What does Our Savior consider Idolatry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently, nobody taught you about hermeneutics, which is the art and science of Biblical interpretation.

The most basic hermeneutical rule of the Gospels is this:
a. When Jesus addresses the crowds - He is teaching ALL of us.
b. When Jesus addresses the disciples/Apostles - He is addressing the Leaders of His Church.

In ALL of the verses I gave you - Jesus is addressing the latter.
Why you brought 1 Cor. 11:3 into the conversation, I have NO idea because it has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Finally - a priest forgives sins in the name of CHRIST - not on his own.

So, I ask you again: Exactly which part of those verses do you have a problem with?

As I stated before NO answer I give will Satisfy You, I think that you believe that if you ask the same question over and over again, that people will Surrender! I Believe that the Fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom, I have met the requirements for Salvation according to Scripture!
I am not an Educated Man, so as to be full of Knowledge, But I believe God has given me understanding by His Spirit, without any Religious Organization.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I stated before NO answer I give will Satisfy You, I think that you believe that if you ask the same question over and over again, that people will Surrender! I Believe that the Fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom, I have met the requirements for Salvation according to Scripture!
I am not an Educated Man, so as to be full of Knowledge, But I believe God has given me understanding by His Spirit, without any Religious Organization.
Okay - what are the "requirements" for salvation?

Did Jesus promise that the Holy Spirit would enlighten each individual and guide them to the truth - or did He make that promise to His Church?
Before you answer this question, remember that there are tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering Protestant sects - ALL teaching different doctrines yet ALL claiming to have the "Truth" from the Holy Spirit.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Did Jesus promise that the Holy Spirit would enlighten each individual and guide them to the truth - or did He make that promise to His Church?
Before you answer this question, remember that there are tens of thousands of disjointed and perpetually-splintering Protestant sects - ALL teaching different doctrines yet ALL claiming to have the "Truth" from the Holy Spirit.

This will be my last reply- I believe that all of Christianity is messed up! goodby

Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This will be my last reply- I believe that all of Christianity is messed up! goodby
That's a shame.
Jesus instituted a Church and said that the Gates of Hell would not prevail against it.

Apparently, you didn't believe Him . . .

Reactions: Marymog

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
lol--nonetheless, we can find ppl in any sect willing to admit they don't know everything, and that they are not necessarily the arbiters of truth; they just are not the more obn...assertive ones, i guess lol

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I will reply.

Nothing written in the Bible was written by a Catholic. Bottom line: Paul built the Church at Rome which was already in development. Peter later arrived and gave great credibility and help. But they started a movement which later became the Catholic Church. That's just history.

But yes... The Catholic Church did compile and declare what we know as the Bible. For the record... I have no date for when we officially had the Catholic Church which we today know... But i reckon by reading the works of Tertillian and a book by Bennett that it was more than established by 200 AD.

As for the Bible... As a non Catholic (and I am not a Protestant either) I absolutely believe that the men who compiled the Bible were led by God. 100%. If the books we call the Apocrypha are included. So be it... They are also included in my 1611 edition of the KJV.
Hi FHII,

Take a look at Ignatius of Antioch (a student of the Apostle John) letter to the Smyrnaeans which was written 110 AD: Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude of the people also be; even as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.

It is possible that he started the use of the word Catholic to describe The Church 90 years before Tertullian.

What is this 'book by Bennett' that you speak of?

Thank you....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I have a DOUAY RHEIMS VERSION- WITH ME AS I RESPOND TO YOUR QUESTION, Translated from the Latin Vulgate- Approbation of HIS EMINENCE JAMES CARDINAL GIBBONS - Archbishop of Baltimore, Approved by said James Gibbons. all other Bibles read pretty much the same! So do I have the true word of GOD in my possession? As far as the RCC being the Authority, and responsible for the Cannon of Scripture, I am not an Educated man, therefore I have not researched into the History of how it all came together. I do know that Moses wrote the Old Testament up to Deuteronomy, and the rest were written by the men that followed. The New Testament books were written by the Apostles, then they were translated into Greek. So whoever compiled them I am Grateful. Truly Grateful!!
Hi,

Yes, if you have a Douay Rheims you have the complete canon of scripture.

IHS....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right Mary. It's all about my inability to respond to your highly sophisticated comments. I don't know what came over me. Please don't judge me too harshly in your next conference with the Lord.

I realize all your days are nice, but have one anyway....
Hi Job,

I am not sure what I have said to you that has made you treat me this way. I asked a simple question and after several post you still haven't answered it. I assumed once you calmed down and reflected on the things you said you would change your tone.

In an effort to carry on an adult conversation I ask again: Since scripture does not give us a list of books to be included in the Bible from what man did you get your list of 66 books?

If you have answered this in a previous post, I missed it.... just refer me to the post number.

IHS...Mary

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

33,000 Protestant Denominations?
We Need to Stop Saying That There Are 33,000 Protestant Denominations

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your question.

Since scripture does not give us a list of books to be included in the Bible from what man did you get your list of 66 books?

My answer.

I believe I heard it on the radio. Don't remember exactly who said it.

Your reply.

How sad.

I thought you wanted to carry on a serious conversation. I was looking forward to your reply. Instead it appears you can't back up what you believe with articulable facts. :(

Thank you for your time.

Mary

My reply.

Once again you assign values to my posts that simply do not exist. Why do you do that? Below are my posts in our little back and forth. Where do you see a belief mentioned?

