What does "born again" mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn’t have a mind blowing experience - in fact it took me time to realise that The Holy Spirit had made his presence known in a very quiet way. I have doubted my faith in so many ways over the years because others have said their experience was so dramatic.
every one is different i didn't have bells or whistles going off. in fact i was in shock and ignorant what to say or do. i never shouted i never cried. i simply said that night GOD SAVE ME . its from the heart man believes with the mouth confession is made dont listen to man

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Walter-I have to confess I don't know what it means "to be led by the Spirit" 24/7.
Like now-Am I being led of the Spirit to respond to you-or is it "myself?"
Johann.
the spirit is a still small voice keep praying and seeking your probably led just not understanding

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That simply is not the case. As Ephesians clearly states: "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God—not the result of works, so that no one may boast." You are saved through faith. Not by any work, including baptism.

Romans 6:4, "Therefore we were buried with him by baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we also might walk in newness of life."

There is a world of difference between being symbolically buried and being saved by God.

If baptism saved anyone, why weren't all the people who came to John to be baptized in the Jordan saved?
You're not understanding the difference in John's baptism vs baptism into Christ and that there is a difference. John's baptism was identical to the baptism noted in Acts 2:38. John's Baptism was stated as the baptism of repentance for the remission of sin. This is in essence the same as Acts 2:38, EXCEPT, John's baptism wasn't being baptized into the body of Christ. Christ was still alive when John's baptism was being practiced, so, you couldn't be baptized into Christ or his death simulating his death, burial, and resurrection as discussed in Romans 6. When you're baptized into Christ, your sins are remitted, you receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and you become part of his body which is his church, and at that point, a Christian, one owned by the Lord since he purchased his church with his own blood. Note in Acts 19, the Ephesians were re-baptized into Christ because they had only been baptized unto John's baptism.

Last edited:

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We Are Saved By the Blood of the Messiah, Not Water Baptism

Various churches have numerous videos posted on YouTube which teach that we apply the blood of the Messiah to our sins by getting water baptized. This is false religion and a doctrine of demons. According to Hebrews 12:24 the precious blood of Yeshua (who is our resurrected High Priest -- Hebrews 4:15-16) was sprinkled upon the Mercy Seat in Heaven (Hebrews 9:12). The Messiah did this in the presence of God the Father on our behalf (Hebrews 9:24). It is the blood of Yeshua that washes our sins away, and not water. There is no instance in the Old Testament Temple ritual where water was ever sprinkled on the Mercy Seat!

Colossians 1:19-20: “For it pleased the Father that in him should all fullness dwell; And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.”

There is not one verse in the Bible which even remotely hints that water baptism is associated with the Messiah's shed blood. To teach otherwise is to corrupt the Word of YEHOVAH God.

In John chapter 3, where the Messiah is witnessing to Nicodemus, he plainly teaches that being “born of water” refers to the physical birth, and not to water baptism as some heretics falsely claim. John 3:6, “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the spirit is spirit.” The Messiah is contrasting the fleshly birth to the spiritual birth. This passage of Scripture has absolutely nothing to do with water baptism.

Titus 3:5 is often used by false prophets in a foolish attempt to teach water baptism for salvation:

Titus 3:5: “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the holy spirit.”

Being “born-again” means that, being like the Messiah, who is "the first-born of many brethren," we will eventually be "born again" at the resurrection. To be “regenerated” means to be born anew from above by the holy spirit of YEHOVAH God (John 1:13), quickened (or made alive) by YEHOVAH's spirit (Ephesians 2:1). The Bible plainly teaches in Titus 3:5 that we are not saved “by works of righteousness which WE HAVE DONE”!!! Being water baptized is something that WE DO, not that YEHOVAH God does!

The Bible says in John 1:12-13:

“But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”

What a beautiful Scripture. Here we clearly see that we of Israel are saved simply by BELIEVING ON THE MESSIAH'S NAME! Notice that we are not saved because of anything that we have done; but rather, because God in His mercy, love and grace has made a provision for our redemption by the sacrifice of His only begotten Son on the tree. Confession, water baptism, forsaking the world, ceasing from sinful living, committing one's life to the Messiah and surrendering our will to serve God are all futile actions of HUMAN EFFORT. As we just learned in John 1:12-13, salvation is completely of God. Our part as Israelites, whose names are in the Book of Life, is simply to believe, and then YEHOVAH God does all the saving!

