Unity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only in regard to the essentials.

Right. There can be unity amongst those who disagree.

Just don't mess with the gospel. Or you might have crept in like the ones in Jude 1:4.

4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Certain men try to creep in with a perverted gospel so we must be looking for them.

More on the word lascivious: What is Lasciviousness?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Ferris You must be born again, You don't believe you will become unborn you just are it.... You save others with the cross, once you have believed in it you can never do away with the cross, it turns into the great commission
Thank you, but I'll go with what the Bible says and do that......

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. Hebrews 4:14

By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. 1 Corinthians 15:2

Whether you think believing just happens automatically, or God does it for you, or you have to do that, either way that doesn't change the fact that the Bible admonishes us to keep believing to the very end. It's funny how some think the Bible is teaching a works gospel when it tells us to keep believing.

Reactions: Wynona

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ferris Bueller

I’m probably misunderstanding your post.

I’m not trying to be confrontational friend.
I believe that faith must be living and active for it to be the faith that saves. To go back to a life of disobedience in unbelief is a rejection of the forgiveness of God. It's a denial of Christ.

Reactions: amigo de christo

HisLife

Aug 24, 2020
Napier
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Thank you, but I'll go with what the Bible says and do that......

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. Hebrews 4:14

By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. 1 Corinthians 15:2

Whether you think believing just happens automatically, or God does it for you, or you have to do that, either way that doesn't change the fact that the Bible admonishes us to keep believing to the very end. It's funny how some think the Bible is teaching a works gospel when it tells us to keep believing.

Are you born again? Do you think Jesus Lives inside you? you must be born again.

I agree with you Ferris you have to hold firmly to the Gospel

The Gospel:...By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

If you get a glimpse of that you will believe to the end, as to who would we go? Jesus has the the words of eternal life.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Im on the fence about is whether there can be unity despite disagreements on the gospel.

A big part of me hopes the answer is yes. But I honestly need to look at Scripture again on the issue.
"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?" 1 Corinthians 6:14-15

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?" 1 Corinthians 6:14-15

Wishful thinking is a funny thing.

I remember growing up as the youngest member of my family. Whenever things got tense, I would say something funny or stupid to break the tension.

Im still like that to this day. I do not like seeing people argue. I wish we could be a family and all get along.

But the Bible is clear about the judgment of those who pervert the gospel. I don't think that means that those who have wrong theology are not Christians. My theology was wrong too. I used to believe in OSAS until I read the Bible for myself.

But I do think the text is talking about those who teach others what to believe. Which is scary because I see people on here teaching their own ideas and almost holding Scripture in contempt.

I just hate that! My feelings say were all on a journey and some are simply misguided. But I also know that Ive seen some very un Christian behaviour---especially on the OSAS side if Im being honest.

Im starting to see claws, fangs, and wolfish behaviour and I can't just keep ignoring it and pretending all of us are just sheep learning together when the Bible warns of false teachers and wolves.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My feelings say were all on a journey and some are simply misguided. But I also know that Ive seen some very un Christian behaviour---especially on the OSAS side if Im being honest.

Im starting to see claws, fangs, and wolfish behaviour and I can't just keep ignoring it and pretending all of us are just sheep learning together when the Bible warns of false teachers and wolves.
Yep. As you know, by their fruits you will know the false prophet.....

“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Matthew 7:15-16
Peace is necessary for unity.....

...keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:3
But if someone is going to sit across the table from me at a Bible study and call me names like 'deceiver' and tell me I'm unsaved because I don't agree with their non-essential doctrine that they claim is essential then there's not going to be peace. Not because of me, but because of them.

...so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all people. Romans 12:18

You yourself can be peaceable, but there will be no peace if someone is always in your face tearing you down.

Reactions: Wynona

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you born again? Do you think Jesus Lives inside you? you must be born again.

I agree with you Ferris you have to hold firmly to the Gospel

The Gospel:...By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

If you get a glimpse of that you will believe to the end, as to who would we go? Jesus has the the words of eternal life.
I'm fine with anyone thinking they will always believe. That's between the believer and God. But Paul found it necessary to warn the church about being arrogant and conceited about it......

They were broken off because of unbelief, but you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. For if God did not spare the natural branches (because of unbelief), He will certainly not spare you either (because of unbelief). Romans 11:20-21

That kind of tells me believers can stop believing. But I'm with you insofar as the forgiveness of sin, when truly felt and appreciated, is pretty hard to throw away. That's why I think it really depends on how meaningful your conversion was if you're likely to fall away or not. I'm of the opinion that most Christians just don't have a heartfelt Luke 18:13 conversion experience to make turning back to unbelief an impossibility.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
all these words about unity! It's baffling that so much should be said about something so basic....and not only that, the repetition of what is clearly known is a head shaker.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the case of the lack of unity in online communities, I think the obvious issue and difference between this and a church setting is the anonymity factor. And the very real opportunity for pretending to be a believer.
Which would naturally generate conflict.

Reading some posts, one can presume that what is said in the most heated ones would never come to be said were they face to face with folks in an actual church setting.

