What Changed?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thank you Stranger,
Yes, they all did forsake Him. Funny how the Holy Spirit made them so bold afterwards. They were running like scared little girls, then their boldly preaching the Gospel!
God Bless!
Just goes to show after Pentecost how essential the indwelling of the Holy Spirit has been.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It shows we should not take quick forms of repentance for granted, and count them off as nothing. Like some tend to do..

God works in ways we do not understand.. To him goes the glory

Amen. We Christians seem to take Him for granted all the time :oops: ... NOT speaking of all Christians but, some, some of the time do take His blessings for granted.
And yes, "To him goes the glory" Amen!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, he sure did...I see John as Jesus's best friend, ha...after all, John was the "one that Jesus loved". He was loyal to the bitter end.
It could be said that for John, his experience was: 'the things of earth will grow strangely dim / In the light of His glory and grace'.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither have I Pearl, it was mentioned during Sunday services (online) and, I never remembered that part! We're doing a series on the attributes of God and I'm really loving it. Wanted to ask him about it but...too big a Church :( so, thought I would ask on here what you all thought? It just seems like an awfully quick repentance! Something had to make him change his heart and mind. Thanks for the reply!
xo
To die well while on a torture device would no doubt be a rare thing to witness. Perhaps this thief was amazed at Jesus' demeanor during the hours of suffering and realized this was no ordinary criminal.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To die well while on a torture device would no doubt be a rare thing to witness. Perhaps this thief was amazed at Jesus' demeanor during the hours of suffering and realized this was no ordinary criminal.
What?

Did you never read Foxes Book of Martyrs (well known),

nor see Corrie ten Booms Testimony of millions slaughtered for their faith in our lifetimes/ our parents life times ?

"Tortured for Christ", Nora Lam "China Cry", testimonies from all over the world 'recently' !

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, he sure did...I see John as Jesus's best friend, ha...after all, John was the "one that Jesus loved". He was loyal to the bitter end.
And John was the only disciple who was not executed. According to Jerome's history of the saints, John lived to be 120 years of age.

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nancy, you may want to double check your OP...
“Even the robbers..."
"
One of the criminals..."

Are Robbers and Criminals the same thing?

Or...

Could they be completely different people altogether?

Thinkaboudit.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And John was the only disciple who was not executed. According to Jerome's history of the saints, John lived to be 120 years of age.

Can't tell me Jesus didn't have favorites, ha! I even hear parents say to me that they agree they also have a fave or are closer to, one child over another. I have 3 dogs..I love them all and take care of them just the same bit yet, there is that one.... :)

Reactions: Stan B

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What?

Did you never read Foxes Book of Martyrs (well known),

nor see Corrie ten Booms Testimony of millions slaughtered for their faith in our lifetimes/ our parents life times ?

"Tortured for Christ", Nora Lam "China Cry", testimonies from all over the world 'recently' !
Um, yes, what does this have to do with the topic? We aren't talking about Christian persecution here.

Reactions: DNB

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This thief was no dummy. He was actually quite astute theologically. No doubt he had seen and heard Jesus somewhere along the way, but had never repented. He was fully aware that Jesus was innocent, and had been crucified because of the hatred and malice of the Jewish religious leaders and the rabid mob.

But he also noted the inscription above Christ while on the cross, declaring Him to be King of the Jews. And then he noted both the grace and majesty of Christ, who did not murmur or complain, but hung there with dignity, and forgave His enemies. He may have overheard the instructions that Jesus gave to John regarding His mother.

Therefore he came to the realization that Jesus was truly the Messiah and the King of the Jews, and he rebuked the other malefactor for reviling Christ. Finally he called Him "Lord" and confirmed that he believed in Christ's future Kingdom on earth (unlike many Christians today). Therefore he asked to be remembered in that Kingdom.
Although, due to the lack of evidence, I question entirely your predication that the malefactor was astute theologically, but rather, possibly astute spiritually. That is, like you pointed out, there was enough evidence within the immediate context of the crucifixion, that anyone with a predisposition to wisdom, might have recognized the injustice of the charge. For example, the vehemence of the mob in contrast to Christ's grace and dignity, ...and the other points that you mentioned. For even Pilate perceived the deception on the Jews part, and the Roman soldier at the cross concluded that Christ was the Messiah.

I may hypothesis that the two criminals were present at Christ's trial, as they awaited their previously sentenced fate. And thus, witnessed the farcical and ungrounded charges at the proceedings? Assuming that during a crucifixion, all those condemned are gathered together at a certain point, somewhere between the judgement courts and the place of crucifixion. Again, mere speculation, because it may not really explain the sudden turn-around from the mocking to the praising from the thieves, when both dispositions took place while exclusively on the cross?

Either way Enoch111, your brought up some very perceptive points, and I personally think that they are the most viable of what I've read so far on the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Renniks

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes. And that is a lesson all it's own. We like to say we love the Lord. But who was it that went back to be with Christ at the Cross? The one who knew Jesus loved him.

Stranger

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They seem interchangeable to me...a thief IS a robber yes? lol
May I present to this discussion that 'no', they are not interchangeable. It's a bold idea for sure.

I'm waiting to see if anyone else knows where I'm going with this and if they have any input.

If not, I will post more details when I have some free time.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh boy, more false teaching from someone who was re-incarnated , they think, from something else !

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To die well while on a torture device would no doubt be a rare thing to witness.
Did you say it would be a rare thing to witness or not?

If so, then why would it be rare ? Only because someone was not observant of things the last 2000 years or more..... of frequent martyrdom, of millions perhaps, of Ekklesia, dying faithful and true - no fear, no doubt, their faces even sometimes radiant, like Stephans, in Acts.... their hope and joy and all their care having been previously placed in the Father's Hands - His Plan, His Purpose, His DELIGHT IN THEM! (His Choice)

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
May I present to this discussion that 'no', they are not interchangeable. It's a bold idea for sure.

I'm waiting to see if anyone else knows where I'm going with this and if they have any input.

If not, I will post more details when I have some free time.
I originally heard that there were actually 4 malefactors at the crucifixion, besides Christ. I do believe that there are paintings depicting this also.
Therefore, I assume that you are hypothesizing that there were two robbers, plus two other law-breakers, that were crucified with Christ, totaling 4 criminals. And that, the thieves and 1 criminal mocked Jesus, while one of the other non-thief, believed in him?
It could be argued, because the Gospels do differentiate as far as denoting the crimes are concerned, ...and of course, the contradictory remarks.
Not sure where I stand definitively on this, probably more so to a total of just 2 malefactors?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Base12

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
BTW @Nancy , I absolutely loved your previous avatar, you looked absolutely gorgeous (you know what I mean)!

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I originally heard that there were actually 4 malefactors at the crucifixion, besides Christ. I do believe that there are paintings depicting this also.
Therefore, I assume that you are hypothesizing that there were two robbers, plus two other law-breakers, that were crucified with Christ, totaling 4 criminals. And that, the thieves and 1 criminal mocked Jesus, while one of the other non-thief, believed in him?
It could be argued, because the Gospels do differentiate as far as denoting the crimes are concerned, ...and of course, the contradictory remarks.
Not sure where I stand definitively on this, probably more so to a total of just 2 malefactors?
That's exactly what I was referring to. I'll be back tomorrow to discuss.

:cool:

Reactions: Nancy and DNB