What does the Bible say about Grace and Good Works?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's just dive in to some verses I found on grace and works.

Grace:

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; - Titus 2:11-12

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God. - Genesis 6:8-9

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. - John 1:17

But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. - 1 Corinthians 15:10

We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. - 2 Corinthians 6:1

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: - 2 Corinthians 9:8

Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. - Galatians 5:4

Works:

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. - Matthew 5:16

I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. - John 9:4

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. - Titus 2:13-14

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. - Romans 3:27

The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. - Romans 13:12

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. - Ephesians 2:10

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. - Titus 1:16

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Grace:

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; - Titus 2:11-12

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God. - Genesis 6:8-9

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. - John 1:17

But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. - 1 Corinthians 15:10

We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. - 2 Corinthians 6:1

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: - 2 Corinthians 9:8

Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. - Galatians 5:4

Works:

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. - Matthew 5:16

I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work. - John 9:4

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. - Titus 2:13-14

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. - Romans 3:27

The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light. - Romans 13:12

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. - Ephesians 2:10

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. - 2 Timothy 3:16-17

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. - Titus 1:16
Hi Wynona, grace in more modern English is kindness maam. God's love and kindness moved Him to send His son in our behalf, and perhaps you are using it as a replacement word for faith, and if you are, faith and works are requirements for salvation as Jesus brother James recorded for us in chapter 2 of his book preserved for us in the Bible.

Neither alone saves us, but an honest faith, and giving evidence of that faith by working in harmony with God's will will assure that salvation maam.

Reactions: Wynona

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Grace = Meaning a favour or a Gift.
a gift to man, to which we have no claim whatsoever.
An interior strength infused by God.

And there is Actual grace and Habitual grace and Sanctifying grace.

John 6:44 and 6:66.
Romans 3:24

Reactions: Wynona

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Grace:

Works:

Beautiful selection of verses, Wynona.

Thank you so much for sharing them.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You should have included the next verse (v 10) and it would have revealed that grace leads to good works. This is not rocket science. If grace does not lead to good works, a person should question whether he or she is really saved.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
We are saved FOR good works, not BY THEM.

No one can be saved apart from the LAW, for the LAW is given that we may know God's definition of SIN.

By the LAW we are convicted of SIN and by the LAW we are to REPENT of SIN.
By the LAW we are instructed as to the method of redemption and forgiveness.
By the LAW we are told how to receive God's mercy.
By the LAW we are told no work will save us.
By the LAW we are given God's promise to justify us.

By GRACE are we saved through faith.
By GRACE are we empowered to live lives pleasing unto God, by the LAW.
By GRACE are we granted immortal life in the spirit and life of Christ who died for the SINS of the world.
By GRACE do we hope for redemption instead of death.

LAW & GRACE work together for it was Jesus who said "I did not come to abolish the LAW, but to fulfill it." (Matthew 5:17)

If Christ didn't abolish the LAW, then the LAW still stands.

Our justification is not of ourselves lest any should boast, by the LAW. Our justification is authored by God who alone gives it. It is for us to accept His LAWFUL work and it is for us to receive the gift of GRACE, given in His promise by the LAW.

For it is not LAW that saves us and it is not GRACE that grants us licentiousness as many today now insist.

It is LAW & GRACE together that combine unto justification and righteousness through Christ Jesus who ever lives within those who accept Him.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
faith by working in harmony with God's will will assure that salvation maam.

Salvation is "assured" by the blood and death of Jesus.
Nothing else need apply, especially not "good deeds" and "trying to be like Christ" and "water baptism">

Salvation is JESUS Himself, as He's the GIFT of God and the GRACE of God and the Forgiveness of God.
This is a mystery to people who don't know Him and who want to always talk about their SELF EFFORT as if they do.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is LAW & GRACE together that combine unto justification and righteousness through Christ Jesus who ever lives within those who accept Him.
Of course there is:

Rom 11:6 "And if by Grace, then is it no more of works:
otherwise Grace is no more Grace. But if it be of works,
then is it no more Grace: otherwise work is no more work."
More study:

Faith + Works = Justification
+
Which Works To Walk In

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

Grace, Peace, And JOY!...

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when they say it is not of works, lest any man should boast, it means not of the law of works of what you were before Christ, but it is of works/good deeds in faith in Christ Jesus
Of course "What Saith The Scripture?" Has Also Written:

Tit 3:5 "Not by works of righteousness which we have done,​
but According to His Mercy He Saved us, By The Washing of​
Regeneration, and Renewing of The Holy Ghost;"​

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If I put all my sin on Jesus, then it is not appropriate that I should give Him only bad things yet keep all the good things for myself. So every good that I do, in whatever small capacity I am able, I think should also be credited to Jesus as well. Certainly - I would not have done them if not for Him.

But I am not a man who understands ideas like sins or treasures in heaven; I only understand loyalty and oaths, so I have sworn that I will be the servant of Jesus for all time. So I strive, to the capacity I am able, to do things that Jesus would approve of, and heap only good things onto Him and not bad things.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

The Cross of Christ is the Justification , not works.
God Justifies "the ungodly" BY the Cross........based on the Cross of Christ,..... as all your works are filthy, and never accepted by God.
If you add works to the finished work of Jesus on the CROSS as your Salvation teaching, you are teaching against the Grace of God and are this... Galatians 1:8
Not a good idea to be that one GRACE ambassador.
And its not a good idea to call your self "Grace ambassador" and teach WORKS + Grace.
Better to call yourself LEGALIST, and be honest.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is "assured" by the blood and death of Jesus.
Nothing else need apply, especially not "good deeds" and "trying to be like Christ" and "water baptism">

Salvation is JESUS Himself, as He's the GIFT of God and the GRACE of God and the Forgiveness of God.
This is a mystery to people who don't know Him and who want to always talk about their SELF EFFORT as if they do.
If salvation is assurred, then why the second part of your statement Be? You stated it pretty clearly, it is a mystery, but it doesn't have to be sir, God wants us to know Him, in fact it is a requirement for salvation, upon Jesus' return those who do not know God will be destroyed, unless the Bible is wrong of course. 2 Thes 1:6-9 I hope you are correct, but I simply don't see it sir.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace is the unmerited favor of God in which God shows us mercy, kindness, and patience instead of the judgment that we deserve for sinning against Him. God's grace cannot be earned by our actions. Grace is based on the character of God and not on our sincerity, performance, or best efforts to keep the law. Otherwise, grace would no longer be grace.

Romans 11:6 - "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace."

We are saved by grace through faith, not works, not of ourselves it is the gift of God. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

Galatians 2:21 - "I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."

2 Timothy 1:9 - "who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity."

Yet God's grace (enabling power) operates sovereignly in the lives of believers.

1 Corinthians 15:10 - But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.

2 Corinthians 1:12 - For our proud confidence is this: the testimony of our conscience, that in holiness and godly sincerity, not in fleshly wisdom but in the grace of God, we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially toward you.

2 Corinthians 12:9 - And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

Titus 2:11 - For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, 12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Of course there is:

Rom 11:6 "And if by Grace, then is it no more of works:
otherwise Grace is no more Grace. But if it be of works,
then is it no more Grace: otherwise work is no more work."
More study:

Faith + Works = Justification
+
Which Works To Walk In

You are quoting religious slogans. Please be more specific. I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
when they say it is not of works, lest any man should boast, it means not of the law of works of what you were before Christ, but it is of works/good deeds in faith in Christ Jesus
The common slogan often used by some preachers is;
"We are saved FOR good works, not BY them."

However any mention of Jewish LAW usually ruffles the feathers of many who read about it. Please remember the Bible is a Jewish book written by Jews, about Jews and for Jews. Gentiles are invited to participate in God's good news, but aren't allowed to edit it.

That includes versions of religious law that have been skewed and reinvented by the church.

For instance, many object to my statement that NO ONE CAN BE SAVED APART FROM THE LAW. They adamantly proclaim the saved are above the LAW or that the LAW has been abolished. It hasn't. (Matt 5:17) On the other hand, preachers will arise to their pulpit and declare that everyone within earshot owes a tithe of their income to the church - usually 10%. This is a statement of Levitical LAW. So answer me this - if one is saved apart from the LAW how is that person subject to the LAW with regard to tithes and offerings?

There is no mention of tithing in the NT. Indeed it is part of the hypocrisy of the post-modern neo-gnostic church that declares one's salvation is free BUT subject to religious tax (tithe) for the rest of one's natural life following the Second Birth. Which is it? One cannot quote LAW and demand payment while proclaiming freedom from the LAW at the same time.

