What does DEATH mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where to start…first of all, who will spend eternity in hell when hell and all it’s contents is eventually thrown into the lake of fire?
Also, are men born with eternal life in them or does the receiving of Gods Spirit give them eternal life?
My thinking is outside the box.

I believe the lake of fire is an expression for the messes we find ourselves in because of our sin. When we stop sinning, those messes will fade away.

I think eternal life is just that: eternal life. In other words, we go somewhere else after we "die" and live there forever.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My thinking is outside the box.

I believe the lake of fire is an expression for the messes we find ourselves in because of our sin. When we stop sinning, those messes will fade away.

I think eternal life is just that: eternal life. In other words, we go somewhere else after we "die" and live there forever.
So…you think you were born with eternal life in you? In which case, there is no such thing as death at all and no such thing as the second death spoken of either.
Gotta say, that sounds a lot like a sneaky repeat of: did God REALLY say you would die? You will NOT die!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So…you think you were born with eternal life in you? In which case, there is no such thing as death at all and no such thing as the second death spoken of either.
Gotta say, that sounds a lot like a sneaky repeat of: did God REALLY say you would die? You will NOT die!
I don't know which Bible verse(s) you are referring to, but taking your comment out of context, I would say that one death is the end of our lives, and the second death is the pain we suffer because of our sin.

As far as eternal life in me, I would say I am alive until the Lord decides otherwise, which hopefully will never happen.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh…okay. It’s like talking with MathewG…thanks for the chat though.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One poor deluded person here said death means "cease to exist" and that Jesus ceased to exist for three days.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What does DEATH mean?​

Decomposition.....check it if you haven't.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean Adam and Eve DIED...right?

I think verses relating to Adam and Eve being warned not to eat the fruit.

Are better interpreted replacing the word "die" with "end".

"If you eat the fruit, you shall surely d̶i̶e̶ end."

This carries scientific implications.

1. Adam and Eve were a species of early human bridging modern humans with previous hominids. Which became extinct (ended / died out).

2. Scientists consider fruit to be one of the driving factors accelerating human evolution.

3. Early humans were probably similar to chimps and apes in terms of them not knowing they were naked and being strongly bound to instinct. They didn't know good or evil as they lacked the cognitive capacity to be as evil as beings with free will. Knowing good and evil represents the transition to modern man from early man where the brain size significantly increased allowing for man to know good and evil more closely to how angels and God does.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think verses relating to Adam and Eve being warned not to eat the fruit.

Are better interpreted replacing the word "die" with "end".

"If you eat the fruit, you shall surely d̶i̶e̶ end."

This carries scientific implications.

1. Adam and Eve were a species of early human bridging modern humans with previous hominids. Which became extinct (ended / died out).

2. Scientists consider fruit to be one of the driving factors accelerating human evolution.

3. Early humans were probably similar to chimps and apes in terms of them not knowing they were naked and being strongly bound to instinct. They didn't know good or evil as they lacked the cognitive capacity to be as evil as beings with free will. Knowing good and evil represents the transition to modern man from early man where the brain size significantly increased allowing for man to know good and evil more closely to how angels and God does.
God said they would "die" the day they sinned. They died that day spiritually and later physically. I don't know of any Bible translation that agrees with you.

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 2:25 . .The two of them were naked, the man and his wife, yet they
felt no shame

They were naked at first, but there's really no reason to believe that they
would've remained that way. I mean, after all, human skin is not all that
tough. They would need to protect themselves from dirt and grime, and from
sunburn, cuts, bruises, and abrasions. The thing to note is that at this point
of their existence, they lacked a sense of propriety.

In other words, there was absolutely nothing in their psyche restraining
them from parading around in full frontal exposure; and actually, neither
was there anything in their psyche encouraging them to; i.e. they weren't
exhibitionists by any stretch of the imagination because in their innocence,
Adam and his wife simply were neither proud of, nor humiliated by, their
appearance in the buff.

Adam and his wife felt neither naughty nor perverted by frontal exposure at
first, nor were they self conscious in the slightest respect because as yet
they knew no cultural boundaries, nor were they infected yet with a guilt
complex about sex and the human body; and concepts like vanity and
narcissism had no point of reference in their thinking whatsoever. They had
absolutely no natural sense of propriety, nor were they even aware of any
because their creator hadn't taught them anything about decency yet. Had
somebody scolded the first couple's appearance; they would no doubt have
stared at their critic like a man taken leave of his senses.

Their perception of themselves changed dramatically after the forbidden fruit
incident.

Gen 3:7 . .Then the eyes of both of them were opened and they perceived
that they were naked; and they sewed together fig leaves and made
themselves loincloths.

