What Is Marriage?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, I simply stated the truth. There's nothing written in the scriptures that Adam and Eve had sex while in the Garden of Eden. This statement I just said is true. If there is anywhere written in the scriptures that Adam and Eve had sex while in the garden of Eden, show me.

Even when people agree with you...you still do not get it.

There is nothing in the Bible that says they united in the Garden. Read this 50 times so you it get in your head.
There is nothing in the Bible that says they did not unite in the Garden.
There is nothing in the Bible that says it would have been wrong for them to unite in the Garden.
Now how Christ described it by saying, "What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Now the word joined brings up another point. Joined physically, as in.....and shall be joined (or cleave) unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. What did God mean when He said, He had Joined them and Adam had joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh? Is this a handshake? Of course the words marriage or wedding does not occur in the Genesis account of the Garden and the conversation is much more about the physical with no mention of a ceremony.

Then we get into the context of the statement...Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh. Well, Adam and Eve did not have a father and mother, so how much of this conversation is not about what is going on in the Garden, or rather relationships that would occur later? That is speculative.

But we do know, that God told them to be fruitful and multiply, while they where in the Garden. If God was talking directly to them....we do not know why they would wait. Did they tell Him to kiss off! Did they ignore Him? Did they not hear Him? Maybe they were not attracted to each other and they were holding out for someone else? Or was there more to the conversation than what was written in the Bible. All in all, if all that was said while they were in the Garden is written in the Bible....not much was said in the Garden.

And just for the fun of it, I will tell you that the phrase "Garden of Eden" is a mistranslation. Have fun with that!

So we simply do not know, so you can believe whatever you want....but you cannot say you know....that would be a lie.
And I can say I believe they did, but if I say I know....then I am lying.
And we can also say with some confidence that God had the power and authority to call them them man and wife, regardless if they joined or not.

So after the Garden, how did the relationships progress. It was not long after that, that polygamy and concubinage started up as common relationships and eventually was regulated by the Mosaic Law. Then again, before the Mosaic Law, marriage was common among kinfolk....For example, Sarah was Abraham's half sister....having the same father who had more than one wife and Abraham had a wife and a concubine. Genesis 15:6 says, "And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness." But again the Mosaic Law had nothing to say about weddings. Because all through the Old Testament men and women joined together to form marriages, and because of that, they did not have to come up with a word for wedding in their language.

So I do not care if you believe that Adam and Eve did not unite in the Garden.
And I am going to say, I do not know, because the Bible does not say either way.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You talk about assumptions as though you're not making assumptions. Show me where it's written where they did have sex while they were in the Garden of Eden. You won't find anywhere were it's written that Adam and Eve had sex while they were in the Garden of Eden. When they were expelled from Eden yes we have it written down they had sex. So when I say we have no evidence that they had sex when they were in the garden of Eden, that's because we have nothing written in the scriptures that they did. Anyone saying they did are the ones making assumptions. I'm simply going by what's written in the scriptures.

Well if you read my pposts you would have seen I said that was an assumption as well as yours! But that requires you reading my posts!

But your line was to make the assumption they didn't have sex. I said we don't know and we shouldn't make an assumption like you di and then I did to counter your guess. Don't you even remember what you write?????????

Tone

Dec 24, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, this thread has become a rather grim area...

Btw..."grim area" is an anagram of the word "marriage"...

The two (partners) must be absolutely committed...that's for sure.

Reactions: April_Rose

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, in having sexual relations before the formal arrangement of marriage corrupts it, being the same as having sex with a prostitute,

Fantasy religions must be fun! And you know...freedom of religion...? Right? But why bother reading the Bible if you are going to make stuff up as you go along. At least look it up in the Bible! Find a scripture that says not to have sex before a wedding or a "formal arrangement"

In the Old Testament things were a little gruff. Men "took" wives. There was no such thing as "dating" Christianity was mostly still arranged marriages. The union consummated the marriage. If no one had sex before the wedding, then there would have been no marriages....OT and NT. Because there were no requirement for weddings in the biblical era.

Don't get me wrong....You think anything goes now....They lived in an era of everything goes, beyond your wildest imagination. Living around the Romans was kinda like that. The Jews and Christians had their own erro-synchronies but they were opposed to open sex....everywhere.

Jewish women were property and not allowed to go anywhere alone...women going to the well in groups.
Christian women were not much different.

