What does Our Savior consider Idolatry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Scott,

Why not 73 books?

What about all those people that called upon God and His answer to them was 73 books? What if they were also taken in the spirit to a place only God could know and they were told something different than you?

Those same men and women who accept 73 books believe they have come to know and recognize the Holy Spirit at every turn and they believe He is with them and in them.

Why are they wrong and you right about the number of inspired books?

IHS....Mary
Because He did not lead me to 73 books.

The seed is not scattered on the ground evenly, "some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them. Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away. And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them. But others fell on good ground and yielded a crop: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!

Because the measure of what is right and wrong is not equal among all people.

Moreover, we are told that many will be deceived. But if you ask again how I know that I am not one of the deceived, I will answer: Who has heard from the Lord as I have, having no guidance from men, no indoctrination, just me calling upon Him and Him answering?

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brave man, brave post. Somehow on this forum whenever we speak of " the precious things" that God has taken us through in our walk...it gets kicked back or torn apart.
Good testimony . amen

That's called casting your pearls...
default_smile.png

Reactions: Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because He did not lead me to 73 books.

The seed is not scattered on the ground evenly, "some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them. Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; and they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away. And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them. But others fell on good ground and yielded a crop: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!

Because the measure of what is right and wrong is not equal among all people.

Moreover, we are told that many will be deceived. But if you ask again how I know that I am not one of the deceived, I will answer: Who has heard from the Lord as I have, having no guidance from men, no indoctrination, just me calling upon Him and Him answering?
Hi Scott,

What about the millions of Christians that heard from the Lord and with no guidance from men and no indoctrination from a church came to the 73 books conclusion? Did He not answer them correctly? How do you know you are not one of the many deceived?

Mary

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about the millions of Christians that heard from the Lord and with no guidance from men and no indoctrination from a church came to the 73 books conclusion? Did He not answer them correctly?
Sure, just as He might meet a child who hears of Him from a children's bible story book. It is not the words as they are written.
How do you know you are not one of the many deceived?
I answered that.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If God were to remove His Spirit from the earth...this institutional church you speak of would remain.
No, it wouldn't. His Spirit would go with the insitutional Church because they are inseparable. You can't separate Jesus' body from His Spirit either.

Walking on the sea: Peter is not the focal point. Jesus Christ is the focal point. Christ (the Lamb) is always the focal point. When peter becomes the focal point and his lack of faith(minus spirit): Peter sinks. I ask honestly: Where is your focus...on man (Peter) or God?
Both. Jesus lifted Peter up. I made no mention of Peter in post #122.

Exodus 24:10 KJV
[10] And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.

Revelation 15:2-3KJV
[2] And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God. [3] And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.
It doesn't look purely spiritual to me.

Peter, Peter, Peter, peter...why is it so important for peter to be the focus while the Lamb is the one that made possible:
Peter and the papacy was the main target of the reformation and still is. Peter would not be the focus if Protestants would stop attacking his role, and realize the papacy developed over centuries just like every doctrine in the Bible developed.
"...Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world..." is recited 3 times at every Mass. Prayers taken directly from Revelation are also recited at every Mass. You don't know what you are missing.
2 Corinthians 3:17-18 KJV
[17] Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is , there is liberty. [18] But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
There can be only on answer.
To keep the church institutionalize rather than free and for all.
That would be impossible. A purely spiritualized church cannot function. A purely physical (institutionalized) church would have collapsed in the 1st century. Do you read any of my posts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, just as He might meet a child who hears of Him from a children's bible story book. It is not the words as they are written.
I answered that.
No, you didn't answer, but I digress.

You believe others have been deceived. You don't believe you have been deceived. You received the truth. They didn't.

Basically you are saying you are right because you know your right. That makes no sense.

Have a good night.

Love....Mary

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you didn't answer, but I digress.

You believe others have been deceived. You don't believe you have been deceived. You received the truth. They didn't.

Basically you are saying you are right because you know your right. That makes no sense.

