Water Baptism:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two places in the Bible that I do not feel support baptismal regeneration (water baptism necessary for salvation) are as follows.

1 Pet 3:18-22 (NIV)

18 For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit,
19 through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison
20 who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,
21 and this water """symbolizes""" baptism that now saves you also-- not the removal of dirt from the body [by water] but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. “””It saves you by the resurrection””” of Jesus Christ,
22 who has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand-- with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

In verse 20 note the word is THROUGH water. Not a drop of water was put on Noah and his family because they were in the Ark..

Verse 21 in the NKJV reads:

21 There is also an “””antitype””” which now saves us-- baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

At the end of verse 20, we read that, eight souls, were saved ""through" water. It is not that they were saved "by" water; they were saved "through" the water. Water was not the savior, but the judgment through which God brought them. If the people in the Ark, left the Ark, they would have drowned in the water. Therefore it is obvious that the water was not salvation.

To properly understand this statement in verse 20 and the verse that follows, we must see the typical meaning of the Ark and the flood. The Ark is a picture of the Lord Jesus Christ. The flood of water depicts the judgment of God. The Ark was the only way of salvation. When the flood came, only those who were inside were saved; all those on the outside perished. So Christ is the only way of salvation; those who are "in Christ" (Romans 8:1-2, 2 Cor. 1:21-22, 2 Cor. 5:17) are as saved as God Himself can make them. Those on the outside could not be more lost.

The water was not the means of salvation, for all who were in the water drowned. The Ark was the place of refuge and the only means of salvation. The Ark went ""through"" the water of judgment; it took the full brunt of the storm. Not a drop of water reached those inside the Ark. So Christ bore the fury of God's judgment against our sins. For those who are "in Him" there is no judgment (John 5:24).

Actually, there is a baptism which saves us --- not our baptism in water, but a baptism which took place at Calvary almost 2000 years ago; Christ's death was a baptism (see Mark 10:38). He was baptized in the waters of judgment. This is what He meant when He said, "I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished" (Luke 12:50). The psalmist described this baptism in the words, "Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; all Your waves and billows have gone over me" (Psalms 42:7). In His death, Christ was baptized in the waves and billows of God's wrath, and it is this baptism that is the basis for our salvation; Christ's baptism unto death on the cross. Today the Holy Spirit baptizes us into His baptism on the cross. It is the Holy Spirit that does this, not man. That is what it means to be buried with Him. Our water baptism "represents" our identification with Him only. It does not save us.

Many people use John 3:1-6 to support water baptism. -- But what do these scriptures really say?

**** Scripture
John 3:1-6 .. (NIV)
1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council.
2 He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."
3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."
4 "How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"
5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.
6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.
**** end scripture

It seems to me that in verses 3 and 4 there are only two births being discussed, a man's first birth in the flesh and a necessary second birth of the Spirit. -- Notice that in verse 5 he used the words "born of water" and then "the spirit" and in verse 6, "WHICH AMPLIFIES VERSE 5," He uses the words "birth to flesh" and then "birth to spirit." Nicodemus has brought up the subject of being born in the flesh for a second time. What has been said is that physical birth is not enough. Some will disagree but I believe he is talking about our physical birth "birth to flesh" in verse 5 and that there is another birth, "birth to spirit" which is accomplished by the Holy Spirit (NOT MAN)

Since the word baptism was not included in the text, to add it is to change the meaning of the word of God to fit into the theologies of men.

It has been said by another: I think it would be trivial to tell Nicodemus that he had to be born of the water if this meant physical birth. After all, he had already gone through this birth. Why bother to tell him then? -- Why, because it was Nicodemus that brought up the idea of going back into the womb and being born again.

Context is everything. Nowhere in the conversation has water baptism been mentioned. In John 3, verse 6 we see the words "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. " There is absolutely no mention of water baptism. Only two things are under discussion, being born of the flesh and being born of the Spirit.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So what about the instruction Ananias gave to Paul:

And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’ Acts 22:16-17

Reactions: 101G

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism is about obedience. it's not about the person who baptize you, nor the water, but your obedience to the FAITH of Jesus the Christ.
Matthew 21:23 "And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?
Matthew 21:24 "And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things.
Matthew 21:25 "The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say unto us, Why did ye not then believe him?
Matthew 21:26 "But if we shall say, Of men; we fear the people; for all hold John as a prophet.
Matthew 21:27 "And they answered Jesus, and said, We cannot tell. And he said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things".

