We must be born again to be God's kingdom.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The Barrd said:
ATP, since you were good enough to come to this thread that Joyful made, and since the thread is about being born again, could you tell us what "born again" actually means?
Thanks.
Born again is accepting Jesus as your Savior by believing and declaring. Rom 10:9

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Joyful said:
Why are you try to derail the topic?

What is your objection to the OP?

what is your point regarding born again?
My point is that since you believe you can lose your salvation, then you do not know what eternal means. We are only born again and justified once.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
212c7cc84631c763551d409d46a6f107.jpg

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can we sin against the Holy Ghost and get no forgiveness ? I think most all knows this answer

They way I see it when we get born of the Holy Spirit, its within you which is how we receive everlasting life to began with.

So what happens now when a believer sin against the HG ?

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jude 1:7
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh,
are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Is the fire still burning over there ?

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Bible_Gazer said:
They way I see it when we get born of the Holy Spirit, its within you which is how we receive everlasting life to began with.
You receive eternal life by believing. What are we believing in?

John 3:14-15 NIV Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

John 3:16 NIV For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 5:24 NIV “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

John 6:40 NIV For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

John 6:47 NIV I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.

Acts 13:46-48 NIV Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: "We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles. 47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us: " 'I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.' " 48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

Eph 1:13-14 NIV And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Tit 3:7 NIV so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

1 John 5:13-14 NIV I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14This is the confidence we have in approaching God:

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Bible_Gazer said:
Jude 1:7
7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh,
are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Is the fire still burning over there ?
Are you seriously comparing eternal fire to eternal life??

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
A question for OSAS believers:

What do these verses mean?

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ATP said:
It's not a concept, rather it's the only way to get into heaven. Are you born again Joyful. Have you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior? Rom 10:9
The only way to the Father is through the Son.
There is no other way.
The Son would be He Who said "if you love Me, keep My commandments".
Are you keeping His commandments, ATP?

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
People who cling to the OSAS doctrine claim that all they have to do is believe in Jesus, and they will have eternal life, no matter what they might do from that moment on.
But how can you claim to believe in Jesus, when you don't believe the words that He said?

Joh 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The Barrd said:
It's the same word, isn't it?
Bible Gazer makes a very good point.
Not sure what point he was making, but He believes you can obtain eternal salvation by what you do. That is false.

Bible_Gazer said:
The Barrd said:
A question for OSAS believers:

What do these verses mean?

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
It's about apostates that walked with Jesus, no better than Judas for that matter. These passages have nothing to do with born again believers...

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible - http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-22.htm

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord,.... That is, in the last day, the day of judgment, the great and famous day, fixed by God, unknown to angels and men, which will be terrible to some, and joyful to others; the day in which the faithful ministers of the Gospel shall be owned by Christ, and received into the kingdom of heaven: "many", not of the common people only, but of the preachers of the word, who have filled up the highest station in the church below; not one, or two, or a few of them only, but many of them "will say to me"; to Christ, who will appear then as the judge of quick and dead, to which he is ordained by his Father,

Lord, Lord; not "my Lord, my Lord", as the Syriac version reads it; for they will not be able to claim any interest in him, though they will be obliged to own his dominion, power, and authority over them. The word is repeated to show their importunity, sense of danger, the confusion they will be in, the wretched disappointment they will have; and therefore speak as persons amazed and confounded, having expected they would have been the first persons that should be admitted into heaven. Their pleas follow;

have we not prophesied in thy name? This may be understood either of foretelling things to come; which gift wicked men may have, who have never had any experience of the grace of God, as Balaam, and Caiaphas, and others; or rather of preaching the word, which is sometimes called prophesying, Romans 12:6 and which may be done in the name of Christ, pretending mission and authority from him, and to be preachers of him, and yet be no better than "sounding brass", or "a tinkling cymbal"; yea, nothing at all as to true grace, or spiritual experience.

