Was Bible Possession banned by the Catholic Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
In the Catholic Church I attended the Franciscan nuns did discourage personal Bible study during our catechism sessions.

Yes.

I remember sitting in a chair on the platform as an altar boy wishing they would read more of the Bible. They never did while I was there.

Yes.

And as for me... some of my Favorite Saints are Catholics.

Its the CC Theology that is the issue.

I have a Thread here, that is dedicated to "favorite Saints" and most of them are Catholic.

I could name you many amazing Catholics whose walk with God, was not HINDERED by the cult of Mary's Theology., which shows us that God is able to take someone, anyone..at any time.. into a place that is not "theological" but is "one with God"...

And that one, has a heart for God....that God recognizes.

I teach my students to study the lives of these Saints to notice their advanced spirituality, and their revelation writings, but never their theology, as that is always "catholic".

A few?

St. Francis

Mary of Egypt

Margeurite Porette

Angela of Foligno

Hildegard of Bingen

Reactions: amadeus

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The OP topic is about banning bibles. Can we stay on it, please?

Good.
-
A list of 52 countries where the bible is illegal and/or severely persecuted:

1. Afghanistan
  2. Iran
  3. Kazakhstan
  4. Kyrgyzstan
  5. Maldives
  6. Mauritania
  7. North Korea
  8. Saudi Arabia
  9. Somalia
  10. Tajikistan
  11. Turkmenistan
  12. Uzbekistan
  13. Yemen
  14. Algeria
  15. Bhutan
  16. Brunei
  17. China
  18. Cuba
  19. Djibouti
  20. Eritrea
  21. Kuwait
  22. Laos
  23. Libya
  24. Malaysia
  25. Morocco
  26. Oman
  27. Sudan
  28. Tunisia
  29. Bahrain
  30. Bangladesh
  31. Central African Republic
  32. Columbia
  33. Egypt
  34. Ethiopia
  35. India
  36. Iraq
  37. Jordan
  38. Kenya
  39. Lebanon
  40. Mali
  41. Myanmar (Burma)
  42. Nepal
  43. Niger
  44. Nigeria
  45. Pakistan
  46. Philippines (Mindanao)
  47. Sri Lanka
  48. Syria
  49. Tanzania
  50. Turkey
  51. United Arab Emirates
  52. Vietnam

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what about the interstitial period between Pentecost and the publication of the various books of the NT in the latter half of the first century C.E, when oral teaching and oral tradition from the apostles and those they instructed was "all anyone had?" Did all of that oral teaching and tradition just grind to a halt once the NT was compiled?

Why should the writing of the NT have ended that apostolic authority? I see no reason it should. Whether to challenge the RCC as the repository of that authority today is a separate matter – but I am curious to understand your thinking regarding the replacement of apostolic authority with the NT canon. It makes no sense to me.
I don't understand apostolic authority. The Bible apostles only expounded on what Christ said . It was the church that came up with rosaries, scapulars, indulgences, icons in services, Mary veneration.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good.
-

1. Afghanistan
  2. Iran
  3. Kazakhstan
  4. Kyrgyzstan
  5. Maldives
  6. Mauritania
  7. North Korea
  8. Saudi Arabia
  9. Somalia
  10. Tajikistan
  11. Turkmenistan
  12. Uzbekistan
  13. Yemen
  14. Algeria
  15. Bhutan
  16. Brunei
  17. China
  18. Cuba
  19. Djibouti
  20. Eritrea
  21. Kuwait
  22. Laos
  23. Libya
  24. Malaysia
  25. Morocco
  26. Oman
  27. Sudan
  28. Tunisia
  29. Bahrain
  30. Bangladesh
  32. Columbia
  33. Egypt
  34. Ethiopia
  35. India
  36. Iraq
  37. Jordan
  38. Kenya
  39. Lebanon
  40. Mali
  41. Myanmar (Burma)
  42. Nepal
  43. Niger
  44. Nigeria
  45. Pakistan
  47. Sri Lanka
  48. Syria
  49. Tanzania
  50. Turkey
  51. United Arab Emirates
  52. Vietnam
Do you have some reason to think the Vatican is behind this, in a single one of these 51 countries? (I say 51, not 52. We should discuss Lebanon separately, where there is no official state religion, there are many Christians, and toleration is the norm. You may end up taking them off your list -- but let's not hijack this thread; we can do the analysis elsewhere.)

