We can only hate things and concepts.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
We can hate war.
We can hate liver.
We can hate shoveling snow.
We can hate hurricanes.
We can hate rudeness.

But we cannot hate people.

That breaks the second great command.

God follows his own rules, should not we also?

Reactions: KingJ

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People don't like to admit it, but God didn't love nor does he love everyone. He hated Esau, he hates those who sew discord amongst the brethren and he hates liars.

He told us to love our neighbor (which he defined as he who shows mercy); to live peacefully with all men as much as possible, but to turn away from some people.

Reactions: Dan57

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
You're not using that in context.

God never hated the man Esau. There would be no profit in hating any man.

In Malachi God is stating that he loved and chose the nation that came from Jacob. And that he hated the nation that came from Esau, aka edom.

He hated the nation of the edomites. They were not of God.

Paul uses this to exemplify how God loves the church and hates that which is against the church.

So he's not hating people but principalities of wickedness.

Reactions: KingJ

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have it your way.... he didn't hate on man, he hated a whole nation of men, women and children. I can live with that IF thats the way you want to go.

Romans 9 says God made that decision before they were even born. Not Edom the nation, but Esau the man.

Fact is I didn't take it out of context. He said he loved "jacob", not Israel. Edomites are gentiles and are accepted through grace. Hebrews 12 says Esau found no place for repentance though he sought it carefully with tears.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The connotation for hate as used in some translations that attribute that emotion to God is not the same as man because God is not a human being.
I OTOH, have no problem hating some people. By God's grace they are minimal and not ongoing.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't always like what people do but I also understand Satan has a tight hold on a lot of people. I have compassion for mankind in general. But I do not wish to hate anyone. I'm more disappointed in people than anything. The world saddens me. If I hate, then how can I forgive?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, but if we are to be examples of Christ on Earth, then we are to love, not hate. That's Christ's message. We cant pick and choose. We are to be humble servants of Christ. I honestly don't see where there is a debate here????

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
LOL.... well you are debating so I'm not sure why you don't see it. What we should be and what we ARE, do not always reconcile. I fully admit I am able to hate or at least really dislike. I also know Jesus is always working in me to do better.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can roll with that. I just wanted to make sure it was understood where I was coming from. :) Its all good, Stanj

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
I can roll with that. I just wanted to make sure it was understood where I was coming from. :) Its all good, Stanj
No problem BA, you have demonstrated a good understanding of scripture since you came on board. Glad to have your input always.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hate in your heart for another person fosters vile thoughts, words, and deeds. God does not hate people. In the case of Esau, the better translation would be "loved less".

Your neighbor is the person, city, or nation next to you no matter their creed, religion, race, or relation. This is the way neighbor is to be understood when reading Scripture. There is no hidden meaning behind the word; God did not redefine our common understanding of the word.

the stranger

Mar 12, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
In EZ 18 God says 'Why will you die' to Israel but directed to all mankind. He statesHe has no pleasure in the death of the wicked but would rather that they change their hearts to Him. God is a God of love. If we could of seen where Satan came from we could understand why there was no possibility of him returning to his first estate. As humans we understand so little. If any man comes to Christ with a humble heart he will be forgiven. That is true love. Only by the Spirits power can humans love like this.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
justaname said:
Hate in your heart for another person fosters vile thoughts, words, and deeds. God does not hate people. In the case of Esau, the better translation would be "loved less".

Your neighbor is the person, city, or nation next to you no matter their creed, religion, race, or relation. This is the way neighbor is to be understood when reading Scripture. There is no hidden meaning behind the word; God did not redefine our common understanding of the word.
You know, its pretty funny that in your first paragraph you state that "hate" should be translated as "loved less", and in your second paragraph you state that God doesn't redefine our common words. Well, he doesn't need to... he's got you to do that for him!

Hate means hate. Bottom line! As for neighbor, Jesus took the time to tell us what it means to be a neighbor in Luke 10:36 & 37. Your definition isn't it.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
You know, its pretty funny that in your first paragraph you state that "hate" should be translated as "loved less", and in your second paragraph you state that God doesn't redefine our common words. Well, he doesn't need to... he's got you to do that for him!