Bible Proofs That Water Baptism is Not Necessary for Salvation

Consider that the Bible doesn't mention anyone in the Old Testament being baptized with water for salvation. It is a simple fact that YEHOVAH's Chosen People in the Old Testament -- Noah, Shem, Abraham, Joseph, Moses, David, and all the prophets, etc., -- were dead in their sins until the birth of the Messiah and his predicted sacrifice.

Genesis 15:6 teaches that Abram (later to be renamed Abraham) believed YEHOVAH God and it was counted to him for righteousness. Romans 4:3 mentions this event, i.e., Abraham's salvation. We are saved by the imputed righteousness of the Messiah, i.e., the Messiah's righteousness is attributed to our record in Heaven by faith (Romans 4:6). Abraham was saved by simple childlike faith in YEHOVAH God.

While John the Baptist baptized many Israelites in Judea while the Messiah was still alive and had not yet offered himself up, and if baptism was a requirement for salvation, were his efforts totally in vain since they were still "dead in their sins"?

The thief on the tree, who believed on the Messiah, wasn't water baptized. Unless you errantly believe in two different plans of salvation, then the only logical conclusion is that water baptism is NOT required for salvation.

Over and over the Bible tells us that we are saved BY FAITH alone (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5; Acts 10:43; John 1:12; Galatians 3:26; John 3:16-18). If water baptism were required for salvation, then certainly the Bible would stress its importance for salvation. In fact, the apostle Paul stated the opposite:

1 Corinthians 1:17: “For CHRIST SENT ME NOT TO BAPTIZE, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.”

Paul proclaimed that the Messiah DIDN'T send him to baptize. There you have it! Paul stated in Romans 10:1 that his heart's desire was for Israel to be saved, so Paul definitely would NOT have made such a statement in 1 Corinthians 1:17 if water baptism were necessary to be saved.

A Church of Christ minister once said that Paul's disciples did the baptizing instead. That is mincing words! It is abundantly clear from the apostle's Paul's statement in 1 Corinthians 1:17 that the Messiah didn't send him to baptize, because water baptism is not necessary to receive the gift of eternal life. What if I bought you a gift, but said that you need to take a bath first to receive it? Then it wouldn't be a gift!

John 3:16: “For God so loved the world [of Israel], that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

There's no mention of water baptism. The Bible is the most misinterpreted book in the world, because most people study it out of context and without the presence of its Author, YEHOVAH God.

Johann
Just for clarification for you, yes, it's Christ's blood, but where does one contact the saving blood of Christ? It's by being baptized into his body. Read Romans 6 carefully. We're baptized into his death and it's at his death that his blood was shed.

Also, you're not understanding he thief on the cross issue which I've written about here and elsewhere. Simply put, Jesus was alive, meaning he forgave the thief under the OT no different than he forgave the adulterous woman or anyone else he forgave while alive. Read Hebrews 9 wherein it discusses the need for the testator to be dead before the testament becomes in force. In other words, the NT did not take effect until Jesus died, further meaning the process of being baptized into Christ.

Also, you're not understanding why Paul said he came not to baptize. Paul was the orator, the great speaker and preacher. Paul sowed the seed. You must read 1 Cor a bit further wherein it's explained. In 1 Cor 3:16, Paul says he planted and Apollos WATERED.

5Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase

Last edited:
Reactions: thelord's_pearl

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Just for clarification for you, yes, it's Christ's blood, but where does one contact the saving look of Christ? It's y being baptized into his body. Read Romans 6 carefully. We're baptized into his death and it's at his death that his blood was shed.

Also, you're not understanding he thief on the cross issue which I've written about here and elsewhere. Simply put, Jesus was alive, meaning he forgave the thief under the OT no different than he forgave the adulterous woman or anyone else he forgave while alive. Read Hebrews 9 wherein it discusses the need for the testator to be dead before the testament becomes in force. In other words, the NT did not take effect until Jesus died, further meaning the process of being baptized into Christ.

