What happens to your soul when you die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Solomon is SUS, as the kids say. He wrote Proverbs while he was still an apostate king worshiping foreign gods.

If/when you put Ecclesiastes in context... a lot of the "wisdom" statements there are set up like bowling pins - so he can knock them down and call them worthless. And I think that's the case here:

Because the very next verse is...
Vanity of vanities! says the preacher; all vanity. (Ecclesiastes 12:8)
So are you a yes or no when it comes to a separate soul and spirit?

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So are you a yes or no when it comes to a separate soul and spirit?
It depends on what meanings you assign to the words. In the first post of this thread, Tony called both words polysemantic (having multiple meanings), and he was right about that.

But in general... no. The soul is not a separate thing in the way many people (mis)understand it.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It depends on what meanings you assign to the words. In the first post of this thread, Tony called both words polysemantic (having multiple meanings), and he was right about that.

But in general... no. The soul is not a separate thing in the way many people (mis)understand it.
Fair enough.

I firmly believe we are Tripartite beings.

The body of man which is made of the dust of the ground (figuratively),
The spirit breathed into man's nostrils by the LORD God ,
And the soul which is the union of the other two.

There are two passages from the Bible that clearly establish the fact

1 Thessalonians 5:23

23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

This verse clearly states that man has three separate, distinct parts; the distinction maybe slight but they exist nevertheless.

Hebrews 4:12

12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

While some teach that the soul and spirit are two words that mean the same thing, this verse definitely tells us that they are divisible. While it’s true that the terms soul and spirit are used interchangeably in Scriptures, there are other passages where this is impossible.

YOU know the Hebrew term for soul is “nephesh” and it is found more than 780 times in the Old Testament. In Gen 2:27 we read that man not only has a living soul; he is a living soul.

This is the immaterial part of man midway between the body and the spirit, yet it is not a mixture of the two.

The soul is self-consciousness; it stands for the individual, personal life.
It is the intellect, thought, ideals, love, emotion, understanding, decision, choice and other like qualities associated with the soul make us the human being belonging to that soul. IOW our soul is also the seat of all affections.

Basically the soul is what Satan targets. Our affections and emotions. It is how he can get to us.

Now separate from our soul is our spirit.

John 4:24 tells us that “God is Spirit” and the spirit of man is the part that resembles God most.

It is this relationship that is the key to our being born again. (Not for now....)

This is manifested in our assurance of salvation when it says in Romans 8:16 that the Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God.”

It is the spirit that gives man the ability to have an intimate relationship with God; it is that part of us that is enabled by God to know and worship Him. The spirit of man is what gets born again or regenerated. Just as the soul is the sphere of activity where Satan operates, the spirit of man is the sphere of activity where the Holy Spirit operates in regeneration.

So, Jarrod... I will stop now because this is my core belief and as long as we have separate beliefs on this we just need to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What happens to your soul when you die?​

It is dead!
Funny how humans don’t understand death as the Bible explains it…it is the very opposite of life.
The only way to receive life again is by resurrection….that is a restoration of life, not a continuation of it. (John 5:28-29)

Satan’s first lie (“you surely will not die”) has hung around like a bad smell, for centuries…..and the creation of places for dead souls to go has been very imaginative to say the least. But in the Bible, there is only “Sheol/ hades“ for the majority, and that is simply sleeping in the grave. (Eccl 9:5, 10) Jesus will call them out (John 5:28-29) like he did with Lazarus. (John 11:11-14)

“Gehenna” simply means they won’t wake up.
So why fear death? There are way worse things than dying.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a great explanation on this question..
Traditionally most people believe that there is a ghost-like “spirit” inside of our bodies, and when we die, this spirit floats away somewhere, preferably heaven.

I will show that the Bible actually does not support this theory. In fact, according to the Bible there is no spirit inside of us at all. We exist only as mortal bodies, made from dust having been given the breath of life. And it is this “breath of life” that is confused with, or interpreted as, a “spirit”.

What Happens When We Die

Scripture says it plainly.

Genesis 3:19
By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”

Job 7:21
Why then do you not pardon my transgression and take away my iniquity? For now I will lie down in the dust; And You will seek me, but I will not be."

Job 14:10:12
But man dies and lies prostrate man expires, and where is he? "As water evaporates from the sea, and a river becomes parched and dried up, so man lies down and does not rise. Until the heavens are no longer, he will not awake nor be aroused out of his sleep.

Psalm 115:17
The dead praise not the Lord, neither any that go down into silence.

Psalm 146:4
When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day his plans perish.

