Were all Killed in Sodom & Gomorrah Evil or just Collateral Damage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Great. Would you say that any part of the road south from the Salt Sea to Eilat is a "well-watered plain?"

The entire middle east has very little rain, so, even the "well watered" isn't really.

For example, there is a beautiful Valley that leads to the Sea Of Galilee, and its nice and green and very floral, but, never is is really well watered.

I stayed two weeks in a Kibbutz near the Lebanese border, a few days in a hotel in Tiberius, took a Humvee to the top of Mt Hermon, toured a bunch of historical sites - Capernaum, Meggido, Carmel, then a very nice resort in Tel Aviv for a few days, then a pretty crappy hostel in Jerusalem for a few, but I was able to visit the Wailing Wall and tour the Temple Mount, one day in a very sketchy neighborhood in Bethlehem, Jericho for a day, then a drive to the Dead Sea and Ein Gedi and Eilat where I would have liked to have stayed longer. Very pretty water there.

Sounds like you had a nice visit..
Come back soon.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were all of the women and children killed in Sodom & Gomorrah sinfully deserving of death or did God consider them collateral damage? (Gen.19 KJV)
How many died in the Flood... Sin has no place in heaven, unless there is repentance, the wages are due..

Adrift

Apr 1, 2024
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many died in the Flood... Sin has no place in heaven, unless there is repentance, the wages are due..
That logic follows that we are all sinners that have no place in heaven. So, everytime there's a flood or other calamity, everyone who dies automatically have no place in heaven? How are you sure than none in the flood repented?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Were all of the women and children killed in Sodom & Gomorrah sinfully deserving of death or did God consider them collateral damage? (Gen.19 KJV)
Relevant question for today. (Imo) it makes me think of the undeniable barbaric attack from Hamas on Oct 7th. As a result in passing judgement for the evil done against it, Israel makes no distinction between civilians or Hamas since they all fall under the same header of those of the same corrupted mind. In reading articles of woman and children killed in this war … the children are called “collateral damage”. I’ve read there should be no remorse because those children will grow up to be soldiers (fighters) for Hamas. A majority agreeing “it is good to take them out as babies because we already know they will grow up to be evil Hamas fighters. One less fighter to deal with later.”

So I think you have a valid question that is still relevant today. ‘Were all of the women and children killed in Sodom & Gomorrah sinfully deserving of death or did God consider them collateral damage?’ (Gen.19 KJV)

Crazy …@blessedpeace ‘ Lot did this knowing those daughters would need be killed after, had the men accepted that alternative, because they were no longer virgin under God's laws.’

Reactions: Adrift

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lot knew his daughters would have to die if those men took the offer, because they would no longer be virgins under the law.
This is the second time I have read this view of the law on this topic.
What law is being referred to?

Lot was the nephew of Abraham. (Abram) ?
God gave the law to the Israelites alone through Moses.

Abram/Abraham > Isaac > Jacob/Israel > Israelites > Moses > the Law of Moses (Torah)

Observations about the law, the Law, God's law, Christ's law - four different things

/

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the second time I have read this view of the law on this topic.
What law is being referred to?

Lot was the nephew of Abraham. (Abram) ?
God gave the law to the Israelites alone through Moses.

Abram/Abraham > Isaac > Jacob/Israel > Israelites

Observations about the law, the Law, God's law, Christ's law - four different things

/
That is all over my head … “four different things”. For me it’s about discerning what is His Voice. If I was right back were I was years ago with the mindset that God is a male chauvinist hater and especially hating on me for my weakness and being female …that about Lots daughters would send me running away from God. Like I always did. It doesn’t matter to me if I understand “four different things”. To me …I only have to be able to trust His Voice. Which is not like any other Voice.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That logic follows that we are all sinners that have no place in heaven. So, everytime there's a flood or other calamity, everyone who dies automatically have no place in heaven? How are you sure than none in the flood repented?
How many came through the Flood, and what did they do to make it... They chose, as we must do today, one path leads to death and destruction, the other to life and happiness. Gods Word makes it clear were each path leads, thus Christ said it would be 'as in the days of Noah...'