Your concept that sex corrupts is sad. Christianity does not promote casual sex. But you cannot get married without it...funny as it is, that is still true today. The wedding is traditional...it does not marry you...if you do not join after a wedding....in most states and countries, you can get the marriage annulled.

There is very few people on this forum that is going to support casual sex. But sex is not dirty, nasty, and sinful. Sexual relationships are about respect...respect for yourself and respect for the other person. People think that sex is dangerous today...try living in a time period without antibiotics or other medicines. Two people that are in love should make the decision to stay together before they make love.

People and religion would like to have a guarantee or religious shackles....but the fact is there are no guarantees and people resent shackles. If we spent more time focusing on the love that binds instead of processes and paperwork...maybe marriages would have a higher rate of success.

Marriage was not "consummated" when the couple had sexual relations, but as it says of Joseph and Mary: " Then Joseph woke up from his sleep and did as the angel of Jehovah had directed him (in a dream, Matt 1:20-23), and he took his wife home. But he did not have sexual relations with her until she gave birth to a son, and he named him Jesus."(Matt 1:24, 25)

So, when Joseph took Mary to his home, this made their marriage valid, being approved by God.(Note: God's personal name is Jehovah, Isa 26:4) In the "Old Testament" or Hebrew Scriptures were notations of what wicked men did, or that which Jehovah allowed, such as Abraham having sexual relations with his Egyptian servant girl at the insistence of Sarai (or Sarah) in order for her to have children, because Sarai was barren.(Gen 16:1-4)

Until the arrival of Jesus, Jehovah permitted multiple wives, regulating it through the Mosaic Law covenant.(Deut 21:15-17) Women were looked upon as "merchandise", so that if a man could, he would just any woman he wanted.(Gen 12:14-20; 20:1-3) At Genesis 6, angelic sons of God wrongfully materialized as men, noticing "that the daughters of men were beautiful. So they began taking as wives all whom they chose", producing the Nephilim.(Gen 6:2-4)

It became an accepted custom that a man could have as many wives as he wanted, such as David having at least six (2 Sam 3:2-5), though later when he moved to Jerusalem, he took more.(1 Chron 14:3) His son Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (or perhaps secondary wives).(1 Kings 11:3) Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.(2 Chron 11:21)

But when Jesus arrived as the promised Messiah in 29 C.E., he "set matters straight" regarding marriage, telling the wicked Pharisees who sought a divorce on any sort of ground: "Have you not read (at Gen 2:24) that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female and said: ‘For this reason a man (singular) will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife (singular), and the two (not three or four or five) will be one flesh’? So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart."(Matt 19:4-6), that of one man as a husband with one woman as his wife, as was the original marriage arrangement established in the garden of Eden and that will remain in force forever.(Ge 2:20-24)

For those who wants to have sexual relations before marriage or outside of marriage, then hear what the apostle Paul wrote to the Colossians: "Deaden, therefore, your body members that are on the earth as respects sexual immorality, uncleanness, uncontrolled sexual passion, hurtful desire, and greediness, which is idolatry. On account of those things the wrath of God is coming. That is how you too used to conduct yourselves in your former way of life. But now you must put them all away from you: wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, and clothe yourselves with the new personality, which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it."(Col 3:5-10)

And at Revelation 21:8, it reaffirms what Paul wrote to the Colossians, that any immoral person will be destroyed, thrown into the symbolic "lake of fire". Only when a person "strips off the old personality with its (immoral) practices" and clothes themselves with the new or clean personality can they have an everlasting future, those who allow themselves to be "taught by Jehovah".(John 6:40, 45)

Otherwise, just as Jehovah told Adam for his disobedience, that "for dust you are and to dust you will return", so that he died and will never see life again, so likewise of everyone who is not morally clean in Jehovah's eyes, returning to the "dust" as they were before they were conceived in the womb.(see Isa 66:23, 24)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marriage was not "consummated" when the couple had sexual relations, but as it says of Joseph and Mary: " Then Joseph woke up from his sleep and did as the angel of Jehovah had directed him (in a dream, Matt 1:20-23), and he took his wife home. But he did not have sexual relations with her until she gave birth to a son, and he named him Jesus."(Matt 1:24, 25)

