What does it mean to 'study the Bible'?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that 'spirit' produces what the Bible calls "doctrines of demons."

ok --
so how do i know the difference between an evil spirit vs. the Holy Spirit?
in terms of what 'studying the Bible' means?

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. What I take from its original meaning is that we need to get on with the job and stop messing around with this that and the other.

ok, thanks!

does 'commit ourselves to it' represent your point well?
((adds to list))

• Reading the scripture
  • Believing it
  • Praying for understanding of it
  • Delighting in it
  • Meditating on it
  • Finding Christ testified of in it
  • Internalizing it
  • being taught by the Holy Spirit through it
  • testing doctrine by it
  • taking all of it into consideration
  • seeking to please God
  • letting it say what it says
  • committing ourselves to it

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ok, thanks!

does 'commit ourselves to it' represent your point well?
((adds to list))

• Reading the scripture
  • Believing it
  • Praying for understanding of it
  • Delighting in it
  • Meditating on it
  • Finding Christ testified of in it
  • Internalizing it
  • being taught by the Holy Spirit through it
  • testing doctrine by it
  • taking all of it into consideration
  • seeking to please God
  • letting it say what it says
  • committing ourselves to it
Great list. Don't know that I could improve upon it.

Reactions: post

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok --
so how do i know the difference between an evil spirit vs. the Holy Spirit?
in terms of what 'studying the Bible' means?

Sin. A doctrine of demons wants us to go to hell so will create doctrines that will be apathetic toward us committing sins, like "the blood of Jesus COVERS our sins as we commit them." Maybe you've even heard of that one. The truth is the blood of Jesus TAKE AWAY the sin nature so that we don't want to commit them in the first place. That is called being born again of the Spirit.

1 Timothy 4:1-2
Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron

Our conscience tells us right from wrong and where the Spirit has written God's laws on our hearts/conscience.

Another one to give us freedom to sin is "Jesus paid the penalty for our sins, therefore there is no condemnation for those who believe in Jesus." Modern versions of the Bible put a period there in Romans 8:1, but read the KJV or NKJV and see the real ending (the condition) to that verse (who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit). These have become very common heretical teachings in today's church. And those who act on them, Jesus will say, I never knew you. Matthew 7:21-23.

Last edited:

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin. A doctrine of demons wants us to go to hell so will create doctrines that will be apathetic toward us committing sins, like "the blood of Jesus COVERS our sins as we commit them." Maybe you've even heard of that one. The truth is the blood of Jesus TAKE AWAY the sin nature so that we don't want to commit them in the first place. That is called being born again of the Spirit.

1 Timothy 4:1-2
Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron

Our conscience tells us right from wrong and where the Spirit has written God's laws on our hearts/conscience.

Another one to give us freedom to sin is "Jesus paid the penalty for our sins, therefore there is no condemnation for those who believe in Jesus." Modern versions of the Bible put a period there in Romans 8:1, but read the KJV or NKJV and see the real ending (the condition) to that verse (who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit). These have become very common heretical teachings in today's church. And those who act on them, Jesus will say, I never knew you. Matthew 7:21-23.

thanks!

i don't mind tangents that are marginally off-topic, but i do think this is a pretty nice thread that doesn't need to become another 'eternal insecurity' argument.

so how about:

when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: of sin, because they do not believe in Me; of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.
(John 16:6-11)​

when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.
(John 16:13-15)​

the Holy Spirit has these characteristics:
  • condemns unbelief
  • condemns unrighteousness
  • does not glorify Himself
  • glorifies Christ
  • testifies of the equivalence of Christ & God
an evil spirit is counter to this. evil spirits:
  • pass over unbelief
  • pass over unrighteousness
  • glorify themselves
  • diminish the glory of Christ
  • deny the power, authority & person of Christ

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Holy Spirit has these characteristics:
  • condemns unbelief
  • condemns unrighteousness
  • does not glorify Himself
  • glorifies Christ
  • testifies of the equivalence of Christ & God

I would say that the Holy Spirit has these characteristics:

• draws us to believe and know God
  • empowers us to be a slave of righteousness instead of sin
  • reveals the truth in God's Word as the Spirit of Truth
  • unifies us in love
  • writes God's laws on our conscience.
See your focus? It is negative. That was the Old Covenant - the ministry of death, 2 Cor. 3:7, the law of sin and death. The New Covenant is not negative, it is positive. It is the ministry of the Spirit that frees us from the law of sin and death Romans 8:2

When you really study God's Word you will see the supernatural difference between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. The power of the Spirit is what the true definition of what is God's Grace. The Divine Power that lets us partake of the Divine Nature of God. 2 Peter 1:2-4

Last edited:
Reactions: Wynona

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See your focus? It is negativ

Well my focus was on what Jesus actually said. I drew from John 16, where the things the Spirit of God does are described, and presumed an evil spirit does the opposite of what the Spirit of God does.

To be honest I don't know what you mean by saying 'my focus is negative'??

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well my focus was on what Jesus actually said. I drew from John 16, where the things the Spirit of God does are described, and presumed an evil spirit does the opposite of what the Spirit of God does.

To be honest I don't know what you mean by saying 'my focus is negative'??