Also, you're not understanding why Paul said he came not to baptize. Paul was the orator, the great speaker and preacher. Paul sowed the seed. You must read 1 Cor a bit further wherein it's explained. In 1 Cor 3:16, Paul says he planted and Apollos WATERED.

5Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase
Wow!
A LOT of things I don't "understand" yes?
J.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow!
A LOT of things I don't "understand" yes?
J.
Johann i dont care what anyone says about ya , You know i loves ya . Though i have not heard anyone say
anything bad about you . Well cept for maybe one person . The same person that follows me around .
But anyway i just came by to say , ITS LORD PRAISING TIME my friend .
Its one thirty nine where you are my friend . IF you are still awake , put those hands up
with praises and thanksgivings unto the glorious Lord . march on my friend . march on in the Lord .

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Most churches i went to never treated me bad at all . But phew wee the doctrine was rank .
I was a very new believer , and by the grace of GOD he had put me into that bible and i was learning .
Now i did not know why , at first , the doctrine was so empty and dead to me which i heard in the church .
Now the praise i always enjoyed . but the doctrine was so empty .
YET , yet , the truth in that bible was so edifying and wonderful and good and i joyed in it .
Now of course i went church to church .
I always went around talking to people in the church . Very few
ever seemed to really want to talk about GOD . most about football or something else .
That too was sad to me . but anyway
i kept visiting churches cause OF COURSE i desired to have good fellowship with others who loved the LORD .
In time , and it did not take long by grace and reading of that bible i began to understand
why the doctrine left me so empty .
I was also trying to watch TBN . But it just left me empty . I quickly abandonded it .
OF course later by the knowledge of GOD by His grace and continual reading of that bible
I learned why on earth the doctrine had left me so empty . THEMS WAS BONIFIED FALSE TEACHERS
teaching wordly stuff .
Now i continued to visit churches , always having hope .
After a few years and much learning i had began to talk to the actual leaders of those churches .
Asking questions and watching them TWIST DOCTRINE or left speechless and unable to answer
the SIMPLIEST of questions . SEE i didnt talk about pre mid , post trib or other stuff .
My focus was on the simple basics of JESUS OWN teachings . Grown men leading churches
knew nothing about the simplicty of some of what i was saying .
Now the harsh stuff against me came mostly in person on the outside world .
only a couple of times in a church . AND BIG TIME on web sites .
AND YET no matter how badly folks treated me , those who even called themselves christains ,
WAS I EVER TEMPTED TO ABANDON or blame GOD .
SEE most folks blame GOD on their troubles , but then most folks are really DESIRING something else .
GOD is very merciful to me . I was truly the worst of the worst johann .
Had you met me before my conversion , you would have thought there is the devils right hand man .
AND the kicker was , I SURE COULD SEEM NICE , i sure could still do some good works
give money to the poor , BUT I WAS LOST IN and LOVED MY SIN . And man did i love my sin .
IF you knew the sins i committed in the dark , you would have run from this hog .
GOD CHANGES HEARTS N MINDS . IF the change has not occured , THEY DONT KNOW HIM at all . That is a fact .
I should know , i too could lip his name and yet KNEW HIM NOT .
You've nailed this on the head brother!
J.

@WalterandDebbie spotted-stay strong in Christ Jesus, rooted and grounded in Him, sealed with the Holy Spirit-your works of loving labors will be rewarded.

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Onward in the LORD my friend . HE is our hope and our salvation . march on my friend . We shall march ever onwards in
the glorious LORD .
The longer I know you the more I appreciate you my brother-most of my fellow brothers and few sisters are gone-or strangely "silent" but with you I can be myself and not be pretentious.
This Forum will not be the same without you @amigo de christo and our Lord Jesus whom you dearly love.
You type faster than I can think Lol!
The Celestial City is awaiting and onward we go.
J.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've nailed this on the head brother!
J.

@WalterandDebbie spotted-stay strong in Christ Jesus, rooted and grounded in Him, sealed with the Holy Spirit-your works of loving labors will be rewarded.
We thank you Brother, and you be the same towards The LORD.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The longer I know you the more I appreciate you my brother-most of my fellow brothers and few sisters are gone-or strangely "silent" but with you I can be myself and not be pretentious.
This Forum will not be the same without you @amigo de christo and our Lord Jesus whom you dearly love.
J.
Its also why my typings are often ripe with mispellings .

