What are Your Feelings on Tithes

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 3:16-17 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: [17] Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

“There were storehouses within the temple“ Tear down(destroy) this temple and I will raise up (build)another...
He doesn't dwell in temples made with hands.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have a word that you want to speak concerning this, say on.

‘Whole’

John 4:23-24 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. [24] God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Philippians 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing is not Christian

1). There is not a single command in all the New Testament that says that Christians are to tithe.

2). Look into every Systematic Theology you can find.... and tell me, how many of them say that Tithing is part of the New Covenant.

3). If Tithing is a perpetual obligation; so is the application of what the Scriptures say the Tithe must be used for!

So, if you are not placing it into the Jewish Temple Storehouse... you are NOT tithing!

4). If you do not use the Tithe to buy wine and strong drink; you are not tithing! (Deut. 14:26).

5). There are only two things the money can be used for... to support the Jewish Priesthood (Not the Church or Christian pastors!) And for the poor. If you use it for anything else, you are not tithing!

6). There is no mention if tithing in the practices of the Early Church. Why didn't Paul, 'a Hebrew of Hebrews' seize the opportunity when he plead for money, to institute the necessity of tithing? Because that was not God's plan for the Church!

7). Tithing in the Old Testament was not on someone's income. It is only applied to the increase in
farm and agriculture! If I donate 1 in 10 of my Tomatoes I get out of my garden this year to the Church... Woo-Hoo! I am paid up in full! I have no further obligation to give anything to the Church! I have done 'what I ought to' or am 'required to do' by the very command of Jesus! Now that you know the truth about tithing... look at how much more money you will have!

I have always had trouble finding where to dump my grass clipping! Now I will dump them at the Church! Imagine if I give them ALL! Surely I will receive a blessing if I tithe Biblically! If I give them 20%, surely a double-tithe will get me Double Blessings! I want to be blessed! I will give them ALL my increase in agriculture that I mow each week!
I love being uber-spiritual!o_O

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tithing is not Christian

1). There is not a single command in all the New Testament that says that Christians are to tithe.

2). Look into ever Systematic Theology you can find.... and tell me, how many of them say that Tithing is part of the New Covenant.

3). If Tithing is a perpetual obligation; so is the application of what the Scriptures say the Tithe must be used for!

So, if you are not placing it into the Jewish Temple Storehouse... you are NOT tithing!

4). If you do not use the Tithe to buy wine and strong drink; you are not tithing! (Deut. 14:26).

5). There are only two things the money can be used for... to support the Jewish Priesthood (Not the Church or Christian pastors!) And for the poor. If you use it for anything else, you are not tithing!

6). There is no mention if tithing in the practices of the Early Church. Why didn't Paul, 'a Hebrew of Hebrews' seize the opportunity when he plead for money, to institute the necessity of tithing? Because that was not God's plan for the Church!

7). Tithing in the Old Testament was not on someone's income. It is only applied to the increase in
farm and agriculture! If I donate 1 in 10 of my Tomatoes I get out of my garden this year to the Church... I am paid up in full! I have no further obligation to give anything to the Church! I have done 'what I ought to' or am 'required to do' by the very command of Jesus! Now that you know the truth about tithing... look at how much more money you will have!
I'd caution, if you do tithe you are required to fulfill the whole mosaic law.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The temple that He spake of was His body, John 2:21.

It indicates that He rose bodily from the dead.

What temple did they insist He meant though? Theirs with their storehouse and here we speak of the same church building sitting on hefty bank accounts for the maintaining of the building while neglecting the body (members) of Christ

built up a Spiritual house ...
Couldn’t find your post but you said something concerning knowing how to be abased and to abound (financially).

Abased and to abound...
John 3:30-32 He must increase, but I must decrease. [31] He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all. [32] And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.

Hebrews 7:7-8 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better. [8] And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

the less is blessed of the better:
Hebrews 10:34-35 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. [35] Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

Ezra 7:20 And whatsoever more shall be needful for the house of thy God, which thou shalt have occasion to bestow, bestow it out of the king's treasure house.

Luke 10:42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What temple did they insist He meant though? Theirs with their storehouse and here we speak of the same church building sitting on hefty bank accounts for the maintaining of the building while neglecting the body (members) of Christ

built up a Spiritual house ...
Couldn’t find your post but you said something concerning knowing how to be abased and to abound (financially).

Abased and to abound...
John 3:30-32 He must increase, but I must decrease. [31] He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all. [32] And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.

Hebrews 7:7-8 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better. [8] And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

the less is blessed of the better:
Hebrews 10:34-35 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. [35] Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

Ezra 7:20 And whatsoever more shall be needful for the house of thy God, which thou shalt have occasion to bestow, bestow it out of the king's treasure house.

Luke 10:42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
Those supporting a levitical system of works are bringing into bondage.
All the while saying, if you do this you'll receive worldly riches. Yet Christ says come out of her.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd caution, if you do tithe you are required to fulfill the whole mosaic law.

Rats! Just when I finally got a direct word from God on where to put my grass clippings! :confused:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. The same temple.

So which ‘temple’ are you speaking of then because my head is spinning. He meant His body when it benefits us in the resurrection of the dead. But then discussing storehouses and tithes and increase and money with men’s faces on it... then another temple it means. out of the abundance of your heart give John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Where the Spirit is there is Life.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He doesn't dwell in temples made with hands.

Hebrews 9:11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;

Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew it was time to leave a certain church when the preacher said before the offering... "It is time to take the tithes and offerings. Listen to what I just said! 'Tithes... AND Offerings!' The Tithe is what you HAVE TO GIVE... and the OFFERINGS are what you should give over and above the Tithe!"

After I heard that, I put the money I had prepared to give back into my pocket and passed the plate. I wasn't about to give them any money so that someone might accuse me of trying to buy my salvation!
------

When I moved to a new area, my wife and I tried out a few Churches to decide where God wanted us to be. We found one that we really liked and went there for a about a month. But things abruptly changed when the Pastor called the ushers up to the front, he opened his mouth and said... "Do you love God, or do you love money? How generously we give to God proves to Him how much we love Him! Do you love God? The show God by how much money you give today! And... if you don't love God, don't put any money into the plate!"

This was obviously not Spirit-led, and was mere guilt manipulation to control the simple-minded and gullible! The usher turned red with embarrassment when I handed him the plate with nothing in it, and looked him in the eye! That was the last time we went back there!

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luke 3:16-17
You generally manage to pull Scriptures out of context, just because the same words happen to be there. This passage has nothing to do with the subject.

It was a huge mistake for churches to promote tithing, when Christian giving is shown to be considerably more generous in the NT. But storehouses have nothing to do with this.

Last edited: