What Does The Word Baptize Mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vickie

Feb 26, 2009
what does the word Baptize mean?
Matt 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire There are two baptisms. One taking place being submerged in water and the other by the Spirit. As we are tried in our belief which has a strengthening in God that occurs with us, this is a fire that we are baptized into. Perfecting us into the righteousness of God. I Peter 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also, with not only the removal of dirt from the body, but, BUT THE PLEDGE OF A GOOD CONSCIENCE TOWARD GOD. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.We should have both, the water baptism which is the promise of a good conscience towards God,the other, the Holy Spirit given to us that we are given to help us and perfect us as we face trials in this fleshy body that we face which is a type of fire to us.

Vickie

Feb 26, 2009
Ok, but do we have to be Baptized by someone like a pastor?
All become disciples of Christ upon receiving him and being baptized. Anyone can baptize you that believes in Christ including a woman.It is not the person, though they need to be a believer, that the baptism becomes effective, it is of God. So, anyone can perform it.They simply need to say Rom 10:9-10 that states what is needed to be asked of the person who is being baptized. Ask: Do you believe in your heart, Jesus is the Son of God, given to us by the Father? That God raised him from the dead? have them confess this with their mouth, then dunk them under and they will be saved. Remember it is not the person baptizing who has any power, but it is the power of God.

gumby

May 29, 2009
My bible defines the word as a symbolic washing. I would not reccomend being baptized by a preacher though, any christian can baptize another christian.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
My personal conviction is that baptism should be at the choice of the individual, and by full immersion, but I realise the dangers of being legalistic about this. Given that the Greek meaning of "baptiso" is "to immerse" I do not regard the sprinkling of infants, children, and adults as true baptism and definitely refute the belief that infant sprinkling removes the necessity for the individual to make their own confession of belief in Christ when they are old enough. The Church of England Book of Common Prayer in its form of Public Baptism of Infants requires the priest to say, "Seeing now, dearly beloved brethren, that this child is regenerate, and grafted into the body of Christ's Church, let us give thanks unto Almighty God for these benefits..." and also, "We yield you hearty thanks, most merciful Father, that it has pleased you to regenerate this infant with the Holy Spirit, to receive him/her for your own child by adoption, and to incorporate him/her into your holy Church. And humbly we beseech you to grant that he/she, being dead unto sin, and living unto righteousness, and being buried with Christ in His death, may crucify the old man, and utterly abolish the whole body of sin; and that, as he/she is made partaker of the death of your Son, he/she may also be partaker of His resurrection; so that finally, with the residue of your holy Church, he/she may be an inheritor of your everlasting kingdom, through Christ our Lord. Amen." Unfortunately many children who are taught that this type of baptism secures their salvation grow up believing they can lead sinful, faithless, profane lives without establishing a personal relationship with Christ and still go to heaven when they die.

musicworld

Apr 1, 2009
Canary Islands Tenerife
gervais wrote: Any Christian can baptize another Christian.
but my point was! does the christian who is baptizing have to be baptized themself in order to baptize the other ? In other words if a christain has not been baptized does this christian still have the power to baptize others ?

Christian Commando

Nov 8, 2007
Well, lets stay in focus here with God. First "Baptism" was described correctly at first there. But, for a Gentile, its not necessary to be "water baptised" to be saved. This is a necessity for Jews being God's first chosen, yet denied Christ. Tho Jesus Himself was water baptised, He never baptised anyone. Acts 10 I believe it is, shows how Gentiles can recieve Salvation and the "Gift" of the Holy Spirit- (Baptism of Him), before that- "Can we refuse water to those who have recieved the Gift of the Holy Ghost just as we have?" And it makes no difference if is a Pastor or other True saved Christian who "water baptises" you. Fact is, its merely a public ceremonial law that is not required for Gentile Salvation, while still commanded of us by God to do. All it is, is a public confession before others of your committment to Christ. No, the one water baptising does not have to be water baptised already too. Its a ceremonial Law There is more than just Romans 10:9-13. there is confession God seeks of us as being sinners and having sinned to admit and seek forgiveness for it. John the Baptist preached of confession, seeking forgiveness and true repentance- (turning away from sins). You must also, as the Gospel of Christ preached Teaches us, to believe Jesus was- "God in the flesh", who came to earth, was persecuted, hung on the cross, died a physical death, descended into Hell for 3 days and nites, suffered under the weight of our sins in spiritual death, then rose again from the dead and ascended into Heaven, to overcome death by sin. If we believe this, we are now to ask Him into our heart to change it and accept Him as our Lord and Savior. These things must be believed, or Jesus dieing on the cross was in vain. Why? Because, only God could've taken on all the sins of the world- ("Behold, the Lamb of God, who taketh away, the sins of the world.") Because "none, no not one is found worthy", we must realize we need to bow before God and seek forgiveness for ourselves as sinners and for having sinned. Why ask Christ into our heart? Because- "unless a man be born again, he shall not see the Kingdom of Heaven." So, even tho its not Jesus Himself who comes in, He is a true Member of the God Trinity and declared- "I must go that He- (Comforter- Holy Spirit) may come and lead you to all Truth." From the day of Pentecost, the Holy spirit has come to dwell within every true saved and reborn Believer of God. Now, Jesus came to Glorify the "Father"- (God). But, the Holy Spirit, when dwelling within us, will Glorify both the Father, confirming all Christ taught, confirming Jesus Christ at the same time. This includes confirming God's Word. Why? "In the beginning was the word. And the Word was with God, in God and was God made manifest in the flesh." So, all the above elements are necessary to be saved and reborn. Why? Any Cult follower could become a True child of God otherwise, just by believing and declaring Rom. 10, even if does not believe Christ was- "God in the flesh" or all the other aspects. I've dealt with Hinduists and Buhdists who never heard of a "God" dieing for them and conquering thier sins so they could be saved. Thy've told me hold even thier religious Leaders had never found a way to be truely "saved". Why? They all go by "reincarnation", which believes according to how you've lived your present life, dictates what you'll return as in the next life. You could spend eternity going back and forth from advancement to a lesser creature never reaching any false "godhood". Which is why some can be reached with God's Truth when realize how they can be stuck in "limbo" as it were following that false religion. God Bless!!

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
jburic09032;70997 said:
what does the word Baptize mean?
Here's the lexical definition according to Thayer's Greek Lexicon:βαπτίζωbaptizōThayer Definition:1) to dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk)2) to cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one’s self, bathe3) to overwhelmPart of Speech: verbA Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from a derivative of G911Citing in TDNT: 1:529, 92