What Happens When You Believe in Jesus Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The message Peter gave to the Gentiles that believing in Him is for the remission of sins has to be the same message to the Jews, but you are not seeing it in that call to "Repent" which is to turn from unbelief by believing in Him Whom the Jews had crucified in unbelief.

Not sure why you are not seeing it but something is blocking you from reading Peter's words plainly to the Gentiles about how they were to get that remission of sins by believing in Him and what do you know? They got the gift of the Holy Ghost after that, way before water baptism.
Here is the exact, verbatim message that Peter gave the sinners at Pentecost....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Now, what else are we not seeing?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the exact, verbatim message that Peter gave the sinners at Pentecost....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

repent from personal sins offences against God and His commandments not unbelief

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are saved since believing in him, and you have eternal life.

Galatians 2:16 KJV
16) Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 2:20 KJV
20) I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

1 Peter 1:3-5 KJV
3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4) To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Much love!

Reactions: Christ4Me

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 2:16 KJV
16) Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

20) I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4) To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Much love!

scripture never says “faith alone”!

1 cor 13:2

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All Christians make a vow to God Chris, which means promise. An oath which was being discussed as you mentioned, means you are swearing about, or confirming something you said was true. Jesus addressed it by simply saying let your yes mean yes, simple as that. In other words, tell the truth at all times. Christians are to imitate Jesus, we both know that if Jesus said it, we could take it to the bank that it was true, so if anyone is a true Christian, keeping in mind that none of us are perfect and subject to error, but if we say it, we had better believe it is the indisputable truth.

There is a huge different between Jesus asking His disciples to make a promise to follow Me from just saying, "Deny yourself, pick up the cross daily, & Follow Me," which is Him saying d not look to yourself to do it, but deny that you are able to, pick up the cross daily as it is not we who live but Christ Jesus Who lives in us, and to trust Him as our Good shepherd & Friend to help us to follow Him.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

That is why little children are free to come to Him for all they can do is trust the Lord. It is the religious people that have a hard time surrendering.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus asked, who are men saying I am? May I ask, why do you think Peter's response was in error when Jesus confirmed it? Mat 16:13-17

Jesus confirmed that Peter was not to be credited because it came from God the Father.

Matthew 16: 13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

What Peter had said was testifying that Jesus is God.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
man oath or sacrament is a promise as in acts 2:38-39 “this promise”
Which refers to ez 36

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Whose promise is that? The believer's or God's? reads to me that is what God is going to do so it must be His promise for all who believe Him.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
scripture never says “faith alone”!

1 cor 13:2

1 Corinthians 13:1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Faith alone is not being done away with here. This is talking about how not having love, we are nothing. It did not say we are not saved.

Care to address the scripture that he had quoted since scripture cannot go against scripture?

"Galatians 2:16 KJV

5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is the first word Peter said? That is what you are not seeing as the cause for the remission of sins which is repent from unbelief by believing in Him, because that is what Peter plainly said to the Gentiles on how to get that remission of sins by believing in Him.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
repent from personal sins offences against God and His commandments not unbelief

Did Peter recite all those commandments for the Jews to repent of for the remission of sins or were they prick in their hearts for crucifying Jesus in unbelief?

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Then Peter said the same message without doubt for how the Gentiles were to receive the remission of sins.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

You say repent from all sins and do His commandments and truther says water baptism is how believers get remission of sins & I say what both actually says in context; it is by believing in Him is how a believer receives the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Ghost at our salvation.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whose promise is that? The believer's or God's? reads to me that is what God is going to do so it must be His promise for all who believe Him.

yes his promise to baptize

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

Born again! Born from above!

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation. It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by baptism!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 13:1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Faith alone is not being done away with here. This is talking about how not having love, we are nothing. It did not say we are not saved.

Care to address the scripture that he had quoted since scripture cannot go against scripture?

"Galatians 2:16 KJV

5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time."

faith alone without charity avails nothing
Not salvation not anything

faith alone is a condemned heresy
Faith sacraments prayer fasting alms suffering are all part of salvation
Phil 1:29

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Peter recite all those commandments for the Jews to repent of for the remission of sins or were they prick in their hearts for crucifying Jesus in unbelief?

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. 37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Then Peter said the same message without doubt for how the Gentiles were to receive the remission of sins.

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

You say repent from all sins and do His commandments and truther says water baptism is how believers get remission of sins & I say what both actually says in context; it is by believing in Him is how a believer receives the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Ghost at our salvation.

it says remission of sin not unbelief

but repentance is not required for those who adhere to the heresy of faith alone

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes his promise to baptize

God breathed life into Adam, gen 2:7 and we received this life from our fathers!

Christ breathed on the apostles our spiritual fathers, we receive the new covenant life of God’s grace from them thru faith & baptism! Jn 20:21-23 Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

Born again! Born from above!

That's God baptizing us with the Holy Ghost for all who come to & believe in Him to be saved.

