What is impossible for God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In an attempt to be clearer the thread (unless I’ve misunderstood) is the question of is there anything impossible for God. (Imo) it is either no or yes? Mark 10:25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

With men it is impossible but with God all things are possible.
Then a contradiction (to me at least) is one thing is impossible which is if they have tasted of the gift and been made partakers with the Holy Spirit and fall away to renew them again to repentance seeing they put Him to an open shame crucifying Him afresh.

if that is impossible then how can it be all things are possible for God with an exception? How can one be true that nothing is impossible for God but at the same time it is impossible for God to renew them again to repentance? o_O The Topic then being is there anything impossible...is it yes or no in all things are possible for God?

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like Abraham climbing the mountain to sacrifice his miracle son, trusting!
It's one thing to trust God for groceries. If I go hungry today, maybe I'll eat tomorrow. Trust Him for my finances, OK, maybe I'll have a late payment or two.

It's another thing to trust Him at times like that, when, IF He were to fail us, we will fall, far, fast, and hard!

I think of trusting God like living in freefall. It's like, the bottom has ALREADY fallen out, but I'm still floating along.

Much love!

Reactions: amadeus

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems unrelated but your post makes me consider blood. Unless I’ve misunderstood not sure it says he sweated great drops of blood ...but instead in agony His sweat was like great drops of blood that fell upon (to)the ground...following mention of the cup Luke 22:44 Lexicon: And being in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground.

Luke 22:20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

I realize that is random but it is something Imo. Point though is in saying nothing is impossible for God ...then that one verse so often said to be impossible for God. To renew them again to repentance if they fall away...then the verses on unless a great falling away come first. Then we say we back slide and God renews us afresh when we return again. Over and over. Did Peter go away? If not then why did Christ tell Peter satan wants to sift you as wheat but when you return again...So still the question remains: is it impossible for God to renew them again to repentance if the fall away after they have tasted of the heavenly gift and been made partakers with the Holy Spirit. A lot of questions.
More than likely off topic, but what you said made me think of this...
and perhaps we could begin another thread..
but just an aside..

Gen 4:10 And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

I believe it's all connected in some way.
It is the story of redemption however you look at it.

Hugs

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More than likely off topic, but what you said made me think of this...
and perhaps we could begin another thread..
but just an aside..

Gen 4:10 And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

I believe it's all connected in some way.
It is the story of redemption however you look at it.

Hugs

agree it is off topic. Thankful though this morning for the reminder. Reminded it is often spoken of as ridiculous and far-fetch the mention of great drops of blood. I’ve read disputes on how that is impossible. But reminded it isn’t fairy tales but substance is there. Agree in connection there...even to (Genesis 3:17-19) and God saying I will water and keep it. Just thinking...no need for a thread as I’d get lost in it, but am thankful for the reminder.

Reactions: Ziggy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve always had a question about the impossible in Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, [5] And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, [6] If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Impossible ...if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance? With all things are possible with God. Also have questioned seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame...with ‘despising the shame’ in Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

I guess my question is: if one has tasted of the Heavenly gift and made partaker with the Holy Spirit and after falls away is it impossible with God to renew them again to repentance? For me it is a question on topic with is there anything impossible for God?
If we fall away like that alone we are finished... but we do serve a merciful God who may hear us and overturn that finished state in which find ourselves. God is always paying attention

Consider King David when committed adultery and effectively had her husband murdered. For either one of those offenses the penalty under the law given by God to Moses was death and David when confronted with his sin by the prophet Nathan knew that when he spoke here... but hear also what the prophet said:

"And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the LORD. And Nathan said unto David, The LORD also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die." II Sam 12:13

In spite of his sins, God saw something in David and had mercy on him. Our God is like that always looking into our hearts and rendering a judgement which often may also contain mercy when He sees it is warranted. This is why that final judgment should always be left to God alone! Only He is capable of seeing all and understanding all of the facts of anyone's case.

Don't expect always the clear cut black and white answer as per the verses you quoted from Hebrews. That may indeed be it for a person... but is God without mercy? What is in our heart? Is it possible for God to have mercy on us or on someone we know in spite how black things may seem?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's one thing to trust God for groceries. If I go hungry today, maybe I'll eat tomorrow. Trust Him for my finances, OK, maybe I'll have a late payment or two.