So, when Joseph took Mary to his home, this made their marriage valid, being approved by God.(Note: God's personal name is Jehovah, Isa 26:4) In the "Old Testament" or Hebrew Scriptures were notations of what wicked men did, or that which Jehovah allowed, such as Abraham having sexual relations with his Egyptian servant girl at the insistence of Sarai (or Sarah) in order for her to have children, because Sarai was barren.(Gen 16:1-4)

Until the arrival of Jesus, Jehovah permitted multiple wives, regulating it through the Mosaic Law covenant.(Deut 21:15-17) Women were looked upon as "merchandise", so that if a man could, he would just any woman he wanted.(Gen 12:14-20; 20:1-3) At Genesis 6, angelic sons of God wrongfully materialized as men, noticing "that the daughters of men were beautiful. So they began taking as wives all whom they chose", producing the Nephilim.(Gen 6:2-4)

It became an accepted custom that a man could have as many wives as he wanted, such as David having at least six (2 Sam 3:2-5), though later when he moved to Jerusalem, he took more.(1 Chron 14:3) His son Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (or perhaps secondary wives).(1 Kings 11:3) Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.(2 Chron 11:21)

But when Jesus arrived as the promised Messiah in 29 C.E., he "set matters straight" regarding marriage, telling the wicked Pharisees who sought a divorce on any sort of ground: "Have you not read (at Gen 2:24) that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female and said: ‘For this reason a man (singular) will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife (singular), and the two (not three or four or five) will be one flesh’? So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart."(Matt 19:4-6), that of one man as a husband with one woman as his wife, as was the original marriage arrangement established in the garden of Eden and that will remain in force forever.(Ge 2:20-24)

For those who wants to have sexual relations before marriage or outside of marriage, then hear what the apostle Paul wrote to the Colossians: "Deaden, therefore, your body members that are on the earth as respects sexual immorality, uncleanness, uncontrolled sexual passion, hurtful desire, and greediness, which is idolatry. On account of those things the wrath of God is coming. That is how you too used to conduct yourselves in your former way of life. But now you must put them all away from you: wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another. Strip off the old personality with its practices, and clothe yourselves with the new personality, which through accurate knowledge is being made new according to the image of the One who created it."(Col 3:5-10)

And at Revelation 21:8, it reaffirms what Paul wrote to the Colossians, that any immoral person will be destroyed, thrown into the symbolic "lake of fire". Only when a person "strips off the old personality with its (immoral) practices" and clothes themselves with the new or clean personality can they have an everlasting future, those who allow themselves to be "taught by Jehovah".(John 6:40, 45)

Otherwise, just as Jehovah told Adam for his disobedience, that "for dust you are and to dust you will return", so that he died and will never see life again, so likewise of everyone who is not morally clean in Jehovah's eyes, returning to the "dust" as they were before they were conceived in the womb.(see Isa 66:23, 24)

You are wrong. Find a requirement for a wedding Old or New Testament. All you have to do is read the Bible. Christian weddings did not start for centuries after Christ. As far as Joseph marrying Miriam...you have to know something about Jewish culture. Luke 3:5
Still engaged just before Christ's birth. As I have pointed out before, even today, if you do not have sex after a wedding you can get the marriage annulled.
You can believe that Christ was UFO caption, I do not care. But what you believe is not biblical.

What you have got going on in your head is wrong again. Polygamy and concubinage was lawful...try reading the Mosaic Laws. God took credit for David's wives.

You keep putting your foot in your mouth....try studying a little bit. Neither Yahweh or Yeshua put a stop to polygamy, concubinage or slavery. A woman's father controlled who she married. A requirement for a woman to consent to a marriage did not occur for over a thousand years after Christ's ministry. There is no "dating" in this time period. Jews practiced polygamy and concubinage for a thousand years after Christ's ministry. And there were polygamous Christians. What you believe is not biblical or historical. And no one's name in the Bible started with a J or J sound. The letter and it pronunciation did not occur for another 1400 years after Christ and was not in common use until the latter part of the 1500's.

But when Jesus arrived as the promised Messiah in 29 C.E., he "set matters straight" regarding marriage, telling the wicked Pharisees who sought a divorce on any sort of ground:

The conversation between Yeshua (a Jew) with the Jews, about the Jewish law...Mosaic Law, had little to do with Christianity. Christianity did not have a letter of divorcement.

