What does it mean to you?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you feel uncomfortable addressing the Messiah by his name?
I consider God and Jesus to be the same person. I have no difficulty calling Jesus by name.

Perhaps it's a Trinity thing for me: I'm comfortable addressing Jesus by name, but not comfortable addressing our Father in heaven by his name.

Reactions: Matthias

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Ps 83:18 That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, Art the Most High over all the earth.
What does the name Jehovah mean to you? Is this the first time you have heard God's name, or read it in the Bible? Many have become Christians simply by hearing that name as it is the most powerful name in the Universe, and the most recorded name in the Bible.

Wait a minute!
When Moses asked God his name at the burning bush, God said "I am that I am", implying that he was too big and awesome to have a name disrespectfully slapped on him..:)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I consider God and Jesus to be the same person. I have no difficulty calling Jesus by name.

If God and Jesus is the same person then wouldn’t “Jesus” be God’s name?

Perhaps it's a Trinity thing for me: I'm comfortable addressing Jesus by name, but not comfortable addressing our Father in heaven by his name.

Our Father in heaven is someone other than Jesus? Someone whose name isn’t “Jesus”?

I don’t call our Father in heaven by his name either when speaking to him. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with addressing him by his name - the Israelites did so on many occasions, prior to the Babylonian captivity - but I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with simply calling him “Father”.

I often use his name when speaking to others about him. I don’t think it’s necessary to, but I also see no reason not to.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wait a minute!
When Moses asked God his name at the burning bush, God said "I am that I am", implying that he was too big and awesome to have a name disrespectfully slapped on him..:)

So why did God go on to give him His name sir?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know, but I would feel uncomfortable at this point addressing him by his name.

Yes sir I fully understand that, that is the reason God had 2 Cor 10:4,5 recorded for us. Examine what Jehovah said to Pharaoh at Exodus 9:16 Bob: (Exodus 9:15, 16) . . .For by now I could have thrust my hand out to strike you and your people with a devastating plague, and you would have been wiped out from the earth. 16 But for this very reason I have kept you in existence: to show you my power and to have my name declared in all the earth.

Although you may not know it, calling on God's name is a requirement for salvation Bob Rom 10:13. Who do you think it is who truly does not want you to know and use God's name, Jehovah or satan sir? Believe me if God didn't want us to use His name, He certainly wouldn't have included it more than any other name in His word the Bible.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ah Robert, perhaps if you had also quoted the other 17 verses of this Psalm, then the context of the 18th verse would become relevant for us today.
Quite right Jay. I get fed up with Christians not being taught right so their Christianity is based on proof texts not the whole counsel of God.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God and Jesus is the same person then wouldn’t “Jesus” be God’s name?

Our Father in heaven is someone other than Jesus? Someone whose name isn’t “Jesus”?

I don’t call our Father in heaven by his name either when speaking to him. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with addressing him by his name - the Israelites did so on many occasions, prior to the Babylonian captivity - but I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with simply calling him “Father”.

I often use his name when speaking to others about him. I don’t think it’s necessary to, but I also see no reason not to.
I don't know why it is. In my younger days I would address Jesus. Nowadays, I address God, the Father.

Remember that God is a Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, so I think it's okay to address God, or Jesus, or the Holy Spirit, even though I think they are all the same person.

Reactions: Nancy

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir I fully understand that, that is the reason God had 2 Cor 10:4,5 recorded for us. Examine what Jehovah said to Pharaoh at Exodus 9:16 Bob: (Exodus 9:15, 16) . . .For by now I could have thrust my hand out to strike you and your people with a devastating plague, and you would have been wiped out from the earth. 16 But for this very reason I have kept you in existence: to show you my power and to have my name declared in all the earth.