It's another thing to trust Him at times like that, when, IF He were to fail us, we will fall, far, fast, and hard!

I think of trusting God like living in freefall. It's like, the bottom has ALREADY fallen out, but I'm still floating along.

Much love!
Just always remember my friend that 'Today is the day that the Lord hath made'. We, all of us, want to concern ourselves too much with 'after a while' and 'tomorrow'. Without God's help in us, we cannot easily get rid of this tendency men have for worrying about what may [or may not?] come later. If we are walking with God, will He not Light up our next step for us? Forget about steps to be taken after that one until each one in its turn becomes the next step... Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow for you or me may never arrive. Today is the Day! Now!

Abraham did not dwell on how God might handle the promises to be fulfilled through Isaac. He simply was being obedient to God right now. We cannot second guess God and we should not be trying nor should we be tempting him even base on of what is written.= in scripture. Remember that Satan tried to use scripture against Jesus...

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If impeccable, then Jesus was never our example, because He had an advantage over us. Though human, He lived as deity... He did not, if impeccable use faith, because all He needed to do was live according to His own natural power to overcome. And yet saying that, if impeccable, He had nothing to overcome. Temptation was a farce, a useless exercise and a sham.
The scriptures plainly declare,
KJV Romans 1:3
3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
If born of the seed of David, Jesus was born of fallen sinful flesh... This did not make Him a sinner as taught by Catholicism under the guise of so called original sin... Whereby it is taught we inherit the actual guilt and sin of Adam, as opposed to the weaknesses and mortality of the flesh of the human race.
KJV Romans 8:3
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

It wasn't without good reason that those who accept the peccability of Christ day that Jesus can empathize with us for that reason. The scripture actually tells us exactly that...

KJV Hebrews 2:16-18
16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, ( this isn't just in looks) that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

As the above said, Christ suffered through temptation. The temptation was serious, it was dangerous, it was a genuine threat, and He faced it throughout His life. If impeccable, what suffering could there possibly be?
wrong Adam also had an advantage over us as well no sinful nature created perfect.

your argument is a strawman plus Adam was not God

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the crux of your post is this statement of yours "...The clear teaching of Scripture is that Jesus was impeccable—Jesus could not have sinned. If He could have sinned, He would still be able to sin today because He retains the same essence He did while living on earth..."

As a side note before I get to my point, I have an issue with your potentially misleading phrase "..He retains the same essence He did while living on earth.." Although this is not what I'm writing to you about, and to be ignored.

Now I really do not know your true intention of writing this statement, although it has the makings of a strawman and a false misleading premise because it lacks the most important ingredient.

You never attempted to show the real meat of it, why Yahshua could not sin whilst on earth.

As you know he was the 2nd and final Adam. Does this have any significant meaning to you? You know we do not know how long since the First Adam was created, when he sinned. I would wager it was between his teenaged years and becoming an old man of say 400 years. And another question, did the First Adam have an affinity to sin since his creation?

And then how long was Yahshua on this earth, say 33 years. This might be a hint and the reason why he did not sin. And even further, since his anointing, as a man say of 27-30 years old, he truly possessed the mind and the voice of his Father per scripture. This also has to be very significant regarding why Yahshua never sinned.

Just saying...these are the immediate thoughts on this subject.

Bless you, and it has the makings of a great Day

APAK
Fact- God cannot sin. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are Impeccable.

To say the Son is pecs let us to accuse God of being mutable instead of Him being Immutable/ Changeless. As per Colossians 1:19 and 2:9 He remained fully snd completely God with all the same divine attributes as the Father and Holy Spirit.

hope this helps !!!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fact- God cannot sin. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are Impeccable.

To say the Son is pecs let us to accuse God of being mutable instead of Him being Immutable/ Changeless. As per Colossians 1:19 and 2:9 He remained fully snd completely God with all the same divine attributes as the Father and Holy Spirit.

hope this helps !!!
It did not help me see your point(s) you introduced in your last post, at all.

You completely ignored the contents of my post.

