WAS PETER TALKING TO YOU ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you read the first chapter of 1 Peter, it's clear that he is talking to believers. I don't see anything in chapter 1 indicating that Peter is only addressing believers who are descendants of Israel.

In chapter 2, Peter is contrasting Israel who rejected Jesus as the Messiah--"the stone that the builders rejected" to believers, who accept Jesus as the Messiah. He says "but YOU [believers] are a chosen race, a royal priesthood,...." Peter makes no indication that he is not addressing all believers.

1 Peter 2
So rid yourselves of all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all slander. Like newborn infants, desire the pure spiritual milk, so that you may grow by it for your salvation, since you have tasted that the Lord is good. Coming to Him, a living stone — rejected by men but chosen and valuable to God — you yourselves, as living stones, are being built into a spiritual house for a holy priesthood to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

For it is contained in Scripture:

Look! I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and honored cornerstone,
and the one who believes in Him
will never be put to shame!

So honor will come to you who believe, but for the unbelieving,

The stone that the builders rejected —
this One has become the cornerstone,
and
A stone to stumble over,
and a rock to trip over.

They stumble because they disobey the message; they were destined for this.

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood,
a holy nation, a people for His possession,
so that you may proclaim the praises
of the One who called you out of darkness
into His marvelous light.
Once you were not a people,
but now you are God’s people;
you had not received mercy,
but now you have received mercy.
Peter was writing to scattered Jews 1Peter 1:1
Peter spoke of them as a holy nation and priests just as God spoke of concerning Israel Exodus 19:6

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our command is not based on a priesthood ...
Neither is Paul's, for he is from the tribe of Benjamin, not Levi. And yet he had the priestly duty of evangelism. And so it is with all believers, Jew and gentile. We're all in the ministry now, serving in the temple of God's holy people through our various gifts.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter still separates the Gentiles from Israel 1 Peter 2:12 1 Peter 4:3
...but not from believing gentiles. We are one body, and one man with believing Jews. And we're all in the ministry to one extent or another, serving in God's holy temple, his people, where his Spirit dwells.

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...but not from believing gentiles. We are one body, and one man with believing Jews. And we're all in the ministry to one extent or another, serving in God's holy temple, his people, where his Spirit dwells.

Right! Paul said that for all who were baptized into Christ,.. there is neither Jew nor Greek (Gal 3:28).

He also said this:

Ephsesians 2:11-22--Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called “Uncircumcision” by the so-called “Circumcision,” which is performed in the flesh by human hands— remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity. AND HE CAME AND PREACHED PEACE TO YOU WHO WERE FAR AWAY, AND PEACE TO THOSE WHO WERE NEAR; for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

This was spoken to the children of Israel.

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Was Peter talking to the church today, the body of Christ?

Was Peter saying the church today is a holy nation?

Was Peter saying the church today is a priesthood?

Peter was talking to the children of Israel as read in Exodus 19:6.

1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

“Was Peter talking to the church today, the body of Christ?” Is the church, His body ‘a spiritual house’ to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:18-22 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. [19] Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; [20] And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone ; [21] In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: [22] In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

‘Through’ and by the Spirit which God is ‘For through him we both have access by one Spirit(Not the spirit of fear unto bondage again but the spirit of love, power and of a sound mind) unto the Father.’

Matthew 19:5-6 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? [6] Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

What of what God has joined in one spirit? 1 Corinthians 6:16-17 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. [17] But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Peter talking to you?
Acts 10:34-35 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: [35] But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

an odd passage because Acts 10:40-41 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly; [41] Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

yet: Acts 10:44-45 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all them which heard the word. [45] And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 98:2 The Lord hath made known his salvation: his righteousness hath he openly shewed in the sight of the heathen.

even before the above outpouring ‘on the Gentiles also was poured the gift of the Holy Spirit’ ‘Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons.’

The OP (imo) has to maneuver around ‘But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.‘ 1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

And 2 Timothy 3:15-17 says ‘all of the word of God’ ... not diced up and cut up but All ‘And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. [16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.’

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

how much of the word of God is not Spirit, how much of the word of God is void or without ‘the words that I speak unto you, they are Spirit, and they are life?‘... “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void(unprofitable, empty, in vain, without life), but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but the only Gentiles who will enter the kingdom are those who believed the gospel of the kingdom preached by Jesus and the twelve and the Gentile nations who blessed Israel.

Firstly, it's a no brainer that ONLY those who believe on Christ Jesus will reign with Him in His coming Kingdom on earth. My point, in several of my posts, has been to show how those born of Israel that believe on Jesus have believing Gentiles joined with them, so I don't think anyone who has read what I have posted would miss that point.

Secondly, many of lost Israel, like the ten northern tribes which God scattered in the days of the kings of Assyria, those have become 'as'... Gentiles, scattered among the Gentiles, and living as Gentiles. Thorough Bible study reveals this history, and also reveals in final their coming out of obscurity and joined back with the house of Judah (Jews). In Romans 9, Apostle Paul quoted from the Book of Hosea to Roman Gentile believers, which Hosea was written only to the ten northern tribes of Israel, but Paul applies that to Christ's Church in final. So how does that not show believing Israel and believing Gentiles as ONE body in Christ?

And are there so many that lack enough Bible study that they missed that Hosea connection Apostle Paul gave in Romans 9 to show the manifesting of Christ's Church per The New Covenant in final linked with prophecies to Israel given through the OT prophets? Evidently, many brethren wrongly think the Old Testament Books are dead history today when they're not.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 2:9-11 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; [10] But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: [11] For there is no respect of persons with God.