Although you may not know it, calling on God's name is a requirement for salvation Bob Rom 10:13. Who do you think it is who truly does not want you to know and use God's name, Jehovah or satan sir? Believe me if God didn't want us to use His name, He certainly wouldn't have included it more than any other name in His word the Bible.
I don't think it's about his name. I think it's about who he is - what he has done - what he is doing for us.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus ever say to call God YHWH / Jehovah?
Yes sir, he made his name known, and stated this: (Matthew 4:10) . . .Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”

It is his disciples Romans 10:14,15 is talking about correct? Are not they the ones that made it possible for those who have not known Him to call on His name Drop? V13

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Did Jesus ever say to call God YHWH / Jehovah?
Yes sir, he made his name known, and stated this: (Matthew 4:10) . . .Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”

I dunno which bible version you're using mate, but the vast majority call God "God"..:)

Matthew 4:10-
Matt 4-10.jpg

Matthew 4:10 - Bible Gateway

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think it's about his name. I think it's about who he is - what he has done - what he is doing for us.

I guess you have never really looked into the importance of names to God, so I will end with this information sir: Should the Name Be Used?
MANY people do not feel at ease using God’s holy name. Devout Jews see this name in their Bibles, but they feel it should not be pronounced. Many other religious people hesitate to use it.
However, the entire nation of Israel once heard God speak his name. They heard it pronounced correctly. At Mount Sinai they heard it eight times in the Ten Words, or Ten Commandments, that they heard spoken from heaven.—Exodus 20:2-17.

If the translator of your copy of the Bible used God’s name where it appears in the original Hebrew, you will see that those commandments begin with the statement: “I am Jehovah your God, who have brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slaves. You must not have any other gods against my face.” The Living Bible renders this: “I am Jehovah your God . . . You may worship no other god than me.” (Exodus 20:2, 3) If the translators of your Bible did not use God’s name, they may have put the word “LORD” in capitals to show that The Name appears in the original passage.

There is nothing in the Scriptures that says that this name should not be used. God said not to take his name “in vain,” or “in a worthless way.” But that does not mean that we should not use the name. Rather, it means that servants of Jehovah should not do things that discredit his name.—Exodus 20:7.

Moses, who was used to record this command in the Bible, did not understand it to mean that God’s name should not be used, for he wrote that name many hundreds of times in the Pentateuch, the first five books of the Bible. Rather than not using the name, Moses said: “Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah. And you must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your vital force.”—Deuteronomy 6:4, 5.

The Bible does not show that this name remained hidden or unpronounced. Instead, it shows that over a period of many centuries it was in common use. The Bible quotes Eve as using it. (Genesis 4:1) Moses says that righteous Abraham used it, that Abraham called “upon the name of Jehovah the indefinitely lasting God,” though that fact is hidden in many modern Bible translations.—Genesis 21:33.

Abraham used Jehovah’s name in talking with the king of Sodom. Sarah used it in conversation with Abraham. Abraham’s servant used it regularly. Jacob, his wife Rachel and her father, Laban, all used God’s name.—Genesis 14:22; 16:2; 24:35, 42, 44; 28:16; 30:24, 27, 30.
Moses was commanded to use God’s name. Moses and Aaron used it in speaking to unbelieving Pharaoh, and Pharaoh used it in replying. He said: “Who is Jehovah, so that I should obey his voice to send Israel away?”—Exodus 5:1-3; 3:15.

Centuries later the people still did not consider Jehovah’s name unspeakable. They used it in talking to Samuel, and he used it in replying. (1 Samuel 12:19, 20) Righteous King David sang it publicly, saying: “I will declare your name to my brothers; in the middle of the congregation I shall praise you. You fearers of Jehovah, praise him!”—Psalm 22:22, 23.

The great prophet Isaiah did not think this name should be ignored. He used it more than 400 times in the Bible book that bears his name.

Isaiah did not tell his Jewish readers not to use God’s name. Rather, he said: “Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high. Make melody to Jehovah, for he has done surpassingly. This is made known in all the earth.”—Isaiah 12:4, 5.