I can only presume and then infer, along with you ignoring my text, that you are determined to defend your truth based on extra-biblical sources, that forces upon you a completely different YHWH, the Father, and Yahshua, his Son and Messiah, as our Master and Savior.

APAK

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just always remember my friend that 'Today is the day that the Lord hath made'. We, all of us, want to concern ourselves too much with 'after a while' and 'tomorrow'. Without God's help in us, we cannot easily get rid of this tendency men have for worrying about what may [or may not?] come later. If we are walking with God, will He not Light up our next step for us? Forget about steps to be taken after that one until each one in its turn becomes the next step... Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow for you or me may never arrive. Today is the Day! Now!

Abraham did not dwell on how God might handle the promises to be fulfilled through Isaac. He simply was being obedient to God right now. We cannot second guess God and we should not be trying nor should we be tempting him even base on of what is written.= in scripture. Remember that Satan tried to use scripture against Jesus...
This remains a struggle for me, to just live in the moment. I was focusing on that not too long ago driving to work this morning, as thoughts started crowding into my mind.

I only need enjoy the moment with the Lord. Yes, He will light our next step. Straighten out our path.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If impeccable, then Jesus was never our example, because He had an advantage over us. Though human, He lived as deity... He did not, if impeccable use faith, because all He needed to do was live according to His own natural power to overcome. And yet saying that, if impeccable, He had nothing to overcome. Temptation was a farce, a useless exercise and a sham.
The scriptures plainly declare,
KJV Romans 1:3
3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
If born of the seed of David, Jesus was born of fallen sinful flesh... This did not make Him a sinner as taught by Catholicism under the guise of so called original sin... Whereby it is taught we inherit the actual guilt and sin of Adam, as opposed to the weaknesses and mortality of the flesh of the human race.
KJV Romans 8:3
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

It wasn't without good reason that those who accept the peccability of Christ day that Jesus can empathize with us for that reason. The scripture actually tells us exactly that...

KJV Hebrews 2:16-18
16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, ( this isn't just in looks) that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

As the above said, Christ suffered through temptation. The temptation was serious, it was dangerous, it was a genuine threat, and He faced it throughout His life. If impeccable, what suffering could there possibly be?
What was the difference between Jesus walking here as a man of flesh and the first Adam before he disobeyed God?

Adam was tempted and succumbed to it sinning.

Jesus was tempted but never yielded to the temptations. Could he have? I do really believe so. Adam was clean and Jesus was clean at their beginning of their respective times as men of flesh. Adam dirtied himself. Jesus overcame the desires to dirty himself. The last battle against the temptations in his flesh were, as I see it, won in the Garden of Gethsemane, here:

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

After that he still needed to go to the cross and die, but his own flesh and the ways of his flesh had been completely defeated. No more temptations for Jesus! He had overcome the world of temptation in the son of man, Jesus.

First see the confirmation by Jesus here:

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Jesus did not overcome planet Earth nor did he overcome the worlds for each of us, but he was readying himself in order to open up the Way and to provide access to the power that each us could do what he did.

And then the clarification here:

"And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world,..." John 17:11

Jesus was still on planet Earth and still had to go to the cross to die, but he was no longer in the world of those temptations, which when followed lead people to sin. John describes them here:

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever." I John 2:16-17

For Jesus the "world" of temptations was gone. We, however, as per John 17:11 are, each one us, still in our own little world of temptations until and if we have by the power of the Holy Spirit in us overcome as Jesus did! Who at this moment is like with Jesus no longer in that "world"?

Is it impossible for the Holy Spirit in us to overcome that world before the dirt is thrown over our faces? Jesus did it before he died physically. What kind of a limit should we put on the power of God?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is impossible for God to be a liar.

Totally untrue! The Bible has many examples of God lying starting with Adam and Eve, Pharaoh and even ordering others to lie. 1 Kings 22:21-22. When God 'hardened' Pharaoh's heart, it meant he deceived Pharaoh from his own good judgement.

Deception is a vital part of warfare and make no mistake. God is at war with sin and evil. They don't call God, THE LORD OF HEAVEN'S ARMIES, for nothing.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It did not help me see your point(s) you introduced in your last post, at all.

You completely ignored the contents of my post.

