"What is Christian Theology?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
"Christian Theology What Is It?" The word "theology" comes from two Greek words meaning "God" and "word." Combined, the word "theology" means "study of God." Christian theology is the study of what the Bible teaches and what Christians believe. Many believers treat Christian theology as something that is dividing, something that should be avoided. In actuality, Christian theology should be uniting! The Word of God teaches truth and we are to be united behind that truth. Yes, there are disagreements and disputes in Christian theology. Yes, there is freedom to disagree on the non-essentials of Christian theology. At the same time, there is much that Christians should be united over. A Biblically-based Christian theology will enable us to better understand God, salvation, and our mission in this world.

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
IN the words of Bob Dylan, "YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO SERVE SOMBODY".. it might be the devil and it might be the LORD, but your gonna have to serve somebody...This was from the time of his Jewish raised midde aged conversion to Christianity... Did he really convert.. I think He did... did it stick? Only God knows... But either way the words he wrote duing that time are true... We all are serving someone, either satan or God...I am concerned for those who think they are serving God, but by their actions are not, but are serving the purposes of satan... are you attending a church that is teaching truth, or are they teaching the theories not so. The book of Revelations near the end contains this verse....Revelation 22:19 "And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." Are you believing and partaking of beliefs that take away from or add the the Bible... I supposse you can argue that the verse only applies to Revelation, but I say, if you believe in things not in the Word but are taught from "traditions of men" such as Rapture or that Adam and Eve were eating apples in the Garden... if you do not realize Scripture does not contadict itself and dig deeper to truly understand what is said... then you are not serving God...I do not feel I should judge anyone as to the state of their soul, for that is God's realm... but I can say this... I only want to serve God, believe his Holy Word in the clear light of what it actually teaches and desire sincerly to serve only the Holy God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. I hope you do too.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
I would like to out my two cents in, kriss.As Christians, everything we do ought to be benefit and godly for God's kingdom; if our theology, understanding and interpretation are not helping towards' God's kingdom it is not of God, it is of devil. It says so in many ways. I cannot list up all Scriptures come out of my heart but I know the Bible is all about God's kingdom and our salvation and God wants us to be His ambassadors. If our theology is not reflecting God's charactor, it is not of God.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I think many people do not fully understand that Christian theology has nothing to do with Religion or Church. Church is where you learn and study God words it can be under a tree, in your In your favorite chair, on the Internet or in a building, alone or with a group. where ever you study/learn you are in church. Everyone here goes to church if they study/learn the word. We tend to take the word Church to mean a building where we get together a practice our religion,but that is not its only meaning. It is however the modern most common meaning.Religion is something completely different it is a set of rules/rituals made by man to worship in a way men think fit according to their interpretation of scripture. Some are good some are bad. but the fact remains they are men's traditions. James 1:26-27 puts this in perspective James 1:26 If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.this verse is very plain that religion is a mans way of practicing their belief.And should not necessarily be discussed in same conversation with Gods Word the Bible. Now that doesn't mean if you learned something in church you should not talk about it. It means you weigh it against Gods word. And Gods word always trumps. It is important that people understand this difference between Church/religion and Christian theology.Christian theology is about learning/studying the word from Christian viewpoint, all things cornering Gods word it is NOT about religions, not about Churches (as we have come to use the term a building where we practice religion)When people come an try to talk their religion above the word of God is when the biggest conflicts occur. I'm not telling anyone they should not have a religion or go to church.Nor is this site anti religious in anyway. This is just not the best place to put to much emphisis on your religious belives. So please do not be offened when we ask you to stop talking your religion. Most pastors ext. only have a few hours a week to teach what he deems is revelant to the entire flock.There is more to Gods word than you have been taught. I'm saying that Christian Theology can NOT be confined or defined by any certain religious belief.Here on this site we will always strive to rise above the all the religions (men traditions) and go directly to the authority of the Word and we will not compromise because a religion taught something different than what Gods Word says.If we did so it would turn into a religious battle ground of what religion was the right religion.So we will strive to be a Christian theology Site.

