What’s wrong with Personal Sanctification?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Hagios" is the adjective form; "hagiazo" is the verb. "To make holy" is the first definition. :)
"Separating from this age" of course means separating from the sin thing. Can't argue in favor of sin. There are other things that are not sinful but are part of this age; some are called to that life. But being "separated for God" can also mean being called for God's use HERE, in THIS age.
And of course, each person's calling is unique. Let's not forget that.

It’s Jesus who founded as the one whom is a believers sanctification.

Paul wrote concerning his fellow believers in Corinth.

”Since also Jews ask a sign, and Greeks seek wisdom, also we — we preach Christ crucified, to Jews, indeed, a stumbling-block, and to Greeks foolishness, and to those called — both Jews and Greeks — Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God, because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men; for see your calling, brethren, that not many [are] wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but the foolish things of the world did God choose, that the wise He may put to shame; and the weak things of the world did God choose that He may put to shame the strong; and the base things of the world, and the things despised did God choose, and the things that are not, that the things that are He may make useless — that no flesh may glory before Him; and of Him ye — ye are in Christ Jesus, who became to us from God wisdom, righteousness also, and sanctification, and redemption, that, according as it hath been written, ‘He who is glorying — in the Lord let him glory.’“
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭1‬:‭22‬-‭31‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

I don’t harp on sin, as much other people. Sins are paid for by Christ, @Lambano. It’s not good to go have sex with your neighbors wife, but people make the choice of course. Is this a jostling joke? Make you smile or laugh?

I agree with you, people are separated from their once (old man) lived life as they continue to abide in the Lord Yeshua, rising to newness of life. With the old man in the grave, though he tends to try to get up sometimes from time to time, and none of us are impenetrable in not giving into doing something someone may deem “bad” once in a while when the temptations come around.

Paul wrote to the fellow believers in Colosse saying.

”I want you to know that I am trying very hard to help you. And I am trying to help those in Laodicea and others who have never seen me. I want them to be strengthened and joined together with love and to have the full confidence that comes from understanding. I want them to know completely the secret truth that God has made known. That truth is Christ himself. In him all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are kept safe. I tell you this so that no one can fool you by telling you ideas that seem good, but are false. Even though I am far away, my thoughts are always with you. I am happy to see your good lives and your strong faith in Christ. You accepted Christ Jesus as Lord, so continue to live following him. You must depend on Christ only, drawing life and strength from him. Just as you were taught the truth, continue to grow stronger in your understanding of it. And never stop giving thanks to God. Be sure you are not led away by the teaching of those who have nothing worth saying and only plan to deceive you. That teaching is not from Christ. It is only human tradition and comes from the powers that influence this world. I say this because all of God lives in Christ fully, even in his life on earth. And because you belong to Christ you are complete, having everything you need. Christ is ruler over every other power and authority. In Christ you had a different kind of circumcision, one that was not done by human hands. That is, you were made free from the power of your sinful self. That is the kind of circumcision Christ does. When you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and you were raised up with him because of your faith in God’s power. God’s power was shown when he raised Christ from death. You were spiritually dead because of your sins and because you were not free from the power of your sinful self. But God gave you new life together with Christ. He forgave all our sins. Because we broke God’s laws, we owed a debt—a debt that listed all the rules we failed to follow. But God forgave us of that debt. He took it away and nailed it to the cross. He defeated the rulers and powers of the spiritual world. With the cross he won the victory over them and led them away, as defeated and powerless prisoners for the whole world to see. So don’t let anyone make rules for you about eating and drinking or about Jewish customs (festivals, New Moon celebrations, or Sabbath days). In the past these things were like a shadow that showed what was coming. But the new things that were coming are found in Christ. Some people enjoy acting as if they are humble and love to worship angels. They always talk about the visions they have seen. Don’t listen to them when they say you are wrong because you don’t do these things. It is so foolish for them to feel such pride, because it is all based on their own human ideas. They don’t keep themselves under the control of the head. Christ is the head, and the whole body depends on him. Because of Christ all the parts of the body care for each other and help each other. So the body is made stronger and held together as God causes it to grow. You died with Christ and were made free from the powers that influence this world. So why do you act as if you still belong to the world? I mean, why do you follow rules like these: “Don’t eat this,” “Don’t taste that,” “Don’t touch that”? These rules are talking about earthly things that are gone after they are used. They are only human commands and teachings. These rules may seem to be wise as part of a made-up religion in which people pretend to be humble and punish their bodies. But they don’t help people stop doing the evil that the sinful self wants to do.“
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2‬:‭1‬-‭23‬ ‭ERV‬‬