God knows the day and time of his second coming. Meanwhile, I think he tasks us with living the truth in the gospel. More so than defending what its written word means to say in our opinion.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Every believer knows all about the cross..

And some believers teach some form of self saving.
Thats you.
And when you do this, you are "against" the Cross, as the Cross does not offer you any self righteousness.

You have the deceived idea turned into Galatians 1:8 that "faith saved you".
It didnt.
So, holding unto what can't save you, has become your Savior.
Thats a self righteous fail.

Its like this ferris.
Jesus is Salvation.
If you have Him IN YOU< then this same Jesus who is Salvation, keeps you saved.
If you have eternal life, its not because you didnt lose your faith , its because Jesus WHO IS ETERNAL LIFE, has become yours.
Understand?
You dont have to try to keep believing so that He will keep saving you.
And once you understand this, it could be that you'll turn from your self saving, =holding unto what can't save you to begin with, .......to actual trust in Jesus to KEEP you saved.
At this time, you do not believe this...
You believe..."as long as i keep believing then Jesus will keep saving me".
And that's not how being "born again", actually manifests Salvation.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
If one wants unity ,
and never look back .

Why do denominations exist?
Why do christian forums function like total mass confusion?

Its because of one issue.
wrongly dividing the word.

And why does this happen?
Its because most believers are not grounded in this verse, from the beginning of their walk with God. Hebrews 13:9

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do denominations exist? Why do christian forums function like total mass confusion? Its because of one issue. wrongly dividing the word.

No.

It is because men insist on making the scripture void in varying degrees by men’s doctrines in one fashion or another (just look at all the Christian gangs out there; there so many varieties of heretic assemblies out there).

Mark 7:7-9,13
[7] Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. [8] For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men... [9] ...Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition. [13] Making the word of God of none effect

Interestingly, you saying it is because of “wrongly dividing the word” plainly exposes your dependence on the false doctrine of Dispensational Truth.

Acts 20:30
...of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

2 Corinthians 2:17
For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God

As far as I can tell, these internet boards are filled with scripture corrupters, who change the word of God at will with absolutely no fear. It is like they are ABOVE the law of God.

In their minds, They are going to teach everyone what this ancient complicated book is REALLY teaching...

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You dont have to try to keep believing so that He will keep saving you.
And once you understand this, it could be that you'll turn from your self saving, =holding unto what can't save you to begin with, .......to actual trust in Jesus to KEEP you saved.
You're telling me to turn from 'keep believing' to 'trust in Jesus'. 'Keep believing' is 'trust in Jesus'. Keep believing literally means keep trusting in Jesus.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You believe..."as long as i keep believing then Jesus will keep saving me".
Almost. It goes like this: As long as I keep believing, Jesus will keep me in his salvation. His ministry and sacrifice is completed, but it's always interceding for the believer, as long as they keep trusting in it. That's why we're told to keep believing in it.....

Therefore He is able to save completely those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to intercede for them. Hebrews 7:25

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we profess. Hebrews 4:14
See it? The completed, but ongoing ministry of Jesus is always interceding for the believer. That's why we're told to hold firmly to him in faith. You lose the benefit of the completed but ongoing intercessory ministry and sacrifice of Christ if you stop believing and go back to your life of sin.

If we deliberately go on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no further sacrifice for sins remains Hebrews 10:26
So don't stop trusting in it!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can be unified in our fellowship with the Spirit even if some of us think we'll always believe in Christ, while some think you may not if you don't want to. But there will be no unity of peace if one or the other insists the other one believe what they do on this non essential point of doctrine. What is essential is that you continue to believe! That's what matters!

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the truth, once centralized on the person of Jesus Christ, will bring unity and not division. The truth of God's Word should bring oneness and not categorization amongst us.

The God we serve is a God of unity who desires that His church live in unity and harmony built on the foundation that is Jesus Christ. It is Jesus who draws us together and the power of the Holy Spirit that make our bond stronger.

God stands and affirms the power of unity in getting things done. In Genesis 11:6 the Lord spoke of the power of the people of Babel saying, "Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do. And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them."

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I will take the bond of the Spirit over the efforts of man, whether they be to build a tower, or a denomination. Both have been scattered.
Jesus asked the Father to make us one...something went wrong, and it's not on Their end. :)

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is Jesus who draws us together and the power of the Holy Spirit that make our bond stronger.
I will take the bond of the Spirit over the efforts of man, whether they be to build a tower, or a denomination.
Unity is all about the Spirit. But not just in the fact that all of us have the Spirit, but rather that we are all enjoying and experiencing the Spirit that is within us. That is the shared experience that joins us together in brotherly peace. But not a lot of us Christians have that experience with the Spirit within them. Instead, they default to the study and construction of correct doctrines, as if that's what it means to know and experience God by the Holy Spirit. There will never be singularity and unity in that. But there will always be unity in the shared experience of experiencing God in our daily living......."I loved my enemy today, let me tell you about it, and we will be happy and praise God together!"

Reactions: Truman