(Validity) of Trials of Adversity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mike Dwight

Mar 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So my Pastor had a theme called "University of Adversity". That's pretty generic, really. This issue will differ with the Denominations. What is the actual Validity of Trials? You c ould go to superstitious Medieval times, Faith was supposed to become Valid through a trial, or say a Witch floating in a river, or escaping a burning pyre. Now, those are pretty far-fetched. More like, if Jesus failed Satan's test, brain-freeze, is that really a "Sin"? Brain freeze Perhaps! Faith isn't a Ethics Schema based on outcomes. Let me know what you think about that. Well, Christianity isn't Buddha sitting under a tree for a decade, Either. Let me know what you think. I'm not Exactly talking about Works. I don't want to get into that. I have a lot of dissonance with the "Run the Race" quote, from Some Bible part , who knows, the idea that Faith alone will have Approvable metrics. There's no Karate Belt rankings!
Hey, if you think about it, a lot of Universal Moralists would look at the Bottom Line and say he threw a society into a frenzy, got people executed, it doesn't make for a output -centric result.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did I miss the first half of the OP? Or is this some sort of inside conversation....

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As believers, children and sons of God, our whole experience in this life is for the purpose of making us like God wants us. This includes trials, doubts, failure, faith and victory.

I don't believe that Jesus temptation in the wilderness was of satan's making. I believe it was God's. (Matt. 4:1) says Jesus was "led up of the Spirit into the wilderness." Mark is more emphatic in (Mark 1:12) and says "And immediately the Spirit driveth him into the wilderness." This is all set up by God. I doubt satan wanted any part of it, for he knew who Jesus was. The goal here was never to see 'if' Jesus could sin. The goal was to show that He would not sin, and that as the Last Adam, He was qualified for that which He must do.

Stranger

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Mike

I'm not sure it WILL vary that much between denominations.

I think any major differences you find in answers will be more the result of levels of more trust in God (faith) versus less trust in God (faith) that people have.

Paul said the race we are in is a race of trust. And Jesus said its very hard for a rich man to enter in. People who are poor, its not that they are better at trusting, its that they don't have money to fall back on and trust for "security." They don't have that illusion as an option. But then, they do go through having the illusion that HAVING more money would make them more secure. So I'm not sure the different men will have such vastly different tests (adversities), but the poor man may see the illusion that money IS more quickly than the rich man. He may more quickly see that he isn't really trusting God and may more quickly see that to trust Him instead of worrying isn't dependant on money but on reckoning that God will stretch his money and make his sandals not wear out for 40 years so that he doesn't NEED money for another pair.

The race of trust is refusing worry (about money, about your health, about the health of your loved ones, and many other things.) Its just that money is the first big hurdle in most men's race to trust.

When testing/trials/ adversities come, they press against and are a challenge to our trust in God rather than falling to worry based on whether our circumstances are easy or hard.

He wants one thing from us - trust. So it's the one thing adversities will press against and test the strength or lack of - our trust.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi Mike

I'm not sure it WILL vary that much between denominations.

I think any major differences you find in answers will be more the result of levels of more trust in God (faith) versus less trust in God (faith) that people have.

Paul said the race we are in is a race of trust. And Jesus said its very hard for a rich man to enter in. People who are poor, its not that they are better at trusting, its that they don't have money to fall back on and trust for "security." They don't have that illusion as an option. But then, they do go through having the illusion that HAVING more money would make them more secure. So I'm not sure the different men will have such vastly different tests (adversities), but the poor man may see the illusion that money IS more quickly than the rich man. He may more quickly see that he isn't really trusting God and may more quickly see that to trust Him instead of worrying isn't dependant on money but on reckoning that God will stretch his money and make his sandals not wear out for 40 years so that he doesn't NEED money for another pair.

The race of trust is refusing worry (about money, about your health, about the health of your loved ones, and many other things.) Its just that money is the first big hurdle in most men's race to trust.

When testing/trials/ adversities come, they press against and are a challenge to our trust in God rather than falling to worry based on whether our circumstances are easy or hard.

He wants one thing from us - trust. So it's the one thing adversities will press against and test the strength or lack of - our trust.
Proverbs 3.5-6

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

SkyWriting

May 19, 2019
Milwaukee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So my Pastor had a theme called "University of Adversity". That's pretty generic, really. This issue will differ with the Denominations. What is the actual Validity of Trials? You c ould go to superstitious Medieval times, Faith was supposed to become Valid through a trial, or say a Witch floating in a river, or escaping a burning pyre. Now, those are pretty far-fetched. More like, if Jesus failed Satan's test, brain-freeze, is that really a "Sin"? Brain freeze Perhaps! Faith isn't a Ethics Schema based on outcomes. Let me know what you think about that. Well, Christianity isn't Buddha sitting under a tree for a decade, Either. Let me know what you think. I'm not Exactly talking about Works. I don't want to get into that. I have a lot of dissonance with the "Run the Race" quote, from Some Bible part , who knows, the idea that Faith alone will have Approvable metrics. There's no Karate Belt rankings!
Hey, if you think about it, a lot of Universal Moralists would look at the Bottom Line and say he threw a society into a frenzy, got people executed, it doesn't make for a output -centric result.

Take a witch with you when boating, becasue they float well.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Mike,

Just seeing this . . .

But you remind me of Peter:

1 Peter 1
6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations (testings or temptations, same word, peirasmos):
7 That the trial (that is, proving) of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

I think that the proving of our faith, if I'm understanding you correctly, is meant more to be seen by ourselves and Jesus.

"and then every man will receive praise from God", we receive praise from God and not from men, so the proving is towards the One Who will praise us.

"tribulation works experience", that is, the evidence within ourselves, that God is true and our faith is true.

As we come through our afflictions and testings and temptations, this builds my confidence before God, and God rewards me for what is done, talking about amazing grace!

I think that as we try to gauge other people's spiritual maturity, there is simply too much we don't know. And we may not have a very accurate view of either the person or the situation.

One such example would be a person who commits the same sin over and over, and we feel they may be somehow "less than". But we may not know the actual stuggle they have, and how much overcoming they are already doing on their path into santification.

We can't know another person's life experience, and I think it safe to say no one's is like mine, and visa versa.

Much love!
Mark