@Lambano, sure people may choose to do what they like to, as long as it is the love for God and love for others which is the fruits which Yahavah produces and they aren’t trying to trick you or lie to you, that’s good. Be weary.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here you go. Exodus 3:15

And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, יְהוָה, God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

You tell me: The eternal name of God, the Hebrew word I highlighted, how do YOU pronounce it?
Which Christian Bible says "Yahavah"? Can't find one?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”So, as a prisoner for the Lord, I beg you to live the way God’s people should live, because he chose you to be his. Always be humble and gentle. Be patient and accept each other with love. You are joined together with peace through the Spirit. Do all you can to continue as you are, letting peace hold you together. There is one body and one Spirit, and God chose you to have one hope. There is one Lord, one faith, and one baptism. There is one God and Father of us all, who rules over everyone. He works through all of us and in all of us. Christ gave each one of us a special gift. Everyone received what he wanted to give them. That is why the Scriptures say, “He went up high into the sky; he took prisoners with him, and he gave gifts to people.” Psalm 68:18 When it says, “He went up,” what does it mean? It means that he first came down low to earth. So Christ came down, and he is the same one who went up. He went up above the highest heaven in order to fill everything with himself. And that same Christ gave these gifts to people: He made some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to go and tell the Good News, and some to care for and teach God’s people. Christ gave these gifts to prepare God’s holy people for the work of serving, to make the body of Christ stronger. This work must continue until we are all joined together in what we believe and in what we know about the Son of God. Our goal is to become like a full-grown man—to look just like Christ and have all his perfection. Then we will no longer be like babies. We will not be people who are always changing like a ship that the waves carry one way and then another. We will not be influenced by every new teaching we hear from people who are trying to deceive us—those who make clever plans and use every kind of trick to fool others into following the wrong way. No, we will speak the truth with love. We will grow to be like Christ in every way. He is the head, and the whole body depends on him. All the parts of the body are joined and held together, with each part doing its own work. This causes the whole body to grow and to be stronger in love. I have something from the Lord to tell you. I warn you: Don’t continue living like those who don’t believe. Their thoughts are worth nothing. They have no understanding, and they know nothing because they refuse to listen. So they cannot have the life that God gives. They have lost their feeling of shame and use their lives to do what is morally wrong. More and more they want to do all kinds of evil. But that way of life is nothing like what you learned when you came to know Christ. I know that you heard about him, and in him you were taught the truth. Yes, the truth is in Jesus. You were taught to leave your old self. This means that you must stop living the evil way you lived before. That old self gets worse and worse, because people are fooled by the evil they want to do. You must be made new in your hearts and in your thinking. Be that new person who was made to be like God, truly good and pleasing to him. So you must stop telling lies. “You must always speak the truth to each other,” because we all belong to each other in the same body. “When you are angry, don’t let that anger make you sin,” and don’t stay angry all day. Don’t give the devil a way to defeat you. Whoever has been stealing must stop it and start working. They must use their hands for doing something good. Then they will have something to share with those who are poor. When you talk, don’t say anything bad. But say the good things that people need—whatever will help them grow stronger. Then what you say will be a blessing to those who hear you. And don’t make the Holy Spirit sad. God gave you his Spirit as proof that you belong to him and that he will keep you safe until the day he makes you free. Never be bitter, angry, or mad. Never shout angrily or say things to hurt others. Never do anything evil. Be kind and loving to each other. Forgive each other the same as God forgave you through Christ.“
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4‬:‭1‬-‭32‬ ‭ERV‬‬