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Its also why my typings are often ripe with mispellings .
Don't you worry-makes perfect sense to me brother-
1Co 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

1Co 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Shalom
J.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
J.
About a year and a half before i was put into a digital ghetto on another site
i knew i would soon be removed . See the owner was more into the idea
of unity than the love of the truth.
Soon enough , my friend , the same will occur here .
Folks are more and more buying into the idea we just need to find common ground .
They are more and more falling in love with the idea of having unity
Rather than unity UNDER CHRIST and doctrine , it has become more and more unity for the sake of just having unity .
I have been banned from many sites .
Those who did so knew i was not mean to people . But i did bring always the reminders of truth .
It was getting in the way of having unity so i had to go .
Marvel not my friend if one morning you wake up and come on the site to find out
i have been removed . Not for being mean but for continually reminding folks of the truth .
You see TRUTH is something only lambs can unite under . Not something everyone can unite under.
But know this my friend . I have had zero regrets for speaking the truth . the only regrets i have
is that so many have not heard the simple message . I have no hate for anyone , but the more i love
the less i be loved . It is the way it is . BUT THE LORD IS WITH THE LAMBS MY FRIEND .
This generation is ready for a UNIFYER , only its not the unifyer that unifies under GOD
but rather brings together all to be as one under he who desired to be AS GOD .
This , while true it is , still brings sorrow to my heart for them . SEE , i was the worst of the worst
And GOD sent grace . HE did not desire my death , yet many reject the truth .
But so long as i am here , This lamb gonna point to the KING . JESUS CHRIST and him crucified
and bring all reminders of the truth and continue to expose that which is false .

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
About a year and a half before i was put into a digital ghetto on another site
i knew i would soon be removed . See the owner was more into the idea
of unity than the love of the truth.
Soon enough , my friend , the same will occur here .
Folks are more and more buying into the idea we just need to find common ground .
They are more and more falling in love with the idea of having unity
Rather than unity UNDER CHRIST and doctrine , it has become more and more unity for the sake of just having unity .
I have been banned from many sites .
Those who did so knew i was not mean to people . But i did bring always the reminders of truth .
It was getting in the way of having unity so i had to go .
Marvel not my friend if one morning you wake up and come on the site to find out
i have been removed . Not for being mean but for continually reminding folks of the truth .
You see TRUTH is something only lambs can unite under . Not something everyone can unite under.
But know this my friend . I have had zero regrets for speaking the truth . the only regrets i have
is that so many have not heard the simple message . I have no hate for anyone , but the more i love
the less i be loved . It is the way it is . BUT THE LORD IS WITH THE LAMBS MY FRIEND .
This generation is ready for a UNIFYER , only its not the unifyer that unifies under GOD
but rather brings together all to be as one under he who desired to be AS GOD .
This , while true it is , still brings sorrow to my heart for them . SEE , i was the worst of the worst
And GOD sent grace . HE did not desire my death , yet many reject the truth .
But so long as i am here , This lamb gonna point to the KING . JESUS CHRIST and him crucified
and bring all reminders of the truth and continue to expose that which is false .
Know what? I have just noticed I have over 4000 "likes"-I need to pray more and rightly cutting straight the word of God-this is not about the ego eimi-must be doing something right for the glory of God.
J.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Know what? I have just noticed I have over 4000 "likes"-I need to pray more and rightly cutting straight the word of God-this is not about the ego eimi-must be doing something right for the glory of God.
J.
You know what i find so funny . Most folks disagree huge with me on things , and yet
so many likes are on my posts . Rather odd huh . I sure dont write for likes , that is a fact .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
J.
No , its not about the ego my friend . Not you , not me post what we do for likes . And believe me , feel free
to follow me and see what i do write about . Its not about likes for us my friend . Just keep speaking the truth my friend .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol!
Love that timely humor brother.
Later.
J.
Just keep on pointing to the GLORIOUS LORD my friend . HE alone is our hope , HE ALONE our salvation .
HE alone is the salvation of GOD unto all who put their trust IN HE ALONE . now lift those hands my friend .
Its one forty one here , its eight forty one with you , OH BUT ITS LORD PRAISING TIME is what it BE .

Reactions: Marvelloustime