Was the New Testament Originally Written in Greek?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps you are correct Learner. It's gone sideways for awhile now. Edifies nobody.
It's the people on this thread who do not know how to have a proper discussion. They do not follow the rules. Don't close the thread. Ban the rotten apples who resort to name calling, abusive language, harassing language and emojis. It is their goal to cause such chaos to cause censorship and close down topics they don't like.

@The Learner and @Grailhunter are the ones who have derailed this the most.

• Love
Reactions: gpresdo

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Page 8 has one, ONLY one post pertaining to the OP, and it was posted BY the op. All other posts on pg. 8, are off topic. And this seems, as I browse the other pages (no, I haven't read all the posts) most of those posts are much of the same. :backtop:

Also:
"Community-Wide Rules
No Flaming, Goading or Harassment. All members should be treated with the utmost respect and courtesy at all times following the rules of civil discourse.
No insults are allowed. Included in this are all forms of flaming, harassment, and trolling/goading as determined at the discretion of the Christianity Board Team. Trolling/Goading is defined as repeated attempts through the use of images, cartoons, smileys or text that is designed to be explicitly demeaning, patronizing, embarrassing, or otherwise upsetting to a member or group of members in the community.

This further includes making false statements or accusations about a member.
Sarcasm is not included under this rule.
[*]Do not attack another member's character in any way. Address the post content, not the member's character, family, denominational affiliation or any other subject that may be perceived as a personal attack by the Christianity Board team and is not germane to the topic or post at hand.
[*]Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christians. If there is an issue where a member seems to have circumvented the basic tenants of the faith in order to join the community, please privately contact the Christianity Board Team to voice your concern.
[*]If a member requests the cessation of all personal contact, then please respect that member's wish."

Just thought I would c/p the whole first section, it's all available to members so check it out once in awhile, we all should as it will let us see how we too, have broken these simple rules before...
just a reminder to check ourselves and be honest before God and men. "Be ye kind one to another..." (para.p)
Much love, in Him

Reactions: The Learner

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Page 8 has one, ONLY one post pertaining to the OP, and it was posted BY the op. All other posts on pg. 8, are off topic. And this seems, as I browse the other pages (no, I haven't read all the posts) most of those posts are much of the same. :backtop:

Also:
"Community-Wide Rules
No Flaming, Goading or Harassment. All members should be treated with the utmost respect and courtesy at all times following the rules of civil discourse.
No insults are allowed. Included in this are all forms of flaming, harassment, and trolling/goading as determined at the discretion of the Christianity Board Team. Trolling/Goading is defined as repeated attempts through the use of images, cartoons, smileys or text that is designed to be explicitly demeaning, patronizing, embarrassing, or otherwise upsetting to a member or group of members in the community.

This further includes making false statements or accusations about a member.
Sarcasm is not included under this rule.
[*]Do not attack another member's character in any way. Address the post content, not the member's character, family, denominational affiliation or any other subject that may be perceived as a personal attack by the Christianity Board team and is not germane to the topic or post at hand.
[*]Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christians. If there is an issue where a member seems to have circumvented the basic tenants of the faith in order to join the community, please privately contact the Christianity Board Team to voice your concern.
[*]If a member requests the cessation of all personal contact, then please respect that member's wish."

Just thought I would c/p the whole first section, it's all available to members so check it out once in awhile, we all should as it will let us see how we too, have broken these simple rules before...
just a reminder to check ourselves and be honest before God and men. "Be ye kind one to another..." (para.p)
Much love, in Him

It’s like honey, these rules- and trying to honor them….

Sweet, even if a little messy at times. You know how honey flows right out of the little Sue Bee bottle? It leaves a little stickiness on the top, but otherwise it flows on out.

Once out of the bottle however— that honey is going to stick to everything. Whatever it comes into contact with and anyone who comes into contact with it.

Here’s the trouble…. A poster posts some nonsense (there are numerous examples of this, with this thread being one, but you could look at almost any @Episkopos thread to see the same principle in action) and the moment someone steps up to say that they don’t agree with whatever the nonsense might be— the OP cries out, or lashes out and won’t tolerate any challenge to their perspective.

They won’t entertain a dialogue, they simply disagree with anyone who might disagree. And in this way— often with Moderator support, they attempt to shout down or otherwise silence any conversation, points or counterpoints. They seek a platform, a podium and a microphone, not a dialogue.

To speak up and speak out against whatever they are saying is considered (by some) to be goading. But is it? Are you wanting to create “safe spaces” where the nonsense goes unchallenged?