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”So, as a prisoner for the Lord, I beg you to live the way God’s people should live, because he chose you to be his. Always be humble and gentle. Be patient and accept each other with love. You are joined together with peace through the Spirit. Do all you can to continue as you are, letting peace hold you together. There is one body and one Spirit, and God chose you to have one hope. There is one Lord, one faith, and one baptism. There is one God and Father of us all, who rules over everyone. He works through all of us and in all of us. Christ gave each one of us a special gift. Everyone received what he wanted to give them. That is why the Scriptures say, “He went up high into the sky; he took prisoners with him, and he gave gifts to people.” Psalm 68:18 When it says, “He went up,” what does it mean? It means that he first came down low to earth. So Christ came down, and he is the same one who went up. He went up above the highest heaven in order to fill everything with himself. And that same Christ gave these gifts to people: He made some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to go and tell the Good News, and some to care for and teach God’s people. Christ gave these gifts to prepare God’s holy people for the work of serving, to make the body of Christ stronger. This work must continue until we are all joined together in what we believe and in what we know about the Son of God. Our goal is to become like a full-grown man—to look just like Christ and have all his perfection. Then we will no longer be like babies. We will not be people who are always changing like a ship that the waves carry one way and then another. We will not be influenced by every new teaching we hear from people who are trying to deceive us—those who make clever plans and use every kind of trick to fool others into following the wrong way. No, we will speak the truth with love. We will grow to be like Christ in every way. He is the head, and the whole body depends on him. All the parts of the body are joined and held together, with each part doing its own work. This causes the whole body to grow and to be stronger in love. I have something from the Lord to tell you. I warn you: Don’t continue living like those who don’t believe. Their thoughts are worth nothing. They have no understanding, and they know nothing because they refuse to listen. So they cannot have the life that God gives. They have lost their feeling of shame and use their lives to do what is morally wrong. More and more they want to do all kinds of evil. But that way of life is nothing like what you learned when you came to know Christ. I know that you heard about him, and in him you were taught the truth. Yes, the truth is in Jesus. You were taught to leave your old self. This means that you must stop living the evil way you lived before. That old self gets worse and worse, because people are fooled by the evil they want to do. You must be made new in your hearts and in your thinking. Be that new person who was made to be like God, truly good and pleasing to him. So you must stop telling lies. “You must always speak the truth to each other,” because we all belong to each other in the same body. “When you are angry, don’t let that anger make you sin,” and don’t stay angry all day. Don’t give the devil a way to defeat you. Whoever has been stealing must stop it and start working. They must use their hands for doing something good. Then they will have something to share with those who are poor. When you talk, don’t say anything bad. But say the good things that people need—whatever will help them grow stronger. Then what you say will be a blessing to those who hear you. And don’t make the Holy Spirit sad. God gave you his Spirit as proof that you belong to him and that he will keep you safe until the day he makes you free. Never be bitter, angry, or mad. Never shout angrily or say things to hurt others. Never do anything evil. Be kind and loving to each other. Forgive each other the same as God forgave you through Christ.“
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4‬:‭1‬-‭32‬ ‭ERV‬‬
Nice smokescreen Matt! Why do you ATTACK the Christian Bible and then quote it?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Hagios" is the adjective form; "hagiazo" is the verb. "To make holy" is the first definition. :)

"Separating from this age" of course means separating from the sin thing. Can't argue in favor of sin. There are other things that are not sinful but are part of this age; some are called to that life. But being "separated for God" can also mean being called for God's use HERE, in THIS age.

And of course, each person's calling is unique. Let's not forget that.
Maybe I've said this before, one place I see holiness demonstrated is,

Ephesians 4:24-25 KJV
24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
25) Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

I see here righteousness is speaking truth, that is, doing what is right, and holiness in living as members one of another, that is, being what God intends for us to be.

Holiness is living and being according to God's purpose for us.