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
This is where I do what God commanded through Paul to "not forsake the fellowship" Here is where my fellowship and partly my church is... I do study in other realms with other beleivers also.. but this is where my fellowship is...I do appreciate all of you. I may see things in a diffferent light sometimes.. I do have a different perspective from where God has taken me and shown me.. as do you.. we are all a part of the "body of Christ" if we were all big toes, we wouldn't function very well... Some of us are peacemakers, some warriors, some teachers, interceders... but we all have our gifts and reasons for being a part of this body. God looks on us all as the individuals He made...and as He made each of us different, so are our walks and relationships with Him..It doesn't make any of us more loved or more spiritual than the other.. For all have sinned and come short... but when we can recognize sin and repent, recognize that we do not "know it all", but even the most educated still has things to learn ... And if we have learned anything in err, be willing to see what the Word says , then I believe God is pleased with us.. That is what is important, not what you or I think, but what does God think? is HE happy? am I pleasing Him? if we can do both great.. if not, men will just have to be unhappy won't they?..

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
I can get with the concept that in Church you learn, but I never would have defined it as the place where you learn. I see the concept of assembly in the idea of Church. I see a people called. The metaphors of being a building/built and a bride and a body don’t suggest learning as the main thing to me. But you are right that we learn there. After all, in the Church some are given as pastors, some as teachers.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
your right in that concept B'midbar but I wasnt talking of the church of the bible as in the bride. I was refering to literal time spent with God and the word. If that makes sense

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.this verse is very plain that religion is a mans way of practicing their belief.And should not necessarily be discussed in same conversation with Gods Word the Bible.
On the front of it, it sounds like you are saying you wish to discuss theory and not praxis? If all you are trying to say is that scripture is your authority, I understand this concept.
smile.gif
I cannot imagine talking about Jesus in a vacuum, though. Faith expresses itself in deeds of love, in every moment of our lives. In prayer, in family, at work, at church, in our very interactions with each other at this site, etc. What is theology, without this? Maybe my confusion is that those two verses from James are about works, for me. They are about how we don’t want to be like the person who looks in the mirror and then walks away and forgets what he looks like. Going and sitting in a pew each Sunday, but then going home and beating your widowed mother is like that. Those two verses are not about avoiding discussing how to apply what you read. They are about being doers who act. They are about who we are inside. If we read the word for half an hour each day, but we refuse to help widows, that is the problem.I’m sorry, I do know I am probably missing your point, but I don’t know how to fix it. I do understand now that you are not talking about the Church. Are you trying to say you don’t want to talk about living the Christian life on this site? I can see that some topics are divisive, since Christians do not agree on many topics…

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
(B'midbar;10443)
I can get with the concept that in Church you learn, but I never would have defined it as the place where you learn. I see the concept of assembly in the idea of Church. I see a people called. The metaphors of being a building/built and a bride and a body don’t suggest learning as the main thing to me. But you are right that we learn there. After all, in the Church some are given as pastors, some as teachers.
I would like to offer my two cents.
smile.gif
first of all, I am sorry I did not get clear idear what you mean. so please correct me if I am off.We should always try to find those gifts God is giving us as His servants. We should be able to discern what they are practing according to the gifts. If we are not serving God with all our might by reading the Bible daily, we won't be able to siscern what those faithful ones are doing for God's purpose and end up hurting His work. we cannot cooperate with each other if we don't recognize each other's gift. I am talking about all His servants, not necesarily organizsed church buildings. IMHO, organized churches are hurting Gods' purpose a big time. That's why I don't join them. The Biblw says to have nothing to do with fruitless deeds. We won't be able to recognize the fruit if we are not wholeheartedly committed to God ourselves. Talk is easy.thank you:)

