Were the Church Fathers Sent by God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is quite incorrect Phillip, not interested in looking this up?

Hello Johann,

We could speak of other mysteries revealed by God, the Incarnation, the Church, the death and ressurection of the Messiah,

But it is the Sacraments to which Paul is referring when he says:

Thus should one regard us: as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Johann,

We could speak of other mysteries revealed by God, the Incarnation, the Church, the death and ressurection of the Messiah,

But it is the Sacraments to which Paul is referring when he says:

Thus should one regard us: as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Are you equating the wedding feast of the Lamb of God to the Roman Catholic church?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are you equating the wedding feast of the Lamb of God to the Roman Catholic church?

Hello David,
The celebration of the Divine Mysteries is not limited to Roman Catholics alone..
But yes, Jesus waits there on the altar to be intimately united with all who come Him!

Peace be with you!

Edit to add from the Catechism:

1244 First Holy Communion. Having become a child of God clothed with the wedding garment, the neophyte is admitted "to the marriage supper of the Lamb" and receives the food of the new life, the body and blood of Christ.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello David,
The celebration of the Divine Mysteries is not limited to Roman Catholics alone..
But yes, Jesus waits there on the altar to be intimately united with all who come Him!

Peace be with you!

You said: "Jesus waits there on the altar to be intimately united with all who come Him"

Dear Friend, i was born, baptised, raised and confirmed thru the Roman Catholic church.

Jesus is not on any altar, in any church. To even suggest such a thing is blaspheming against the Finished Work of Christ on the Cross.

Your avatar is of Christ on the Cross. HE is not there anymore. Christ is not perpetually suffering and anyone who teaches this will be held in contempt by Christ and not permitted into the Kingdom of God.

For Christ has not entered the holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; not that He should offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood of another— He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.
Hebrews chapter 9

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You said: "Jesus waits there on the altar to be intimately united with all who come Him"

Dear Friend, i was born, baptised, raised and confirmed thru the Roman Catholic church.

Hello David,

Curious then why you were surprised at the reference to the Divine Liturgy as as the wedding feast.. Perhaps you never understood what it was you were participating in.. I know there are a lot of Catholics who dont understand juat Who it Is that they approach to receive..

Jesus is not on any altar, in any church. To even suggest such a thing is blaspheming against the Finished Work of Christ on the Cross.

Hardly, the very life of the Church flows through the Eucharist as a result of Jesus' sacrifice.. To deny Him, present in the Eucharist is to deny the 2000 year living witness of the Church, not just in Rome, but in Alexandria and in Constantinople..
I would challenge you to find any 2000 year old apostolic community that says otherwise..

Your avatar is of Christ on the Cross.

Yep, picture of God's love for us right there..

Peace be with you!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello David,

Curious then why you were surprised at the reference to the Divine Liturgy as as the wedding feast.. Perhaps you never understood what it was you were participating in.. I know there are a lot of Catholics who dont understand juat Who it Is that they approach to receive..

Hardly, the very life of the Church flows through the Eucharist as a result of Jesus' sacrifice.. To deny Him, present in the Eucharist is to deny the 2000 year living witness of the Church, not just in Rome, but in Alexandria and in Constantinople..
I would challenge you to find any 2000 year old apostolic community that says otherwise..

Peace be with you!

Are you unaware that Christ is no longer on the cross? He has been resurrected. Showing Him as still being on the cross is a picture of Roman cruelty not God's love.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are you unaware that Christ is no longer on the cross? He has been resurrected. Showing Him as still being on the cross is a picture of Roman cruelty not God's love.

Hello Jim,

Christ is risen from the tomb.. And very much alive. Why does depicting His great act of love for us discomfort you so?

Peace be with you!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello David,

Peace be with you!

Friend, please read the book of Hebrews.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
David,

I have many times. What's your point?

Pax et Bonum!

I grew up as a Roman Catholic and know all about it's idolatrous practices.
Watched my mother die clinging to hope in Mary and a wafer but not the LORD Jesus Christ.

Idolatry/Falsehood = Claiming the idolatrous catholic mass is the "marriage supper of the Lamb"

There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”
Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’
The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes.
So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.

Apostle Peter
Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible,
through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

In the Love of Christ, as a former Roman Catholic who is now been Born-Again thru the Word of God, I urge you to seek Christ with all your heart and to leave that dark place which cannot save your soul.

Christ was offered once = only once for our sins = never to suffer or be sacrificed again as
is practiced over and over in catholicism.

Reactions: amigo de christo

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Happily, you are not my judge, but thank you for your concern!

Pax et Bonum!

No, i am not your judge. Only Christ can know our hearts. He died for your sins just once and never needs to again.
His death and shed Blood is ALL sufficient to cleanse you from all sin and He will fill you with His Spirit - the Spirit of Truth.

Why would I, a former Roman catholic, seek to deter you from the LORD Jesus Christ and His Love for you?

