Water Baptism:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jon Mathews

May 7, 2019
indianapolis, in
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Pe 3:20, Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1Pe 3:21, The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Ah yes, but notice how Noah was saved from the waters of the flood and Moses was saved from the Egyptians by passing THRU the water of the red sea. Salvation did come from the water. Salvation brought them THRU the water. It wasn't the water that was cleansing their soul. They never got wet. It was the Spirit who was leading them THRU the water as they obeyed God in Faith. In the same way, Jesus Baptizes us in His Spirit, and it's God who leads us thru the waters of water baptism, but it's not the waters that cleanse our soul, it's the Spirit.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only place that says you MUST repent and be water baptized is in Acts 2. The problem is when people want to say Peter is talking to the Gentiles too. But he wasn't. It is common sense to acknowledge that if Peter did not know, at that time, that the Gentile would be included why do people say he was talking to the Gentiles too?

Paul, the one that Jesus specifically sent to the Gentiles, never said repenting and water baptism has anything to do with salvation

Salvation is totally the work of God on the cross. To be obedient is to believe in it.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that is a rather bold statement and most likely very wrong..there is no other way to be saved other than by grace every thing Christ done for us on the the cross and resurrection along with accession==is Grace water baptism never saved any one no preacher has ever saved any one. when the spirit draws and the lost call out for mercy He gives them Grace

Well obviously I believe it or I would not have said it. When will you acknowledge that Jesus said very few would find it.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah yes, but notice how Noah was saved from the waters of the flood and Moses was saved from the Egyptians by passing THRU the water of the red sea. Salvation did come from the water. Salvation brought them THRU the water. It wasn't the water that was cleansing their soul. They never got wet. It was the Spirit who was leading them THRU the water as they obeyed God in Faith. In the same way, Jesus Baptizes us in His Spirit, and it's God who leads us thru the waters of water baptism, but it's not the waters that cleanse our soul, it's the Spirit.

God saved them, not the water.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20

That sound to me like he meant water baptism.

Jon Mathews

May 7, 2019
indianapolis, in
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20

Yes. He also said to take the Lords Supper, but that doesnt mean eating bread and wine saves your soul.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. He also said to take the Lords Supper, but that doesnt mean eating bread and wine saves your soul.
I never said it did, and neither did I say Baptism saves your soul. It doesn't.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So what are you going to do with Acts 1:5? Decide he was just kidding in Matthew? Or he didn't know what he was talking about? Oh, wait! Jesus is God! That means He told a lie!

Eventually you have to admit that water baptism is not logical nor scriptural for Christians.

illini1959

May 21, 2019
Central IL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well yes, of course, but as is obvious by this 'discussion' not everyone hears or admits to hearing that command.

Oh I agree. I meant as far as a believer is concerned we know from His word we should be baptized, so the only ones who wouldn't be 'hearing Him' are non-believers. But yes, believers can definitely be disobedient.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, if so, sorry about that.

illini1959

May 21, 2019
Central IL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what are you going to do with Acts 1:5? Decide he was just kidding in Matthew? Or he didn't know what he was talking about? Oh, wait! Jesus is God! That means He told a lie!

Eventually you have to admit that water baptism is not logical nor scriptural for Christians.

Is that how you evaluate the context of scripture?

I see by some of the posts above you follow mormonism, so I know your view of God's word is skewed.

There's a difference between the baptism in Acts 1 and Matthew. Do you know what that is?

I'd find out before calling Jesus a liar.

And water baptism IS scriptural for Christians - Christians being followers of Christ as He is presented biblically.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point is that water baptism can be a point of contact for faith. The Holy Ghost is absolutely promised to those who receive baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, in Acts 2:28-39.

Consider the following:

Col 2:12, Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Rom 6:3, Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4, Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Notice that we are risen with Him through faith in the operation of God, the operation of God being the act of being buried with Him in baptism.

And secondly, we walk in newness of life (obedience that comes from a born again heart) because of having been buried with Him by baptism into death.

This appears to be speaking of a regeneration that comes to a person as a result of being plunged beneath that flood.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it sure ain't in water baptism
Water Baptism (in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins) is a sure way to confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.

To not confess Him is to deny Him.

Jesus said,

Mat 10:32, Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 10:33, But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Anybody can say that they are a Christian.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water Baptism (in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins) is a sure way to confess Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.

To not confess Him is to deny Him.

Jesus said,

Mat 10:32, Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 10:33, But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
confess yes and should be followed up after being saved.. water baptism does not save

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
confess yes and should be followed up after being saved.. water baptism does not save
It has the power to save (Acts 2:38-39, 1 Peter 3:20-21 (kjv), Romans 6:4, etc.).

One can likely be saved apart from water baptism; but as a confession of the Lord Jesus Christ, it will verily result in Him confessing you before the angels of God.