What are we supposed to do?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Shalom,

I am a new member, also new to Christianity. :)

I take it that our real home is heaven, but since we're here on earth, what are we supposed to do? Just wait till our journey is over?

Thanks,
Elysian

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Shalom Elysian! Greetings in the Lord and welcome to the site!

My answer would be this: As Christians, we are to come together with the brethren who have the same love for each other and for the Lord. We are to seek both individually and on our own to be like he is, and to know him. :)

We are here to go through trials, to be shaped and perfected by our Master, that we might be holy as he is holy and ready to see him face to face!

Blessings,

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome!

One of the first things I would say is from Matthew 11:29:

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

You will find many rules in the Old Testament, but this is one of the most important principles of the New Testament. Learn of Him (Jesus Christ). Spend time reading the Bible and studying it. "Taking his yoke" is a difficult thing to comprehend. But it comes down to the second thing I would say you have to do (from Matthew 22:37):

Love the Lord with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

This actually should be first on the list because Jesus called it the first and great commandment. However, it is also further explained in John 6:29:

This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

So taking the yoke of Jesus is about loving the Lord and believing on him. It's also trusting that all things will work for your good, even if you don't see it that way if you follow his plan. Even the things that aren't working for your good really are. Perhaps they are there to get you on his plan!

The next thing I would say is from Matthew 22:39:

And the second is like unto it, love thy neighbor as thyself.

These are the first three steps after repenting of being a sinner, admitting that you need Jesus and asking him to be in charge. Love the Lord, learn of him, and love your brethren in Christ. I know it says neighbor, and it is correct, but you will learn that "neighbor" means those that are next to you in Christ.

There are other things like you can't forsake the assembly, and you have to be a giver. However, those three are a good place to start. Studying the Bible and what Jesus and his apostles said will teach you how to find a Church, how to be a giver and anything else I might have missed.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
HI elysian!

Welcome to CB!
purplewelcome1.gif

I take it that our real home is heaven, but since we're here on earth, what are we supposed to do? Just wait till our journey is over?
Christianity for a new believer is all about the journey sweetie. The bible becomes our road map and the Holy Spirit our compass. As we walk through this life, we become more like him in our thoughts and actions according to his word. He has also left each one of us "good works" to do in this life, according to his will and plan for our lives.
Ephesians 2:10
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Enjoy this period of grace, which is upon your life dear one...

Blessings! ^_^

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Thanks, everyone, for the replies (and the welcome). :)

But I am wondering how there can be a plan, since everything in this world appears so random and chaotic. Also what could be God's plan for a Christian who's caught in a dead-end job - I can understand a musician writing songs for the glory of God, or a poet doing the same, but what of the rest of us stuck in monotonous work?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Your mission field is out there in the world. If you are in a dead-end job, then use this opportunity as a steeping stone towards his overall plan in your life. Live and act the way God would have you to, in that environment. Pray for an opportunity to be able to share your faith with others and wait...You need to wait on the Lord for direction and he will open other doors for you according to his will...Listen and obey... :)

Blessings!!!

Reactions: Angelina

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA

But I am wondering how there can be a plan, since everything in this world appears so random and chaotic. Also what could be God's plan for a Christian who's caught in a dead-end job - I can understand a musician writing songs for the glory of God, or a poet doing the same, but what of the rest of us stuck in monotonous work?

It's not so much the type of job we have that matters. Apostle Paul was a tent maker by trade, and he refused to take money for his service in The Gospel from the other brethren. When he was in need, he no doubt did some tent work, or whatever work needed among the brethren (Acts 18).

I wasn't baptized in Jesus until I turned 40, and God blessed me with many gifts beforehand. I had a chance to play guitar professionally; I had university art instructors after me to study oil painting to become a professional artist; but I stuck with a field the military chose for me which I don't like anywhere as much as the others, that of an aircraft mechanic. Regardless of what field we are in, it's about being Christ's ambassadors, wherever we are. It's often that He places us where He wants us, and it may not always be where we want to be.

Reactions: Angelina

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Welcome, As for what we are supposed to do love your brothers,

Give all of your life to God big or small, pray all the time, maybe drink some jesus juice and discuss a little politics.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc

Also, it's good to learn to do all things as unto the Lord.

I have the same kind of 'dead-end' job. It really accomplishes nothing other than feeding the worlds cycle... But if we take it as the Lord's training, even this can do his work in us! :)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom,

Thanks,
Elysian

Love with wild abandonment!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Shalom,

Thanks,
Elysian
The NT will guide you into God's Kingdom. Satan will send his to convince you otherwise.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom,

Thanks,
Elysian
Shalom,
Do God's will. The glory is in Jesus Christ, Yeshua Messiah, and for us to Christ is glory. Be the Righteousness of God. To journey here is to live in righteousness, to return to the Father is the prize.