Was Jesus 'mortal' or 'immortal' ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I answer to the question at the top of the thread, I would say that in his human form he was mortal - he could die, which he did - and in his resurrected form he is immortal.
A human form! What does that mean? Either he was a mortal human person or not I would think. It seem you are suggesting he was a hybrid human or some type of humanoid. I'm not trying to be funny either.

Reactions: ChristisGod

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A human form! What does that mean? Either he was a mortal human person or not I would think. It seem you are suggesting he was a hybrid human or some type of humanoid. I'm not trying to be funny either.
The "hybrid" is pretty much standard theology, though, isn't it? "Fully God" and "fully human." We just had this discussion on another thread. If Jesus was "fully God," then He would have been omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, which He obviously wasn't. So then we have the wrinkle that He supposedly "limited" these divine attributes in submission to the Father. I'm not trying to be funny either, but it does become somewhat of a head-scratcher regardless of one's views on the Trinity.

Reactions: Brakelite and APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "hybrid" is pretty much standard theology, though, isn't it? "Fully God" and "fully human." We just had this discussion on another thread. If Jesus was "fully God," then He would have been omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, which He obviously wasn't. So then we have the wrinkle that He supposedly "limited" these divine attributes in submission to the Father. I'm not trying to be funny either, but it does become somewhat of a head-scratcher regardless of one's views on the Trinity.
Yes, I have also found this to be true....a head-scratcher indeed.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Without the truth of yourself, what exactly are you sharing and with whom?
Definitely, am not sharing with you, because you sound like an outsider who've sneaked in. A thief who have not come though the gate but have climb over the fence..

Last edited:

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Amen.

Jesus was 'mortal' or 'immortal' ?

'For we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.'

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Well they have a statement of faith because it is basically a Christian forum and the statement of faith is what all true Christians - i.e. born again believers - believe. As is obvious not all the members of this forum are born again believers though.
You got that right, they think they know something from the Bible scriptures, when apparently they know nothing at all.

Am not elated saying this, but am sad, tired and weary, going back and forth with them. And, we end up deviating from the topic of the thread itself. Ironically, to one tread topic, witness to how many post it gets to, even to another would post a new tread related to the same topic.

For it is written, 'Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.'

As Jesus disciple us, "You will know them by their fruit."

Peace in Jesus name.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
C
Oh, I have no problem with it. In my experience, the Trinity, Universalism, Once Saved Always Saved, LBGTQ and about 40 other issues are guaranteed to bring out the worst. I do always find the notion of a forum Statement of Faith slightly comical, but whatever.
Comical, in other word, 'lawlessness'.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
I was ASKING @Lambano what the forbidden topic is. Someone had alerted me the Trinity was a touchy subject here, but I don't know if it is the forbidden topic to which Lambano was referring.
Did you discuss Trinity in the correct site, especially, Bible discussion forum ?

Why don't you open a new tread there about Trinity ?

Peace in Jesus name.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you discuss Trinity in the correct site, especially, Bible discussion forum ?

Why don't you open a new tread there about Trinity ?

Peace in Jesus name.
Earth to Fred: I didn't discuss the Trinity AT ALL. Lambano suggested there was a forbidden topic on these forums. I simply asked what it was. Someone else explained it's the Trinity. Much ado about nothing.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Earth to Fred: I didn't discuss the Trinity AT ALL. Lambano suggested there was a forbidden topic on these forums. I simply asked what it was. Someone else explained it's the Trinity. Much ado about nothing.
i believe in the Trinity, FATHER, Son and the Holy Spirit.

In the matters of Heaven and earth, and church, the Three are one with each other in the GODHEAD.

Nothing is done that is done without the Three in union and action.

GOD is the HEAD of Christ, and Christ is the Head of the church, and the head of woman is man.

The Holy Spirit is with the church here on earth, representing the Son who represent GOD, and in union with all born again believers.

If this is difficult to grasp by some folks, so be it, and there are no issues. They can believe what they believe, but end of the day the Holy Bible is the authority to reckon with.

In the Gospel we can witness the Trinity in action at one occasion. When Jesus came out of the water, John the Baptist witnessed the Holy Spirit descend on Jesus in form of a dove. At the same time, the voice of GOD from Heaven spoke, and witnessed by those who are meant to witness.

Apparently, there are many other topics in regards the Holy Bible, even prior to quoting verses and explanation, we differ and are divided as well

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not to be picky, but there are statements in the forum Statement of Faith that neither the Orthodox nor the Catholics would agree
Not to be picky but it doesn't matter if the Orthodox or Catholics agree. It is God's ways which are important. Religion isn't always Christian but Christianity is a Relationship with God through Jesus.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You got that right, they think they know something from the Bible scriptures, when apparently they know nothing at all.

Am not elated saying this, but am sad, tired and weary, going back and forth with them. And, we end up deviating from the topic of the thread itself. Ironically, to one tread topic, witness to how many post it gets to, even to another would post a new tread related to the same topic.

For it is written, 'Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.'

As Jesus disciple us, "You will know them by their fruit."