'The Father has set his seal' on Christ (John 6:27) and also seals us in him (cf. 2 Corinthians 1:22; Ephesians 1:23, 4:30). Because this seal indicates the indelible effect of the anointing with the Holy Spirit in the sacrament of Baptism,

Baptism indeed is the seal of eternal life." 87 The faithful Christian who I has "kept the seal" until the end, remaining faithful to the demands of his Baptism, will be able to depart this life "marked with the sign of faith," 88 with his baptismal faith, in expectation of the blessed vision of God - the consummation of faith - and in the hope of resurrection.

God has kept the seal whether the believer remains faithful or not. That is why we are told not to grieve the Holy Spirit.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

2 Timothy 2:11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

St. Paul tells the faithful at Ephesus that they have been “sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.” This is in terms of an indelible character imprinted on the soul in the sacraments of baptism and confirmation.

Not by water baptism as something done by men, but baptism with the Holy Ghost as done by God for all who believe in Jesus Christ as promised.

It is not as if this invisible mark is simply decorative. Rather, through it, we are enabled to participate in Christ’s mission and in his offices of priest, prophet, and king. Eph 1:13

Sealed by God eph 1:13 sealed by God (ez 36:25-27) in the ark of salvation by baptism just as Noah was sealed by God in the ark of the flood gen 7:16

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us!
(Ark of Noah a type of the church, member of Christ and his church and salvation by baptism!)
(Outside the ark of Noah none were saved, outside the church (the ark of salvation) none are saved!)

Sealed in the ark, sealed in the church the ark of salvation by baptism!

Sealed by God, not by the man doing the water baptism nor by the church, but by God Whom has sealed us with the baptism with the Holy Ghost; whenever any one believes in Jesus Christ & that God has raised Him from the dead.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
faith alone without charity avails nothing
Not salvation not anything

That is not the message in 1 Corinthians 13:1-3. It isn't that faith without charity avails nothing, but faith without love, we are nothing. That has nothing to do with our salvation but talking about how love should be the motivation for everything we do, otherwise what we do does not mean anything even though it avails much.

faith alone is a condemned heresy

No, it is not, when that glorifies God as our Savior as it pleases God to save those who believe the preaching of the cross that call on Him to be saved.

Faith sacraments prayer fasting alms suffering are all part of salvation
Phil 1:29

That does not glorify God as our Savior. That puts salvation back on themselves to save themselves as if under the Old Covenant.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it says remission of sin not unbelief

It says by believing in Him is FOR the remission of sins.

but repentance is not required for those who adhere to the heresy of faith alone

Repentance is required for running that race for the high prize of being that vessel unto honor in His House which is the eternal glory that comes with our salvation, but not every saved believer will be found abiding in Him to be accepted by the Bridegroom for the Marriage Supper above.

As it is, it is not for salvation because those disqualified and thus reprobates and left behind are still saved but becoming vessels unto dishonor in His House for not departing from iniquity. That is how those carnal believers & former believers left behind are still saved proving that being His disciples in running that race was not for obtaining salvation because we are saved as we need Him in us so we can run that race by faith in Him alone to help us lay aside every weight & sin Hebrews 12:1-2 to avoid becoming a castaway & not just lose the reward of crowns 1 Corinthians 9:24-27.

If a believer does not believe they are saved yet, although they believe in the Lord Jesus Christ & that God has raised Him from the dead, according to the scriptures, they are saved, but laboring in unbelief in coming short of that rest provided by Jesus Christ.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Hebrews 4:1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. 2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. 3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

You are saved for why, with Jesus Christ in you, you can run that race to be that vessel unto honor in His House but not by the Catholic Church nor the sacraments within her, but by faith in Him as your Good Shepherd & Friend to help you abide in His words in following Him so trust Him today.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
man oath or sacrament is a promise as in acts 2:38-39 “this promise”
Which refers to ez 36

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Keep in mind sir, all those that Peter was speaking to, were anointed.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a huge different between Jesus asking His disciples to make a promise to follow Me from just saying, "Deny yourself, pick up the cross daily, & Follow Me," which is Him saying d not look to yourself to do it, but deny that you are able to, pick up the cross daily as it is not we who live but Christ Jesus Who lives in us, and to trust Him as our Good shepherd & Friend to help us to follow Him.

Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

That is why little children are free to come to Him for all they can do is trust the Lord. It is the religious people that have a hard time surrendering.

Yes sir, he is our prime exemplar. Although yet a long way off, his disciples will be able to do so perfectly. Hopefully each and every day we do just a little bit better, but historically that hasn't proven true.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus confirmed that Peter was not to be credited because it came from God the Father.

Matthew 16: 13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? 14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? 16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

What Peter had said was testifying that Jesus is God.

Exactly sir, God revealed it to Peter, as stated by Jesus thus confirming the truth of Peter's statement. I side with Peter on this one Chris, Jesus is the son of the living God Jehovah.