What Day Is The Sabbath ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ummmm.....You do know that The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine is NOT the Catechism of The Church?

Sooooo would you like to try again?
Ummm... You do know that the convert's catechism is a tool for educating new Catholic converts by Catholic priests who presumably are teaching Catholic truth?

Soooo...

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
1 John 2:27 But you have received the Holy Spirit, and he lives within you, so you don’t need anyone to teach you what is true. For the Spirit teaches you everything you need to know, and what he teaches is true—it is not a lie. So just as he has taught you, remain in fellowship with Christ. 28 And now, dear children, remain in fellowship with Christ so that when he returns, you will be full of courage and not shrink back from him in shame. 29 Since we know that Christ is righteous, we also know that all who do what is right are God’s children.

If the Holy Spirit teaches us anything in this Scripture,

it is that there is no difference or contradiction

between what the Holy Spirit teaches and what Jesus Christ teaches us.

Some love to ignore it that the Holy Spirit teaches us this,

and that the Holy Spirit teaches us this from within the Scriptures,

so that, be anything not the teaching

of Jesus Christ and

of the Holy Spirit and

of the Scriptures,

it must be a fatal fallacy taught us

so that we will not know

the Righteousness that is Christ’s righteousness

(to Jesus' standards, virtue and merit),

nor will we know what is right

(according to the Scriptures),

nor will we know that we are God’s children

(the work of His Holy Spirit).

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Except Sunday isn't the day God sanctified and made holy. Sabbath is a relational appointment. Not that we don't meet with God at any other time, but the Sabbath is special... Unique. A day God set aside specifically to spend with His people. And God doesn't change, and He hasn't changed His day.

Is this how you understand that God made the Seventh Day Sabbath his Holy Day to be worshipped on by his People?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is this how you understand that God made the Seventh Day Sabbath his Holy Day to be worshipped on by his People?
Grounded on Genesis 2:1-3 , Adam and Eve would have enjoyed wandering through the garden with Jesus on that first Sabbath. Having Him eplain who they were, where they were, who made them, and why. Setting a precedent for Sabbath observance since. A memorial of creation, reminding us that we take no glory for what God alone accomplished. A celebration of grace. The same when we read Deuteronomy and how the Sabbath is linked to Israel's deliverance from bondage in Egypt. Salvation accomplished by the shredding of the Lamb, again, something accomplished without our input...a work of grace. Yes, I believe that first Sabbath was established as a relational exercise, a rest for man and s time of refreshment in the presence of God.

Malihah

May 20, 2020
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Typical Galatianism that rejects the new covenant to perfect self-righteousness under the old covenant. Save me holy sabbath day, save me.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummm... You do know that the convert's catechism is a tool for educating new Catholic converts by Catholic priests who presumably are teaching Catholic truth?

Soooo...
Soooooo it looks like we are in agreement. It is NOT the Catechism since you admit it 'a tool for educating new Catholic converts'.

Finally we agree on something!!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not and have never said I am a self-taught theologian. I have been blessed to sit under the tutorship of many fine men, have read books written by many fine men, and have been given the ability to sort out the good from the bad by the Spirit of God as he said he would in scripture.

I can't help it if I am not a slave to catholic theology and prefer to give it a miss so that I do not have to give up all the good things that I have learnt and experienced.
You are the man in the cave?

plato : the allegory of the cave - Bing video

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Paul did say we are not under the Law,

True. More - far more, far greater, Paul says, CHRIST WAS BORN UNDER THE LAW. And when did Christ come out from being under the LAW? In his Grave under the Law. IN DEATH UNDER LAW the Law WRITTEN above his Head, ENGRAVED into his cross: "THIS IS JESUS KING OF THE JEWS" by Law of God.
" 18And Moses reared up the tabernacle, and fastened his sockets, and set up the boards thereof, and put in the bars thereof, and reared up his pillars. 19And he spread abroad the tent over the tabernacle, and put the covering of the tent above upon it; as the LORD commanded Moses. 20And he took and put the testimony into the ark, and set the staves on the ark, and put the mercy seat above upon the ark: 21And he brought the ark into the tabernacle, and set up the vail of the covering, and covered the ark of the testimony; as the LORD commanded Moses....
....34Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. 35And Moses was not able to enter into the tent of the congregation, because the cloud abode thereon, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle."

If you are in Christ you are "under the Law for as long as you shall live" IN CHRIST.

Last edited:

Malihah

May 20, 2020
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being 'under the law' is the true picture of the unconverted sinner. They try to make law-keeping into something noble and righteous but in reality it is a form of self-worship. They worship themselves, what they do, what they say, it's all about them. The law is not some holy standard to them but a tool to manipulate others and beat them over the head with endless condemnation.

Reactions: mjrhealth

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Typical Galatianism that rejects the new covenant to perfect self-righteousness under the old covenant. Save me holy sabbath day, save me.

