What books are you currently reading?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading Book 6 of Lactantius’ The Divine Institutes -> Of True Worship

I wonder if Constantine ever read this series. (And other writings of Lactantius.)

”[Lactantius] was appointed tutor in Latin to the emperor’s son Crispus.”

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading Book 7, the final volume, of Lactantius’ The Divine Institutes -> Of a Happy Life.

An observation from the reading of Book 6: few Christins living in the 21st century live as Lactantius admonishes Christians to live.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading Killing the Witches: The Horror of Salem, Massachusetts, written by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m currently reading God and Evil: A Jewish Perspective, written by David Birnbaum.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m currently reading Killing the Witches: The Horror of Salem, Massachusetts, written by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard.

The never-ending list of Kill Me books from Bill O'Reilly..... he's become a veritable Hal Lindsey of storybooks. I'll leave this one behind.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Do you sift through Bargain Bins at bookstores? A serious question.

A serious answer: Books in general, and theology books in particular, are expensive. I’m a serial bargain bin binger. How about you?

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A serious answer: Books in general, and theology books in particular, are expensive. I’m a serial bargain bin binger. How about you?

I love book stores. Right up there with Home Depot. We travel about the country, whatever country we might be in, and my wife visits quilt shops. The best ones have a coffee shop and a bookstore nearby.

• Love
Reactions: Matthias

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have started reading the Gospel according to Matthew.
Your signature:
"I want to understand the Holy Bible. Please, help me. Thank you very much."

Precious friend, you are off to a good start. Just let us know any questions you may have
while reading God's Precious Word Of Truth.

You will probably receive a "lot of help" since there a Many here that will try and answer them.
So don't remain "a shy girl". [ I certainly know what that was like, when I was your age ;) ]

God Has For all mankind:

Grace, Peace, Mercy, and Love!

• Love
Reactions: A shy girl Chloë

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
God and Evil is a book well worth reading, and re-reading. Why a good God allows unspeakable evil is a complicated issue. It should be wrestled with; though it is wearying, it is rewarding.

I think the author made some excellent points, yet I still find myself leaning (though not as hard) toward the classic theodicy -> “finite man cannot be expected to understand the ways of infinite God”. That feels more like an “opt out of thinking” response to me now that it did before.

That was heavy (I can’t emphasize that enough) reading, prompting change, even if that change should prove to be slight.

In need of something lighter to read for now (while continuing to digest theodicy), I’m currently reading The Moose That Roared: The Story of Jay Ward, Bill Scott, a Flying Squirrel, and a Talking Moose, written by Keith Scott.