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
B'midbar I am a little confused that your having trouble understaning. Are you trying to maybe read something more than is stated? Iam not talking the spirtual church. I am basically stating that we are to use Gods word as our authority not what you practice in your religion which is commonly called your church.It matters not to us if you call yourself Baptist, Luthern, Catholic ext. All teach their own believes(traditions).We will use only the bible Gods word, if that contrdicts what your religion has taught you on any given subject. Then so be it. we will not comprimise Gods word because any religion doesn't agree.Christian theology is study of Gods word from a Christain perspective. Not a study on mens religious beliefs.Its a pretty simple message really, Example: if your religion says there will be a rapture, And Gods word doesnt say it. We will Go with Gods word not your religion. This is not a statement against or for your religion. It is a matter of Gods Word trumphs mens religions.Always. In all things Man can make a religion out of anything there is one group that thinks if you hold a rattlesnake and it dosen't bite you. You are acceptable to God because you defeated the serpant. This is not only a foolish thing to do. It is not biblical it is man twisting the Word to mean what he wants. This is why we must take Gods word over mens. Reguardless of who the man is and how reasonable and holy he makes it sound.

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
(Faithful1;10447)
The Biblw says to have nothing to do with fruitless deeds. We won't be able to recognize the fruit if we are not wholeheartedly committed to God ourselves.
Faithful, two cents is always good on a discussion board. :angel5: I see it is important to you, your concern about what goes on in “mainstreams”. For example, one thing that saddens me to watch is the struggles with homosexuality that seems to be going on in some. I mean questions like should active gays be ordained, stuff like that. Anglicans are split from within over this issue. Some of them seem to believe that homosexual joining is just like marriage, and has nothing to do with the bible. Others are adamant and realize the bible condemns it. A child growing up in those congregations, what might they end up learning? There is so much besides homosexuality that could be talked about, but this is one that has saddened me.Your points remind me of something I’ve seen happen, that if a person is not fully committed or maybe not fully mature, they will have a harder time recognizing people by their fruits. Some “teachers” sound very wise and smart, but are really of no use to us. In Proverbs, the woman says to people, “stolen water is sweet.” By this I understand that some teachers or seducers will tell you something wrong, or a half-truth, and you can end up believing lies. Such people prey on those who have no grounding. Here is the full quote:
Proverbs 9:13 The woman of folly is boisterous, She is naive and knows nothing. 14 She sits at the doorway of her house, On a seat by the high places of the city, 15 Calling to those who pass by, Who are making their paths straight: 16 "Whoever is naive, let him turn in here," And to him who lacks understanding she says, 17 "Stolen water is sweet; And bread eaten in secret is pleasant." 18 But he does not know that the dead are there, That her guests are in the depths of Sheol.
Somehow, this is also coming to mind
2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4 and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
(kriss;10459)
I am basically stating that we are to use Gods word as our authority not what you practice in your religion which is commonly called your church.
Thanks, kriss. This time I’m sure I understood you. It is as I thought; you are talking about scripture as your authority. This is what I assume for sites like yours, anyway.
smile.gif
Also, you don’t want to spend your time talking about Mormon temple rituals, for example, or what they teach. I understand.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(B'midbar)
Also, you don’t want to spend your time talking about Mormon temple rituals, for example, or what they teach. I understand.
That's true...If I remember correctly...their Mormons temple rituals teaches "Baptizing for the dead" Um, that is so not true in the bible. The Bible doesn't say it...but man.I Corinthians 15:29 - Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?I Corinthians 15:33 - Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.This is why we must have God/Jesus (Yahshua) as our Final Authority...not religion. (James 1:26)Psalm 118:8 - It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(B'midbar;10463)
Thanks, kriss. This time I’m sure I understood you. It is as I thought; you are talking about scripture as your authority. This is what I assume for sites like yours, anyway.
smile.gif
Right B'midbar glad you understand:) Sometimes its just not as obvious as the Morman rituals and people get upset like the confusion of Easter and Passover. So I was just clairifying our postion.