What are God's laws now for?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are God's laws for in relation to the New Covenant?

• God's laws are for Jews only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • God's laws are for Christians only

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
And what happens if YOU are not led of The Spirit???
Moreover, why would Paul preach that those who do those things sins he listed will not inherit the Kingdom of God? I thought all one had to do was just believe on Christ Jesus and be saved??
The New Covenant condemns those who live in sin, whether they believe in Jesus or not. Only those who do God's will will enter His eternal Kingdom.

Matthew 7:21-23 (NKJV)
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
The New Covenant condemns those who live in sin, whether they believe in Jesus or not. Only those who do God's will will enter His eternal Kingdom.

Matthew 7:21-23 (NKJV)
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

That's right, so what happens if someone, whether a Christian or non-Christian, is caught stealing a car?

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
What are God's laws for in relation to the New Covenant?

1. God's laws no longer exist for anyone
  2. God's laws are for Jews only
  3. God's laws are for Christians only
  4. God's laws exist to punish the unrighteous
That questions is really mute because it is none of the above. It is neither in effect nor has it been done away. The question should be what was the reason why God gave the laws to Israel? Israel as a Nation like all Nations were not only carnal but they also did not have God's Spirit. So with that, what would be the best way for God to get them to understand what He is like if not by a set of laws?
When one has the Holy Spirit living in him or her you don't need a set of laws to tell you what is right or wrong......the Holy Spirit will guide you to discern the different between good and evil, and the will and desire to do what is good. Its it the reason why Jesus gave a new commandment, which is love. God is love, and Jesus said that the Father and He will come and live in His people, via the Holy Spirit. So once you have Holy Spirit you have all that you need. It is the same thing as this prophecy. Jeremiah 31:31-34 (ASV)
[sup]31 [/sup]Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
[sup]32 [/sup]not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith Jehovah.
[sup]33 [/sup]But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith Jehovah: I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people:
[sup]34 [/sup]and they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know Jehovah; for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith Jehovah: for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin will I remember no more.

As Christians, we are living that New Covenant.......God's laws have been written in our mind......the Holy Spirit is living in us.The Nature of God has been imparted to us, so therefore we don't need the Ten Commandments to guide us. It is the same way that a healthy and able body person does not need crutches to get around......the laws of God are crutches for the unconverted mind to help them get around.

Theodore A. Jones

Aug 15, 2011
Romans 5:20 says, "Moreover, the Law entered that the offense might abound, but where sin abounded, grace did much more abound."

"The Law was added so that the trespass might increase" The trespass or offense is the sin of Jesus' crucifixion. You need to consider that the law was modified by Jesus crucifixion. "For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change (an addition) also of the law."

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
[/list]That questions is really mute because it is none of the above. It is neither in effect nor has it been done away. The question should be what was the reason why God gave the laws to Israel? Israel as a Nation like all Nations were not only carnal but they also did not have God's Spirit. So with that, what would be the best way for God to get them to understand what He is like if not by a set of laws?
When one has the Holy Spirit living in him or her you don't need a set of laws to tell you what is right or wrong......the Holy Spirit will guide you to discern the different between good and evil, and the will and desire to do what is good. Its it the reason why Jesus gave a new commandment, which is love. God is love, and Jesus said that the Father and He will come and live in His people, via the Holy Spirit. So once you have Holy Spirit you have all that you need. It is the same thing as this prophecy. Jeremiah 31:31-34 (ASV)
[sup]31 [/sup]Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
[sup]32 [/sup]not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith Jehovah.
[sup]33 [/sup]But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith Jehovah: I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people:
[sup]34 [/sup]and they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know Jehovah; for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith Jehovah: for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin will I remember no more.

As Christians, we are living that New Covenant.......God's laws have been written in our mind......the Holy Spirit is living in us.The Nature of God has been imparted to us, so therefore we don't need the Ten Commandments to guide us. It is the same way that a healthy and able body person does not need crutches to get around......the laws of God are crutches for the unconverted mind to help them get around.

No, it's not a mute subject, because the only portions of God's laws that our Lord Jesus nailed to His cross were the commandments in 'ordinances'.

