Was the New Testament Originally Written in Greek?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is true that the 4 Gospels existed in Aramaic by at least 78 AD, what evidence is there for the rest of the New Testament?

Start with what Peter says. In II Peter, he references Paul's multiple letters having been available and read by those Peter is addressing.

[2Pe 3:15-16 LSB] 15 just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all [his] letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as [they do] also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Peter's audience had been able to read what Paul had written. So who was Peter's audience. We find out a few verses previous:
[2Pe 3:1 LSB] 1 This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you ...

Who was the first letter addressed to?
[1Pe 1:1 LSB] 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as exiles, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen

It was to the Christians of Jewish heritage who were living outside of the Jewish homeland. Where are those places? In modern day Turkey. So the writings of both Peter and Paul had made it through that entire area. They were able to read it in a language they understood. That language was Aramaic and not Greek. Aramaic was the lingua franca outside of the Roman Empire. It was the lingua franca of the Jewish people whether in their homeland or those living in exile. This is demonstrated in Acts 21:26-40. Paul is arrested after some visiting unbelieving Jews slander him and rile up the residents of Jerusalem. The Roman commander arrests him and is just about to put him in prison. Paul talks to the commander in a different language and he is shocked to hear Paul speaking Greek. This convinces the commander that Paul is being slandered and Paul is allowed to address his accusers - in their own language. He does not speak to them in Greek but in their own language - stated to be the language of the Hebrews.

So things are not as we have always been told. While Paul did know Greek, that does not mean the entire Jewish population knew or spoke Greek. And the content of the New Testament probably was not originally in Greek. But it was translated very soon after being written in Aramaic.
Maybe the gospel was written in the common Greek when it was to be bound in an early book form?

The gospel was spread by word of mouth for many years by Jewish Apostles and after our Jewish Jesus returned home.
If it was written out during that time, I wouldn't think Koine Greek would be the go-to textual language used.
At least among those whose native tongue was likely Hebrew and or Aramaic.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If he had broken any rules it would have been dealt with and also You equally respond back with comments. To presume that you are completely right about a subject and then accuse others Of trying to get this censored is an assumption that is wrong, you are the only one that keeps reporting things.
You cannot post a thread in the Bible study section and just expect everyone to agree with what you are saying. I read back to the beginning and MR E was defending you, then because he had different views you chose to belittle him with your comments. You wanted him to take your post as ‘ gospel ‘ but you chose to not take his post seriously because it disagreed with your conclusion.
Then it became a back and fourth off topic conversation. You contributed to that as well, and kept it going.
If the thread Continues in this manner it will be locked , not to get the subject closed down but because of the continuous accusations against others and the continuous reporting.
I keep reporting obviously bad behaviour to the moderators to DO SOMETHING TO ENFORCE THE RULES. I have tried to make this a DISCUSSION thread about FACTS. But this has become a slander board where bad actors keep posting provably false lies and misinformation. Statements in ignorance. People haven't even done any kind of research otherwise they wouldn't be making such obviously false statement. But it has gone OVER the line to harass, belittle and now SLANDER. This person has gone OVER the line seeking me out elsewhere and harassing me there. This is simply unacceptable.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It would appear that you are not only placing yourself above others here but also the moderators team. This thread will be locked while the matter is discussed

Status
Not open for further replies.