Much love!

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you, BlessedPeace. I've never seen the pronunciation "Yi-wah" or "Yi-weh" before, but I see how he derived it.

I also notice that the 4 consonant-vowel syllable pronunciation is highly unlikely.

Now we'll have to ask Matthew to change the thread topic to match what we're actually talking about. Or, we can go back to talking about personal sanctification.

• Love
Reactions: BlessedPeace

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you, BlessedPeace. I've never seen the pronunciation "Yi-wah" or "Yi-weh" before, but I see how he derived it.

I also notice that the 4 consonant-vowel syllable pronunciation is highly unlikely.

Now we'll have to ask Matthew to change the thread topic to match what we're actually talking about. Or, we can go back to talking about personal sanctification.

:)

Reactions: Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”And now, my brothers and sisters, be filled with joy in the Lord. It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again.

I want to be sure that you are prepared. Be careful of the dogs—those men whose work does only harm. They want to cut on everyone who isn’t circumcised. But we are the ones who have the true circumcision—we who worship God through his Spirit.

We don’t trust in ourselves or anything we can do. We take pride only in Christ Jesus.

Even if I am able to trust in myself, still I don’t do it.

If anyone else thinks they have a reason to trust in themselves, they should know that I have a greater reason for doing so. I was circumcised on the eighth day after my birth. I am from the people of Israel and the tribe of Benjamin. I am a true Jew, and so were my parents.

The law was very important to me. That is why I became a Pharisee. I was so eager to defend my religion that I persecuted the church. And no one could find fault with the way I obeyed the Law of Moses.

At one time all these things were important to me.

But because of Christ, I decided that they are worth nothing.

Not only these things, but now I think that all things are worth nothing compared with the greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

Because of Christ, I lost all these things, and now I know that they are all worthless trash. All I want now is Christ. I want to belong to him.

In Christ I am right with God, but my being right does not come from following the law.

It comes from God through faith.

God uses my faith in Christ to make me right with him. All I want is to know Christ and the power that raised him from death.

I want to share in his sufferings and be like him even in his death. Then there is hope that I myself will somehow be raised from death.

I don’t mean that I am exactly what God wants me to be. I have not yet reached that goal. But I continue trying to reach it and make it mine.

That’s what Christ Jesus wants me to do. It is the reason he made me his.

Brothers and sisters, I know that I still have a long way to go.

But there is one thing I do: I forget what is in the past and try as hard as I can to reach the goal before me.

I keep running hard toward the finish line to get the prize that is mine because God has called me through Christ Jesus to life up there in heaven.

All of us who have grown to be spiritually mature should think this way too. And if there is any of this that you don’t agree with, God will make it clear to you.

But we should continue following the truth we already have. Brothers and sisters, join together in following my example. Also, learn by watching those who are living the way we showed you.

There are many who live like enemies of the cross of Christ. I have often told you about them. And it makes me cry to tell you about them now. The way they live is leading them to destruction. They have replaced God with their own desires. They do shameful things, and they are proud of what they do. They think only about earthly things.

But the government that rules us is in heaven. We are waiting for our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, to come from there. He will change our humble bodies and make them like his own glorious body. Christ can do this by his power, with which he is able to rule everything.“
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭3‬:‭1‬-‭21‬ ‭ERV‬‬

Paul writing to his audience there in Phillip.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
”Then his followers said, “You are already speaking plainly to us. You are not using words that hide the meaning. We can see now that you know all things. You answer our questions even before we ask them. This makes us believe that you came from God.” Jesus said, “So now you believe? Listen to me. A time is coming when you will be scattered, each to his own home. In fact, that time is already here. You will leave me, and I will be alone. But I am never really alone, because the Father is with me. “I have told you these things so that you can have peace in me. In this world you will have troubles. But be brave! I have defeated the world!”“
‭‭John‬ ‭16‬:‭29‬-‭33‬ ‭ERV‬‬