And in thy name have cast out devils? Diabolical possessions were very frequent in the times of Christ; no doubt but they were suffered, that Jesus might have an opportunity of showing his power over Satan, by dispossessing him from the bodies, as well as the souls of men; and of giving proof of his deity, divine sonship and Messiahship: and this power of casting out devils was given to others, not only to the twelve apostles, among whom Judas was, who had the same power with the rest, and to the seventy disciples; but even to some who did not follow him, and his disciples, Mark 9:38 and some did this in the name of Jesus, who do not appear to have any true faith in him, and knowledge of him; as the vagabond Jews, exorcists, and the seven sons of Sceva, Acts 19:13. An awful consideration it is, that men should be able to cast out devils, and at last be cast to the devil.

And in thy name done many wonderful works? that is, many miracles; not one, or a few only, but many; such as speaking with tongues, removing mountains, treading on serpents and scorpions, and drinking any deadly thing without hurt, and healing all manner of diseases and sicknesses. Judas, for one, was capable of pleading all these things; he had the gift of preaching, and a call from Christ to it, and yet a castaway; he had the power of casting out devils, and yet could not prevent the devil from entering into him; he could perform miracles, do wonders in Christ's name, and yet, at last, was the betrayer of him. These pleas and arguments will be of no use to him, nor of any avail to any at the great day. It may be observed, that these men lay the whole stress of their salvation upon what they have done in Christ's name; and not on Christ himself, in whom there is salvation, and in no other: they say not a syllable of what Christ has done and suffered, but only of what they have done. Indeed, the things they instance in, are the greatest done among men; the gifts they had were the most excellent, excepting the grace of God; the works they did were of an extraordinary nature; whence it follows, that there can be no salvation, nor is it to be expected from men's works: for if preaching the word, which is attended with so much study, care, and labour, will not be a prevailing argument to admit men into the kingdom of heaven; how can it be thought that ever reading, or hearing, or any other external performance of religion, should bring persons thither?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ATP said:
Not sure what point he was making, but He believes you can obtain eternal salvation by what you do. That is false.

It's about apostates that walked with Jesus, no better than Judas for that matter. These passages have nothing to do with born again believers...

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible - http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-22.htm

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord,.... That is, in the last day, the day of judgment, the great and famous day, fixed by God, unknown to angels and men, which will be terrible to some, and joyful to others; the day in which the faithful ministers of the Gospel shall be owned by Christ, and received into the kingdom of heaven: "many", not of the common people only, but of the preachers of the word, who have filled up the highest station in the church below; not one, or two, or a few of them only, but many of them "will say to me"; to Christ, who will appear then as the judge of quick and dead, to which he is ordained by his Father,

Lord, Lord; not "my Lord, my Lord", as the Syriac version reads it; for they will not be able to claim any interest in him, though they will be obliged to own his dominion, power, and authority over them. The word is repeated to show their importunity, sense of danger, the confusion they will be in, the wretched disappointment they will have; and therefore speak as persons amazed and confounded, having expected they would have been the first persons that should be admitted into heaven. Their pleas follow;

have we not prophesied in thy name? This may be understood either of foretelling things to come; which gift wicked men may have, who have never had any experience of the grace of God, as Balaam, and Caiaphas, and others; or rather of preaching the word, which is sometimes called prophesying, Romans 12:6 and which may be done in the name of Christ, pretending mission and authority from him, and to be preachers of him, and yet be no better than "sounding brass", or "a tinkling cymbal"; yea, nothing at all as to true grace, or spiritual experience.