Hate means hate. Bottom line! As for neighbor, Jesus took the time to tell us what it means to be a neighbor in Luke 10:36 & 37. Your definition isn't it.
The translation issue for the word "hate" in the Greek...if you care to investigate the original Greek and look to what the scholars say then you would understand what I convey.

Jesus did not redefine neighbor, that is your misinterpretation and eisegesis of the text....given the context of that passage and the Jewish culture of the day Jesus' parable supports my position and discredits yours...

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
justaname said:
The translation issue for the word "hate" in the Greek...if you care to investigate the original Greek and look to what the scholars say then you would understand what I convey.

Jesus did not redefine neighbor, that is your misinterpretation and eisegesis of the text....given the context of that passage and the Jewish culture of the day Jesus' parable supports my position and discredits yours...
You are wrong on both points. I'll start with the latter point. Someone asked Jesus who his neighbor is and jesus told him. End of story and you can't simply dismiss what jesus said as my misinterpretation. Citing the jewish culture as a reason jesus didn't mean what he said is hogwash and an excuse to try to line the bible up with modern popular tradition and modern doctrine. Not good!

Hate still means hate. Paul was quoting Malachi, so if you really want insight on god hating esau, look at the hebrew word. Guess what? It means to hate! Second, the primary meaning of the greek word is to detest. By extebnsion it can mean to love less. No where in the NT is it used that way.

So, it appears what you have done is simply grabbed concordance and found an obscure definition to again, fit modern dictrine (that being God loves everybody and is incapable of hate).

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
You are wrong on both points. I'll start with the latter point. Someone asked Jesus who his neighbor is and jesus told him. End of story and you can't simply dismiss what jesus said as my misinterpretation. Citing the jewish culture as a reason jesus didn't mean what he said is hogwash and an excuse to try to line the bible up with modern popular tradition and modern doctrine. Not good!

Hate still means hate. Paul was quoting Malachi, so if you really want insight on god hating esau, look at the hebrew word. Guess what? It means to hate! Second, the primary meaning of the greek word is to detest. By extebnsion it can mean to love less. No where in the NT is it used that way.

So, it appears what you have done is simply grabbed concordance and found an obscure definition to again, fit modern dictrine (that being God loves everybody and is incapable of hate).
For the parable...No scholar of the text would agree that Jesus was saying those who have mercy are the only people qualified to be your neighbor. That is a twisting of the parable. You are attempting to justify your position of hate.

שׂנא śnʾ to hate; to scorn, decrease in status; (pt.) enemy

A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament hate; be unable; unwilling; to put up with, slight; enemy; be hated

There is the Hebrew...again my case is supported...if you want to look through the hate glasses, go right ahead. From my perspective and within the context of the verse in Malachi the discussion was on Esau being the first born. Thereby it was his birthright and blessing to receive, yet God decreased his status...

Here is another verse for you to contemplate...

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Luke 6:35

The concept of the parable is the Samaritain was reflecting the character of God when the Levite and Priest did not...

God is kind to the ungrateful and evil, we are called to be the same. We are not called to be kind to those who are kind to us, even the sinners do that.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What is probably the biggest reason for getting hung up on words like this is because people think that any word always has the same connotation throughout scripture. This of course is wrong. Context always determines connotations. Also ascribing human emotions to God is just as wrong. God is NOT subject to human emotions in any sense. Our problem has always been trying to ascribe to God what we understand, which does not always work.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
What is probably the biggest reason for getting hung up on words like this is because people think that any word always has the same connotation throughout scripture. This of course is wrong. Context always determines connotations. Also ascribing human emotions to God is just as wrong. God is NOT subject to human emotions in any sense. Our problem has always been trying to ascribe to God what we understand, which does not always work.
I agree. Within the context it is important to discern what the text ment to the original audience and author. This is why culture and history is actually apportioned to the context. Words only take on meaning within their context. We understand what a word means to us now in our time, yet what did it mean to them in their time. And what did it mean to the author in the way he was using it.

That dog is sick (meaning the animal is ill)
That dog is sick (meaning that animal I like it a lot)
That dog is sick (meaning that animal is disgusting)
That dog is sick (meaning what I am looking at my friend I like a lot)
That dog is sick (meaning what I am looking at my friend is disgusting)
Who is the author, what is the context of the phrase, how is he using the phrase, who is he speaking to, what is their current situation, what is their history...this is all context.