Since there were no weddings required in the OT or NT you are saying no one was married. I have explained this several times in this thread so I am not going to go into it again. Go look it up. And fornication has a few meanings but what you are referring to...if two people have sex and stay together they are married...casual sex is fornication. Weddings traditions come from Pagan sources, that is why we have so many Pagan traditions in our weddings. The Pagan converts -- Gentiles-- eventually adopted the Roman template for weddings.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for weddings! But back dating your beliefs and trying to imply they are biblically is just delusional.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know you dance to every tune Kingdom Hall plays for you.
You can knock the kingdom Halls of Jehovah Witnesses all you want, you can knock the watchtower all you want when I say, "there is no evidence in the scriptures that Adam and Eve had sex when they were in the Garden of Eden." I don't go by anybody's speculation or assumptions. When anyone says it's possible that Adam and Eve had sex in the Garden of Eden, that's an assumption, that's speculation. When I say there is no evidence in the scriptures that Adam and Eve had sex in the Garden of Eden, that's a fact, that's evidence, not speculation or an assumption because there isn't anywhere in the scriptures that shows they did have sex in the Garden of Eden. People can say something like, "maybe God didn't want us to know that peace of information," or something similar, but still that's speculation, that's an assumption. They choose to go by what they think, not by evidence of the scriptures. That's what I find interesting about people, is that they believe what they think is scriptural, or what they assume is scriptural. I will continue to say there is no evidence in the scriptures, that Adam and Eve had sex while they were in the Garden of Eden.
So Adam and Eve were husband and wife even though at the time God brought Eve to Adam they didn't have sex until sometime after being expelled from the Garden of Eden. So when a man and woman goes to someone who has authority to marry someone and goes through that process of getting married, then, right then they are married, they are husband and wife. Two single people can have sex as much as they want but that doesn't make them married, not even in the eyes of God. They're practicing sexual immorality but they're not married.
During the time of the ancient hebrews if a hebrew man had sex with a hebrew mans virgin daughter but he hadn't gone through the process of the Hebrews of attaining a wife, the father of the virgin daughter had the legal right by hebrew law to force the man to pay the bride price but he didn't have to give his daughter to him as a wife, he could if he wanted to but he wasn't require by hebrew law to do so. It would depend on the situation what the father of the virgin daughter would decide.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can knock the kingdom Halls of Jehovah Witnesses all you want, you can knock the watchtower all you want when I say, "there is no evidence in the scriptures that Adam and Eve had sex when they were in the Garden of Eden." I don't go by anybody's speculation or assumptions. When anyone says it's possible that Adam and Eve had sex in the Garden of Eden, that's an assumption, that's speculation. When I say there is no evidence in the scriptures that Adam and Eve had sex in the Garden of Eden, that's a fact, that's evidence, not speculation or an assumption because there isn't anywhere in the scriptures that shows they did have sex in the Garden of Eden. People can say something like, "maybe God didn't want us to know that peace of information," or something similar, but still that's speculation, that's an assumption. They choose to go by what they think, not by evidence of the scriptures. That's what I find interesting about people, is that they believe what they think is scriptural, or what they assume is scriptural. I will continue to say there is no evidence in the scriptures, that Adam and Eve had sex while they were in the Garden of Eden.
So Adam and Eve were husband and wife even though at the time God brought Eve to Adam they didn't have sex until sometime after being expelled from the Garden of Eden. So when a man and woman goes to someone who has authority to marry someone and goes through that process of getting married, then, right then they are married, they are husband and wife. Two single people can have sex as much as they want but that doesn't make them married, not even in the eyes of God. They're practicing sexual immorality but they're not married.
During the time of the ancient hebrews if a hebrew man had sex with a hebrew mans virgin daughter but he hadn't gone through the process of the Hebrews of attaining a wife, the father of the virgin daughter had the legal right by hebrew law to force the man to pay the bride price but he didn't have to give his daughter to him as a wife, he could if he wanted to but he wasn't require by hebrew law to do so. It would depend on the situation what the father of the virgin daughter would decide.

