What does the term "Bridegroom" mean in the bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus alludes many times to a symbolic term "bridegroom". I've always been curious as to what it meant. But never made an effort to figure it out, or deduce it meaning. Would anyone care to share their own personal insight or understanding as to what the term means? Or how it fits into the overall methodology of the New Testament?

Offhand I remember that Jesus mades references to a bridegroom and bride. But also mentions that they do not have male or female genders in heaven. Which could further complicate things. There is also a verse in revelation which says the bride and bridegroom will no longer be found in the whore of babylon. So it seems that we could have something of a riddle on our hands in attempting to decipher exactly what that means.

While I have seen many try to tackle some of the easier questions and puzzles of the bible. Its not often that I see attempts made to tackle some of the harder or more difficult problems. Which is a shame as the learning experience and knowledge a person can gain in trying to answer some of the questions could be well worth the pursuit.

Reactions: Nancy

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
796 The unity of Christ and the Church, head and members of one Body, also implies the distinction of the two within a personal relationship. This aspect is often expressed by the image of bridegroom and bride. The theme of Christ as Bridegroom of the Church was prepared for by the prophets and announced by John the Baptist.234 The Lord referred to himself as the "bridegroom."235 The Apostle speaks of the whole Church and of each of the faithful, members of his Body, as a bride "betrothed" to Christ the Lord so as to become but one spirit with him.236 The Church is the spotless bride of the spotless Lamb.237 "Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her."238 He has joined her with himself in an everlasting covenant and never stops caring for her as for his own body:239

This is the whole Christ, head and body, one formed from many . . . whether the head or members speak, it is Christ who speaks. He speaks in his role as the head (ex persona capitis) and in his role as body (ex persona corporis). What does this mean? "The two will become one flesh. This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the Church."240 And the Lord himself says in the Gospel: "So they are no longer two, but one flesh."241 They are, in fact, two different persons, yet they are one in the conjugal union, . . . as head, he calls himself the bridegroom, as body, he calls himself "bride."242

footnotes:
234 Jn 3:29.
235 Mk 2:19.
236 Cf. Mt 22:1-14; 25:1-13; 1 Cor 6:15-17; 2 Cor 11:2.
237 Cf. Rev 22:17; Eph 1:4; 5:27.
238 Eph 5:25-26.
239 Cf. Eph 5:29.
240 Eph 5:31-32.
241 Mt 19:6.
242 St. Augustine, En. in Ps. 74:4 L 36,948-949.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Karen and welcome here,
The bride of Christ is used as a description of the church, and Jesus is the groom.

"And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast." (Bridegroom speaking of Jesus)
Matt. 9:15

28 "You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but I have been sent before him.’ 29 The one who has the bride is the bridegroom." John 3:28

There are lot's more to look for concerning the ten virgins and such.
I hope you will enjoy your time here!

Reactions: MatthewG

NagaMorningstar

Dec 13, 2022
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know where it would say there are no genders, just that there is no marriage in heaven. I do notice depictions of angels sometimes look androgynous.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The light of a lamp will never shine in you again. The voice of bridegroom and bride will never be heard in you again. Your merchants were the world’s important people. By your magic spell all the nations were led astray.

-Revelation 18:23

When I think of bride and bridegroom.

It reminds me of this.

ying-yang.png

If anyone is searching for alternative translations.

Bride and bridegroom might be translated as male / female.

Which could invoke yin yang connotations.

The part about "magic spells" also might apply considering yin yang is associated with mysticism and sorcery.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What does the term "Bridegroom" mean in the bible?​

OP ^

I would say a Bridegroom means one who has a Faithful (to He alone) Bride...
And the one (Groom) is Faithful to His Bride.

In Scripture the same “faithfulness” and terms APPLY to the “betrothed”, which most commonly modernly we call “engaged”.

In Scripture a “bill Of divorcement” was to “dissolve” a betrothal / an engagement......an agreement made TO Marry....
Divorce was not to “dissolve” a marriage.
Death was the “agreement” to “dissolve” a marriage.

Glory to God,
Taken

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Corinthians 15
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

First man: Adam
Last man: Jesus

Adam became Jesus and now he is coming back to get his wife Eve.