What Happens When You Believe in Jesus Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, Elisha made someone wash in the Jordan to be healed of leprosy also (2 Kings 5:10). And there is Moses' serpent staff that had to be looked at to be healed of serpent bites. The bread and wine is not God either. But it is required also. Many times God requires tokens of faith to be saved physically and spiritually.
Well, I would see baptism and the Lord's Supper as symbols of existing spiritual realities, rather than tools to make them happen.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I would see baptism and the Lord's Supper as symbols of existing spiritual realities, rather than tools to make them happen.
The water of the Jordan can't heal leprosy, and Moses' serpent staff can't heal serpent bites, so they're not tools. I see them as tokens, like the bread and wine and baptismal water.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The water of the Jordan can't heal leprosy, and Moses' serpent staff can't heal serpent bites, so they're not tools. I see them as tokens, like the bread and wine and baptismal water.
I like the lines of the hymn:

"Only bread, and only wine,
But to faith the solemn sign
Of the heavenly and divine,
We give Thee thanks, O Lord."

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the lines of the hymn:

"Only bread, and only wine,
But to faith the solemn sign
Of the heavenly and divine,
We give Thee thanks, O Lord."
I also like that we receive of the body of Christ to discern righteousness from sin. I have sensed and felt Christ's body presence from the sacrament mixed among my body. I think he does that via the Holy Spirit.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I also like that we receive of the body of Christ to discern righteousness from sin. I have sensed and felt Christ's body presence from the sacrament mixed among my body. I think he does that via the Holy Spirit.
Well, I would set more store on Scripture applied to the conscience via the Holy Spirit, rather than feelings accrued via the Lord's Supper. Maybe we don't see it exactly the same way.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I would set more store on Scripture applied to the conscience via the Holy Spirit, rather than feelings accrued via the Lord's Supper. Maybe we don't see it exactly the same way.
I was referring to the following reference, 1 Corinthians 11:29. If done properly, one should be discerning Christ's holy body with ours. Romans 12:5.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to deliberately distinguish between the term and meaning of belief versus faith and the false claim by some that we must enter into Christ in belief...

As true converts in Christ we do not just believe ON or IN Christ, we have the saving faith IN our spirit with Christ in us. We are already one in and with Christ.

And there is ONLY ONE type or form of spiritual faith we practice and possess. It is the faith that saves, where we have FAITH IN Christ's spirit who entered into us along with his Father on the day, hour, minute and second, and moment of our miraculous spiritual conversion - as a new spiritual creature. We have faith IN Christ because Christ has already entered INTO us and we are IN Him.

We never enter into Christ. If we believe, without possessing saving faith, that we must enter INTO Christ to be IN Christ and to remain converted, then this activity is of the carnal mind and one of self-work. Attempting to keep entering into Christ is from one who is unconverted, and will never produce or cause genuine conversion and salvation, let alone wanting a closer walk with God through Christ's spirit, influencing and changing them everyday. We cannot never force conversion or salvation by believing in entering INTO Christ's spirit. The Father can only perform this miraculous act by entering into us to the new life. We first believe, then we, the chosen, are given faith as a gift from God to salvation.

At the moment of conversion the Spirit of God places the spirit of his Son within us. HE enters INTO us, not the other way around. We can do nothing to enter INTO Christ, no matter how hard we try.

All seekers in Christ must go beyond just believing ON and IN Christ. They need the saving faith in spirit! And then this saving faith develops and grows in degrees over time. There are levels or stages of saving faith that we progress into and dwell in - from little faith, growing faith, mature faith to moments of strong, great and unwavering faith that all believers can experience. They are all based on ONE level of faith however, the precious saving faith.

(Rom 12:3) I realize how kind God has been to me, and so I tell each of you not to think you are better than you really are. Use good sense and measure yourself by the amount of faith that God has given you.

Each one in Christ is given a measure of this saving faith suited for his or her purpose for God.

If we are truly in Christ then we are anointed, set aside by God himself for his purpose. And to be anointed and chosen we MUST have this saving faith and not just a belief IN Christ or ON Christ. A belief is more of a mental activity compared to a spiritual faith.

All in the Body of Christ has the SAME saving faith, and varies only in the amount or strength.

Romans 12:4-5 (NKJV)4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function,5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 (NKJV) 21 Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God,22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

We do not need to try and keep going INTO Christ. We are already there! We just need to keep trusting in the spirit of Christ with us. We will be amazed how our faith matures as we yield more and more of our life over to Christ, in spirit.

(2Th 1:3) My dear friends, we always have good reason to thank God for you, because your faith in God and your love for each other keep growing all the time.

(Rom 10:17) No one can have faith without hearing the message about Christ.

As one source has said, Active faith is unquestioning belief, trust and reliance upon God with all confidence. Faith can become as real as any of our senses.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Possible, just as it is equally as possible that you may be also.

Yes be yes and no be no as not agreeing to an oath but to do something without an oath or even swearing by that oath.

I disagree.

By that prime example is a reason why we should not make an oath to tell the truth as it is ended with "so help ye God" when the lawyer demand the witness to answer in a yes or no answer and so it becomes a problem when the whole truth is neither yes or no but both. If you refuse to answer because of that limitation in trying to keep your oath, the lawyer can have the judge threaten you to answer or else be held in contempt of court. So the oath is a lie because God cannot help you keep that oath; only the judge can by reminding the lawyer that the witness has sworn to tell the whole truth, but they do not do that.

Therefore that oath to tell the whole truth has caused that witness to sin by answering in a yes or no answer only.

That is what Jesus is warning us about in Matthew 5:36 because we cannot do God's work in us to make ourselves good or to do good for by that oath is the knowledge of sin. That oath has caused your flesh to sin, for not paying let alone finishing it.