I can only presume and then infer, along with you ignoring my text, that you are determined to defend your truth based on extra-biblical sources, that forces upon you a completely different YHWH, the Father, and Yahshua, his Son and Messiah, as our Master and Savior.

APAK
All theology proper begins with the nature of God who is Triune. God is Immutable. The Incarnation did not change His Divine Nature and or Attributes.

hope this helps !!!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In an attempt to be clearer the thread (unless I’ve misunderstood) is the question of is there anything impossible for God. (Imo) it is either no or yes? Mark 10:25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

With men it is impossible but with God all things are possible.
Then a contradiction (to me at least) is one thing is impossible which is if they have tasted of the gift and been made partakers with the Holy Spirit and fall away to renew them again to repentance seeing they put Him to an open shame crucifying Him afresh.

if that is impossible then how can it be all things are possible for God with an exception? How can one be true that nothing is impossible for God but at the same time it is impossible for God to renew them again to repentance? o_O The Topic then being is there anything impossible...is it yes or no in all things are possible for God?
If we say, yes, He can do anything with no exceptions, then we must have the faith of Abraham in his effort to sacrifice his own son. How can the answer be absolutely, yes, with no exceptions?

Man's logic is the problem as man insists on using his logic to explain all of the things of God. It cannot be done... Faith toward or in God is not considered by the logic, the science or the math that men normally use. What was God telling us when He gave Isaiah the following words to write?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

God's plan included always faith and consider how faith is described here:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

Consider in men's mathematics they needed to have a square root for a "-1". I believe they assigned the letter, "i", to be that square root, but what man is able to really wrap his mind around the concept? Is understanding God and things of God simpler than that? Yes and no. But a whole lot of people insist trying to explain clearly, the clearly unexplainable.

If God gives you or me an understanding in our hearts with regard to God Himself and the things of God, that is good, but that does not mean we can give that understanding to someone else who simply does not understand!

Very simply do not insist on applying any of man's rules or definitions or limitations of restrictions to God. If God says that 1 plus 1 equals 3, believe it even though you cannot really see it!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
agree it is off topic. Thankful though this morning for the reminder. Reminded it is often spoken of as ridiculous and far-fetch the mention of great drops of blood. I’ve read disputes on how that is impossible. But reminded it isn’t fairy tales but substance is there. Agree in connection there...even to (Genesis 3:17-19) and God saying I will water and keep it. Just thinking...no need for a thread as I’d get lost in it, but am thankful for the reminder.
Do you remember what I wrote on here some time ago about the white blood and the red blood? It was originally started or amplified in a discussion between me and Guiliano. I will look for it...as it may pertain to your question here.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All theology proper begins with the nature of God who is Triune. God is Immutable. The Incarnation did not change His Divine Nature and or Attributes.

hope this helps !!!
The insistence on God being a Trinity is also at best by faith. Who knows with perfect understanding the nature of God? You say the triune nature of God is the proper beginning, but is that not a presumption based on belief? I would not get into it here, but it does connect with all things being possible for God.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The insistence on God being a Trinity is also at best by faith. Who knows with perfect understanding the nature of God? You say the triune nature of God is the proper beginning, but is that not a presumption based on belief? I would not get into it here, but it does connect with all things being possible for God.
Any other God a person believes in is an idol/ false god who cannot save anyone.

And I will 100% insist upon this truth/fact until my last breath on this earth .

hope this helps !!!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

hope this helps !!!
So you say... and again this does not help me as I do not need this type of help. I guess your words help you know the nature of God.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any other God a person believes in is an idol/ false god who cannot save anyone.

And I will 100% insist upon this truth/fact until my last breath on this earth .

hope this helps !!!
You must follow what is in your heart. Is it from God? That is between you and Him. God has not told me anything about what you believe. I know what I believe. You insist on calling it knowledge/truth/fact, but remember there are people, believers, as well as unbelievers, who do not see what you do.

Our vision, I believe, comes from God, but until we see it all clearly it is a mixed blurry or as through a glass darkly kind of vision. containing things not from the right hand of God. The "face to face" is how we really want it be. Too much inflexibility, as I understand it, will put a roadblock in front of God Himself for us.

"Where there is no vision, the people perish:.." Prov. 29:18