• Haha
Reactions: The Learner

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE RCC BANNING BIBLES? Stay on topic please!

The OP topic is about banning bibles. Can we stay on it, please?

let's not hijack this thread
Behold can only invoke Appeal to Diversion. He does not like the history of his denomination but knows he cannot defend it. So, rather than allow others to learn, he aims to distract. Sad. Insecure.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't understand apostolic authority. The Bible apostles only expounded on what Christ said . It was the church that came up with rosaries, scapulars, indulgences, icons in services, Mary veneration.
Hey, Cassandra! Good question...

In our day and age, everyone seems to be concerned with "power" rather than authority. The two are distinctly different. Usually, power is "taken" while authority is "given." When I was a young man, I was an officer in the military. I had a certain level of authority given me by my superiors, who had also been given a level of authority by their superiors, etc., up the chain to the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, the President. I could, however, delegate (give) this authority to those under me to carry out tasks for which I was responsible. They didn't have the right to just take the authority to do these things if I hadn't given it to them.

Likewise, Jesus gave His authority to certain men (the Apostles, to begin with) to do certain things. A good example is the forgiveness of sins. We sometimes hear "Only God has the authority to forgive sins." He most certainly does. However, Jesus, Who is God, delegated (gave) His Godly authority to forgive sins to the Apostles in the upper room. See John 20:19-23, which says,

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit.
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

We see a few things here that tell us something. 1) Jesus is not talking to the crowds, but to the Apostles in the upper room. 2) Only two times in all Scripture both Old and New Testament, do we see God "breathe" on man. Once in Genesis, when He created Adam, and once here. So it must be something very significant going on, yes? 3) Jesus delegates His Godly authority to forgive sins to the Apostles. "Whose sins YOU forgive ARE forgiven them.." etc. This authority was eventually passed on to the successors of the Apostles, the bishops. (The difference between the Apostles and the bishops are that the Apostles lived with and were taught directly by Jesus. Both have the same level of God-given authority, however.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At least they try to follow the scriptures, not follow traditions of man whose origins are not of God to say the least.
YOU can actually tell me that with a straight face after I just gave you a litany of man-made Protestant inventions?

• Love

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, Cassandra! Good question...

In our day and age, everyone seems to be concerned with "power" rather than authority. The two are distinctly different. Usually, power is "taken" while authority is "given." When I was a young man, I was an officer in the military. I had a certain level of authority given me by my superiors, who had also been given a level of authority by their superiors, etc., up the chain to the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, the President. I could, however, delegate (give) this authority to those under me to carry out tasks for which I was responsible. They didn't have the right to just take the authority to do these things if I hadn't given it to them.

Likewise, Jesus gave His authority to certain men (the Apostles, to begin with) to do certain things. A good example is the forgiveness of sins. We sometimes hear "Only God has the authority to forgive sins." He most certainly does. However, Jesus, Who is God, delegated (gave) His Godly authority to forgive sins to the Apostles in the upper room. See John 20:19-23, which says,

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.”
When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit.
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

We see a few things here that tell us something. 1) Jesus is not talking to the crowds, but to the Apostles in the upper room. 2) Only two times in all Scripture both Old and New Testament, do we see God "breathe" on man. Once in Genesis, when He created Adam, and once here. So it must be something very significant going on, yes? 3) Jesus delegates His Godly authority to forgive sins to the Apostles. "Whose sins YOU forgive ARE forgiven them.." etc. This authority was eventually passed on to the successors of the Apostles, the bishops. (The difference between the Apostles and the bishops are that the Apostles lived with and were taught directly by Jesus. Both have the same level of God-given authority, however.
I would only add that rubbing elbows with the original apostles, and with those who did so, was considered a big credential in the early years of Christianity. For example, Irenaeus mentions that Polycarp was"instructed by the apostles, and conversed with many who had seen the Lord," and that Papias had known the apostle John.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would only add that rubbing elbows with the original apostles, and with those who did so, was considered a big credential in the early years of Christianity. For example, Irenaeus mentions that Polycarp was"instructed by the apostles, and conversed with many who had seen the Lord," and that Papias had known the apostle John.
Good point.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I don't understand apostolic authority.

The cult of mary likes to pretend that Peter is the first pope, and all the rest are given by God as "God's literal mouthpiece".