Have a good night.

Love....Mary
No...you have not listened at all. I explained in detail, including confirmation. I do not "believe." On the contrary, I "know" by God.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No...you have not listened at all. I explained in detail, including confirmation. I do not "believe." On the contrary, I "know" by God.
Dear sir,

So do the millions of people who accept 73 books...they KNOW they are right also. They also had confirmation. What does that make them? Deceived?

Mary

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear sir,

So do the millions of people who accept 73 books...they KNOW they are right also. They also had confirmation. What does that make them? Deceived?

Mary
Perhaps, but not necessarily.

Just as Judah and Israel took different paths for a time...God has allowed it, or even designed it.

But one thing is sure: proceeding the fork in the road during the 15th century, which you seem determined to demonize, there was first a fork in the road when Christ declared the building of His church. For better or for worse, choices were made at each juncture.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps, but not necessarily.
If the millions that accept the 73 books are "Perhaps, but not necessarily" deceived then it only stands to reason that perhaps you are the one deceived. But maybe not.

How can both be true? How can you possibly be right and they wrong or you wrong and them right?

Mary

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the millions that accept the 73 books are "Perhaps, but not necessarily" deceived then it only stands to reason that perhaps you are the one deceived. But maybe not.

How can both be true? How can you possibly be right and they wrong or you wrong and them right?

Mary
That is not how I meant it. But rather that on an individual basis it is possible that some are deceived and some are not.

But, that is correct, both are not true. Yet, even within the group whom have come under leaders that were misguide, there are those who do as the leaders say, but not as they do...just as Christ advised.

For this reason, I also sited the more important a definite departure from Christ's plans for His church: That being the departure from turning solely to the spirit of God, and turning to Peter, a man, instead.

As for me, I never made that same decision, and am in the will of Christ.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I noticed you mentioned the 73 books twice so you didn't misspeak. Is there a reason you won't tell me where the other 7 books came from?

My best guess is the Apocrypha.

==== googled it:-
What are the seven books of the Apocrypha?
The Catholic deuterocanonical scriptural texts are:
  • Tobit.
  • Judith.
  • Additions to Esther (Vulgate Esther 10:4–16:24)
  • Wisdom (also called the Wisdom of Solomon)
  • Sirach (also called Ecclesiasticus)
  • Baruch, including the Letter of Jeremiah (Additions to Jeremiah in the Septuagint)
  • Additions to Daniel: ...
  • 1 Maccabees.

Reactions: Job

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm gonna take this as a confession that you misspoke.
It happens...
I noticed you mentioned the 73 books twice so you didn't misspeak. Is there a reason you won't tell me where the other 7 books came from?
Dear Job,

I think you already know the answer but I will play your game.....

Historically you must know that you are looking at it all wrong. It became popular to REMOVE those 7 books AFTER the Reformation.

The first bible ever printed was the Gutenberg Bible, a century BEFORE Luther started his Reformation, and the 7 books are in that Bible.

Christian history shows us that in about 367 AD the list of 73 books for the Bible began. The list was approved by Pope Damasus I and the Church Council of Rome in 382 AD. Later Councils at Hippo (393 AD) and Carthage (397 AD) ratified this list of 73 books. The Council of Trent, in 1546, in response to the Reformation removing 7 books from the canon, reaffirmed the original list of 73 books.

The earliest Greek manuscripts of the Old Testament, such as Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Alexandrinus include the seven books.

Furthermore the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls included the book of Tobit and the book of Sirach which shows that the people back then thought them canonical since they were found with the book of Isaiah and other Old Testament books. The Hebrew texts found among the Dead Sea scrolls pre-date Christ and more closely match the Greek Septuagint than the medieval Masoretic texts.

The Septuagint has its origins around 70 BC and the first Christians used the Greek Old Testament called the Septuagint, which includes the 7 books.

Since scripture does not give us a list of books to be included in the Bible from what man did you get your list of 66 books?

IHS....Mary