John 5:44 "How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that [cometh] from God only?

Mark 16:15 "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mark 16:16 "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

many are still arguing over if one need to be re-baptized, if you was commaded to be baptized, then your salvation rest not on other men, but your obedience to God. for every man have to give an account unto God for what they did or did not do while in the body.

PICJAG.

Reactions: 07-07-07

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism is about obedience. it's not about the person who baptize you, nor the water, but your obedience to the FAITH of Jesus the Christ.
Matthew 21:23 "And when he was come into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came unto him as he was teaching, and said, By what authority doest thou these things? and who gave thee this authority?
Matthew 21:24 "And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things.
Matthew 21:25 "The baptism of John, whence was it? from heaven, or of men? And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say unto us, Why did ye not then believe him?
Matthew 21:26 "But if we shall say, Of men; we fear the people; for all hold John as a prophet.
Matthew 21:27 "And they answered Jesus, and said, We cannot tell. And he said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things".

John 5:44 "How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that [cometh] from God only?

Mark 16:15 "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mark 16:16 "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

many are still arguing over if one need to be re-baptized, if you was commaded to be baptized, then your salvation rest not on other men, but your obedience to God. for every man have to give an account unto God for what they did or did not do while in the body.

PICJAG.

What is noticed is that not one of the scriptures you have used were written by Paul. Also you have said that mankind will be condemned by their not being water baptism even if they believe in Jesus' shed blood that paid for the sins of the whole world. All you are doing is telling people that it is what they do that really saves them. To you a person is saved by what they do or do not do and that is not the gospel of grace that Jesus gave to Paul.

Reactions: Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly, and that is why I was baptised. It was an act of obedience.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

PICJAG.
And @Pearl

..and what about those who never feel or hear the 'command' to be baptised?

What about the hundreds who bamboo curtain?

I never have seen it as a prerequisite for salvation.
I tend to "kick against " those who tell new Christians that the must be water baptised or they are in rebellion , which is what is really being said...= disobedience is rebellion against God. :(

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I never have seen it as a prerequisite for salvation
Me neither Helen.

I tend to "kick against " those who tell new Christians that the must be water baptised or they are in rebellion , which is what is really being said...= disobedience is rebellion against God.
I think if God is telling you to be baptised then you should be or it would be disobedience. If you don't hear him telling you then it isn't disobedience. He told me, so I obeyed but not everybody will have that experience.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is noticed is that not one of the scriptures you have used were written by Paul. Also you have said that mankind will be condemned by their not being water baptism even if they believe in Jesus' shed blood that paid for the sins of the whole world. All you are doing is telling people that it is what they do that really saves them. To you a person is saved by what they do or do not do and that is not the gospel of grace that Jesus gave to Paul.
first thanks for the reply. second, you read the bible and see what it say, and two don't put words in my mouth. read what the bible for yourself and see what is says. and we suggest you read all of the scripture. just like in asking, yes ask, but there is a way to ask. so we suggest you read all the scriptures.

and three if you don't want to be water baptize, that's you.. :D

PICJAG

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And @Pearl

..and what about those who never feel or hear the 'command' to be baptised?

What about the hundreds who bamboo curtain?

I never have seen it as a prerequisite for salvation.
I tend to "kick against " those who tell new Christians that the must be water baptised or they are in rebellion , which is what is really being said...= disobedience is rebellion against God. :(
first thanks for the reply, second, hence the reason why the gospel is to be preached in all the world. for there is no excuse. here's why. either a mother, maybe not your own, but a mother or a gramdmother, uncle or cousin, someone a friend, or a co-worker wiil speak of the Lord to you, either in words and deeds. even if by TV the word of God will get you.

now if by some hook or crook, one don't hear of God then this, Romans 2:9 "Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
Romans 2:10 "But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
Romans 2:11 "For there is no respect of persons with God.
Romans 2:12 "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
Romans 2:13 "(For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
(THESE THREE VERSES NEED TO BE READ AGAIN).