So, if they can convince you of that ,then they are good to go..
They've convinced billions.

And here is the thing about that "1st pope" nonsense.

Its this..........

The person whom Jesus personally Chose to be the deliverer of Church Doctrine, and who wrote most of the NT Epistles....and whom Peter said of Paul's LETTERs....>"they are TORAH" "Scripture"... when Peter had them in his hand.

Paul said of Peter one time.....that He "walked not according the Truth".., and Paul told the body of Christ....>"follow ME as i follow Christ".

And God wanted that verse in His Bible, or it would not be in there..

Peter learned from PAUL, the Actual Gospel..

And you would think that The cult of mary, would have nominated PAUL as their #1.

A.) Nope.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good.
-

1. Afghanistan
  2. Iran
  3. Kazakhstan
  4. Kyrgyzstan
  5. Maldives
  6. Mauritania
  7. North Korea
  8. Saudi Arabia
  9. Somalia
  10. Tajikistan
  11. Turkmenistan
  12. Uzbekistan
  13. Yemen
  14. Algeria
  15. Bhutan
  16. Brunei
  17. China
  18. Cuba
  19. Djibouti
  20. Eritrea
  21. Kuwait
  22. Laos
  23. Libya
  24. Malaysia
  25. Morocco
  26. Oman
  27. Sudan
  28. Tunisia
  29. Bahrain
  30. Bangladesh
  32. Columbia
  33. Egypt
  34. Ethiopia
  35. India
  36. Iraq
  37. Jordan
  38. Kenya
  39. Lebanon
  40. Mali
  41. Myanmar (Burma)
  42. Nepal
  43. Niger
  44. Nigeria
  45. Pakistan
  47. Sri Lanka
  48. Syria
  49. Tanzania
  50. Turkey
  51. United Arab Emirates
  52. Vietnam
mostly Muslim NS ORHER false teachers.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Was Bible Possession banned by the Catholic Church​

I thought they were possessed with the Bible's misinterpretation!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repost for info

You know what Satan REALLY loves?

False doctrines like Sola Scriptura and Sola Fide. It has separated Protestantism into tends of thousands of disjointed and perpetually splintering factions because you ALL interpret Scripture differently.

Some pf you believe in baptismal regeneration, while others do not.
Some believe in soul-sleep, while others do not.
Some believe in the total depravity of man, while others do not.
Some believe in the Holy Trinity, while others do not.
Some believe in doctrine of “once saved, always saved”, while others do not.
Some believe in a pre-tribulation “Rapture”, while others do not.
Some believe that only those who were predestined will make it to heaven, while others do not.
Some believe that some were predestined for hell, while others do not.
Some believe in a woman’s right to choose abortion, while others do not.
Some believe that practicing homosexuality is a sin, while others do not.
Most believe in contraception, while others do not – and the confusion goes on . . .

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Repost too

1. Calling the priests "father" is forbidden. (Matt. 23:9)

Do you call your dad Father?

Matthew 1:3
and Judah the father of Perez and Zerah by Tamar, and Perez the father of Hezron, and Hezron the father of Ram,

Matthew 15:4
For God commanded, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’

AMP
Do not call anyone on earth [who guides you spiritually] your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.

PHILLIPS
Then Jesus addressed the crowds and his disciples. “The scribes and the Pharisees speak with the authority of Moses,” he told them, “so you must do what they tell you and follow their instructions. But you must not imitate their lives! For they preach but do not practise. They pile up back-breaking burdens and lay them on other men’s shoulders—yet they themselves will not raise a finger to move them. Their whole lives are planned with an eye to effect. They increase the size of their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their robes; they love seats of honour at dinner parties and front places in the synagogues. They love to be greeted with respect in public places and to have men call them ‘rabbi!’ Don’t you ever be called ‘rabbi’—you have only one teacher, and all of you are brothers. And don’t call any human being ‘father’—for you have one Father and he is in Heaven. And you must not let people call you ‘leaders’—you have only one leader, Christ! The only ‘superior’ among you is the one who serves the others. For every man who promotes himself will be humbled, and every man who learns to be humble will find promotion.

MSG
“Don’t let people do that to you, put you on a pedestal like that. You all have a single Teacher, and you are all classmates. Don’t set people up as experts over your life, letting them tell you what to do. Save that authority for God; let him tell you what to do. No one else should carry the title of ‘Father’; you have only one Father, and he’s in heaven. And don’t let people maneuver you into taking charge of them. There is only one Life-Leader for you and them—Christ.