Ecclesiastes 3:19-20
For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity. All go to one place. All are from the dust, and to dust all return.

Ecclesiastes 9:5
For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing

Over and over again the Bible says that the dead know nothing. These are only a few examples. The dead don’t think. They don’t praise the Lord. They have no consciousness. They return to the earth, as dust. Their plans perish and they cease to exist. Ecclesiastes 3 even tells us that man has no advantage over the beasts. All go to one place, which is dust.

Death Compared to Sleep

Psalms 13:3
Consider and answer me, O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,

1 Kings 2:10
Then David slept with his fathers and was buried in the city of David.

When Lazarus died, Jesus said he was sleeping.
John 11:11-14

After he had said this, he went on to tell them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.” 12 His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.” 13 Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep. 14 So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead

Christ was quiet clear on this..
No,he wasn't. In fact understanding scripture in context proves there is a soul in all people.

Your tradition makes out that humans are walking dust vacant inside but for what animates us as God's breath ofife.

The phrase itself vacated your entire premise. As does the verse.

Genesis 2:7-9
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.

Job 33:4 The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Isaiah 42:5 Thus says God, the Lord, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it.

Job 32:8 But it is the spirit in man, the breath of the Almighty, that makes him understand.

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What happens to your soul when you die?​

It is dead!
That's a tragedy. You should seek out faith in the living God and leave that lie in Hell where it was birthed.

In our faith the soul is given by the living God. His breath of life is life.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That's a tragedy. You should seek out faith in the living God and leave that lie in Hell where it was birthed.

In our faith the soul is given by the living God. His breath of life is life.
If it were not dead a resurrection would not be warranted.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Actually, it is a reply that makes you appear to not know the answer to the question I asked.
All who trust in Jesus know he lives. Fancy footwork in the form of questions to bamboozle the unsuspecting is a set up no different to the Serpents question to Eve, 'did God really say........' Genesis 3:1

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All who trust in Jesus know he lives. Fancy footwork in the form of questions to bamboozle the unsuspecting is a set up no different to the Serpents question to Eve, 'did God really say........' Genesis 3:1
Dodging the initial question and then likening my asking you again to answer as like unto the serpent says a lot about your character.

My question wasn't a bamboozle. Your first answer to it was.
Your statement the soul dies indicates why that is. Saying the soul that returns to God is dead is a lie.

The soul does not die. It is of God. And upon our death returns to Him.

Which is why I asked if you believe God is dead. Since you believe that which is delivered to us through God's breath is dead, it follows in that errant illogic that God must be dead too when the soul returns to Him who gave it.

You need think what you are trying to tell Christians here. When it is unbiblical that deserves attention. Not an accusation that equates a Christian to the serpent.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Dodging the initial question and then likening my asking you again to answer as like unto the serpent says a lot about your character.

My question wasn't a bamboozle. Your first answer to it was.
Your statement the soul dies indicates why that is. Saying the soul that returns to God is dead is a lie.

The soul does not die. It is of God. And upon our death returns to Him.

Which is why I asked if you believe God is dead. Since you believe that which is delivered to us through God's breath is dead, it follows in that errant illogic that God must be dead too when the soul returns to Him who gave it.

You need think what you are trying to tell Christians here. When it is unbiblical that deserves attention. Not an accusation that equates a Christian to the serpent.
sorry, putting words in my mouth doesn't wash. However, you do know what I am talking about as you are familiar with the dialog between God and Eve as evidenced by your post #471 in the thread 'How Evil Are Humans?

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sorry, putting words in my mouth doesn't wash. However, you do know what I am talking about as you are familiar with the dialog between God and Eve as evidenced by your post #471 in the thread 'How Evil Are Humans?
I did not put words in your mouth.
When you stated the soul is dead,those were your words.
And they are wrong.

We aren't zombies. The death that occurred in the garden was the demise of their one ess in God. That intrinsic link with the living Holy Spirit that made them of and from himself. They then became mortal,conscious of material reality and their self-consciousness,awareness of self. Which is why they felt exposed when realizing they were nude.

The soul can never die,as we understand death and dying. It is of and from God.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not put words in your mouth.
When you stated the soul is dead,those were your words.
And they are wrong.

We aren't zombies. The death that occurred in the garden was the demise of their one ess in God. That intrinsic link with the living Holy Spirit that made them of and from himself. They then became mortal,conscious of material reality and their self-consciousness,awareness of self. Which is why they felt exposed when realizing they were nude.

The soul can never die,as we understand death and dying. It is of and from God.
Lake of fire.