A "negative" would be "thou shalt NOT" murder. (The opposite of love)
A "positive" would say "LOVE"

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that the Holy Spirit has these characteristics:

• draws us to believe and know God
  • empowers us to be a slave of righteousness instead of sin
  • reveals the truth in God's Word as the Spirit of Truth
  • unifies us in love
  • writes God's laws on our conscience.
See your focus? It is negative. That was the Old Covenant - the ministry of death, 2 Cor. 3:7, the law of sin and death. The New Covenant is not negative, it is positive. It is the ministry of the Spirit that frees us from the law of sin and death Romans 8:2

When you really study God's Word you will see the supernatural difference between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant. The power of the Spirit is what the true definition of what is God's Grace. The Divine Power that lets us partake of the Divine Nature of God. 2 Peter 1:2-4
Cl is badly confused on law and grace. It does not make her a bad person, just badly confused.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cl is badly confused on law and grace. It does not make her a bad person, just badly confused.

What is your definition of God's grace? I bet it is unmerited favor. Does it go so far as to say grace covers our sins so God doesn't see them?

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is your definition of God's grace? I bet it is unmerited favor. Does it go so far as to say grace covers our sins so God doesn't see them?
hello Cl,
18 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.

19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.

You still sin while here on earth, that is why Paul commanded us to mortify sin in romans 8 and col3.
The reigning power of sin has been broken, but you are still susceptible to sin ....

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

he says wretched man that I am....not that i was

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hello Cl,
18 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy.

19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.

You still sin while here on earth, that is why Paul commanded us to mortify sin in romans 8 and col3.
The reigning power of sin has been broken, but you are still susceptible to sin ....

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

he says wretched man that I am....not that i was

Here we go again. The verses from Romans 7 are about those under the Old Covenant BEFORE Christ and the Spirit. Yes, sin was in our members then. But the law of the Spirit of life in Christ has set Paul (me) free from the law of SIN and death.

Jesus frees us from sin. He is not forgiving us as we commit willful sins of lawlessness as unmerited favor would suggest. When you are in the Spirit you are not in the old carnal sinful flesh. Romans 8:9 There is not longer the struggle of Romans 7:14-23

This is exactly the reasoning that capitalizing the "S" in Spirit creates in Galatians 5:17. And Jude 1:4 is the result

Last edited:

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here we go again. The verses from Romans 7 are about those under the Old Covenant BEFORE Christ and the Spirit. Yes, sin was in our members then. But the law of the Spirit of life in Christ has set Paul (me) free from the law of SIN and death.

Jesus frees us from sin. He is not forgiving us as we commit willful sins of lawlessness as unmerited favor would suggest.

Paul says nothing about them being old covenant verses....your teaching on this wherever you got it from is quite false, and harmful .You are inserting that idea when the Apostle does not.
usually the false teaching on this says, paul wrote speaking of before he was saved in Romans 7, then he goes into 8:1 , no condemnation .
This is a falsehood as he clearly speaks of the indwelling Spirit teaching and enabling us to mortify sin from verse 1-down to verse 17...

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The same exact teaching in a clearly new covenant context here in col.3
4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul says nothing about them being old covenant verses....your teaching on this wherever you got it from is quite false, and harmful .You are inserting that idea when the Apostle does not.
usually the false teaching on this says, paul wrote speaking of before he was saved in Romans 7, then he goes into 8:1 , no condemnation .
This is a falsehood as he clearly speaks of the indwelling Spirit teaching and enabling us to mortify sin from verse 1-down to verse 17...

Did you know what "law" Paul was speaking of in Romans 7? Verse 7 gives you a hint. So does Ex. 34:28. I'm sorry that you cannot see the contrast of Law vs. Spirit - Old vs. New Covenants.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The same exact teaching in a clearly new covenant context here in col.3
4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.

8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

When you walk in the Spirit and stay there as Paul command us to not quench the Spirit, you will not be fulfilling the lust of the flesh of the old carnal nature. Those who walk in the flesh cannot please God and they will not inherit the Kingdom of God. In other words, they are not Christians.

A doctrine of demons says, no, you'll be saved if OSAS, but you will have less "rewards." Not even mentioned in Galatians 5:16-21.

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you know what "law" Paul was speaking of in Romans 7? Verse 7 gives you a hint. So does Ex. 34:28. I'm sorry that you cannot see the contrast of Law vs. Spirit - Old vs. New Covenants.
of course...Paul teaches us that the external commandments which he could not be obeyed in the flesh can now be obeyed by the Spirit working in us . the 10 commandments are still in effect.The law is loves eyes.
The law has been placed in our heart by the Spirit, in the new covenant;
25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you walk in the Spirit and stay there as Paul command us to not quench the Spirit, you will not be fulfilling the lust of the flesh of the old carnal nature. Those who walk in the flesh cannot please God and they will not inherit the Kingdom of God. In other words, they are not Christians.

A doctrine of demons says, no, you'll be saved if OSAS, but you will have less "rewards." Not even mentioned in Galatians 5:16-21.
I agree here in large part,CL.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
of course...Paul teaches us that the external commandments which he could not be obeyed in the flesh can now be obeyed by the Spirit working in us . the 10 commandments are still in effect.The law is loves eyes.
The law has been placed in our heart by the Spirit, in the new covenant;
25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

The Ten Commandments, the ministry of death, is still in effect? Do you keep the seventh-day Sabbath, the sign of the Old Covenant in the middle of the Ten Commandments?

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ten Commandments, the ministry of death, is still in effect? Do you keep the seventh-day Sabbath, the sign of the Old Covenant in the middle of the Ten Commandments?
No...i do not keep the decalogue under Moses, but rather under Christ;
Moses in the OT gave way to Joshua....a type, of the new Exodus in Jesus

Hebrews 3
King James Version

3 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.

3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house.

4 For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.

5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;

6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,

8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:

9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.

10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.

11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)

12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.