What is a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LoveBeacon

Dec 23, 2018
new york
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Basically, all that I am hearing is that "Everyone should agree, and that agreement should be as I see things...…. Not as THEY see things."

Which of us has the authority to say, "What I believe, is "right' for all of the rest of you." ?
Jesus has the authority. If we line up all of our beliefs and doctrines on Jesus, then only those that don't believe in Jesus will have a problem with His words.

Mark 8:38, "Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."

People tend to move away from Jesus and His words, so that is where the disagreement comes in.

BTW, no where do I say you have to agree with my interpretation. Where is that implied in my OP?
Very strange that you are thinking that since I am talking about uniting people together, my goal would be for me to get people to agree with my thoughts. Seems completely opposite to what the spirit of the OP is saying.
In peace

B

brakelite

Somehow I think God's definition of what constitutes a Christian might be somewhat more generous than our own. We would tend to catapult anyone who disagrees with us into the fast and wide lane to perdition...while Jesus would intercept them as the sail over the median strip and say, "Hey, slow down. I know him".

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christian (believer) is anyone who God has foreknown and predestined to be conformed the image of His Son (Rom. 8:29,30)

I hear people all the time say we need to be like the First Century Church but yet I see no one selling all they have..?? The church we need to be is one that is following our Shepherd and remaining unstained from the world and most importantly, Proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The word "Christian" has lost its value and meaning in todays time. Many profess to be a Christian but yet are not.

Reactions: Dave L

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christian (believer) is anyone who God has foreknown and predestined to be conformed the image of His Son (Rom. 8:29,30)

I hear people all the time say we need to be like the First Century Church but yet I see no one selling all they have..?? The church we need to be is one that is following our Shepherd and remaining unstained from the world and most importantly, Proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The word "Christian" has lost its value and meaning in todays time. Many profess to be a Christian but yet are not.
The reason the sold their possessions is because this is the image of Christ.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m certain there was a lot of economic diversity at that time, as well as today,this was truly an act of love a step toward equality.John was baptizing in the Jordan and said make straight the way of the Lord. The people replied what shall we do. Do you have two coats impart one to your brother who has none. This is not 10% this is 50%. What is your opinion?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Can you try giving a simple, clear answer? Thanks.
Sure. The answer is in John 1:12,13 (and many other passages):
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

A Christian is one who has experienced the New Birth and is a child of God.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure. The answer is in John 1:12,13 (and many other passages):
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

A Christian is one who has experienced the New Birth and is a child of God.
And does any mortal judge that?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And does any mortal judge that?
Mortals see the good works of the children of God and glorify God.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Mt 5:16)

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mortals see the good works of the children of God and glorify God.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Mt 5:16)
I do agree with that verse. I do also feel a sense of caution though-- that my (or any other mortal's) view is limited. It is the fallen man tendency to so quickly classify things on outward markers, when we really don't see the whole picture (including the heart).

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do agree with that verse. I do also feel a sense of caution though-- that my (or any other mortal's) view is limited. It is the fallen man tendency to so quickly classify things on outward markers, when we really don't see the whole picture (including the heart).
Only God knows hearts. Our job is not to sit in judgment.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We sure can witness fruit.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christian is someone who believes in the gospel as it is given to us in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4:

1Co 15:1, Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2, By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1Co 15:3, For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4, And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Christian is someone who believes in the gospel as it is given to us in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4:

1Co 15:1, Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
1Co 15:2, By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
1Co 15:3, For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4, And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
That’s simple enough.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Believe it or not ... the NT teaches us:
True saving faith = deep enduring heart belief
+ deep enduring trust + enduring obedience

There is no one word (in any language) which
encompasses everything that this word "believe" means.

Some Greek words can up to 40 different meanings,
depending on the context.

Some Greek words have a slightly different meaning
in the secular world than in the New Testament.

Don't take my word for it ... you need to research it yourself.

B

brakelite

I think a Christian in the long run will be anyone that Jesus does not say to, "I never knew you". Many claim to know Him...but the question we should be asking ourselves, is "does He know us?"