Does any of this sound as though this mighty name was to be hidden? not be used? be replaced by some other word? Translators who drop God’s name from his own book obviously do not have the appreciation of this name that God-fearing Abraham, Sarah, Jacob, Moses, Aaron, Samuel, David and Isaiah had.

The later prophets did not hide this name either, considering it too sacred to use or feeling that earlier Bible writers were wrong and thinking this name should be replaced by some other word. Their messages were filled with such expressions as these: “Hear the word of Jehovah.” “This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said.” “This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said.”—Jeremiah 2:4; 19:15; Ezekiel 21:28.

Nor was the use of this name confined to religious matters. Not only was it used by teachers but ordinary people used God’s name in normal conversation. The Bible says that Boaz said to his field workers: “Jehovah be with you.” They would reply: “Jehovah bless you.”—Ruth 2:4.

Archaeologists have found confirmation of the Bible’s statements that the people used this name. In the 1930’s they discovered the Lachish Letters, pottery fragments believed to date from the Babylonian conquest in the seventh century B.C.E. These repeatedly use such expressions as: “May YHWH [Yahweh, or Jehovah] cause my lord to hear this very day tidings of good!”

Even non-Israelites knew and used God’s name. The Gibeonites told Joshua: “Your servants have come in regard to the name of Jehovah your God, because we have heard of his fame and of all that he did in Egypt.” (Joshua 9:9) In the tenth century before our Common Era, Israel’s enemy Mesha, king of Moab, had the name written on the Moabite Stone, rediscovered in 1868 and now displayed in the Louvre museum in Paris.

These facts should not be surprising. Rather than suggesting that this was a private, secret name that should not be used, Moses had told the people: “And all the peoples of the earth will have to see that Jehovah’s name has been called upon you.” (Deuteronomy 28:10) How could that be possible if even worshipers did not use his name?

Rather than being unspeakable, the name was honored, loved, respected. It was used in naming places, and even in naming people. Abraham called the place where he went to sacrifice Isaac “Jehovah-jireh.” (Genesis 22:14) And the following are among well-known Bible names whose meanings involve Jehovah, or Jah, the shorter poetic form of Jehovah’s name: Hezekiah, Isaiah, Josiah, Nehemiah, Obadiah, Zechariah and Zephaniah. People even use God’s name in naming children today. In fact, God’s marvelous name may be included in your own name! Do you know anyone named Joel? His name means, “Jehovah is God.” What about Jonathan? It means, “Jehovah has given.” Joshua means, “Jehovah is salvation.” And anyone who has the common name John has a name that means, “Jehovah has been gracious.”

So despite the belief of some people that God’s name is too sacred to be spoken, and of others that it should be ignored, there is no way it can be left out of the Bible. It is included in all these Biblical names that were used during the many centuries that people not only knew God’s holy name JEHOVAH but used it in prayer, worship and normal conversation.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Where was it written sir? Do you honestly believe Jesus would alter a verse when quoting it?

Jesus never called God 'Yahveh' or 'Jehovah', he always called him "God", "Father" and "Creator"..:)
God is too BIG and AWESOME to have a name slapped on him, heck even some angels didn't want to be labelled either-
"Then Manoah inquired of the angel of the Lord, 'What is your name, so that we may honor you when your word comes true?'
He replied, "Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding" (Judges 13:17-18)

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus never called God 'Yahveh' or 'Jehovah', he always called him "God", "Father" and "Creator"..:)
God is too BIG and AWESOME to have a name slapped on him, heck even some angels didn't want to be labelled either-
"Then Manoah inquired of the angel of the Lord, 'What is your name, so that we may honor you when your word comes true?'
He replied, "Why do you ask my name? It is beyond understanding" (Judges 13:17-18)

Actually Drop, I asked you where it was written. Jesus stated It is written, so logically he did not alter God's word correct? So did Jesus use the Divine Name of God when he quoted what was written, or did he alter the passage?

I don't really want to tell you where it is at at this time, I want you to see it for yourself as I did originally.