Peace in Jesus name.
@Fred J I only look for or comment on the newer posts with just a few replies because the ones that have been going on forever are just going round in circles.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to be picky but it doesn't matter if the Orthodox or Catholics agree. It is God's ways which are important. Religion isn't always Christian but Christianity is a Relationship with God through Jesus.
Right - but then you and whoever wrote the statement of faith have decided they are the arbiter's of "God's ways." That's my point - why would a Christianity forum need a corporate statement of faith that excludes the two oldest and largest Christian faiths on earth that account for significantly more than half of Christendom? Is a forum a church? A denomination of some sort? Is it a "thing" at all? Why would it intentionally want to be divisive right from the get-go? And now you're lecturing me as though you're the arbiter of Christianity for me. This is why I find a statement of faith for an internet forum slightly comical in the sense of absurd. I truly don't care about this issue to any great extent, but I am beginning to see a certain amount of wisdom in the other forum whose policy was "If you say you're a Christian, you're a Christian. Now let's get on with the conversation and see what being a Christian means to you." I think I am as steeped in theology, apologetics and creeds as much as anyone, and I am not prepared to tell anyone "This the definition of Christianity."

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i believe in the Trinity, FATHER, Son and the Holy Spirit.

In the matters of Heaven and earth, and church, the Three are one with each other in the GODHEAD.

Nothing is done that is done without the Three in union and action.

GOD is the HEAD of Christ, and Christ is the Head of the church, and the head of woman is man.

The Holy Spirit is with the church here on earth, representing the Son who represent GOD, and in union with all born again believers.

If this is difficult to grasp by some folks, so be it, and there are no issues. They can believe what they believe, but end of the day the Holy Bible is the authority to reckon with.

In the Gospel we can witness the Trinity in action at one occasion. When Jesus came out of the water, John the Baptist witnessed the Holy Spirit descend on Jesus in form of a dove. At the same time, the voice of GOD from Heaven spoke, and witnessed by those who are meant to witness.

Apparently, there are many other topics in regards the Holy Bible, even prior to quoting verses and explanation, we differ and are divided as well
Earth to Fred: You apparently want to discuss the Trinity. The post of mine to which you responded had NOTHING - nada, zilch - to do with the Trinity. Who is the "we" you differ with and are "divided" from? It isn't me. If you're going to respond to my posts, at least take 15 seconds to comprehend them and don't make me the straw man for your lectures, well-intentioned as they may be.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Right - but then you and whoever wrote the statement of faith have decided they are the arbiter's of "God's ways."
I had nothing to do with writing the statement of faith or banning discussion about the trinity. My church has a statement of faith on its website so do other websites. It lets people know the important stuff about what they are about to join so that they are clear about what the group stands for.

If you want further answers take it up with one of the admin.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Definitely, am not sharing with you, because you sound like an outsider who've sneaked in. A thief who have not come though the gate but have climb over the fence..
That’s a great example. See what you really are, and you’ll see what I’m really not.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had nothing to do with writing the statement of faith or banning discussion about the trinity. My church has a statement of faith on its website so do other websites. It lets people know the important stuff about what they are about to join so that they are clear about what the group stands for.

If you want further answers take it up with one of the admin.
No, I didn't think you did, but you did wade into the discussion and steered us to it. To be clear, I have no problem with the contents of the Statement of Faith. I don't agree with every word, but it's a fair summary of the Once Saved Always Saved branch of Protestantism. The Orthodox, Catholics and a fair number of Protestants wouldn't agree either, but that's OK. Even in regard to the supposedly forbidden topic of the Trinity, I pointed out that the Statement of Faith is actually pretty flexible as to what can be discussed. You, actually, took the discussion to the level of the Statement of Faith being the definition of "God's ways."

I'm not looking for a heated discussion over something I scarcely care about. I just find a forum statement of faith slighty absurd. No big deal.

Food for thought, perhaps: On another forum, I once went through the exercise, on a paragraph by paragraph basis, of pointing out how long and technical that forum's statement of faith was in comparison to the great creeds that have traditionally defined the Christian faith, such as the Nicene Creed and the Apostles' Creed. The fact that they are no longer "good enough," even for an internet discussion forum, surely tells us something. I think it says the Body of Christ has become ever-more fragmented and exclusionary.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, I didn't think you did, but you did wade into the discussion and steered us to it
I did not 'wade in' as you put it, I intended to be helpful by pointing you to the links. Aren't Christians supposed to be helpful? Or perhaps you didn't recognise it as helping. It's okay.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not 'wade in' as you put it, I intended to be helpful by pointing you to the links. Aren't Christians supposed to be helpful? Or perhaps you didn't recognise it as helping. It's okay.
Sure, I recognized it as helpful and appreciated it! FWIW, I just used the exchange here as the launching pad for a new thread in the Theology forum. If it is helpful to anyone, then the exchange here has indeed been worthwhile.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sure, I recognized it as helpful and appreciated it! FWIW, I just used the exchange here as the launching pad for a new thread in the Theology forum. If it is helpful to anyone, then the exchange here has indeed been worthwhile.
I generally steer well clear of theological discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.