Col 2:13-14
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath He quickened together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances (dogma) that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to His cross;
(KJV)

Eph 2:14-15
14 For He is our peace, Who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in His flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances (dogma); for to make in Himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
(KJV)

Col 2:20-23
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances (dogmatizo),
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
(KJV)

That's about the religious ceremonial portions of God's law that applied specifically to the Old Covenant worship. Many of the commandments of men the Pharisees were ruling over the people with was about those ordinances. When Christ's disciples ate without washing their hands, our Lord Jesus was asked by the Pharisees why they didn't obey the traditions of the elders (Mark 7).

Those ordinances included the sacrificial blood ordinances of animal sacrifice, offerings, various washings, priestly ritual, etc. It did not do away with God's laws against murder, fornication, rape, thefts, perjury, etc., things that Apostle Paul mentioned in 1 Timothy 1 and Galatians 5 which represent walking by the flesh instead of by The Spirit. It also included not having to hold to the old feast days and literal rituals like passover. Nor did that do away with God's Ten Commandments.

Nor did it do away with God's laws about clean vs. unclean foods. But it do away with us having to always abide by that clean list of foods.

So, if a Christian or non-Christian steals a car, just what are they under? Just man's justice system of laws?

No, but under God's law against stealing. Just so happens that many of God's laws are still... in place today among the Christian nations, and have been ever since the Christian nations began accepting The Gospel of Jesus Christ on national scales. Like Paul said in Galatians and Romans, walk by The Spirit and we won't be under the law.

Doesn't anyone realize in many areas in the U.S. you cannot buy liquor on Sundays, and many stores don't open up until after Sunday Church service? Used to be where I'm from only a very few stores were open on Sundays in the town where I was born. What is that from? It's about the majority of the people in Christ Jesus still recognizing God's commandment about a sabbath rest day. Those are called 'blue laws'. And there used to be a whole lot more of them in existence all over the U.S. in my parent's generation.

My whole point is that God's people must have a law, for that is what governs society. So what do you want, to be governed by unjust laws of pagan and atheist peoples who refuse to even believe on our Heavenly Father and His Son? Try to remove God's law from our Christian society and that's exactly what we default to, man's laws which cannot compare to the righteousness of God's laws. And that's not about sacrificial ordinances and religious ritual of the Old Covenant worship. It's about the existence of order and structure to bring peace for God's people.

This is why Satan's servants are out to remove God's laws from among us. And if you haven't yet noticed, the replacement with man's laws is TAKING AWAY the peace!!

Note the part in bold below...

Heb 8:8-13
8 For finding fault with them, He saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in My covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put My laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to Me a people:
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, "Know the Lord": for all shall know Me, from the least to the greatest.
12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
13 In that He saith, A new covenant, He hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
(KJV)

That very fact that God promised to write His laws in the hearts and minds of His people per The New Covenant should... actually be enough to realize that not all of His laws were done away with by Christ's Blood shed on the cross.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
No, it's not a mute subject, because the only portions of God's laws that our Lord Jesus nailed to His cross were the commandments in 'ordinances'.

Col 2:13-14
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath He quickened together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances (dogma) that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to His cross;
(KJV)

Eph 2:14-15
14 For He is our peace, Who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in His flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances (dogma); for to make in Himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
(KJV)

Col 2:20-23
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances (dogmatizo),
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.
(KJV)

That's about the religious ceremonial portions of God's law that applied specifically to the Old Covenant worship. Many of the commandments of men the Pharisees were ruling over the people with was about those ordinances. When Christ's disciples ate without washing their hands, our Lord Jesus was asked by the Pharisees why they didn't obey the traditions of the elders (Mark 7).

Those ordinances included the sacrificial blood ordinances of animal sacrifice, offerings, various washings, priestly ritual, etc. It did not do away with God's laws against murder, fornication, rape, thefts, perjury, etc., things that Apostle Paul mentioned in 1 Timothy 1 and Galatians 5 which represent walking by the flesh instead of by The Spirit. It also included not having to hold to the old feast days and literal rituals like passover. Nor did that do away with God's Ten Commandments.

Nor did it do away with God's laws about clean vs. unclean foods. But it do away with us having to always abide by that clean list of foods.

So, if a Christian or non-Christian steals a car, just what are they under? Just man's justice system of laws?

No, but under God's law against stealing. Just so happens that many of God's laws are still... in place today among the Christian nations, and have been ever since the Christian nations began accepting The Gospel of Jesus Christ on national scales. Like Paul said in Galatians and Romans, walk by The Spirit and we won't be under the law.