This one you finally got right...I am not sure if you understand it.
The daughter is the property of the Father and it supersedes all marriage rights. If the man had taken her virginity then she was damaged goods and the man had to pay for her virginity. A non-virgin girl in the Hebrew society was not likely to find anyone interested in marrying her. Marriage in the OT is about paying for property and taking custody of property. If a man paid the bride price and found his wife not to be a virgin, he could kill her and lay her at her father's doorstep. If a woman was raped in the city and she did not cry out, she would be executed along with her rapper. It is a harsh world with harsh laws.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This one you finally got right...I am not sure if you understand it.
The daughter is the property of the Father and it supersedes all marriage rights. If the man had taken her virginity then she was damaged goods and the man had to pay for her virginity. A non-virgin girl in the Hebrew society was not likely to find anyone interested in marrying her. Marriage in the OT is about paying for property and taking custody of property. If a man paid the bride price and found his wife not to be a virgin, he could kill her and lay her at her father's doorstep. If a woman was raped in the city and she did not cry out, she would be executed along with her rapper. It is a harsh world with harsh laws.

Well I wouldn't call the law covenant represented harsh laws. The law covenant was from God and it was more than just the ten commandments. Since the law covenant was from God I believe it to be a list of just laws not harsh laws. The only ones I think who would consider the law covenant a list of harsh laws would be the lawbreakers.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I wouldn't call the law covenant represented harsh laws. The law covenant was from God and it was more than just the ten commandments. Since the law covenant was from God I believe it to be a list of just laws not harsh laws. The only ones I think who would consider the law covenant a list of harsh laws would be the lawbreakers.

I just gave you a few and if you do not consider them harsh...that is your character showing through. Killing a woman for being raped...go ahead, give us your word for that.
This is a marriage and I do not want to derail it....besides that, not much hope for common sense for you.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just gave you a few and if you do not consider them harsh...that is your character showing through. Killing a woman for being raped...go ahead, give us your word for that.
This is a marriage and I do not want to derail it....besides that, not much hope for common sense for you.

Well since I believe these laws you're talking about are part of the law covenant and therefore scriptural laws that God inspired men to write down, I don't believe God inspired men to write down harsh laws. The reason I say that is because most people when reasoning on the word, "harsh" they think of harsh as meaning cruel. I don't believe Gods laws to be cruel. They were just laws that were founded on love for God first, then love for mankind, especially toward the hebrew men and women.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well since I believe these laws you're talking about are part of the law covenant and therefore scriptural laws that God inspired men to write down, I don't believe God inspired men to write down harsh laws. The reason I say that is because most people when reasoning on the word, "harsh" they think of harsh as meaning cruel. I don't believe Gods laws to be cruel. They were just laws that were founded on love for God first, then love for mankind, especially toward the hebrew men and women.

So Barney thinks that executing a woman for being raped...is not harsh....and he using to word love to justify it. Ok.
This is Barney realizing he is out of his gourd!

glitteringGourd.png

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Barney thinks that executing a woman for being raped...is not harsh....and he using to word love to justify it. Ok.
This is Barney realizing he is out of his gourd![/Quote\]

Under the Law, if an engaged girl committed fornication with another man, both she and the man were to be put to death. But if the girl screamed for help, this was taken as proof of her innocence. The man was put to death for his sin in which he forced her, and the girl was exonerated.—De 22:23-27.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Oh my!
Deut 22:23-27-29 Is about rape!...not fornication! You really need to get someone to read you the Bible so they can explain it to you.

This is about rape in the city or in a rural setting of an engaged girl. If the rape occurs in the city and she does not scream, she dies along with her raper. Deut 22:28 Is about raping a girl that is not engaged and the penalty for that is that he must pay the father fifty shekels of silver and she must marry her raper. The injured party being the father, because his property was damage, so the raper has to pay more or less the price for virgins.

Anyone with a brain stem would understand that this is a horrible thing!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my!
Deut 22:23-27-29 Is about rape!...not fornication! You really need to get someone to read you the Bible so they can explain it to you.

This is about rape in the city or in a rural setting of an engaged girl. If the rape occurs in the city and she does not scream, she dies along with her raper. Deut 22:28 Is about raping a girl that is not engaged and the penalty for that is that he must pay the father fifty shekels of silver and she must marry her raper. The injured party being the father, because his property was damage, so the raper has to pay more or less the price for virgins.

Anyone with a brain stem would understand that this is a horrible thing!

The account at Deuteronomy 22:25-27 is not primarily about proving the man’s guilt, because that was acknowledged. This law focused on establishing the woman’s innocence. Note the context.

