Was the New Testament Originally Written in Greek?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If it is true that the 4 Gospels existed in Aramaic by at least 78 AD, what evidence is there for the rest of the New Testament?

Start with what Peter says. In II Peter, he references Paul's multiple letters having been available and read by those Peter is addressing.

[2Pe 3:15-16 LSB] 15 just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all [his] letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as [they do] also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Peter's audience had been able to read what Paul had written. So who was Peter's audience. We find out a few verses previous:
[2Pe 3:1 LSB] 1 This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you ...

Who was the first letter addressed to?
[1Pe 1:1 LSB] 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as exiles, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen

It was to the Christians of Jewish heritage who were living outside of the Jewish homeland. Where are those places? In modern day Turkey. So the writings of both Peter and Paul had made it through that entire area. They were able to read it in a language they understood. That language was Aramaic and not Greek. Aramaic was the lingua franca outside of the Roman Empire. It was the lingua franca of the Jewish people whether in their homeland or those living in exile. This is demonstrated in Acts 21:26-40. Paul is arrested after some visiting unbelieving Jews slander him and rile up the residents of Jerusalem. The Roman commander arrests him and is just about to put him in prison. Paul talks to the commander in a different language and he is shocked to hear Paul speaking Greek. This convinces the commander that Paul is being slandered and Paul is allowed to address his accusers - in their own language. He does not speak to them in Greek but in their own language - stated to be the language of the Hebrews.

So things are not as we have always been told. While Paul did know Greek, that does not mean the entire Jewish population knew or spoke Greek. And the content of the New Testament probably was not originally in Greek. But it was translated very soon after being written in Aramaic.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I refuted your view on that thread too.
If one really goes deep into the subject of the characteristics of Koine Greek, one discovers that no one ever spoke in this way. Koine Greek is a disjointed, stilted and awkward Greek. It is the same kind of Greek that the Septuagint is written in. The Septuagint is obviously known to be a Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures. Some have the courage to put two plus two together and go where this leads.

Additionally, these topics have been discussed since this assumed "Greek primacy" was first proposed around 1650 by Isaac Voss.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I refuted your view on that thread too.
If one really goes deep into the subject of the characteristics of Koine Greek, one discovers that no one ever spoke in this way. Koine Greek is a disjointed, stilted and awkward Greek. It is the same kind of Greek that the Septuagint is written in. The Septuagint is obviously known to be a Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures. Some have the courage to put two plus two together and go where this leads.

Additionally, these topics have been discussed since this assumed "Greek primacy" was first proposed around 1650 by Isaac Voss.
You refute it and I care.....NOT.
But if you can provide an audio tape we can discuss it.
Writing the scriptures in a language that no one used would make perfect sense......NOT

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, @EclipseEventSigns my thoughts are that the Gospel letters probably were completed around somewhere in 60AD, perhaps. I don't know exactly what language they wrote in, but there is evidence of the old testament being written in hebrew, and jesus had a sign above his head, reading the King of the Jews.

John 19:20 Many of the Jews read this sign, because the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and it was written in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek.

Those are just my thoughts on it by what Johns recording teaches. These seem to be the common languages at the time, not to say that aramaic speaking people or any others did not exist.

All the best,
Matthew

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Because you not only know so little.....and what you do believe is twisted.
LOL. Have you read Michaelis, Neubauer, Murdoch, Etheridge, Norton, Torrey, Burney? When you have read and fully understood what these scholars and linguists bring to the table, then you may come back and discuss further.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You know, @EclipseEventSigns my thoughts are that the Gospel letters probably were completed around somewhere in 60AD, perhaps. I don't know exactly what language they wrote in, but there is evidence of the old testament being written in hebrew, and jesus had a sign above his head, reading the King of the Jews.

John 19:20 Many of the Jews read this sign, because the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and it was written in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek.

Those are just my thoughts on it by what Johns recording teaches. These seem to be the common languages at the time, not to say that aramaic speaking people or any others did not exist.

All the best,
Matthew
Yes, there is much evidence the Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew (and some Aramaic as well). And there is much evidence that Hebrew was replaced with Aramaic in the era of the Jewish exile into Assyria and Babylon. When some of ALL the 12 tribes came back to their homeland, they brought with them a new language. Something that Ezra and Nehemiah had to deal with and what they wrote about. But it was a very similar language.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL. Have you read Michaelis, Neubauer, Murdoch, Etheridge, Norton, Torrey, Burney? When you have read and fully understood what these scholars and linguists bring to the table, then you may come back and discuss further.
Why, smarter than them is here. Anyone can look into and should look into everything I present and probably the best way is to try to prove me wrong.

You on the other hand are not worth my time.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why, smarter than them is here. Anyone can look into and should look into everything I present and probably the best way is to try to prove me wrong.

You on the other hand are not worth my time.....Most people can see you are an unknowledgeable troll.
I have proved you wrong. You just don't want to see it. And when people resort to ad hominems that is the sure sign they have been triggered by the truth.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is true that the 4 Gospels existed in Aramaic by at least 78 AD, what evidence is there for the rest of the New Testament?

Start with what Peter says. In II Peter, he references Paul's multiple letters having been available and read by those Peter is addressing.

[2Pe 3:15-16 LSB] 15 just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all [his] letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as [they do] also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Peter's audience had been able to read what Paul had written. So who was Peter's audience. We find out a few verses previous:
[2Pe 3:1 LSB] 1 This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you ...

Who was the first letter addressed to?
[1Pe 1:1 LSB] 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as exiles, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen

It was to the Christians of Jewish heritage who were living outside of the Jewish homeland. Where are those places? In modern day Turkey. So the writings of both Peter and Paul had made it through that entire area. They were able to read it in a language they understood. That language was Aramaic and not Greek. Aramaic was the lingua franca outside of the Roman Empire. It was the lingua franca of the Jewish people whether in their homeland or those living in exile. This is demonstrated in Acts 21:26-40. Paul is arrested after some visiting unbelieving Jews slander him and rile up the residents of Jerusalem. The Roman commander arrests him and is just about to put him in prison. Paul talks to the commander in a different language and he is shocked to hear Paul speaking Greek. This convinces the commander that Paul is being slandered and Paul is allowed to address his accusers - in their own language. He does not speak to them in Greek but in their own language - stated to be the language of the Hebrews.

So things are not as we have always been told. While Paul did know Greek, that does not mean the entire Jewish population knew or spoke Greek. And the content of the New Testament probably was not originally in Greek. But it was translated very soon after being written in Aramaic.

There are many Christians who don't understand that Paul's letters came before the gospels were written. They think that because in their Bibles, the gospels come first-- that must mean they came first. And they never give the idea a second thought.

Reactions: Grailhunter

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are many Christians who don't understand that Paul's letters came before the gospels were written. They think that because in their Bibles, the gospels come first-- that must mean they came first. And they never give the idea a second thought.
Maybe some of Paul's letters, but not all of. Paul quotes some source for his discussion of the Last Supper.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe some of Paul's letters, but not all of. Paul quotes some source for his discussion of the Last Supper.

Which ones do you think came after the gospel accounts?

Paul’s letters were written sometime between AD 48 to AD 64. They almost certainly predate the Gospels and Acts and so are the earliest existing writings that we have concerning Jesus’ teachings and the doctrinal and organizational development of the early Church.

The majority of scholars hold to a late-dating of the Gospels, placing them in the range of AD 70-100. Since Paul died by AD 67 under the reign of Emperor Nero, we can date his letters from AD 48-67. Therefore, Paul’s writings existed decades before the Gospels existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.