What does it mean to 'believe'?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the key to Christ's salvation so it is pretty important for us to understand what belief actually involves. Thoughts?

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
You're asking some hard questions, aspen! I like it! ;)

For 'belief' to save you, it has to be living faith. Living faith is to seek daily to walk in the life of Christ, both with zeal for the Lord, and a contrite heart towards him.

calbhach

Feb 16, 2011
When I went to the Youth Evangelism Conference in Oklahoma City this year, the preacher who gave the massage described “belief” kind of like this:

God's Word says that all who believe in Him shall have everlasting life, right?

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Well, if the literal meaning of this true, then all people--humans, angels and demons alike--who believe in God's existence will be saved. In this instance, even Satan himself would be saved, because he believes that Jesus died on the cross to save people from their sins, even though he despises it. However, we all know that Satan will NOT be saved in the end. He's going to be cast into the fire.

Revelation 20:10 - And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

This must mean, then, that there is a deeper meaning of belief. Not only to believe that He exists and what he did for us, but also to acknowledge Him with love and respect, and to have faith that His Word is pure, holy and true.

I guess, then, there are two kinds of belief. One is a belief that something exists, and the other is a faith that that entity will do (and have actually done) what they proclaim.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love both of your responses! That must of been a life changing experience, Calbhach - awesome! I was a youth director,years ago and love to watch the Spirit moving and working in the lives of kids and adolescents.

Satan and his demons all live in their false selves. They have become unrecognizable to God - He knows their true selves, but since they refuse to live in their true selves, they remain hidden behind the defense of Ego/Pride/false self. They 'know' God's Word intellectually, but not on a heart level or application level - they have rejected the Holy Spirit, which is the unforgivable sin.

We are born in the same condition as Satan - this is Original Sin. We need Jesus's justification and the HS sanctification to find our true selves and live in a manner that bypasses the defenses of the false self.

To believe is to let down the defenses of the false self and live in the true self - an state that is open to learning how to love perfectly - this is redemption. We were created to love - it is our destiny, but we can only fulfill or destiny through Christ.

Unbelief is to reject Christ's gift of justification or refuse the Holy Spirit's urging and teachings (unforgivable sin) or remain on an intellectual level - knowing doctrine, without love (heart) or application (will). All of theses pitfalls occur on the level of the false self. The false self is incapable of love, which is the marriage of mind, heart, and will.

blessings