By their newly acquired intuition; openly displayed pelvic areas are indecent;
and most folks still feel that way about it though God has never, to my knowledge,
condemned the practice. In other words; sometime during the forbidden fruit incident,
they lost their innocence and became cultural. (Gen 3:22)

Gen 3:8-11 . . They heard the voice of the Lord God moving about in the
garden at the breezy time of day; and the man and his wife hid from The
Lord God among the trees of the garden. The Lord God called out to the man
and said to him: Where are you? He replied: I heard the sound of You in the
garden, and I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid. Then He asked: Who
told you that you were naked? Did you eat of the tree from which I had
forbidden you to eat?

In other words: who said exposure is indecent? Where'd you get that idea?

Well; nobody had said exposure is indecent, nor even suggested that it's
indecent-- the concept of a dress code was unheard of at that time. No;
Adam just felt indecent. In other words; upon tasting the forbidden fruit
Adam's intuition went south and began steering him into disagreements with
God's perspective.
_

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Adam sinned the curse came. Conditions before that were a different world.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God said they would "die" the day they sinned. They died that day spiritually and later physically. I don't know of any Bible translation that agrees with you.

"Die" and "end" are synonyms.

What are synonyms?

At the beginning of the story, Adam and Eve are naked and cannot comprehend good or evil at a level similar to angels or God.

At the end of the story, Adam and Eve are wearing clothes and have developed the cognitive brain function to better comprehend good and evil.

Its a story about early man evolving into modern man. Where the line of humans that doesn't wear clothes or comprehend good and evil "ends" or "dies out".

Modern man wearing clothes and having greater brain capacity emerges.

The fact that people can spend thousands of years reading the bible, and not understand these basic points is one of the most amazing things about religion.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Die" and "end" are synonyms.

What are synonyms?

At the beginning of the story, Adam and Eve are naked and cannot comprehend good or evil at a level similar to angels or God.

At the end of the story, Adam and Eve are wearing clothes and have developed the cognitive brain function to better comprehend good and evil.

Its a story about early man evolving into modern man. Where the line of humans that doesn't wear clothes or comprehend good and evil "ends" or "dies out".

Modern man wearing clothes and having greater brain capacity emerges.

The fact that people can spend thousands of years reading the bible, and not understand these basic points is one of the most amazing things about religion.
Then why does our Bible say "die"? It does not say "end". "Death" never means "cease to exist" in the Bible. Even though BILLIONS of people will wish they ceased to exist!

Rev "They will be tormented day and night FOREVER and EVER".

Last edited:

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why does our Bible say "die"? It does not say "end". "Death" never means "cease to exist" in the Bible. Even though BILLIONS of people will wish they ceased to exist!

Rev "They will be tormented day and night FOREVER and EVER".

Maybe its deliberately written or translated that way.

To give those who do not want to know the truth, a backdoor and way out of understanding things.

There are many in the world who believe they are healthier and better off not knowing basic facts on things.

The bible could be written to be humanitarian in nature.

So that those who flee from the truth, are not forced to contend with it, unless they choose to.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe its deliberately written or translated that way.

To give those who do not want to know the truth, a backdoor and way out of understanding things.

There are many in the world who believe they are healthier and better off not knowing basic facts on things.

The bible could be written to be humanitarian in nature.

So that those who flee from the truth, are not forced to contend with it, unless they choose to.
Maybe your opinion is wrong and the Bible is right?

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don't you just accept the Bible? It says "die". It's a terrible sin to try to rewrite our Christian Bible.

Genesis 2:17 (ESV)
17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”
Genesis 2:17 (KJV)
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Genesis 2:17 (NASB)
17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."
Genesis 2:17 (NIV)
17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."
Genesis 2:17 (NRSV)
17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die."

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don't you just accept the Bible? It says "die". It's a terrible sin to try to rewrite our Christian Bible.

Genesis 2:17 (ESV)
17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”
Genesis 2:17 (KJV)
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Genesis 2:17 (NASB)
17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."
Genesis 2:17 (NIV)
17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."
Genesis 2:17 (NRSV)
17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die."

Its a bad translation as most inaccurately assume it implies physical death of the body.

But what actually died were the tendencies to not wear clothes and not comprehend concepts like good or evil.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its a bad translation as most inaccurately assume it implies physical death of the body.

But what actually died were the tendencies to not wear clothes and not comprehend concepts like good or evil.
I'm glad there are MANY English Bible translations online. I haven't found even one that agrees with you.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm glad there are MANY English Bible translations online. I haven't found even one that agrees with you.

Well, maybe "die" is a better translation.

As it makes it easier for people to redefine the verse in their own likeness.

The bible is like a psychologists rorschach (abstract inkblot) test.

How people interpret the bible says more about them, than it does the content written on the page.