Romans 2:14 "For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Romans 2:15 "Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

see, we who accepts Christ, who is our rightiousness of the Law in him, are saved from the Law. for Christ was the "doer" of the law for us.

now, as you said what if one did not hear the gospel. then romans 2:14 & 15. but there is still no excuse, and here's why. as said someone have exposed you to the word of God. example, if you was moving a sofa or chair in your house or some one was hammering a nail and missed, or one hit their foot while moving the sofa or chair. the first hing out of their mouth is "Lord have mercy, or another word "God .... with the beaver ... "dam". see, even the worest criminal knows or know of God. even if they are not doing right, they know because many are not reading their bible but reading christian as to the way they act.

now one might say, well if I just do good, having a law unto myself. well that want work, you still have your sins to be taken care of. redemption is only in Christ jesus, for all have sin and fallen short. so if one go that route, it will be some good folk destroyed.

so bottom line, the word of God or God himself has been exposed to all, in some way and fashion. so again no excuse. as with baptism, it's our obediance, and the sinner williness to subit oneself to the call of God. that's one of the things that the gospel is, a call of God to their acknowledgement of God.

Hope this helped.

PICJAG.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are very few in the world and on this forum that truly teach the gospel of grace.

The gospel of grace is all about what God has done for mankind, not what man does for God.

The religious make it to be one of obedience to rules and regulations but that IS NOT the gospel of grace.

Paul put in in very simple words that say what the gospel is but religious man will not see it because they don't want too.

1 Cor 15:1-4
15 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand,
2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you — unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

NKJV

THE GOSPEL
Jesus died for our sins
Jesus was buried
Jesus rose again the third day

All those that believe He died for their sins are saved because they believe what God has done for them.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
first thanks for the reply. second, you read the bible and see what it say, and two don't put words in my mouth. read what the bible for yourself and see what is says. and we suggest you read all of the scripture. just like in asking, yes ask, but there is a way to ask. so we suggest you read all the scriptures.

Who are the WE? I suggest that you really read what Paul wrote. After all Jesus sent him to the world with a gospel of God's grace, a free gift that some seem to think they have to do things to get. That mean they think they have to earn it by what they do.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A majority of the people at Corinth were baptized:

Act 18:8, And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

And this ought to have an effect on our interpretation of the following:

1Co 1:13, Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
1Co 1:14, I thank God that I baptized none of you (Corinthians), but Crispus and Gaius;
1Co 1:15, Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
1Co 1:16, And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
1Co 1:17, For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

It should be clear that these scriptures are not diminishing the need for water baptism in converts, but showing that certain ministers are called to specific duties. Paul's duty was to preach the gospel, not to baptize; but it should be clear that concerning baptism he took the same action as did our Lord concerning baptism:

Jhn 4:1, When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
Jhn 4:2, (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

Paul did the preaching; and his disciples did the baptizing; but Acts 18:8 should make it clear that Paul did not neglect his responsibility to make sure that the disciples in Corinth were baptized.

That being said, I believe that 1 Peter 3:20-21 is clear:

1Pe 3:20, Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1Pe 3:21, The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

It should be clear from this scripture that while baptism doesn't put away the filth of the flesh, it does wash away sins; for it is written:

Act 22:16, And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

And now, why tarriest thou?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do it Acts 2:38 style to be safe; and to ensure that you receive the promise mentioned there.

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 1:5 King James Version (KJV)
5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Baptizers often are unable to read that verse as it is written. They omit the 'but' because their denomination teaches that the two baptisms are "co-equal and co-necessary".

Acts 10:46-48 King James Version (KJV)
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

So he baptized them in water, right? No he didn't. He says so in the next chapter.

Acts 11:15-17 King James Version (KJV)
15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

Many people assume that "baptize" means "dip in water". It does not. It means "to dip". The dipping can be in anything. Refer to Acts 1:5.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And now what are waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’ Acts 22:16

So then, what did Ananias mean in this sentence when he told Paul to "be baptised and wash you sins away calling on his name."?

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And now what are waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’ Acts 22:16

So then, what did Ananias mean in this sentence when he told Paul to "be baptised and wash you sins away calling on his name."?

I presume he meant baptism in water. It took a while for the word to get around. Acts 18 has a story about that.

Acts 18:24-26 King James Version (KJV)
24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.
25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.
26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

The story continues into chapter 19.

Acts 19:1-7 King James Version (KJV)
19 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.
7 And all the men were about twelve.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So what about the instruction Ananias gave to Paul:

And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’ Acts 22:16-17
This is just like Acts 2:38. Calling on His name washes away sins, and then water baptism follows. Repentance is for the remission of sins, and then the gift of the Holy Spirit is given. Followed by water baptism. H2O can never wash away sins, only grime and external contamination.