What happens to your soul when you die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev.6
9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

If the soul dies then WHOSE SOULS ARE THESE ?
How are they under the altar ?

Reactions: Gabriel _Arch

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word of God is not a puzzle to scramble & mix as we wish to make a picture we desire but it is God's mystery unto us, revealed by the Holy Spirit as we grow in the grace of God ! Those who lack understanding are not his.

If Jesus said we must be as children, in innocence and trust, then why do we mess it up with adult rational & reasoning. We have all been taught of men. It is high time as individual children we searched out the words of our Father to know his will !

2 Corinthians 6:15-18

15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

AMEN

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The death that occurred in the garden was the demise of their one ess in God. That intrinsic link with the living Holy Spirit that made them of and from himself. They then became mortal,conscious of material reality and their self-consciousness,awareness of self. Which is why they felt exposed when realizing they were nude.

The soul can never die,as we understand death and dying. It is of and from God.
As I read Timothy (1 Timothy 6:16) only God has immortality......but from your understanding, Adam and Eve had it also for you say 'then they became mortal' Mortal means subject to death and this death was a consequence of their disobedience as foretold by God ....but according to you, the soul can never die.

Incidentally, here is Ezekiel 18:20 on the matter, 'The soul that sinneth, it shall die....'

The premise that we have souls which are immortal, ie they don't die is a muddled understanding of what constitutes the soul, particularly when the story of the creation of Adam is clear (Adam became a living soul, he didn't receive one). It is also the belief in the lie the Serpent told Eve, 'thou shalt not surely die'

If it hasn't occurred to you, one cannot be mortal and immortal simultaneously. One can of course do a song and dance in the attempt to make the two congruent but all that does is expose ones ignorance of the scripture and advertise who one believes.

So, why would one argue the immortality of the soul if it were not to validate the Serpents lie? and, to reinforce the belief every pagan religion holds on the matter!

...further, being nude is not something to be ashamed of....God created them nude and as all of God's creation, it was good, even very good.
Their nakedness was their exposure to the guilt of their sin which they vainly tried to hide.....that's why they hide from God when he went looking for them.

Last edited:

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not put words in your mouth.
When you stated the soul is dead,those were your words.
And they are wrong.

We aren't zombies. The death that occurred in the garden was the demise of their one ess in God. That intrinsic link with the living Holy Spirit that made them of and from himself. They then became mortal,conscious of material reality and their self-consciousness,awareness of self. Which is why they felt exposed when realizing they were nude.

The soul can never die,as we understand death and dying. It is of and from God.
But God can destroy it.

Matthew 10:28 “Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Do NOT confuse this with man's spirit. They are separate. 1 Thes 5:23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Rev.6
9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

Revelation is figurative unless it's obviously not. The above is clearly figurative.
Souls under the altar represent all those people who have died for the testimony they held.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Matthew 10:28 “Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Who does the destroying and who is it we are to fear?

John 10:10 'The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
Jesus is referring to Devil, he is the one to fear, he is the thief.
Isn't it strange how we dump this onto God? make God responsible for the devils work. The devil has really done a job in peoples heads!

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, Jarrod... I will stop now because this is my core belief and as long as we have separate beliefs on this we just need to agree to disagree.
That's fine. I think we've discussed this several times over the years.

I will just add... most of the Biblical authors use the word "soul" in a simplistic way. They're just saying "myself."

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting that when the body dies, the spirit and soul do not die yet even in an unsaved person. Everyone's consciousness either goes to be with God, or into the outer darkness until the resurrection of the dead.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is interesting that when the body dies, the spirit and soul do not die yet even in an unsaved person. Everyone's consciousness either goes to be with God, or into the outer darkness until the resurrection of the dead.
...and so one sets themselves up for the spiritualist deception....yet would never know it.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your spirit and soul do not die. As other have said, it returns to God who created us. Christians are changed incorruptible and clothed in a white robe and a crown of righteousness. Unsaved go to a bad place, and only the body dies.

Matthew 7:13 - Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev.6

It's my understanding that Revelation was told to John in signs, so the book of Revelation is seriously symbolic. If people want to take Revelation 6:9,10 literally, that's there choice. But I disagree with taking it literally because it seems to me to be contradicting other scriptures by taking it literally. One of those scriptures is Genesis 2:7 which teaches that our flesh and blood human bodies became living souls, when God blew the breath/spirit of life into the flesh and blood human body.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 2:7 is a scripture that teaches us how God formed the first human being into existence. In my own words this scripture is teaching me that God took dust from the ground and formed the flesh and blood human body from that dust. Then God blew the breath/spirit of life into that flesh and blood human body and that flesh and blood human body became a living soul. So this scripture teaches me that we are living souls, not that we have living souls.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let proposition P1 = I have a living soul.

Is P1 true to you?
A human being is a living soul according to Genesis 2:7. This scripture doesn't say the flesh and blood human body was given a living soul. Genesis 2:7 says that when God blew the breath/spirit of life into that flesh and blood human body that God had formed from the dust of the ground, that flesh and blood human body BECAME a living soul. Argue and debate all you want but the word "became" is the accurate word that applies in this scripture. This scripture doesn't say that the flesh and blood human body that God formed from the dust of the ground was GIVEN a living soul.