Were The People Of Noah's Time Given 120 Years' Warning?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BritGuy

Sep 18, 2010
These verses suggest so:

"And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare
children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls
of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.
And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy
them with the earth.
Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch. (Gen.6:3-14)

TexUs

Nov 18, 2010
I absolutely think they were given a hundred years.

It's really quite amazing and a testament to men's hearts.

They were given 120 years, and still ONLY NOAH AND HIS FAMILY were found righteous. In 120 years, NOT A SINGLE PERSON turned from their ways.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I also believe that a one hundred twenty year series of warning is not out of line with Biblical context as well as contemporary experience. In the major and minor prophet sections as well as Mosaic legacy, we see warnings and promises of God extending out decades, centuries and millenia.

In our own time and in our own nation, God's warnings about excess and godless living began in the 1950's. The Lord even sent a national revival in the late 60's and early 70's which, if allowed to extend to it fullest possibilities, might have changed the course of our actions. Religious leaders of denominational churches did everything they could to suppress the work of the Holy Spirit and more or less succeeded within the limits of their influence. I know because I was present in many leadership meetings in the northeastern US. As a result, people who had tasted of God's goodness left enmasse for non-denominational churches. It left a political vacuum, however, which was filled by the debauched anti-Christian progressives. A feeble disorganized attempt by the religious right in the 80's to win the White House failed. We are still living with the fallout from that mess.

Beginning in the 1950's, the Lord began to warn America about its excessive military adventures, its arrogance, and its foolish attempt to live without God.
We didn't listen then and here at the beginning of the second decade of the twenty first century we listen less.

We have sown to the wind and are reaping the whirlwind. Not many Christians believe that God is willing or capable of judgment, yet the signs are all around us.

Yet God has a genius for mingling mercy with judgment.
It is my belief that those who stop playing church and get serious about their relationship with Christ (including serious study and knowledge of His word), will be granted an escape.
Not a physical removal, mind you, but a way THROUGH the trouble based upon a living daily faith and God's promise that He will never abandon His children.

America as we have known it is already dead. What this land shall become remains to be seen.

We cannot navigate the troubled waters ourselves, but in Christ and together with His help, I believe that we can prosper in it.
This is not prosperity as the world understands it, not dollars and cents, but giantism by faith and the blessings of the Almighty; personal character, wisdom and courage may abound.

I believe that the coming months and years will reveal men and women of enormous faith among us - perhaps in our own families.

Remember that God's warnings, yes and even punishments, in the history of man are generally limited - while His blessings go on and on.

web

Dec 9, 2010
According to jewish tridition Enoch prophecied about the flood in his time before he was translated. He prophecied that on the day Methushael died that the flood would come. If that is true the world had more than 120 yrs warning. I heard that on some messianic Jewish radio program.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
According to jewish tridition Enoch prophecied about the flood in his time before he was translated. He prophecied that on the day Methushael died that the flood would come. If that is true the world had more than 120 yrs warning. I heard that on some messianic Jewish radio program.

That sounds right to me, yes.

The point in all of this is not calendar years, but INTENT.

The INTENT of God is to give adequate warning, sometimes over the space of years.

What is also apparent is that whether it is more than a century or more than a few decades, the warning period is finite.
God's patience is not forever and if repentance is not forthcoming the time to 'pay the piper' will arrive.

For the United States, the time is up.

However, the INTENT of God has also been to mingle mercy with judgment.
If those who are called by His name will repent and seek the Lord in truth, they may be delivered.

That is my hope, anyway.

The ship of state is going down fast and like the passengers on the Titanic it is time to board the life boats.
Those who are in foolish denial will suffer the fate of the craft, while those who are wise will seek escape.
For me and my family, our life boat is Christ and His guidance.
We have put our fortune and our lives in His hands and will live the future as He sees fit.
We have done so in sincerity and in truth and I believe He has heard our prayer.

My daily prayer for the family of Christ I publish here; God help us, every one.

Anastacia

Oct 23, 2010
Genesis 6 (New International Version, ©2010)

Genesis 6

Wickedness in the World
[sup]1[/sup] When human beings began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, [sup]2[/sup] the sons of God saw that the daughters of humans were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. [sup]3[/sup] Then the LORD said, “My Spirit will not contend with[sup][a][/sup] humans forever, for they are mortal[sup][/sup]; their days will be a hundred and twenty years.”

[sup]4[/sup] The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown. [sup]5[/sup] The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. [sup]6[/sup] The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. [sup]7[/sup] So the LORD said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” [sup]8[/sup] But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

Reading Genesis 6:1-8, it seems to be about how long man could live. It just seems clear, to me, that it is about two separate things....one being about 120 years his days will be, and the other being about the flood. When the 120 years is mentioned, the LORD said his Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years.

But then it seemed as if there was an escalation in the second part, in Genesis 6:5-8, where the LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth....The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth---men and animals and creatures that move along the ground , and birds of the air---for I am grieved that I have made them." But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

Do you see that it seems like there are two parts and in the second part an escalation? First part it seems that God reduces greatly the life span of man....allowing man not to live past 120 years, when before they before could live close to a thousand years, but then the second part---the escalation---God now wants to wipe mankind off the face of the earth.

JarBreaker

Apr 6, 2010
What is also apparent is that whether it is more than a century or more than a few decades, the warning period is finite.
God's patience is not forever and if repentance is not forthcoming the time to 'pay the piper' will arrive.

For the United States, the time is up.

Statement number 1 --- I believe wholeheartedly

Statement number 2 --- unless that movie Evan Almighty starts to happen in front of your face I suggest you get back into Scripture.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I absolutely think they were given a hundred years.

It's really quite amazing and a testament to men's hearts.

They were given 120 years, and still ONLY NOAH AND HIS FAMILY were found righteous. In 120 years, NOT A SINGLE PERSON turned from their ways.
After all these years the world is still filled with wickedness.