• Wow
Reactions: Adrift

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many came through the Flood, and what did they do to make it... They chose, as we must do today, one path leads to death and destruction, the other to life and happiness. Gods Word makes it clear were each path leads, thus Christ said it would be 'as in the days of Noah...'

Consider these questions:

why did God Shut them in and Seal the door?

How does the ark of Noah connect with “only eight souls were saved”

And how does the ark of Noah relate to water baptism?

Attachments

• 3D4308BE-C582-40AB-AF11-0461AB27D4BC.png
    3D4308BE-C582-40AB-AF11-0461AB27D4BC.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 0

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus taught us that no one is good except our Father in heaven, but death isn't a bad thing. It's just a crossover from this into the next.

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a tricky situation. What is God to do when a society won't turn from its wickedness despite repeated warnings and plenty of time to repent? What does God do with a society that is so morally debased and corrupt that it becomes irredemable? The only recourse is to wipe them out. Otherwise, each successive generation becomes worse than the previous. Some innocents, mainly children and babies, would invariably perish in the destruction. The grace in that is that they will spend eternity in paradise and not in eternal damnation with their parents.

Reactions: Anne1

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Crazy …@blessedpeace ‘ Lot did this knowing those daughters would need be killed after, had the men accepted that alternative, because they were no longer virgin under God's laws.’
The law doesn't stone rape victims. It requires the man to pay the bride price and support the woman as his wife. But it also allows the woman's family to reject that arrangement and instead seek vengeance.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As all mankind is lost and enemies of God by nature (Eph. 2) they were all evil.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law doesn't stone rape victims. It requires the man to pay the bride price and support the woman as his wife. But it also allows the woman's family to reject that arrangement and instead seek vengeance.
‘It requires the man to pay the bride price and support the woman as his wife. But also allows the woman’s family to reject that arrangement and instead seek vengeance.’

What if her husband be dead? is the woman loosed from the law and no more called an adulterous but is free?
Romans 7:1-4 Know you not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? [2] For the woman which has an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he lives ; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. [3] So then if, while her husband lives, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. [4] Wherefore, my brethren, you also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that you should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider these questions:

why did God Shut them in and Seal the door?

How does the ark of Noah connect with “only eight souls were saved”

And how does the ark of Noah relate to water baptism?
How long did Noah tell them what was coming, he preached the truth to them year after year, and they, like we see today don't believe the truth God gives them.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How long did Noah tell them what was coming, he preached the truth to them year after year, and they, like we see today don't believe the truth God gives them.
The Genesis account doesn't support the idea of Noah preaching to anyone, as I understand it.

There was no provision in the plans for the ark for "repentant" humans to join them.
So, what would be the point. Only Noah's family and the pairs of animals were invited.

/

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Genesis account doesn't support the idea of Noah preaching to anyone, as I understand it.

There was no provision in the plans for the ark for "repentant" humans to join them.
So, what would be the point. Only Noah's family and the pairs of animals were invited.

/
Read your Bible carefully, we have what Peter unveils in 2 Peter 2:5..

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Read your Bible carefully, we have what Peter unveils in 2 Peter 2:5..
Thanks.
I'm aware of that, and the bit in Hebrews and I Peter.
The Hebrews reference says Noah condemned the world by building an ark. (quoted below)
And As I said, there is no reference to Noah preaching "the truth to them year after year" in the Genesis account.
Perhaps you are quoting EGW instead?

Hebrews 11:7 NRSVue
By faith Noah, warned by God about events as yet unseen,
respected the warning and built an ark to save his household;
by this he condemned the world and became an heir to
the righteousness that is in accordance with faith.

/

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, the 2900 people that died in the World trade Centers were all evil?
If they were not saved then yes.

As it is written:

Romans 3:10

King James Version

10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Ephesians 2:3

King James Version

3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

We tend to judge evil by how bad a person is, God judges evil differently from us. Hitler acted far more evil than Mahatma Gandhi, but both were evil in the sight of God for they both rejected jesus.