You won't understand how or why, but I actually agree with you about
Grounded on Genesis 2:1-3 , Adam and Eve would have enjoyed wandering through the garden with Jesus on that first Sabbath. Having Him eplain who they were, where they were, who made them, and why. Setting a precedent for Sabbath observance since. A memorial of creation, reminding us that we take no glory for what God alone accomplished. A celebration of grace. The same when we read Deuteronomy and how the Sabbath is linked to Israel's deliverance from bondage in Egypt. Salvation accomplished by the shredding of the Lamb, again, something accomplished without our input...a work of grace. Yes, I believe that first Sabbath was established as a relational exercise, a rest for man and s time of refreshment in the presence of God.

Brakelite will understand-- must understand though. I know what to look for in his post, which you don't.

So don't feel too good about yourself that you have found one Sabbatharian who somehow agrees with you, a Roman Catholic. Although he is a bigger opponent of mine than you could wish to be Brakelite is still my buddy somehow while you are not.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Soooooo it looks like we are in agreement. It is NOT the Catechism since you admit it 'a tool for educating new Catholic converts'.

Finally we agree on something!!
Nice diversion. But what we were discussing is the fact that the Catholic Church was the institution responsible for changing the day of rest from the Sabbath to Sunday... As per the church's own admittance. The question I ask is this... Does any man have the authority to change God's laws? The apostles didn't. The Bible doesn't speak of any change. Yet here we are. 1500 years on, and Sabbath keepers, who are simply following the Bible, are the ones being taken to task for being "legalists"...*sigh*

Malihah

May 20, 2020
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice diversion. But what we were discussing is the fact that the Catholic Church was the institution responsible for changing the day of rest from the Sabbath to Sunday... As per the church's own admittance. The question I ask is this... Does any man have the authority to change God's laws? The apostles didn't. The Bible doesn't speak of any change. Yet here we are. 1500 years on, and Sabbath keepers, who are simply following the Bible, are the ones being taken to task for being "legalists"...*sigh*

You don't follow Galatians very well...*sigh*. In case you hadn't figured it out the early church was running as far and as fast as they could from Jewish legalism with their endless Sabbath regulations and endless food restrictions and endless quarrels over the defunct law. Sunday was readily accepted because there was nothing old covenant about it which made it so very much....Christian!

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone here obey the Sabbath commands?

Exodus 31:15 Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You don't follow Galatians very well...*sigh*. In case you hadn't figured it out the early church was running as far and as fast as they could from Jewish legalism with their endless Sabbath regulations and endless food restrictions and endless quarrels over the defunct law. Sunday was readily accepted because there was nothing old covenant about it which made it so very much....Christian!
Mmmmm. Now that's a take on history I've never heard. Interesting. Where did you get that from?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. More - far more, far greater, Paul says, CHRIST WAS BORN UNDER THE LAW. And when did Christ come out from being under the LAW? In his Grave under the Law. IN DEATH UNDER LAW the Law WRITTEN above his Head, ENGRAVED into his cross: "THIS IS JESUS KING OF THE JEWS" by Law of God.
" 18And Moses reared up the tabernacle, and fastened his sockets, and set up the boards thereof, and put in the bars thereof, and reared up his pillars. 19And he spread abroad the tent over the tabernacle, and put the covering of the tent above upon it; as the LORD commanded Moses. 20And he took and put the testimony into the ark, and set the staves on the ark, and put the mercy seat above upon the ark: 21And he brought the ark into the tabernacle, and set up the vail of the covering, and covered the ark of the testimony; as the LORD commanded Moses....
....34Then a cloud covered the tent of the congregation, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. 35And Moses was not able to enter into the tent of the congregation, because the cloud abode thereon, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle."

If you are in Christ you are "under the Law for as long as you shall live" IN CHRIST.
This complete and utter nonsense! Yes, Christ was under the law, obeyed the Law (except when he didn't), and I am really struggling to think of a Paul quote that says Christ was born under the law and so we are too. But I have many Paul quotes that say we are not under the law.

And the whole quotation of scripture from Exodus 40.... I fail to see the relevance. Maybe you see it as relevant, but I don't.

Now, here's an interesting thing: I do believe In keeping the Law. All of it! Even those verses about not wearing polyester and having a battlement in your house. I believe it is a sin to eat catfish, shrimp, corn, not to tithe and if you have scoliosis, you shouldn't be allowed in Church!

Yea... I have verses on all that! And I believe we must follow ALL of them!

BUT the difference is how to do it! In the flesh, I cannot. Maybe you can... I can only do so through Grace by faith. I can only rely on Jesus accounting my faith as righteousness. If you can actually do it without that, then wow! You are a better Christian then I am.

Golly gee! I can't even see a pretty girl without smiling!

Reactions: mjrhealth

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Sabbath commands in the NT! None! Sabbaths were ONLY for Israel.

Colossians 2:16
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

Amen Jesus, I won't!

Reactions: mailmandan