‘for there is no respect of persons with God’ could be wrong but does He not say in the above: tribulation and anguish on that which is after and seeks after the flesh. To the Jew first, and also the Gentile.

But glory, honour, and peace, ...to that which is after the Spirit and seeks after the things of the Lord. To the Jew first, and also to the Gentile.

1 Corinthians 15:47-49 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

so I’m so confused by this whole doctrine of end times.(seven years of great tribulation) As not all were Israel but those which were born after the Spirit. Galatians 4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

even so now ...that born after the flesh persecute that after the Spirit. Yet ‘God is not a respecter of persons’ is not enough but that which was blinded and after the flesh persecuting that after the Spirit ...when it turns again and the vail will be removed. (Seven years of tribulation)Would this not pertain to ALL as God is not a respecter of persons so what God is said to still do for the ‘blind Jew’ after the flesh, will God not also do (seven years of tribulation) the same for the ‘blind Gentile’ after the flesh?

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Firstly, it's a no brainer that ONLY those who believe on Christ Jesus will reign with Him in His coming Kingdom on earth. My point, in several of my posts, has been to show how those born of Israel that believe on Jesus have believing Gentiles joined with them, so I don't think anyone who has read what I have posted would miss that point.

Secondly, many of lost Israel, like the ten northern tribes which God scattered in the days of the kings of Assyria, those have become 'as'... Gentiles, scattered among the Gentiles, and living as Gentiles. Thorough Bible study reveals this history, and also reveals in final their coming out of obscurity and joined back with the house of Judah (Jews). In Romans 9, Apostle Paul quoted from the Book of Hosea to Roman Gentile believers, which Hosea was written only to the ten northern tribes of Israel, but Paul applies that to Christ's Church in final. So how does that not show believing Israel and believing Gentiles as ONE body in Christ?

And are there so many that lack enough Bible study that they missed that Hosea connection Apostle Paul gave in Romans 9 to show the manifesting of Christ's Church per The New Covenant in final linked with prophecies to Israel given through the OT prophets? Evidently, many brethren wrongly think the Old Testament Books are dead history today when they're not.

how many of Israel will be saved? If ALL then does that include those after the Spirit and those after the flesh? That is my question of the same with the Gentiles ...how many will be saved? It changes (imo) not ALL but those after the Spirit. Which is it?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

This was spoken to the children of Israel.

Was Peter talking to the church today, the body of Christ?

Was Peter saying the church today is a holy nation?

Was Peter saying the church today is a priesthood?

Peter was talking to the children of Israel as read in Exodus 19:6.

peter was talking to the born again, not "church people" just as Paul was talking to the same when he spoke of the gentile being grafted in.

how many of the children of Israel was God talking to in exodus? when it was only two souls that survived into the promised land.

many are called and few are chosen. hello.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how many of Israel will be saved? If ALL then does that include those after the Spirit and those after the flesh? That is my question of the same with the Gentiles ...how many will be saved? It changes (imo) not ALL but those after the Spirit. Which is it?

You already inwardly know the answer to that, those who believe on The Father through His Son Jesus Christ, The Gospel, and they remain faithful. That's who will be saved. Your attempt to create a special requirement in your own mind cannot overrule The Word of God on this matter.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
peter was talking to the born again, not "church people" just as Paul was talking to the same when he spoke of the gentile being grafted in.

how many of the children of Israel was God talking to in exodus? when it was only two souls that survived into the promised land.

many are called and few are chosen. hello.

Those 'born again' per John 3 do represent Christ's Church today, so I hope no one is confused on that. Whew!

Those Apostle Peter was talking to about the royal priesthood also represents those of Christ's Church. There's even a detail shown in the Old Testament prophets about serving Christ at His table for the future Millennial time. No wonder Peter also admonished the Church to be mindful of what God gave the OT prophets to write also (2 Peter 3:2).

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those 'born again' per John 3 do represent Christ's Church today, so I hope no one is confused on that. Whew!

no they do not represent the church today, and you know that. tax incentive administrators promoting their theology and thinking to get butts in the pews represent the church today. those who walk with God suffer the same as the prophets did and so did the apostles.

mankind seeks fulfillment of their own desires especially in the "church" or in Israel OT style. those who walk with Christ must tolerate their existence, just as the Lord has for thousands of years. and actually, its a proof if you will, because only those who have the Lord to teach them the way to survive the retched rotting church full of the entitled, are truly faithful.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You already inwardly know the answer to that, those who believe on The Father through His Son Jesus Christ, The Gospel, and they remain faithful. That's who will be saved. Your attempt to create a special requirement in your own mind cannot overrule The Word of God on this matter.

Not trying to create a special requirements. Can read Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Which Romans 2:9-11 seems to support: Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; [10] But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: [11] For there is no respect of persons with God.

Did you answer the question: how many of Israel that were blinded, cast away, diminishing of them ‘be the reconciling of the world ...how many cast away will be saved ‘life from the dead’? Romans 11:15

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you do not quote the above as pertaining to you then?
I can learn and benefit from this verse, but Peter was writing to the remnant of Israel and it was to them that he said they were a holy nation and a kingdom of priests.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can learn and benefit from this verse, but Peter was writing to the remnant of Israel and it was to them that he said they were a holy nation and a kingdom of priests.

might want to remove ‘your joy no man taketh from you.’ also as speaking to them only.