What are concrete suggestions when it comes to Bible Study?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are some of your suggestions for a person who is new to the Bible, and they wanna learn and study more about it?

Many always simply suggest reading the Gospels, and the Old Testament. There are people out there who reject, or even question some of the things the writers of the Bible have said.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do not try and force an immediate understanding of what you have read in just a couple of verses. Take your time in forming your understanding of who God is and what His requirements are. If revelation does not come as to what the passages means, then keep reading the rest of the Bible until you discover what that particular passage from the Bible means.

Treat commentaries with caution as many commentaries disagree with each other and are often their biased opinion based on their own determination of who or what God is to them.

Listen to what others may tell you about what they think and believe, but always validate what they tell you with what is found in the Bible.

Remember that we are all on a journey in our walk with the Lord and that what fits one person may not be suitable for your needs right at that moment or ever.

Just a few thoughts

Shalom

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Don't build with straw!

Reactions: MatthewG

Invisibilis

Nov 9, 2017
Northern Rivers
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I first only read the words of Jesus Christ, because it seemed more relevant to my spiritual needs.
Then I read the New Testament. Later I went and read the Old Testament.
For me, the Truth revealed to me by the New Testament helped me to go deeper/beyond the stories of the Old Testament.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Many always simply suggest reading the Gospels, and the Old Testament. There are people out there who reject, or even question some of the things the writers of the Bible have said.
You can tell a newbie the following:

1. To start with, believe that the Bible is the written Word of God. It deals with spiritual things.

2. If you cannot -- or will not -- believe this, read William Shakespeare instead.

3. Start with the Gospel of John, and know that unless you have been born again, you will not really understand most of the Bible.

4. Consider every word and every verse carefully. Assume nothing, Check your concordance if in doubt.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What are some of your suggestions for a person who is new to the Bible, and they wanna learn and study more about it?
First and foremost an accurate, modern English translation, one that holds true to original tenet of scripture.
Then find a really good research site...one not bound to Christendom's doctrines, but who interprets scripture according to first century Jewish understanding. Jesus' original audience were all Jewish as were his first disciples.

When Philip the Evangelizer was told to approach a man in a chariot who was an Ethiopian Official who had converted to Judaism, the man was reading aloud the prophet Isaiah. Philip asked him if he understood what he was reading, and the Ethiopian replied..."how could I ever do so unless someone guided me?" (Acts 8:26-36) We all need good spiritual guides.

God's people have always had spiritual guides appointed to teach them about Yahweh.
The Christians had Jesus who taught his apostles, and they in turn taught others.
The apostles and other disciples wrote down what Jesus taught so that we who were coming after them, would have guidance.

What humans think about the scriptures, and what they say about them if they want to cast doubt on their authenticity, doesn't matter....they will miss out out on what God is offering humanity by means of the teachings he gave to his son to pass on to us.

John 7:14-16...
"....Jesus went up into the temple area, and began to teach. 15 The Jews then were astonished, saying, “How has this man become learned, not having been educated?” 16 So Jesus answered them and said, “My teaching is not My own, but His who sent Me." (NASB)
Jesus taught only what his Father told him to teach. We need to listen to those he taught, and allow the scriptures to speak for themselves, understanding that Jesus' audience was exclusively Jewish and understood from their point of view.

I love researching Bible topics and have found reading many different translations, along with interlinear translations and also Strongs Concordance, has helped to round out my understanding of many subjects.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Something that is hard to put into practice is what Jesus said at: (John 16:12) . . .“I have many things yet to say to YOU, but YOU are not able to bear them at present.
We have so many things we want our students to know, but simply put new ones are infants, and they simply cannot handle the meat of the Word, and like an infant can choke on the Word, and maybe even be stumbled out. The growth is aptly illustrated that Heb 5:12. So that is why I love the new Enjoy Life study book, it is quite simple and loaded with videos, and further sources for those more advanced.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Something that is hard to put into practice is what Jesus said at: (John 16:12) . . .“I have many things yet to say to YOU, but YOU are not able to bear them at present.
We have so many things we want our students to know, but simply put new ones are infants, and they simply cannot handle the meat of the Word, and like an infant can choke on the Word, and maybe even be stumbled out. The growth is aptly illustrated that Heb 5:12. So that is why I love the new Enjoy Life study book, it is quite simple and loaded with videos, and further sources for those more advanced.
Your culture is a religious Robert .....it's not a culture whose priority is knowing Jesus.... if it were your reply to Matthew would have resonated with it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m to the point in my own life: where Christianity is subjective.

Now there are many denominations out there, and while I would probably most disagree with a majority of perceptions and views many people have on certain subjects in all honesty.

The initial thought is about their freedom to have their relationship with God in faith of the death, burial, and resurrection and their own effort to study and grow and they have their own measure of faith.

Therefore even though I can not be with any of you physically to have a bite to eat and a walk at the garage sells, or whatever it is you do, just know despite all of our own biases and prejudice judgments towards on another the main goal of Christianity is always love, and to serve God and serve Man.