The only blessing I receive is to see your heart set free by the Spirit of God, just as mine was and many catholics before and after me.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you and stir your heart unto faith in Him and Him alone, may HE show you the Path of Life in Him - Amen.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I grew up as a Roman Catholic and know all about it's idolatrous practices.
Watched my mother die clinging to hope in Mary and a wafer but not the LORD Jesus Christ.

Idolatry/Falsehood = Claiming the idolatrous catholic mass is the "marriage supper of the Lamb"

There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”
Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’
The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes.
So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.

Apostle Peter
Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible,
through the word of God which lives and abides forever,

In the Love of Christ, as a former Roman Catholic who is now been Born-Again thru the Word of God, I urge you to seek Christ with all your heart and to leave that dark place which cannot save your soul.

Christ was offered once = only once for our sins = never to suffer or be sacrificed again as
is practiced over and over in catholicism.

Dear David,

You claim to know the Catholic faith but on almost every post you demonstrate ignorance as to what the Mass, the Divine Liturgy is, and what the Church from the very beginning has taught and believed regarding the Eucharist.

For from the rising of the sun, even to its setting, my name is great among the nations; And everywhere they bring sacrifice to my name, and a pure offering; For great is my name among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.

Perhaps you should investigate what the Church actually believes and teaches and we could discuss that?

Catechism of the Catholic Church - IntraText

Peace!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Were the Church Fathers Sent by God?
Further to my post #24
God can and does send whoever he wants. Cyrus the heathen King of the Meds-Persians was sent to liberate Israel from the Babylonians.
.....and as alluded to in post #24, a donkey spoke to Balaam to bring him to his senses.
Putting God in our box is a primitive and ignorant way of understanding the Almighty.

Reactions: David in NJ

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Christ is no longer on the cross!!!!!

Of course.

But again I ask, what is your issue with depicting HIS great act of love for us?

For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Pax et Bonum

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The only blessing I receive is to see your heart set free by the Spirit of God, just as mine was and many catholics before and after me.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you and stir your heart unto faith in Him and Him alone, may HE show you the Path of Life in Him - Amen.

Thanks David,

Im touched by your heartfelt concern.

But you see, I DO have faith in Him! I cant remember a time when I did not.

Every faithful Catholic has faith in Jesus. Be careful not to be standing in the place of the accusor against your brethren..

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous, it is not inflated,

it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,

it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.

It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.

Peace be with you!

Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks David,

Im touched by your heartfelt concern.

But you see, I DO have faith in Him! I cant remember a time when I did not.

Every faithful Catholic has faith in Jesus. Be careful not to be standing in the place of the accusor against your brethren..

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, (love) is not pompous, it is not inflated,

it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,

it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.

It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.

Peace be with you!

Something extremely important for you to know:
Before Christ came to earth being born of a virgin, the LORD had to prepare the world for His Coming.
The LORD did this by establishing His Covenant to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
From Jacob sprang forth the 12 Tribes of Israel and from them came Moses.
The LORD revealed Himself to Moses and the First Passover, the Blood of Lamb, was shed for the salvation of a Nation.
While Moses was with the People of God, God instructed him to the building of the Tabernacle, Ark of the Covenant and the sacrifices.

Of MOST Importance to the Covenant of God's Grace was the Sabbath Rest.

And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you. You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you.
Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

God has never changed His mind on this commandment.
This commandment is still in effect today and all who break it will suffer eternal punishment - forever.

Now I work sometimes on Saturday and sometimes on Saturday and Sunday but I am not in jeopardy of condemnation.
Why?
Because the Lord Jesus Christ came to fulfill all Righteousness of the Father on our behalf by offering Himself ONCE for the sins of the world.
JESUS is the Sabbath Rest of God for all who place their complete trust in His Finished Work on the Cross = ONCE and only ONCE.
JESUS is the Lamb of God slain for us whereby His Blood Atonement completely washes away our sins = ONCE and for all eternity.
Anyone, any religion, any Pope or priest that attempts to add to the Sabbath Rest of Christ will be condemned for all eternity.
When a religion, such as Catholicism, practices repetitious prayers to Mary, weekly sacrifices of Christ, weekly confessionals with penance, they violate the Eternal Commandment of God, by rejecting the Finished Work of Christ and seeking to add to the Cross and thereby working towards their own salvation by adding to Christ.

Thus the Apostle Paul wrote: But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared,
not by works
of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us,

Again, the Apostle Paul writes: For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
not of works, lest anyone should boast.

All religious workings= repetitious prayers to Mary, weekly sacrifices of Christ, weekly confessionals with penance and so on.
These are sinful vain attempts to add to the Finished Work of Christ.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know - these jokes gotta stop - i keep spilling my coffee.

no king administers his own kingdom

Christ ascended to heaven so he certainly does not

so who does?

example would be Joseph under pharaoh