What Does the Bible Mean By Speaking In Tongues?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

verzanumi24

Advanced Member
Aug 17, 2007
New Yonk City
What Does the Bible Mean By Speaking In Tongues?________________________________________Tongues In the New TestamentMark 16:17 (KJV) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; Acts 2:3-4 (KJV) And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. Cloven tongues:God was showing that He was giving them the ability to speak two languages in order for them to reach more people than they would just using their native tongue. It does not mean that all who has the Holy Spirit would be given this gift; to others it would be different gift. The Spirit of the Lord gave Samson the gift of strenght and the reason why Elijah could out ran the horse that Ahab was riding.1 Cor. 12:8-9 (KJV) For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; Judges 14:19 (KJV) And the Spirit of the Lord came upon him, and he went down to Ashkelon, and slew thirty men of them, and took their spoil, and gave change of garments unto them which expounded the riddle. And his anger was kindled, and he went up to his father's house. 1 Kings 18:44-46 (KJV) And it came to pass at the seventh time, that he said, Behold, there ariseth a little cloud out of the sea, like a man's hand. And he said, Go up, say unto Ahab, Prepare thy chariot, and get thee down, that the rain stop thee not. And it came to pass in the mean while, that the heaven was black with clouds and wind, and there was a great rain. And Ahab rode, and went to Jezreel. And the hand of the Lord was on Elijah; and he girded up his loins, and ran before Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel. Acts 2:11 (KJV) Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. Acts 10:46 (KJV) For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Acts 19:6 (KJV) And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 1 Cor. 12:10 (KJV) To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 1 Cor. 12:28 (KJV) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. 1 Cor. 12:30 (KJV) Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 1 Cor. 13:1 (KJV) Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 1 Cor. 14:21-23 (KJV) In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? Rev. 7:9 (KJV) After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; Rev. 10:11 (KJV) And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings. Rev. 11:9 (KJV) And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. 1 Cor. 13:8 (KJV) Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. The purpose of speaking in tongues was to spread the gospel message to others Nations and people, who did not speak the language of the Greeks or Hebrew. There has been much advancement in the deciphering of many languages since the time of the apostles, so the gift of speaking in tongues/languages is not as important as it was then.​