”After Jesus said these things, he looked toward heaven and prayed, “Father, the time has come. Give glory to your Son so that the Son can give glory to you. You gave the Son power over all people so that he could give eternal life to all those you have given to him. And this is eternal life: that people can know you, the only true God, and that they can know Jesus Christ, the one you sent. I finished the work you gave me to do. I brought you glory on earth. And now, Father, give me glory with you. Give me the glory I had with you before the world was made. “You gave me some people from the world. I have shown them what you are like. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me. They have obeyed your teaching. Now they know that everything I have came from you. I told them the words you gave me, and they accepted them. They realized the fact that I came from you and believed that you sent me. I pray for them now. I am not praying for the people in the world. But I am praying for these people you gave me, because they are yours. All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And my glory is seen in them. “Now I am coming to you. I will not stay in the world, but these followers of mine are still in the world. Holy Father, keep them safe by the power of your name—the name you gave me. Then they will be one, just as you and I are one. While I was with them, I kept them safe by the power of your name—the name you gave me. I protected them. And only one of them was lost—the one who was sure to be lost. This was to show the truth of what the Scriptures said would happen. “I am coming to you now. But I pray these things while I am still in the world. I say all this so that these followers can have the true happiness that I have. I want them to be completely happy. I have given them your teaching. And the world has hated them, because they don’t belong to the world, just as I don’t belong to the world. “I am not asking you to take them out of the world. But I am asking that you keep them safe from the Evil One. They don’t belong to the world, just as I don’t belong to the world. Make them ready for your service through your truth. Your teaching is truth. I have sent them into the world, just as you sent me into the world. I am making myself completely ready to serve you. I do this for them, so that they also might be fully qualified for your service. “I pray not only for these followers but also for those who will believe in me because of their teaching. Father, I pray that all who believe in me can be one. You are in me and I am in you. I pray that they can also be one in us. Then the world will believe that you sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me. I gave them this glory so that they can be one, just as you and I are one. I will be in them, and you will be in me. So they will be completely one. Then the world will know that you sent me and that you loved them just as you loved me. “Father, I want these people you have given me to be with me in every place I am. I want them to see my glory—the glory you gave me because you loved me before the world was made. Father, you are the one who always does what is right. The world does not know you, but I know you, and these followers of mine know that you sent me. I showed them what you are like, and I will show them again. Then they will have the same love that you have for me, and I will live in them.”“
‭‭John‬ ‭17‬:‭1‬-‭26‬ ‭ERV‬‬

To be sanctified, one needs to be sanctified in truth, as Jesus prays to his Father about making his followers who would literally go on to pass the message of the good news message, for those looking for Salvation. Being made new in Christ, and rising again to new life, allowing God to hold our old man from coming back up in which one returns to their old life. It’s a personal relationship that involves a single individual and the LORD GOD, whom is our Father, some suggest Yahweh, Yahavah, or Jehovah. However you may sit that fits best for you.

”We are not trying to prove ourselves to you again. But we are telling you about ourselves. We are giving you reasons to be proud of us. Then you will have an answer for those who are proud about what can be seen. They don’t care about what is in a person’s heart. If we are crazy, it is for God. If we have our right mind, it is for you. The love of Christ controls us, because we know that one person died for everyone. So all have died. He died for all so that those who live would not continue to live for themselves. He died for them and was raised from death so that they would live for him. From this time on we don’t think of anyone as the world thinks of people. It is true that in the past we thought of Christ as the world thinks. But we don’t think that way now. When anyone is in Christ, it is a whole new world. The old things are gone; suddenly, everything is new! All this is from God. Through Christ, God made peace between himself and us. And God gave us the work of bringing people into peace with him. I mean that God was in Christ, making peace between the world and himself. In Christ, God did not hold people guilty for their sins. And he gave us this message of peace to tell people. So we have been sent to speak for Christ. It is like God is calling to people through us. We speak for Christ when we beg you to be at peace with God. Christ had no sin, but God made him become sin so that in Christ we could be right with God.“
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5‬:‭12‬-‭21‬ ‭ERV‬‬