And in thy name have cast out devils? Diabolical possessions were very frequent in the times of Christ; no doubt but they were suffered, that Jesus might have an opportunity of showing his power over Satan, by dispossessing him from the bodies, as well as the souls of men; and of giving proof of his deity, divine sonship and Messiahship: and this power of casting out devils was given to others, not only to the twelve apostles, among whom Judas was, who had the same power with the rest, and to the seventy disciples; but even to some who did not follow him, and his disciples, Mark 9:38 and some did this in the name of Jesus, who do not appear to have any true faith in him, and knowledge of him; as the vagabond Jews, exorcists, and the seven sons of Sceva, Acts 19:13. An awful consideration it is, that men should be able to cast out devils, and at last be cast to the devil.

And in thy name done many wonderful works? that is, many miracles; not one, or a few only, but many; such as speaking with tongues, removing mountains, treading on serpents and scorpions, and drinking any deadly thing without hurt, and healing all manner of diseases and sicknesses. Judas, for one, was capable of pleading all these things; he had the gift of preaching, and a call from Christ to it, and yet a castaway; he had the power of casting out devils, and yet could not prevent the devil from entering into him; he could perform miracles, do wonders in Christ's name, and yet, at last, was the betrayer of him. These pleas and arguments will be of no use to him, nor of any avail to any at the great day. It may be observed, that these men lay the whole stress of their salvation upon what they have done in Christ's name; and not on Christ himself, in whom there is salvation, and in no other: they say not a syllable of what Christ has done and suffered, but only of what they have done. Indeed, the things they instance in, are the greatest done among men; the gifts they had were the most excellent, excepting the grace of God; the works they did were of an extraordinary nature; whence it follows, that there can be no salvation, nor is it to be expected from men's works: for if preaching the word, which is attended with so much study, care, and labour, will not be a prevailing argument to admit men into the kingdom of heaven; how can it be thought that ever reading, or hearing, or any other external performance of religion, should bring persons thither?
Who is this "Gill" that I should care what he thinks about it?
I know what Christ has said, and what His apostles taught. That is all I need.

This "Gill" who writes for something called "BibleHub" did not die for me, and he cannot give me eternal life.
You may follow him if you like.
I will follow Jesus.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:

This "Gill" who writes for something called "BibleHub" did not die for me, and he cannot give me eternal life.
I will follow Jesus.
This is interesting...

Matthew did not die for you, yet to you accept his teachings?
What about Luke, or John?
Do you follow the teachings of Mark?

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The Barrd said:

I will follow Jesus.
Gill provides an excellent response to your question and answers your question thoroughly.

Remember what we discussed, God is not contradictory. Once we believe we have eternal life.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
My goodness.

I just started simple phrase of "born again". Jesus and His apostles made it clear what it is.

And look how OSAS believers trying so hard to make it complicated.

It is just unbelievable.

Reactions: Born_Again

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Joyful said:
My goodness.

I just started simple phrase of "born again". Jesus and His apostles made it clear what it is.

And look how OSAS believers trying so hard to make it complicated.

It is just unbelievable.
Have you learned what the word eternal means yet.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
ATP said:
Gill provides an excellent response to your question and answers your question thoroughly.

Remember what we discussed, God is not contradictory. Once we believe we have eternal life.
Why do you have to bring anyone who is not in the Bible? Did not Jesus and His apostles teach well enough for you?

You are right, God is not contradictory, you are making it contradictory.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
ATP said:
Have you learned what the word eternal means yet.
Eternal is eternal. What does this have to do with you not accepting Jesus' teaching of "born again"?

You will not have eternal life if you are not born again. Since you don't accept what it is to be born again, it is obvious you are not born again, dear.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
justaname said:
This is interesting...

Matthew did not die for you, yet to you accept his teachings?
What about Luke, or John?
Do you follow the teachings of Mark?
Matthew walked with Jesus, as did Mark, Luke, and John. They were inspired by God to write as they did. There words have been preserved for us and handed down to us through countless ages. Anyone who has read the Gospels knows who they are.
Also, they are not setting themselves up as teachers. They are repeating for us what Jesus taught and said.
The Bible is the Word of God.

I've never heard of "Gill".
Why would I hear the voice of strangers?