With all this being said: God gives different measures of faith, and that faith resides in the heart of the believer and God sees the heart. Reading the word will go even deeper to discern your hearts intentions.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not try and force an immediate understanding of what you have read in just a couple of verses. Take your time in forming your understanding of who God is and what His requirements are. If revelation does not come as to what the passages means, then keep reading the rest of the Bible until you discover what that particular passage from the Bible means.

Treat commentaries with caution as many commentaries disagree with each other and are often their biased opinion based on their own determination of who or what God is to them.

Listen to what others may tell you about what they think and believe, but always validate what they tell you with what is found in the Bible.

Remember that we are all on a journey in our walk with the Lord and that what fits one person may not be suitable for your needs right at that moment or ever.

Just a few thoughts

Shalom

Thank Jay, for your insights.

Don't build with straw!
Quietthinker,

Straws burn up. I know because I lit haystraw on fire in a barn one windy day, at the age of 9, with a lighter. 3 hours laters the mans barn was up in flames. I blamed the incident on my imaginary friend that was not there to the Fire Police Chief, and got very lucky to have no charges pressed against me. It was an accident however not having any knowledge at all. I didn’t really think or know going into someone’s yard, into their barn, and using a stolen lighter were all negative consequences to begin with.

I first only read the words of Jesus Christ, because it seemed more relevant to my spiritual needs.
Then I read the New Testament. Later I went and read the Old Testament.
For me, the Truth revealed to me by the New Testament helped me to go deeper/beyond the stories of the Old Testament.
Inv,
I would agree your are right about that, thank you for sharing your insights.

You can tell a newbie the following:

1. To start with, believe that the Bible is the written Word of God. It deals with spiritual things.

2. If you cannot -- or will not -- believe this, read William Shakespeare instead.

3. Start with the Gospel of John, and know that unless you have been born again, you will not really understand most of the Bible.

4. Consider every word and every verse carefully. Assume nothing, Check your concordance if in doubt.

Enonch,

thank you for sharing your insights.

First and foremost an accurate, modern English translation, one that holds true to original tenet of scripture.
Then find a really good research site...one not bound to Christendom's doctrines, but who interprets scripture according to first century Jewish understanding. Jesus' original audience were all Jewish as were his first disciples.

When Philip the Evangelizer was told to approach a man in a chariot who was an Ethiopian Official who had converted to Judaism, the man was reading aloud the prophet Isaiah. Philip asked him if he understood what he was reading, and the Ethiopian replied..."how could I ever do so unless someone guided me?" (Acts 8:26-36) We all need good spiritual guides.

God's people have always had spiritual guides appointed to teach them about Yahweh.
The Christians had Jesus who taught his apostles, and they in turn taught others.
The apostles and other disciples wrote down what Jesus taught so that we who were coming after them, would have guidance.

What humans think about the scriptures, and what they say about them if they want to cast doubt on their authenticity, doesn't matter....they will miss out out on what God is offering humanity by means of the teachings he gave to his son to pass on to us.

John 7:14-16...
"....Jesus went up into the temple area, and began to teach. 15 The Jews then were astonished, saying, “How has this man become learned, not having been educated?” 16 So Jesus answered them and said, “My teaching is not My own, but His who sent Me." (NASB)
Jesus taught only what his Father told him to teach. We need to listen to those he taught, and allow the scriptures to speak for themselves, understanding that Jesus' audience was exclusively Jewish and understood from their point of view.

I love researching Bible topics and have found reading many different translations, along with interlinear translations and also Strongs Concordance, has helped to round out my understanding of many subjects.

Aunty, thank you so much I would agree with you about how good it is to use concordances to learn and to really dig deep! Thank you for your insights.

Robert,

You are correct as you cant give an infant a fully grown sliced piece of carrot to chew on with no teeth. That would choke them and kill them. I believe Paul said it the best when he talks about how some people simply need the milk of the word. And that is founded when we are going through the Gospels is isnt?

I did a count once on the chapters of the Gospels, 28 + 16 + 22? +19? I didn’t look just guessing. Anyone if you like to, answer this question.

How many chapters are in the combining of all Gospels in total?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My suggestion is to take Jesus' words as important and not to be perverted. Second read the old and new testament and learn of the sacrifice talked about thru the bible that is an example of the sacrifice Jesus made for us. Third is to take the passages as literal and if it doesn't add up then look at them as symbolic in meaning.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fourth I would suggest reading Matthew of the sheep and goats on the left and right of the Lord. This will give them an understanding of how to love their brothers and sisters correctly. Feeding the hungry and clothing the naked and visiting them in prison and so on and so forth. This will testify of God's love for us and in so doing further teach them about God.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Devin, thank you for those suggestions. Your right about how it is also about loving your neighbor as yourself. To show love, compassion, mercy, a listening ear, a nonjudgmental heart, by loving God first and staying connected and close to him, in drawing near.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your culture is a religious Robert .....it's not a culture whose priority is knowing Jesus.... if it were your reply to Matthew would have resonated with it.

Yes sir Thinkr, I am very religious, I live my life in obedience to the faith. As a disciple of Christ, I will state, it is imperative that you know him, at the very least his gospel, as obedience to the gospel is a requirement for preservation upon Jesus' return 2 Thes 1:8, also notice in that same verse knowing God is a requirement as well. Christians pattern their lives after Jesus sir 1 Pet 2:21