What are God's laws now for?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are God's laws for in relation to the New Covenant?

• God's laws are for Jews only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • God's laws are for Christians only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
When you answer mine then I will answer yours.
I'm waiting for you to ask me a question Buzz. How can I answer if you don't ask??? You jump me for answering a question not addressed to me and then you jump me for NOT answering. Make up your mind.

So then, do we have to obey the NT?

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Why do you assume that God must have told him? Could it not simply be that the fact that he was righteous in God's eyes and was filled with God's Spirit, he was moved to know that what he did was the right thing. God does not and never intended to make us automations where He has to tell us every thing......that is why He gave us a mind like His.

Like you said, God didn't create us to be automations (I assume you mean robots). Even when God influences man to speak by The Holy Spirit that still involves the speaker being given comprehension of the words being spoken. And all throughout God's Word we have many marvelous examples of He and His sent messengers giving direct revelations to His servants on earth. So why would we think it was by some other mode of communication before the flood between God and man that does not follow that Biblical pattern?

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Like you said, God didn't create us to be automations (I assume you mean robots). Even when God influences man to speak by The Holy Spirit that still involves the speaker being given comprehension of the words being spoken. And all throughout God's Word we have many marvelous examples of He and His sent messengers giving direct revelations to His servants on earth. So why would we think it was by some other mode of communication before the flood between God and man that does not follow that Biblical pattern?

Because we have no evidence in scripture that God spoke to him and told him how to go about it. And God does not have to always tell His people what to do and how to do it......if they have His Spirit it means they have His Nature, and once a person has partaken of God's Nature they will know what would be pleasing God as they grow in spirit and abide in Him.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Because we have no evidence in scripture that God spoke to him and told him how to go about it. And God does not have to always tell His people what to do and how to do it......if they have His Spirit it means they have His Nature, and once a person has partaken of God's Nature they will know what would be pleasing God as they grow in spirit and abide in Him.

God spoke to the man Adam in His Garden, before the fall and after the fall per Gen.2 & 3. God spoke to Cain before and after Cain murdered his brother Abel. In Gen.5 we're told that Enoch "walked with God", and that God took him. God warned Noah directly that He was going to bring a flood and told Noah to build an ark, etc., etc. God spoke directly to many of His servants all throughout the OT Books.

I don't know who's been telling you such ideas, but when we receive The Holy Spirit by believing on Christ Jesus and being baptized in Him, we DO NOT become our own 'Christ'. We still need direction from God in our lives through prayer.

If it were as you say, then it would mean we no longer have ANY further need for prayer at all, since we would have assumed His Nature to become God with Him! That's actually what you're saying, whether you realize it or not. We are God's children, and not God Himself.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
God spoke to the man Adam in His Garden, before the fall and after the fall per Gen.2 & 3. God spoke to Cain before and after Cain murdered his brother Abel. In Gen.5 we're told that Enoch "walked with God", and that God took him. God warned Noah directly that He was going to bring a flood and told Noah to build an ark, etc., etc. God spoke directly to many of His servants all throughout the OT Books.

I don't know who's been telling you such ideas, but when we receive The Holy Spirit by believing on Christ Jesus and being baptized in Him, we DO NOT become our own 'Christ'. We still need direction from God in our lives through prayer.

If it were as you say, then it would mean we no longer have ANY further need for prayer at all, since we would have assumed His Nature to become God with Him! That's actually what you're saying, whether you realize it or not. We are God's children, and not God Himself.

We know that because it tells us that in the Bible but what you are claiming about Able is not.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
We know that because it tells us that in the Bible but what you are claiming about Able is not.

Abel did not just dream up the proper sacrifice to God of that time on his own, simply because it was not specifically written how he knew what would please God.

Heb 11:4
4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
(KJV)

For that to be said of Abel, it has to mean he had The Faith, revealed to him by God. Thus, the following applied to righteous Abel's Faith also...

Heb 11:13
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
(KJV)

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Abel did not just dream up the proper sacrifice to God of that time on his own, simply because it was not specifically written how he knew what would please God.

Heb 11:4
4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
(KJV)

For that to be said of Abel, it has to mean he had The Faith, revealed to him by God. Thus, the following applied to righteous Abel's Faith also...

Heb 11:13
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
(KJV)

God does not have to tell you to do something in order for it to be faith when you do what you do. If I pray about a matter and I believe that God will grant me what I ask, and He gave it to me, that is faith. Able was simply moved by faith to do what he did and God was pleased with what he did.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Ludicrous. Because God's children are not moved by belief only, but also by understanding given from God by The Holy Spirit. Yet in OT times, and even later in NT times, God spoke 'directly' to His chosen servants.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Hey Rach, the kitty in your avatar looks like one of mine! Too cute!!!! Jesus only gave two commandments. Love the Lord and love the brethren. Not everyone. The brothern. Who are the brethren? THose of like precious faith.

I have a lot to say about that. First, who are your brethren? Back in 1990 I didn't know God from a bird flying backwards. But I was predestinated to be one. I was still a brother, but I nor anyone else knew it. Now that scallywag on the street... Is he a brother? Who knows from one day to 20 years from now if he will or won't be? Because I'm told to love the brethren, and I don't know who they are.... I just at least treat everyone with kindness.

Why do we love the brothren as we love Christ? Ever consider that question? I have an answer, but I'd like to hear what you have to say first.

im pretty sure Jesus said you must love your 'neighbor' as yourself

Remember his parable of the 'Good Samaritan'...that story was about a man who helped another of a different race to his own. When a jew asked Jesus 'Who really is my neighbour', jesus answered with the story and then asked 'who made himself neighbor to the man lying on the road?'

So we must love our neighbors... .and technically, we are all children of Adam and therefore we are already brothers and sisters anyway... so we are one big family.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
im pretty sure Jesus said you must love your 'neighbor' as yourself

Remember his parable of the 'Good Samaritan'...that story was about a man who helped another of a different race to his own. When a jew asked Jesus 'Who really is my neighbour', jesus answered with the story and then asked 'who made himself neighbor to the man lying on the road?'

So we must love our neighbors... .and technically, we are all children of Adam and therefore we are already brothers and sisters anyway... so we are one big family.

If notice when He said it He was speaking the Pharisees; people who are being lead by God's spirit generally don't have to be told these things.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
If notice when He said it He was speaking the Pharisees; people who are being lead by God's spirit generally don't have to be told these things.

thats very true

One of the frutis of Gods spirit is Love...it is the main quality of the spirit because God IS love.

But those pharisees were not moved by Gods spirit to show love, hence why Jesus told them they were from their father the devil.

John 8:42 Jesus said to them: “If God were YOUR Father, YOU would love me, for from God I came forth and am here. Neither have I come of my own initiative at all, but that One sent me forth. 43 Why is it YOU do not know what I am speaking? Because YOU cannot listen to my word. 44 YOU are from YOUR father the Devil, and YOU wish to do the desires of YOUR father

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
thats very true

One of the frutis of Gods spirit is Love...it is the main quality of the spirit because God IS love.

But those pharisees were not moved by Gods spirit to show love, hence why Jesus told them they were from their father the devil.

John 8:42 Jesus said to them: “If God were YOUR Father, YOU would love me, for from God I came forth and am here. Neither have I come of my own initiative at all, but that One sent me forth. 43 Why is it YOU do not know what I am speaking? Because YOU cannot listen to my word. 44 YOU are from YOUR father the Devil, and YOU wish to do the desires of YOUR father

Correct.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I just thought it was interesting coming from someone who won't answer the simple question "Do we have to obey the NT?"