You need to stop trying to read between the lines because you're really really bad at it. If you wish to engage me in conversation, all you have to do is ask. I would've thought you had learned your lesson after our last little dust up. I told you before, if you're going to make claims regarding my words, you better have your ducks in a row. It appears that once again your ducks are nowhere to be found.

You have a nice day Mary...
default_emot-hug.gif

default_sad030.gif

You replied with...

Translation: you can't back up what you believe with articulable facts so attack Marymog :(

QUACK, QUACK.

Thank you. My days are always nice.

IHS....Mary

My reply...

You're right Mary. It's all about my inability to respond to your highly sophisticated comments. I don't know what came over me. Please don't judge me too harshly in your next conference with the Lord.

I realize all your days are nice, but have one anyway...

default_sad030.gif

Which brings us to...

Hi Job,

I am not sure what I have said to you that has made you treat me this way. I asked a simple question and after several post you still haven't answered it. I assumed once you calmed down and reflected on the things you said you would change your tone.

In an effort to carry on an adult conversation I ask again: Since scripture does not give us a list of books to be included in the Bible from what man did you get your list of 66 books?

IHS...Mary
If you have answered this in a previous post, I missed it.... just refer me to the post number.

It's the second quote in this reply.

Have a nice day...

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi FHII,

Take a look at Ignatius of Antioch (a student of the Apostle John) letter to the Smyrnaeans which was written 110 AD: Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude of the people also be; even as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.

It is possible that he started the use of the word Catholic to describe The Church 90 years before Tertullian. I didn't say Tertillian was the first to use it... Not even the first to refer to the Church at Rome as Catholic.

What is this 'book by Bennett' that you speak of?

Thank you....Mary
Ignatius wasn't speaking about the Church at Rome. Tertulluan was.

The book is Tried by Fire by William J Bennett.

Reactions: Marymog

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, the question is - if you accept that the Holy Spirit led the Catholic Church to declare the Canon of Scripture - do you ALSO accept the Deuterocanonical Books?
I did answer that question.

As for the Bible... As a non Catholic (and I am not a Protestant either) I absolutely believe that the men who compiled the Bible were led by God. 100%. If the books we call the Apocrypha are included. So be it... They are also included in my 1611 edition of the KJV.

20171118_000218.jpg

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your question.

My answer.

Your reply.

My reply.

You replied with...

My reply...

Which brings us to...

It's the second quote in this reply.

Have a nice day...
I apologize. I thought your answer was in jest.

Mary

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did answer that question.
No, you didn't because by calling them "Apocrypha" means that you don't consider them to be inspired Scripture.
My question is: Do you accept them as inspired Scripture?

If not, why?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you didn't because by calling them "Apocrypha" means that you don't consider them to be inspired Scripture.
My question is: Do you accept them as inspired Scripture?

If not, why?
So your problem is in the name I call them? Well it kind of reminds me of how you want to call me a protestant when I say I'm not.

Call them whatever you want and label me whatever you want. It really doesn't matter to me. You have been given an answer.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So your problem is in the name I call them? Well it kind of reminds me of how you want to call me a protestant when I say I'm not.

Call them whatever you want and label me whatever you want. It really doesn't matter to me. You have been given an answer.
By calling them "Apocrypha", you are denying their status as inspired.
It would be like calling the Constitution of the United States a mere opinion and not the law of the land.

Your answer is evasive and incomplete, but I'm not surprised. I've never received a straight answer to this question from ANY Protestant.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My question is: Do you accept them as inspired Scriptur

My goodness... I let this slip by. BOL.. You flat out changed the question.

Here is the original question:
What being said - why would YOU, a non Catholic, adhere to a canon of Scripture that was compiled and declared by the Catholic Church??

Here is my reply:

As for the Bible... As a non Catholic (and I am not a Protestant either) I absolutely believe that the men who compiled the Bible were led by God. 100%. If the books we call the Apocrypha are included. So be it... They are also included in my 1611 edition of the KJV

Interestingly
I answered your question, I adhere to it because I believe it to be the word Of God! I wnsg to be Dishonest, So if by the Holy Spirit the Catholic Church received revelation to the Cannon of Scripture, and the Church declared it, and this is the Tradition of the Church, Go for It!

How is that not an answer? He agreed with you as I did!

The first question was about whether those that compiled the Bible were led by God. The second question is about whether some of the books were inspired by God.

That's not the same question. When someone gives you a straight answer, it becomes crooked when you change the question.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My goodness... I let this slip by. BOL.. You flat out changed the question.

Here is the original question:

Here is my reply:

Interestingly

How is that not an answer? He agreed with you as I did!

The first question was about whether those that compiled the Bible were led by God. The second question is about whether some of the books were inspired by God.

That's not the same question. When someone gives you a straight answer, it becomes crooked when you change the question.
No - you didn't agree with me.
You cannot agree that these Books are Scripture when you continue to refer to them as "Apocrypha". Apocryphal works by definition are NON-INSPIRED - so you're simply dancing around the question.
What is the difference between "Led" by God and "Inspired" by God?? It's just another non-committal dodge.

As for Truth - he is ALSO dancing around the question. He said that he believes that the Deuterocanonical Books "reveal reference to Gods Word".

You guys just can't seem to commit to a genuine answer.
Like I said - this is a really tough question for Protestants because one of the main pillars of your belief system (Sola Scriptura) hangs in the balance. If the Catholic Church is right and those Books ARE Scripture - then you guys have been rejecting the Word of God for 5 centuries and Sola Scriptura goes right out the window . . .