Matthew 23:30
saying, ‘If we had lived in the days of our fathers,

Romans 4:12
and to make him the father of the circumcised who are not merely circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised.

1 Corinthians 4:15
For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

Galatians 4:2
but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by his father.

Ephesians 5:31
“Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”

Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Philippians 2:22
But you know Timothy's proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel.

1 Thessalonians 2:10-12

English Standard Version

10 You are witnesses, and God also, how holy and righteous and blameless was our conduct toward you believers. 11 For you know how, like a father with his children, 12 we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory.

Spiritual Fathers exist for us all.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2. Praying repetitively using rosary beads is forbidden. (Matt. 6:7)

Matthew 6:7

English Standard Version

7 “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

I don't see how that relats, please explain so, I can learn. thanks daniel

3. Teaching that Mary the virgin Mary never had sex after Jesus was born and that Jesus had no brothers and sisters is untrue. (Matt. 13:55-56)(Matt. 1:24-25)

I have read both sides of this, no need to rehash.

4. Worshipping idols, icons and images violates the 2nd commandment. (Exodus 20:4-5)

No catholic I know worships icons or pictrures.

5. Human tradition and man-made doctrine is apostacy. (Mark 7:7-9)

There is apolostolic tradition.

Thus Paul tells the Corinthians, “I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you” (1 Cor. 11:2), and he commands the Thessalonians, “So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter” (2 Thess. 2:15).

Papias​

“Papias [A.D. 120], who is now mentioned by us, affirms that he received the sayings of the apostles from those who accompanied them, and he, moreover, asserts that he heard in person Aristion and the presbyter John. Accordingly, he mentions them frequently by name, and in his writings gives their traditions [concerning Jesus]. . . . [There are] other passages of his in which he relates some miraculous deeds, stating that he acquired the knowledge of them from tradition” (fragment in Eusebius, Church History 3:39 [A.D. 312]).

Hegesippus​

“At that time [A.D. 150] there flourished in the Church Hegesippus, whom we know from what has gone before, and Dionysius, bishop of Corinth, and another bishop, Pinytus of Crete, and besides these, Philip, and Apollinarius, and Melito, and Musanus, and Modestus, and, finally, Irenaeus. From them has come down to us in writing, the sound and orthodox faith received from tradition” (fragment in Eusebius, Church History 4:21).

Irenaeus​

“As I said before, the Church, having received this preaching and this faith, although she is disseminated throughout the whole world, yet guarded it, as if she occupied but one house. She likewise believes these things just as if she had but one soul and one and the same heart; and harmoniously she proclaims them and teaches them and hands them down, as if she possessed but one mouth. For, while the languages of the world are diverse, nevertheless, the authority of the tradition is one and the same” (Against Heresies 1:10:2 [A.D. 189]).

“That is why it is surely necessary to avoid them [heretics], while cherishing with the utmost diligence the things pertaining to the Church, and to lay hold of the tradition of truth. . . . What if the apostles had not in fact left writings to us? Would it not be necessary to follow the order of tradition, which was handed down to those to whom they entrusted the churches?” (ibid., 3:4:1).

“It is possible, then, for everyone in every church, who may wish to know the truth, to contemplate the tradition of the apostles which has been made known throughout the whole world. And we are in a position to enumerate those who were instituted bishops by the apostles and their successors to our own times—men who neither knew nor taught anything like these heretics rave about.

“But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the successions of all the churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here the successions of the bishops of the greatest and most ancient church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul, that church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the apostles.

“With this church, because of its superior origin, all churches must agree—that is, all the faithful in the whole world—and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition” (ibid., 3:3:1–2).

Clement of Alexandria​

“Well, they preserving the tradition of the blessed doctrine derived directly from the holy apostles, Peter, James, John, and Paul, the sons receiving it from the father (but few were like the fathers), came by God’s will to us also to deposit those ancestral and apostolic seeds. And well I know that they will exult; I do not mean delighted with this tribute, but solely on account of the preservation of the truth, according as they delivered it. For such a sketch as this, will, I think, be agreeable to a soul desirous of preserving from loss the blessed tradition” (Miscellanies 1:1 [A.D. 208]).