My second point here is one that's rarely discussed - if at all.

When discussions rage concerning LAW vs. GRACE the idea is often promoted that the church is above and beyond the restrictions of the LAW. So I ask - WHICH LAW? There were two.

Jesus lived by, preached by and died by the LAW. So did all the apostles. On the other hand, we often read Biblical words and writings that oppose another law. Which LAW leads to salvation and freedom? Which law binds and cripples? Obviously there are two.

Those that are cognizant of Jewish tradition literature and history will instantly respond with the knowledge of Torah vs. Talmud. One is the LAW of grace and the other is a law of works. One leads to salvation by pointing to Christ while the other (like the majority of Church types) insists upon tradition, good works and perverse adaptations of Biblical references. Gentile traditions and ceremonies are thus substituted for God's good LAW, but are no less hypocritical and ineffective as the Talmudic law condemned by the books of the New Covenant.

In today's theology Jesus could be defined as a Karaite Jew (as am I).

In other words the true Biblical debate is Torah vs. Talmud, NOT LAW vs. GRACE.

LAW & GRACE work together unto salvation. If one has not a basic understanding of Mosaic LAW then one cannot truly understand the precepts God is teaching in it - one cannot understand how and why GRACE works in the life of the believer.

This is a subject rarely addressed by the church. It's my hope some will consider it.

He who does not live by the LAW will die by the LAW (Romans 2:12).

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Keturah

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The common slogan often used by some preachers is;
"We are saved FOR good works, not BY them."

However any mention of Jewish LAW usually ruffles the feathers of many who read about it. Please remember the Bible is a Jewish book written by Jews, about Jews and for Jews. Gentiles are invited to participate in God's good news, but aren't allowed to edit it.

That includes versions of religious law that have been skewed and reinvented by the church.

For instance, many object to my statement that NO ONE CAN BE SAVED APART FROM THE LAW. They adamantly proclaim the saved are above the LAW or that the LAW has been abolished. It hasn't. (Matt 5:17) On the other hand, preachers will arise to their pulpit and declare that everyone within earshot owes a tithe of their income to the church - usually 10%. This is a statement of Levitical LAW. So answer me this - if one is saved apart from the LAW how is that person subject to the LAW with regard to tithes and offerings?

There is no mention of tithing in the NT. Indeed it is part of the hypocrisy of the post-modern neo-gnostic church that declares one's salvation is free BUT subject to religious tax (tithe) for the rest of one's natural life following the Second Birth. Which is it? One cannot quote LAW and demand payment while proclaiming freedom from the LAW at the same time.

My second point here is one that's rarely discussed - if at all.

When discussions rage concerning LAW vs. GRACE the idea is often promoted that the church is above and beyond the restrictions of the LAW. So I ask - WHICH LAW? There were two.

Jesus lived by, preached by and died by the LAW. So did all the apostles. On the other hand, we often read Biblical words and writings that oppose another law. Which LAW leads to salvation and freedom? Which law binds and cripples? Obviously there are two.

Those that are cognizant of Jewish tradition literature and history will instantly respond with the knowledge of Torah vs. Talmud. One is the LAW of grace and the other is a law of works. One leads to salvation by pointing to Christ while the other (like the majority of Church types) insists upon tradition, good works and perverse adaptations of Biblical references. Gentile traditions and ceremonies are thus substituted for God's good LAW, but are no less hypocritical and ineffective as the Talmudic law condemned by the books of the New Covenant.

In today's theology Jesus could be defined as a Karaite Jew (as am I).

In other words the true Biblical debate is Torah vs. Talmud, NOT LAW vs. GRACE.

LAW & GRACE work together unto salvation. If one has not a basic understanding of Mosaic LAW then one cannot truly understand the precepts God is teaching in it - one cannot understand how and why GRACE works in the life of the believer.

This is a subject rarely addressed by the church. It's my hope some will consider it.

He who does not live by the LAW will die by the LAW (Romans 2:12).

According to Scripture, Christians must live under the law of Christ, not the law of Moses. Do you agree?

Romans 7:4-6
Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter. - Romans 7:4-6

Reactions: Keturah