What does "born again" mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a very simple way of understanding it - for me it’s about coming alive on a spiritual level through the work of The Holy Spirit within me, and that is achieved through me accepting who Jesus is, why he came , why I need him and what the cross achieves.
All of us are alive physically, mentally and emotional , but true spirituality needs to come from God.
Rita, what does being "alive on a spiritual level" mean? What does it look like?

(Remembering this young lady at college who was into crystals and pyramids and auras and the like. "I'm not religious; I'm spiritual!")

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

115. "BAPTIZE", "BAPTISM", ETC.

It will be useful for the student to have a complete and classified list of the various usages of these words in the N.T.; the following conspectus has been prepared, so that the reader may be in a position to draw his own conclusions.
I. The VERB baptizo occurs eighty (*1) times, as follows :
i. In its absolute form, or followed by a noun in the accusative case. See Mat_3:16; Mat_20:22; Mat_20:23. Mar_6:14; Mar_10:38; Mar_10:39; Mar_16:16. Luk_3:12; Luk_3:21; Luk_7:29; Luk_12:50. Joh_1:25; Joh_1:28; Joh_3:22; Joh_3:23; Joh_3:26; Joh_4:1; Joh_4:2; Joh_10:40. Act_2:41; Act_8:12; Act_8:13; Act_8:36; Act_8:38; Act_9:18; Act_10:47; Act_16:15; Act_16:33; Act_18:8; Act_19:4; Act_22:16. 1Co_1:14; 1Co_1:16; 1Co_1:17.

ii. With the Dative case (implying element) : Luk_3:16. Act_1:5; Act_11:16.
iii. With en , denoting
1. The element, described as being
a. Water. Mat_3:11. Mar_1:8. Joh_1:26; Joh_1:31; Joh_1:33.
b. Pneuma hagion . Mat_3:11. Mar_1:8.
Luk_3:16. Joh_1:33. Act_1:5; Act_11:16. 1Co_12:13 (*) .
c. The name of the Lord. Act_10:48.
d. The cloud and sea. 1Co_10:2 (*).

2. The locality. Mat_3:6 (*). Mar_1:4; Mar_1:5 (*). Joh_3:23.

iv. With eis (Ap. 104. vi). Mat_28:19. Mar_1:9 (*). Act_8:16; Act_19:3; Act_19:5.
Rom_6:3. 1Co_1:13; 1Co_1:15; 1Co_10:2 (*); 1Co_12:13 (*). Gal_3:27.
v. With epi . Act_2:38 (with Dative)
vi. With huper (Ap. 104. xvii). 1Co_15:29.
vii. With hupo (Ap. 104. xviii). Mat_3:6 (*), Mat_3:13; Mat_3:14. Mar_1:5; Mar_1:9 (*). Luk_3:7; Luk_7:30.
viii. Translated "wash". Mar_7:4. Luk_11:38.

II. The NOUNS.
i. Baptisma . Occurs twenty-two times, as follows:
1. General. Mat_20:22; Mat_20:23. Mar_10:38; Mar_10:39. Luk_12:50. Rom_6:4; Eph_4:5. Col_2:12. 1Pe_3:21.
2. John's baptism. Mat_3:7; Mat_21:25. Mar_1:4; Mar_11:30. Luk_3:3; Luk_7:29; Luk_20:4; Act_1:22; Act_10:37; Act_13:24; Act_18:25; Act_19:3; Act_19:4.

ii. Baptismos . Occurs four times :
1. Translated "washing". Mat_7:4; Mat_7:8. Heb_9:10
2. Translated "baptisms". Heb_6:2.

(*) In the five passages thus marked, the verb is followed by two phrases, and therefore appears under two heads. They are : Mat_3:6. Mar_1:5; Mar_1:9. 1Co_10:2; 1Co_12:13.
Ol' Bullinger.

J.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Rita, what does being "alive on a spiritual level" mean? What does it look like?
I know this was addressed to @Rita -one word comes to mind-quickened.
Eph_2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Eph_2:5 Even when we were dead in sins,
hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Col_2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh,
hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

1Pe_3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh,
but quickened by the Spirit:

And you - you also, among those who have experienced His mighty power in enabling them to believe (Eph_1:19-23).

Hath he quickened. Supplied from the Greek, Eph_1:5.