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Sweet, even if a little messy at times. You know how honey flows right out of the little Sue Bee bottle? It leaves a little stickiness on the top, but otherwise it flows on out.

Once out of the bottle however— that honey is going to stick to everything. Whatever it comes into contact with and anyone who comes into contact with it.

Here’s the trouble…. A poster posts some nonsense (there are numerous examples of this, with this thread being one, but you could look at almost any @Episkopos thread to see the same principle in action) and the moment someone steps up to say that they don’t agree with whatever the nonsense might be— the OP cries out, or lashes out and won’t tolerate any challenge to their perspective.

They won’t entertain a dialogue, they simply disagree with anyone who might disagree. And in this way— often with Moderator support, they attempt to shout down or otherwise silence any conversation, points or counterpoints. They seek a platform, a podium and a microphone, not a dialogue.

To speak up and speak out against whatever they are saying is considered (by some) to be goading. But is it? Are you wanting to create “safe spaces” where the nonsense goes unchallenged?
It's people like you that seek to shut down and censor and stuff up what you consider "nonsense". If you have proof and evidence against the "nonsense", then post it. How about ACTUALLY RESEARCHING first before spouting your view that it is "nonsense". Just ridiculing and mocking and using increasingly abusive language is the problem with you and many who are being triggered by the "nonsense". If you can't discuss things in a civil and Christian way, just stop posting. You are the problem here. Not the topics.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, I wouldn't have picked "honey" as an adjective, lol...more like gall! You've no idea how tough it is, especially if we agree on the post that was reported. It's getting even harder as time goes on! The back and forth, repeating the same violations gets very old and takes away any joy this site once furnished!
Why can't people just do as Jesus asked? Shake the dust off and turn away? Is the temptation to retaliate so strong it overpowers the Holy Spirit in you?

CyB is one of the more relaxed Christian sites out there and, right now there are only me and Rita to sort through all the reports. Heart2Soul had to take a bit of a sabbatical so, it's just us two. We have admins too but, it is usually up to the mod and if the mod is unsure how to handle something, we send it to them.
Sigh.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I wouldn't have picked "honey" as an adjective, lol...more like gall! You've no idea how tough it is, especially if we agree on the post that was reported. It's getting even harder as time goes on! The back and forth, repeating the same violations gets very old and takes away any joy this site once furnished!
Why can't people just do as Jesus asked? Shake the dust off and turn away? Is the temptation to retaliate so strong it overpowers the Holy Spirit in you?

CyB is one of the more relaxed Christian sites out there and, right now there are only me and Rita to sort through all the reports. Heart2Soul had to take a bit of a sabbatical so, it's just us two. We have admins too but, it is usually up to the mod and if the mod is unsure how to handle something, we send it to them.
Sigh.

I truly do understand (and appreciate) the difficulty of the role. I’ve been both Moderator and Admin at similar sites. It gets sticky quickly.

Some people are better left to themselves, which is what I’ve chose to do with @EclipseEventSigns Those who can’t be reasoned with have given reason enough to be ignored.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I truly do understand (and appreciate) the difficulty of the role. I’ve been both Moderator and Admin at similar sites. It gets sticky quickly.

Some people are better left to themselves, which is what I’ve chose to do with @EclipseEventSigns Those who can’t be reasoned with have given reason enough to be ignored.
Yes, it truly does get sticky fast :( Even seem to lose friends you once had on here.
No reason, no talk...lol. Good way to handle it!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it truly does get sticky fast :( Even seem to lose friends you once had on here.
No reason, no talk...lol. Good way to handle it!

Remember this guy? I haven’t seen him around lately, but he was another one who had a similarly aggrandized opinion of ‘his opinions.’

But wait! Like him, this pair bought themselves some sackcloth and traveled from South America to Israel…. Does convincing oneself make a person convincing? I’m afraid not. It’s self-deception. Delusion.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point in asking, or my point in pointing to these examples is simple. We need to exercise some discernment in dealing with folks on this site. It shouldn’t be considered goading to call a grifter a scam artist, or a false prophet exactly that. Neither is it goading to point out someone’s premise is fatally flawed as I did in this thread. The OP won’t consider the evidence presented, instead he pushes on with his agenda, false pretenses and error. So shall it be…. But we don’t have to pretend along with these people. We can call out error, we can disagree and we can contend for the truth, which is what the Christ instructs us to do.

The problem is— some folks consider their opinions to be more than just that. They arrogantly inflate the importance of their opinions and denigrate anyone who won’t play along. It’s pure hubris.

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My point in asking, or my point in pointing to these examples is simple. We need to exercise some discernment in dealing with folks on this site. It shouldn’t be considered goading to call a grifter a scam artist, or a false prophet exactly that. Neither is it goading to point out someone’s premise is fatally flawed as I did in this thread. The OP won’t consider the evidence presented, instead he pushes on with his agenda, false pretenses and error. So shall it be…. But we don’t have to pretend along with these people. We can call out error, we can disagree and we can contend for the truth, which is what the Christ instructs us to do.

The problem is— some folks consider their opinions to be more than just that. They arrogantly inflate the importance of their opinions and denigrate anyone who won’t play along. It’s pure hubris.
You NEED to stop now. YOU are the problem here. Move on. You have been constantly reported and I don't know why you haven't been banned for all the abusive and mocking and ridiculing you are doing.

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Back to the topic. No one wants to discuss the TOPIC. So much abusive language full of mocking and ridicule. This is such a triggering topic and it will be to those whose egos are tied up in trying to be RIGHT. This is about TRUTH. Where ever that leads. So many are such immature children who try to censor topics that they don't like. And they attack people and try to get the moderators on their side. Just keep reporting these type of people.

The lingua franca of the New Testament era had been discussed quite a bit by scholars during the 19th century. Scholars who had much more appreciation of where the truth lay than modern scholars who are tied to their positions at institutions.

Here's something from William Norton (1895) who talks about a linguist:
"G. Amira, a Syrian of note, and the author of a Syriac Grammar,
made a statement which tends to show how very widely the
Syriac language was used
. He said that "he was able to define ,
the Syriac or Chaldaic tongue to be that which was born, and had
chief rule in the East ; which could alike be called Assyrian,
Babylonian, Aramsean, Hebrew, or Christian ; since it was known
by nations of those names, and used by them." (Wichelhaus on
N. C. Peshito, p. 21.) Walton also, in his Polyglot, (Prol. xiii. 2)
says that the language in which the books of the Old and New
Covenants exist in the east, and which to-day is called Syriac,
" has been called Chaldaic, Babylonian, Aramsean, Syriac, Assyriac,
and even Hebrew." The dialect in which the Chaldeans spoke to
the king of Babylon, Dan. ii. 4 ; and that in which Eabshakeh,
the Assyrian, was asked by the elders of Israel to speak to them,
Isa. xxxvi. 11, are both called in those passages, Aramaean, a
name which includes different Syriac dialects."

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You NEED to stop now. YOU are the problem here. Move on. You have been constantly reported and I don't know why you haven't been banned for all the abusive and mocking and ridiculing you are doing.
I don't see what's abusive about Mr. Es posts, but you do need to settle down a bit, you can't just call someone "the problem" because you want them banned, and it's not a good way to respond to others here.

Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Nancy

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see what's abusive about Mr. Es posts, but you do need to settle down a bit, you can't just call someone "the problem" because you want them banned, and it's not a good way to respond to others here.

Thanks Josho. I’m only the third or fourth person he has singled out as the problem. His feelings got hurt when I provided links to the document he says is hidden in the Vatican Library and because it crushes his whole premise. Someone famously quipped -‘Facts don’t care about your feelings.’

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Everyone can see his abusive language. He's plainly being harassing. Others are also be bad actors and trying to get this censored because they are triggered.

Their actions are against the rules of this forum. Does anyone even care to follow the rules anymore?

EclipseEventSigns

Jul 19, 2023
north america
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thanks Josho. I’m only the third or fourth person he has singled out as the problem. His feelings got hurt when I provided links to the document he says is hidden in the Vatican Library and because it crushes his whole premise. Someone famously quipped -‘Facts don’t care about your feelings.’
Absolutely false. This is an utter lie and slander. Yes, he had gone so far as to slander me and harass me elsewhere.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone can see his abusive language. He's plainly being harassing. Others are also be bad actors and trying to get this censored because they are triggered.

Their actions are against the rules of this forum. Does anyone even care to follow the rules anymore?
If he had broken any rules it would have been dealt with and also You equally respond back with comments. To presume that you are completely right about a subject and then accuse others Of trying to get this censored is an assumption that is wrong, you are the only one that keeps reporting things.
You cannot post a thread in the Bible study section and just expect everyone to agree with what you are saying. I read back to the beginning and MR E was defending you, then because he had different views you chose to belittle him with your comments. You wanted him to take your post as ‘ gospel ‘ but you chose to not take his post seriously because it disagreed with your conclusion.
Then it became a back and fourth off topic conversation. You contributed to that as well, and kept it going.
If the thread Continues in this manner it will be locked , not to get the subject closed down but because of the continuous accusations against others and the continuous reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.