What did Paul Say was Nailed to the Pale (Cross)?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HARK!

May 17, 2020
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bro... the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God. It encumpasses the Godhead. The Kingdom of heaven is within you and is also a place.

Do you not believe that there is a distinction between the Father, the Son, and the Ruach Ha'Kodesh?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not just the law was nailed to the cross, but so were we...

Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God. For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death. But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code. (Rom 7:4-6)

For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose. (Gal 2:19-21)

Galatians 6:14 (KJV) But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Reactions: Helen

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:14 (CLV)

erasing the handwriting of the decrees against us, which was hostile to us, and has taken it away out of the midst, nailing it to the cross,

Lexicon :: Strong's G1378 - dogma
font_conBar_a.png

δόγμα
Transliteration
dogma
Pronunciation
do'g-mä (Key)

Part of Speech
neuter noun
Root Word (Etymology)
From the base of δοκέω (G1380)
Dictionary Aids
Vine's Expository Dictionary: View Entry

TDNT Reference: 2:230,178

KJV Translation Count — Total: 5x
The KJV translates Strong's G1378 in the following manner: decree (3x), ordinance (2x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. doctrine, decree, ordinance
    1. of public decrees

2. of the Roman Senate

3. of rulers
  2. the rules and requirements of the law of Moses; carrying a suggestion of severity and of threatened judgment

3. of certain decrees of the apostles relative to right living
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
δόγμα dógma, dog'-mah; from the base of G1380; a law (civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical):—decree, ordinance.
Thayer's Greek Lexicon [?] (Jump to Scripture Index)
STRONGS NT 1378: δόγμα
δόγμα, δογματος, τό (from δοκέω, and equivalent to τό δεδογμενον), an opinion, a judgment (Plato, others), doctrine, decree, ordinance;
1. of public decrees (as τῆς πόλεως, Plato, legg. 1, p. 644 d.; of the Roman Senate (Polybius 6, 13, 2); Herodian, 7, 10, 8 (5, Bekker edition)): of rulers, Luke 2:1; Acts 17:7; Hebrews 11:23 Lachmann (Theod. in Daniel 2:13; Daniel 3:10; Daniel 4:3; Daniel 6:13, etc. — where the Sept. uses other words).
2. of the rules and requirements of the law of Moses, 3Macc. 1:3; διατήρησις τῶν ἁγίων δογμάτων, Philo, alleg. legg. i., § 16; carrying a suggestion of severity, and of threatened punishment, τόν νόμον τῶν ἐντολῶν ἐν δογμασι, the law containing precepts in the form of decrees (A. V. the law of commandments contained in ordinances), Ephesians 2:15; τό καθ' ἡμῶν χειρόγραφον τοῖς δογμασι equivalent to τό τοῖς δογμασι (dative of instrument) by ὄν καθ' ἡμῶν, the bond against us by its decrees, Colossians 2:14; cf. Winers Grammar, § 31, 10 Note 1 (Buttmann, 92 (80); on both passages see Lightfoot on Colossians, the passage cited).
3. of certain decrees of the apostles relative to right living: Acts 16:4. (Of all the precepts of the Christian religion: βεβαιωθῆναι ἐν τοῖς δόγμασιν τοῦ κυρίου καί τῶν ἀποστόλων, Ignatius ad Magnes. 13, 1 [ET]; of the precepts (`sentences' or tenets) of philosophers, in the later secular writings: Cicero, acad. 2, 9, 27de suis decretis, quae philosophi vocant dogmata.) (On the use of the word in general, see Lightfoot as above; (cf. 'Teaching' etc. 11, 3 [ET]).)

Source: Genesis 1:1 (NASB)

Now why would Paul use the word δόγμα in this verse?

I believe that he meant what he said, and said what he meant.

Anytime Paul is referring to THE LAW of Yahweh he used the phrase ho nomos which is
“The Law” in Greek.

So if THE LAW wasn't nailed to the (stake) pale; what was?

DECREE - Definition from the KJV Dictionary
DECREE, n. L. To judge; to divide.
1. Judicial decision or determination of a litigated cause; as a decree of the court of
chancery. The decision of a court of equity is called a decree; that of a court of law, a
judgment.

This is the gift of YHWH's goodwill. Put into context, Paul is not contradicting Yahshua, who said that the LAW will not pass away before heaven or earth. He's not telling us that we can live like lawless Hellians under grace because the LAW has been demolished. He's telling us that the judgements (under penalty of death) of our past sins are taken away, through Yahshua, by the goodwill of Yahweh.
Congratulations.

You just provided evidence of what I am saying that folks unwittingly use a modern commentary to debunk the KJV.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would only point out that it is the spirit of the law that we are to be obedient to and that we are no longer bound by the letter of it (Romans 7:6, 2 Corinthians 3:6).

Nice and clearly said...AMEN!!!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would only point out that it is the spirit of the law that we are to be obedient to and that we are no longer bound by the letter of it (Romans 7:6, 2 Corinthians 3:6).

Nice and clearly said...AMEN!!!

Of course, this applies to the doctrine of entire sanctification; so that Galatians 6:13 is not in contradiction to a literal rendering of 1 John 3:9 (kjv).

It is to say that no one keeps the letter; but that sin, in all actuality, is defined by the spirit of the law for those who are in Christ.

HARK!

May 17, 2020
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Congratulations.

You just provided evidence of what I am saying that folks unwittingly use a modern commentary to debunk the KJV.

It was actually done quite deliberately. I've known for many years that the KJV was built on corrupted manuscripts.

Esteem to YHWH that his word is being restored.