So when a believer makes a commitment to follow Christ or making a dedication of their lives to Christ, they are resorting to their own power in doing it by the flesh by keeping that commitment and dedication TO Christ.

God is not interested in our sincerity in following Him by the deeds of the law, because no matter how much the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak therefore what is impossible with man, is possible with God by living by faith in Jesus Christ to help us follow Him.

As it is, how can you apply these verses to your walk with Him when any man made bondage is to be shunned?

Galatians 5:1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Those who obey the commandments of God are the only survivors 1 Jn 5:3; Mat 7:21. I would recommend doing the will of Jehovah.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who obey the commandments of God are the only survivors 1 Jn 5:3; Mat 7:21. I would recommend doing the will of Jehovah.

And that commandment of God by Jesus in Matthew 5:33-37 is not to make an oath, not even swearing by that oath because we cannot do God's work in us or through us by the deeds of the law and we certainly cannot make an oath involving what we will do tomorrow either.

James 4:13 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: 14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. 16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. 17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

James 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus Is Jehovah

You are saved since having believed in Jesus Christ as that Lord Jehovah and that God has raised Him from the dead. It is the believing the preaching of the cross is the power of God in salvation to save those that believe.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.... 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

If you wish to "survive" what is coming on the earth in that purpose for "enduring to the end" ( 2 Peter 3:3-18 ), you need to believe you are saved and avoid these iniquities & others, for why God will have vengeance on His people.

God Will Have Vengeance on His People

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Gentiles got born again of the Spirit before water baptism so you do have a problem rectifying that as a truth in scripture to be taught that way.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

@Truther Since Peter said to the Gentiles that believing in Him is how they would get the remission of sins and afterwards Peter did command them to be water baptized, but yet Peter did not say anything about the remission of sins by that water baptism at that time either. Care to explain?
Sure...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost....

36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him....

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins....

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord....

It explains itself...no contradictions at all.

Be a good detective and follow the details.(believe...baptized...remission...believe...baptized...remission...)

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost....

37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

It explains itself...no contradictions at all.

Be a good detective and follow the details.(believe...baptized...remission...believe...baptized...remission...)

Thanks to Jesus Christ, the good detecting was done because by repenting from unbelief by believing in Him for the remission of sins was how they had received the gift of the Holy Ghost for the Jews when Peter said so.

Proof of this is how one receives the remission of sins by how we get the gift of the holy Ghost is by what had happened to the Gentiles when they had believed the word spoken that it is by believing in Him is how they had received the remission of sins because they got the gift of the Holy Ghost before water baptism.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Thanks to Jesus Christ, the good detecting was done because by repenting from unbelief by believing in Him for the remission of sins was how they had received the gift of the Holy Ghost for the Jews when Peter said so.

Proof of this is how one receives the remission of sins by how we get the gift of the holy Ghost is by what had happened to the Gentiles when they had believed the word spoken that it is by believing in Him is how they had received the remission of sins because they got the gift of the Holy Ghost before water baptism.
You did it again.

You read the Bible backwards and when you finally got to Acts 2:38, you dismissed it as "bah humbug".

The 3000 at Pentecost would scowl at you, including Peter and the 120 at Pentecost if you showed up.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You did it again.

You read the Bible backwards and when you finally got to Acts 2:38, you dismissed it as "bah humbug".

The 3000 at Pentecost would scowl at you, including Peter and the 120 at Pentecost if you showed up.

The message Peter gave to the Gentiles that believing in Him is for the remission of sins has to be the same message to the Jews, but you are not seeing it in that call to "Repent" which is to turn from unbelief by believing in Him Whom the Jews had crucified in unbelief.

Not sure why you are not seeing it but something is blocking you from reading Peter's words plainly to the Gentiles about how they were to get that remission of sins by believing in Him and what do you know? They got the gift of the Holy Ghost after that, way before water baptism.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that commandment of God by Jesus in Matthew 5:33-37 is not to make an oath, not even swearing by that oath because we cannot do God's work in us or through us by the deeds of the law and we certainly cannot make an oath involving what we will do tomorrow either.

James 4:13 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: 14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. 16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. 17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

James 5:12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

All Christians make a vow to God Chris, which means promise. An oath which was being discussed as you mentioned, means you are swearing about, or confirming something you said was true. Jesus addressed it by simply saying let your yes mean yes, simple as that. In other words, tell the truth at all times. Christians are to imitate Jesus, we both know that if Jesus said it, we could take it to the bank that it was true, so if anyone is a true Christian, keeping in mind that none of us are perfect and subject to error, but if we say it, we had better believe it is the indisputable truth.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Is Jehovah

You are saved since having believed in Jesus Christ as that Lord Jehovah and that God has raised Him from the dead. It is the believing the preaching of the cross is the power of God in salvation to save those that believe.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.... 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

If you wish to "survive" what is coming on the earth in that purpose for "enduring to the end" ( 2 Peter 3:3-18 ), you need to believe you are saved and avoid these iniquities & others, for why God will have vengeance on His people.

God Will Have Vengeance on His People

Jesus asked, who are men saying I am? May I ask, why do you think Peter's response was in error when Jesus confirmed it? Mat 16:13-17

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All Christians make a vow to God Chris, which means promise. An oath which was being discussed as you mentioned, means you are swearing about, or confirming something you said was true. Jesus addressed it by simply saying let your yes mean yes, simple as that. In other words, tell the truth at all times. Christians are to imitate Jesus, we both know that if Jesus said it, we could take it to the bank that it was true, so if anyone is a true Christian, keeping in mind that none of us are perfect and subject to error, but if we say it, we had better believe it is the indisputable truth.

man oath or sacrament is a promise as in acts 2:38-39 “this promise”
Which refers to ez 36

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.