The preceding verses speak of a man who had sex with an engaged woman “in the city.” In doing that, he was guilty of adultery, since the engaged woman was viewed as married. What about the woman? “She did not scream in the city.” If she had done so, others would certainly have heard her and would have defended her. But she did not scream. Thus, she was sharing in the adultery, so both were judged guilty. Deuteronomy 22:23,24

The Law next outlined a different situation: “If, however, the man happened to meet the engaged girl in the field and the man overpowered her and lay down with her, the man who lay down with her is to die by himself, and you must do nothing to the girl. The girl has not committed a sin deserving of death. This case is the same as when a man attacks his fellow man and murders him. For he happened to meet her in the field, and the engaged girl screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.” Deuteronomy 22:25-27

In that case, the woman was given the benefit of the doubt. It was assumed that she “screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.” So she was not committing adultery. The man, however, was guilty of rape and adultery because he “overpowered her and lay down with her,” the engaged woman.
At Deuteronomy 22:28 This was a case of pressured seduction and/or fornication. If an unscrupulous man felt at liberty to have sex relations with a virgin, she would be the primary loser. Besides the possibility that she might have an illegitimate child, her value as a bride was diminished, for many Israelites might not want to marry her once she was no longer a virgin.
So this law, concerning the hebrew man who had humiliated the virgin girl that demanded the hebrew man to marry her and not allowed to divorce her protected her, because she could never be divorced nor could the hebrew man stop giving the woman her wifely due. It's also true in this situation that the father of this girl could refuse to allow this man to marry her even though the man would still have to pay the bride price.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The account at Deuteronomy 22:25-27 is not primarily about proving the man’s guilt, because that was acknowledged. This law focused on establishing the woman’s innocence. Note the context.

The preceding verses speak of a man who had sex with an engaged woman “in the city.” In doing that, he was guilty of adultery, since the engaged woman was viewed as married. What about the woman? “She did not scream in the city.” If she had done so, others would certainly have heard her and would have defended her. But she did not scream. Thus, she was sharing in the adultery, so both were judged guilty. Deuteronomy 22:23,24

The Law next outlined a different situation: “If, however, the man happened to meet the engaged girl in the field and the man overpowered her and lay down with her, the man who lay down with her is to die by himself, and you must do nothing to the girl. The girl has not committed a sin deserving of death. This case is the same as when a man attacks his fellow man and murders him. For he happened to meet her in the field, and the engaged girl screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.” Deuteronomy 22:25-27

In that case, the woman was given the benefit of the doubt. It was assumed that she “screamed, but there was no one to rescue her.” So she was not committing adultery. The man, however, was guilty of rape and adultery because he “overpowered her and lay down with her,” the engaged woman.
At Deuteronomy 22:28 This was a case of pressured seduction and/or fornication. If an unscrupulous man felt at liberty to have sex relations with a virgin, she would be the primary loser. Besides the possibility that she might have an illegitimate child, her value as a bride was diminished, for many Israelites might not want to marry her once she was no longer a virgin.
So this law, concerning the hebrew man who had humiliated the virgin girl that demanded the hebrew man to marry her and not allowed to divorce her protected her, because she could never be divorced nor could the hebrew man stop giving the woman her wifely due. It's also true in this situation that the father of this girl could refuse to allow this man to marry her even though the man would still have to pay the bride price.

I get it now. Whatever the scriptures say, it is more than just interpret it to be just the opposite. Scriptures enter your head and are put into a mental blender. Do you understand the facts? No you do not. Women as property....messed up! A woman forced to marry her raper...messed up! Law regulating polygamous marriages...messed up! A father celling his daughter as a sex slave...messed up! Daughters that were not attractive enough to attract a husband were sometimes sold off as general slaves. That is tradition.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get it now. Whatever the scriptures say, it is more than just interpret it to be just the opposite. Scriptures enter your head and are put into a mental blender. Do you understand the facts? No you do not. Women as property....messed up! A woman forced to marry her raper...messed up! Law regulating polygamous marriages...messed up! A father celling his daughter as a sex slave...messed up! Daughters that were not attractive enough to attract a husband were sometimes sold off as general slaves. That is tradition.
If you want to speak out against the scriptures go ahead. That means you're one of the True God enemies.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you want to speak out against the scriptures go ahead. That means you're one of the True God enemies.

Ok, I tell you what....try some of this and see what you get. You will either end up in prison or an insane asylum.
God taught humanity morality from the very beginning of the Bible. The morality taught in the NT was an advanced morality and after the close of the Bible...during the last 2000 years the Living Word of God continued to teach us even more advanced moralities. It is a progression through history.