Doesn't anyone realize in many areas in the U.S. you cannot buy liquor on Sundays, and many stores don't open up until after Sunday Church service? Used to be where I'm from only a very few stores were open on Sundays in the town where I was born. What is that from? It's about the majority of the people in Christ Jesus still recognizing God's commandment about a sabbath rest day. Those are called 'blue laws'. And there used to be a whole lot more of them in existence all over the U.S. in my parent's generation.

My whole point is that God's people must have a law, for that is what governs society. So what do you want, to be governed by unjust laws of pagan and atheist peoples who refuse to even believe on our Heavenly Father and His Son? Try to remove God's law from our Christian society and that's exactly what we default to, man's laws which cannot compare to the righteousness of God's laws. And that's not about sacrificial ordinances and religious ritual of the Old Covenant worship. It's about the existence of order and structure to bring peace for God's people.

This is why Satan's servants are out to remove God's laws from among us. And if you haven't yet noticed, the replacement with man's laws is TAKING AWAY the peace!!

Note the part in bold below...

Heb 8:8-13
8 For finding fault with them, He saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in My covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put My laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to Me a people:
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, "Know the Lord": for all shall know Me, from the least to the greatest.
12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
13 In that He saith, A new covenant, He hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
(KJV)

That very fact that God promised to write His laws in the hearts and minds of His people per The New Covenant should... actually be enough to realize that not all of His laws were done away with by Christ's Blood shed on the cross.

Do you need the Ten Commandments to tell you what is right from wrong? Before God gave the those commandments to Israel how were people like Able, Noah, and others knew the difference between what is right from what is wrong?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Do you need the Ten Commandments to tell you what is right from wrong? Before God gave the those commandments to Israel how were people like Able, Noah, and others knew the difference between what is right from what is wrong?
9 of the 10 are in the NT and MUST be obeyed.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

Haven't you ever wondered how Abel knew the proper sacrifice that would please God in that time? How did Abel know?

After once having gone through study of all the Old Testament Books, and then looking back to the man Adam and his offspring, it becomes clear that God had shown them many of His laws in the beginning, including how He required to be worshipped in that time, even before the giving of the Old Covenant through Moses.

You know what's even MORE amazing about that time prior to the flood of Noah's days?

Per the Book of Jude, his quoting Enoch with, "Behold, the Lord coming with ten thousands of His saints, to execute judgment upon all,...", how in the world did Enoch know about Christ's future second coming, for that's what Enoch was talking about? Enoch was only the 7th from the man Adam, born prior to Noah.

I think it becomes eventually apparent that God did a much greater amount of direct communication with His servants in that time than we give Him credit for. It's because we see many of His laws already given to them in that time, long before the days of Moses. And those laws given involved portions of His ten commandments too.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Apostle Paul well summed our need to study all of God's Word...

1 Cor 10:1-12
1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
7 Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.
9 Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
10 Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
(KJV)

Let him that thinketh he standeth take HEED lest he fall. What's the old saying about those who disregard history, that those who do are destined to repeat it?

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Haven't you ever wondered how Abel knew the proper sacrifice that would please God in that time? How did Abel know?

After once having gone through study of all the Old Testament Books, and then looking back to the man Adam and his offspring, it becomes clear that God had shown them many of His laws in the beginning, including how He required to be worshipped in that time, even before the giving of the Old Covenant through Moses.

You know what's even MORE amazing about that time prior to the flood of Noah's days?

Per the Book of Jude, his quoting Enoch with, "Behold, the Lord coming with ten thousands of His saints, to execute judgment upon all,...", how in the world did Enoch know about Christ's future second coming, for that's what Enoch was talking about? Enoch was only the 7th from the man Adam, born prior to Noah.

I think it becomes eventually apparent that God did a much greater amount of direct communication with His servants in that time than we give Him credit for. It's because we see many of His laws already given to them in that time, long before the days of Moses. And those laws given involved portions of His ten commandments too.

Why do you assume that God must have told him? Could it not simply be that the fact that he was righteous in God's eyes and was filled with God's Spirit, he was moved to know that what he did was the right thing. God does not and never intended to make us automations where He has to tell us every thing......that is why He gave us a mind like His.

Here I am and there you are. Ask.

Read post #108.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Then why did you respond to it since I did not ask you those questions?
I guess I wasn't aware that questions are ONLY for certain people. Or perhaps you don't like my answers?

Which reminds me Buzz, are you saying we don't have to obey the NT?