Dead - spiritually (Col_2:13). A living corpse: without God's Spirit in the soul; so unable to think, will, or do anything that is holy.

In trespasses and sins - in them, as the element in which the unbeliever is, and through which he is dead to the true life. Sin is the death of the soul (Isa_9:2; Joh_5:25): "dead" (spiritually, 1Ti_5:6; Eph_4:18). Greek, 'in your trespasses,' etc. 'Trespass' [paraptooma] expresses a particular FALL or LAPSE, such as that whereby Adam fell. 'Sin' [ hamartia (G266)] is the general term, implying innate corruption and ALIENATION from God (literally, erring from, missing, the rule of truth), exhibited in acts of sin [Greek, hamarteemata (G265)]. Bengel refers "trespasses" to the Jews who had the law, yet revolted from it; "sins," to the Gentiles who know not God.
Ol' JFB.

J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'm not sure that's helpful, because it just begs the question, "what does 'quickened' (or 'made alive') mean?
Right-what do you think-see if I can come in agreement with you @Lambano

Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Eph 2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Eph 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
Eph 2:6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
Eph 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

J.

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
On the contrary it, baptism, is ABSOLUTELY needed for salvation per the scriptures. And it's not for public testimony. That's modern day man made-up unscriptural nonsense. The Ethiopian eunuch was in the middle of nowhere with just he and Philip.

Mark16:15-16

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

belief + baptism = salvation
If you can be baptized then you should be baptized. But God is not unthinking and inflexible as to expect baptism if someone is incapable of doing so for whatever reason. God has ordained baptism, and that is the reason there is power in it....it's more than just symbolic....the bible says "first the natural then the spiritual". Baptism is an act in the spiritual realm performed at God's behest, which "seals" something in the spiritual realm.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Meet the New Boss
Same as the Old Boss
Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Rom 6:8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Meet the new Rosh.
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
If you can be baptized then you should be baptized. But God is not unthinking and inflexible as to expect baptism if someone is incapable of doing so for whatever reason. God has ordained baptism, and that is the reason there is power in it....it's more than just symbolic....the bible says "first the natural then the spiritual". Baptism is an act in the spiritual realm performed at God's behest, which "seals" something in the spiritual realm.
I'm not going to take a dogmatic stance on water baptism-John's baptism was from heaven-and if it stands written in Scriptures I'll gladly get myself baptized.
My 2 cents.
Some take it way too far in making water "Baptismal regeneration"
Shalom
J.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure that's helpful, because it just begs the question, "what does 'quickened' (or 'made alive') mean?
Whenever I read the word ‘quickened ‘ it reminds me of early pregnancy , something changes and you feel differently inside - I can’t explain it , but they call it the quickening !

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whenever I read the word ‘quickened ‘ it reminds me of early pregnancy , something changes and you feel differently inside - I can’t explain it , but they call it the quickening !
Okay, that's fair. (Though as a man, I totally can't relate to being pregnant.)

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How can you explain being birthed in the Spirit?

It’s a living spiritual birth....which is done through the “ living”:word of God.

God’s Spirit is Alive and he births us through his mighty power....through the Holy Spirit.

His Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are his child.....

That’s my simple way of explaining the birth....it’s a supernatural act that only God can do, through the Spirit.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
So, what being "born again" does NOT mean is living a sinless life in this world.
I thank God that Paul penned Romans 7 brother and Romans 8 was NOT the "eureka" experience for our brother Paul @Lambano.
I can identify with Romans, especially 7-our daily struggles and shortcomings and can honestly say I don't know what it means to "walk in the Spirit 24/7"
I'll leave that to our "sinless giants" on this Forum.
God bless brother.
J.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can you explain being birthed in the Spirit?

It’s a living spiritual birth....which is done through the “ living”:word of God.

God’s Spirit is Alive and he births us through his mighty power....through the Holy Spirit.

His Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are his child.....

That’s my simple way of explaining the birth....it’s a supernatural act that only God can do, through the Spirit.
Okay; in your experience, what's it like? (Testify!)

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Correct-

2Co 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
2Co 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
2Co 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
2Co 5:19
To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
2Co 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

We have new hungers and appetites-diametrically opposed to what we was before-dead in trespasses and sins.
J.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie