What does it mean to be born again?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I was born from my mother's womb, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered my head and I became a sentient soul. That divine breath became my human spirit.

What happened when I was born the second time?

When I was born again, the Holy Spirit provided an extension (the Paraclete) to reach my spirit. The divine breath was reconnected to God.

The following is not some abstract theory but my personal experience.

John 3:

3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, except anyone be born from above, he is not able to see the kingdom of God."
i.e., born from above or born again

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
The Holy Spirit (wind) comes to you to cause you to be born again. It is an actual supernatural event that happens. However, you may not feel it in real-time. I did not :)

John 14:

15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper <Paraclete> to be with you forever—17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
If one is born again, he has the Paraclete Spirit dwelling in his spirit/conscience.

1 John 3:

9a No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, because God’s seed [G4690 sperma] remains in them;
i.e., the Paraclete

The Holy Spirit cannot dwell in the flesh, Romans 7:

18a For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh.
Instead, the Spirit is connected to our human spirit, Romans 8:

16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
This is the promise of eternal life, John 10:

28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
The Paraclete is a special extension operation of the Holy Spirit. He is the Indwelling Spirit. The grammatical gender of the Paraclete is masculine. He enables us to hear God. I can sense him in my spirit anytime, all the time. Every time that I do, peace fills me. I was born of the Paraclete. He is directly connected to my human spirit. This is not some spiritual metaphor but a spiritual reality. Eternal life starts now inside us. The last time I experienced any doubts about God was back in the 20th century :)

2 Corinthians 13:

5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?
When I was born for the first time, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered me and became my animating human spirit. The second time, the non-detached Paraclete/Spirit from God connected with my human spirit and dwelled there. The latter is a spirit-to-spirit connection.

Another term for rebirth is palingenesis or regeneration.

In terms of spiritual mechanics/reality, do you have the Paraclete dwelling in you? Have you been regenerated?

Can you sense the Paraclete in you?

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When I was born from my mother's womb, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered my head and I became a sentient soul. That divine breath became my human spirit.

You were Born Of flesh, the human birth, yet your spirit that came from God was in darkness?

You hadn’t yet become Born Of The Spirit?...Spirit gives birth to spirit.

The Supremacy of the Son
(Hebrews 1:1–14)

15The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For in Him all things were created, things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities. All things were created through Him and for Him.

17He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18And He is the head of the body, the church; He is the beginning and firstborn from among the dead, so that in all things He may have preeminence. 19For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him, 20and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through the blood of His cross.

21Once you were alienated from God and were hostile in your minds, engaging in evil deeds. 22But now He has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy, unblemished, and blameless in His presence— 23if indeed you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope of the gospel you heard, which has been proclaimed to every creaturee under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.
What happened when I was born the second time?
For me personally I would call this, when I was Born Again, which was the Supernatural Spiritual Birth, that only God can do via his Spirit...

How would I know I was Born Again of imperishable seed...because the Holy Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are Gods children, he brought my spirit Alive in Christ as he was indwelling me, testifying with my spirit the whole time, my spirit recognised his Spirit straight away..

So for me...the Holy Spirit spoke to my spirit, which was the “ Living “ word of God, something you will NEVER forget, being Born Of The Spirit was a “ real” “ Living “ supernatural spiritual rebirth..my testimony and belief.

Romans 8:16
Verse (Click for Chapter)
King James Bible
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

New King James Version
The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

American Standard Version
The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God:

Berean Study Bible
The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

Douay-Rheims Bible
For the Spirit himself giveth testimony to our spirit, that we are the sons of God.

English Revised Version
The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God:
When I was born again, the Holy Spirit provided an extension (the Paraclete) to reach my spirit. The divine breath was reconnected to God.

The following is not some abstract theory but my personal experience.

John 3:

i.e., born from above or born again

The Holy Spirit (wind) comes to you to cause you to be born again. It is an actual supernatural event that happens. However, you may not feel it in real-time. I did not :)
I received the Holy Spirit in real time, as I explained above, my question is, if the Spirit doesn’t testify with our spirit that we are Born Again/ Gods children, then how would one know that they have been Born Of The Spirit..Spirit gives birth to spirit..he births our spirit into his?

It’s our spirit that must be Born Again , by the Living word of God...after the spiritual birth,I checked it out with Gods written word...and there it was..Born Of The Spirit/ Born Again of imperishable/ incorruptible seed..that seed that was placed into our heart/ spirit was a Living seed...and we all know who the seed is..
John 14:

If one is born again, he has the Paraclete Spirit dwelling in his spirit/conscience.

1 John 3:

i.e., the Paraclete

The Holy Spirit cannot dwell in the flesh, Romans 7:

Instead, the Spirit is connected to our human spirit, Romans 8:
We have been Born Again of imperishable/ incorruptible seed which liveth and abideth forever...the seed of God God, liveth and abideth forever in our heart/ spirit....because as he was making our spirit Born Again, which means...he spoke to our spirit as Gods word is a Living word...his word is Alive in Spirit...then there is his written word..

Only the Living word of God can testify with our spirit that we are his children ,plus his word also says, without his Spirit we are none of his.

1 Peter 1:23​

“Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”
This is the promise of eternal life, John 10:

The Paraclete is a special extension operation of the Holy Spirit. He is the Indwelling Spirit. The grammatical gender of the Paraclete is masculine. He enables us to hear God. I can sense him in my spirit anytime, all the time. Every time that I do, peace fills me. I was born of the Paraclete. He is directly connected to my human spirit. This is not some spiritual metaphor but a spiritual reality. Eternal life starts now inside us. The last time I experienced any doubts about God was back in the 20th century :)
I have never doubted that I am Born Again,NEVER..I have only doubted his Living word in that he revealed to me 32 yrs ago...32 yrs it has taken the Lord for me to now 100% believe his Living word that he spoke to my heart....Faith that was God’s gift to me got me through, yet the enemy was always trying to steal Gods Living word from me, he’s stopped trying now...because he knows that my faith and trust is 100% in God.
2 Corinthians 13:

When I was born for the first time, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered me and became my animating human spirit. The second time, the non-detached Paraclete/Spirit from God connected with my human spirit and dwelled there. The latter is a spirit-to-spirit connection.

Another term for rebirth is palingenesis or regeneration.

In terms of spiritual mechanics/reality, do you have the Paraclete dwelling in you? Have you been regenerated?

Can you sense the Paraclete in you?
Not only do I have the witness of the Holy Spirit who resides in my heart/ spirit...I know I am being made into the image of Jesus and that HIS fruit in me is maturing, it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.

Galatians 2:20New King James Version (NKJV) I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

My opinion/ testimony and belief...

100% do I know I have been Born Of The Spirit..” Spirit gives birth to spirit....that is the second spiritual birth that only God can do...it’s by his will that we are Born Again, not by the will of man.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What darkness? Please quote my words. I am having trouble understanding you.
we were born into sin/ darkness...?...alienated from the Spirit of God?....our spirit was dead....even though we came from God, we inherited the sin of Adam, therefore all mankind are born into darkness and sin...

We inherited the sin of the first Adam?

As we were Born Of flesh...Flesh gives birth flesh.

Then the second supernatural spiritual birth.

Spirit gives birth to spirit....our spirit became Born Again by the “ Living “ word of God...

I am not questioning that you are Born Again Tony...neither am I saying I’m more knowledgeable than you, far from it.....

All of us are at different levels of spiritual understanding...imo/ belief.

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This subject has always been somewhat difficult for me because as the OP indicates, it is largely *experiential.* I've known God all my life, but there came a time in my life where my experience came alive.

Whether this was my being "born again" or not I'll leave up to God. What is critical is this sense that we need to be completely overtaken with a new reality, apart from just our natural upbringing.

I think the entire concept was in the OT Law for Israel, the idea that after Egypt they must "begin again" under God's Covenant. It was a kind of death and resurrection experience as they began to obey God's Law completely, leaving their own independent ways behind, along with paganism.

So Jesus taught the concept to Nicodemus, while he was still in the OT under the Law. But it was ultimately fulfilled in the NT, after the cross, when people could leave all temporary systems behind to embrace a full promise of resurrection from the dead.

It is, I think, a spiritual alignment with the ways of God such that they completely leave their old independent ways behind in favor of following God's word alone. It is also a transition from OT works, which were temporal, to NT Salvation, which is eternal.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your human spirit that you were born with....was not “ Born Again “....it was in darkness, alienated from the Spirit of God...you were Born Of human flesh...” flesh gives birth to flesh “..your human spirit needed to be regenerated/ Born Again....that is the “ Living “ word of God....it’s a supernatural/ spiritual rebirth, which only God can do.

“ Spirit gives birth to spirit “. that is the “ Living “ spiritual rebirth....

Our spirit is reborn....not our “ head”. to understand scripture in the Spirit, then one must be Born Again....it’s the Holy Spirit who leads us through scripture to understand God’s word....you don’t lead yourself through it in your own human understanding....you need the Spirit of God...

“But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear;” (Matthew 13:16, NKJV) God gives spiritual sight and hearing to us once we have become born again believers in Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit is given to us to develop these senses in our life as we learn to walk in the Spirit (Gal 5:16).

Commentary....In Colossians 1:9-10Paul prayed that we would be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding. That we would have a walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

The Witness of John

6There came a man who was sent from God. His name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify about the Light, so that through him everyone might believe.8He himself was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light.

9The true Light who gives light to every man was coming into the world. 10He was in the world, and though the world was made through Him, the world did not recognize Him. 11He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of blood, nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please quote my words where I have asserted that. This is the 3rd time I have asked.
I was explaining to you that we need our human spirit that is in darkness when we are Born, to be regenerated/ Born Again..by the Living word of God.

Every human spirit needs to be Born Again to see the Kingdom of God.

God does the drawing to Jesus , he also brings us to repentance/ Godly sorrow...we also need him to birth our spirit into his, our spirit needs to become Born Again...I’m not sure why you are having difficulties understanding that. @TonyChanYT...if you have been Born Again of imperishable seed?

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was explaining to you that we need our human spirit that is in darkness when we are Born
We are not communicating. I am having trouble understanding you. I need more precision. Can you directly quote my words and directly contradict them? This is the 4th time I have asked. I prefer to debate people who can be more precise in their language.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are not communicating. I am having trouble understanding you. I need more precision. Can you directly quote my words and directly contradict them? This is the 4th time I have asked. I prefer to debate people who can be more precise in their language.
No, we certainly aren’t communicating....

I have tried to explain only you aren’t understanding what I’m saying, I’m also not understanding you.

What aren’t you understanding?

Then please Discuss what you aren’t understanding ?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
At this point, I ask you not to reply to any of my posts from now on. Thank you.
This is a discussion board.

If you don’t understand what I’m saying..then please ask?

I’m afraid @TonyChanYT you don’t get to dictate where I post or to whom I post.
And the same applies to me...
All I’ve asked you is...please discuss and explain what you don’t understand in my posts...thank you.

Last edited:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
At this point, I ask you not to reply to any of my posts from now on. Thank you.
Sorry but you cannot actually expect this on a discussion board, in all fairness you have responded to Ritajanice posts, so you can’t just expect her to not respond.
However It does appear that perhaps you are both going round in circles with one another and sometimes it is better to walk away and leave what has been conveyed there for others to read.
xxxxxx

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry but you cannot actually expect this on a discussion board, in all fairness you have responded to Ritajanice posts, so you can’t just expect her to not respond.
However It does appear that perhaps you are both going round in circles with one another and sometimes it is better to walk away and leave what has been conveyed there for others to read.
xxxxxx
Yes, I have decided to walk away as obviously we are on different levels of understanding...and it’s that going round in circles again..before you know it, we’re on that merry go round....thanks for stepping in and advising us both.xxx

Sometimes we can’t see what’s going on..we need that 3 rd party to put us back on track....which thankfully you have done..otherwise we might have been back and forth with each for weeks Tony...hehehe..just my humour no offence,xx

Reactions: Rita