What Is A Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yeah, pretty strange. Like report card day.
um, i get you, but imo something else is being inferred there. Dunno what yet. But a comment is being made about the previous v, about the perceptions of people.

"You're perceiving Me in this way, but I hand picked you guys, and one of you is channeling satan.
So what does that say about your perception of Me?" or "of God" even, if one prefers

Reactions: ScottA

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Did Krishna die for you?

o
YOU didn't mention that.
It was YOUR post.
What you posted would have been true of Buddha and Krishna.

So you're adding that Jesus died for us.
Krishna could have died for us too...
What else?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a Catholic is prejudice against Protestant doctrines or vice visa, seeing Christ in a brother might be missed
Quite so! This is why I see it to be very necessary to able to hear the Lord's voice at all times and then to pay attention to what we are hearing. Our brother in the Lord may hold very different views than we do even belonging to a group that we have almost no tolerance for. Nevertheless, we must love that person and our actions and words should show our love.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YOU didn't mention that.
It was YOUR post.
What you posted would have been true of Buddha and Krishna.

So you're adding that Jesus died for us.
Krishna could have died for us too...
What else?

This was in my original post.

29 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.

Does that sound like Buddha or Krishna to you?

o

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when you go to another town and eat what they feed you, everything is going to be wrong there. the forks are going to be in the wrong place, and the pots are going to be in the wrong place. Nothing is going to be what you are accustomed to considering as "correct."

But you are supposed to stay in one place and eat what they feed you, which is saying that you are going to wish you could move when the going gets tough and your ego might be better served elsewhere, and yeck eating what they feed you what if it turns out they're Catholics lol or omg even worse like Pentecostals or something. They could even be Mormons. :)
Ah yes, I am with you now. Sometimes just to eat what "they" eat will be offensive to my taste buds and my stomach. That's in the natural, but spiritually the same thing may apply. If God wants us to present our witness sometimes it may be necessary for us to tolerate for a little bit anyway so as to be allowed just to live in front them ... and maybe even be allowed to speak to them with their ears and hearts open.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amadeus said:
they must either have the same definitions
bbyrd009 said: virtually impossible imo

To be sure, precisely the same definition won't happen for two people unless God has actually provided the definition and each party has accepted it with no revision whatever. This is unlikely, but for God is it impossible? Would God not be able to do is both other parties are willing to submit themselves completely to Him?

Amadeus said: or they each must understand the other guy's definition as well his own.
bbyrd009 said: another def for dialecticism iow

Communication is almost always one the greatest, if not the greatest obstacle to real discussion.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great point Amadeus.
This is the Whole reason for this thread.
How could there be more than ONE meaning for a word????

I'd say that bb's definition of a Christian is NOT correct.
Some may THINK that's a Christian, but we know it's not.

(I'm not saying bb was wrong, he was just saying what many THINK---
THAT is wrong)
Believe me when I was working as an interviewer the importance of the word meanings was brought home to me. I could not use the acronyms that were common for me and fellow employees. But also people in other jobs had their set of acronyms or words or connotations which sometimes I needed to understand to know what they meant.

What is the correct meaning of a word? The one that communicates one person's meaning correctly to another person. Ideally of course when we are speaking of the things of God, we need to know God's meaning. He always knows His meaning, but all of the denominations are a pretty good indication that a lot of people are understanding Him differently. Hmmm!?!

Reactions: GodsGrace

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that we're loosing sight of what a Christian is.

Can anyone that believes in God call themselves a Christian?
Does one have to believe in Jesus?
Are there any specific doctrine one MUST believe in?
Are we supposed to behave in any particular way?
Are we supposed to do anything particular?

What makes a Christian be a Christian?

According to Scriptures, the meaning of “Christian” means to be “of Christ” and a follower of Christ, while a disciple is one who follows a teacher (any teacher).

To be of Christ a person must first become “born-again” as per John 3, and he cannot make himself born again unless he is born from above (John 1:13). To become a “child of God” he must also have been predestined/elected to salvation before the foundations of the world.

Jesus declared, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me” (John 14:6).

AND

“No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day” (John 6:44).

So what is a Christian???...one who is saved and adheres to the Bible alone and in it's entirety is the word of God!

To God Be The Glory

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Scriptures, the meaning of “Christian” means to be “of Christ” and a follower of Christ, while a disciple is one who follows a teacher (any teacher).

To be of Christ a person must first become “born-again” as per John 3, and he cannot make himself born again unless he is born from above (John 1:13). To become a “child of God” he must also have been predestined/elected to salvation before the foundations of the world.

Jesus declared, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me” (John 14:6).

AND

“No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day” (John 6:44).

So what is a Christian???...one who is saved and adheres to the Bible alone and in it's entirety is the word of God!

To God Be The Glory

First called Christians in the church at Antioch, so Scripture says. Were they all born again? Weren't there wheat and tares in that church?
So maybe they were all baptized, and that should be the sign of a person being a Christian.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As has been said...we just ARE... :)
Yet as we know, out in the world, the word 'Christian' is not what it used to be at the beginning... it has become a dirty word to many 'out there.' So I never use it to describe myself. I use the word "Believer." I find people ask more questions when I say I am a believer...depending who I am speaking to, I sometimes say-
"I am a believing believer." ( Believer in action, not just passively 'waiting for heaven.' )

Acts 11:26 "And when he had found him, ( Saul/Paul) he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."
'Christian' was as it were ,a 'nick-name' for the followers of Jesus Christ put upon them by those who observed their walk and life.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
This was in my original post.

29 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.

Does that sound like Buddha or Krishna to you?

o
Yes. It sounds like Krishna.
I'm trying to get to what it means to be Christian.
Many religions believe in God.
Many who don't even know about religion, believe in God.
Romans 1:19-20

I guess I'd have to add to your posts that Jesus died and was resurrected and seen again.

THAT, I would say, makes Him unique.
The atonement also makes Him unique.
Who else died to forgive the sins of the world?
No one.