What is meant by "rightly dividing the word of truth?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you don't believe Paul had any right to suggest such a thing, that the very idea is shameful...you'll have to ask him.

Meanwhile, are you asking the rest of us not to believe Paul had a reason to state it so? I for one believe he had a reason.

I believe Paul wrote what he said here because the Holy Spirit led him to write it.

No, I'm not asking anyone to not believe Paul.

What I am saying is, in our desire to rightly divide the Word of God we should recognize we can wrongly divide the Word of God for which we would be disapproved and should be ashamed. Just as Paul gives example of in (2 Tim. 2:15-18).

So when we set ourselves to study the Bible, to learn the truth of what that verse, that chapter, that Book is saying, we should pursue it knowing that it is possible to wrongly divide the Word of God. You see it all the time. People can take a verse and make it say something that it was never meant to say. No Scripture is of private interpretation. (2 Peter 1:20) No Scripture stands alone. It is to be interpreted in light of all other Scripture.

That is all I am saying. Begin your Bible study knowing that it is possible to wrongly divide. And strive to not do it.

Stranger

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4:12-13 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. [13] Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Mark 7:18-23 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him; [19] Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats? [20] And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. [21] For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, [22] Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: [23] All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

James 2:3-4 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: [4] Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

rightly dividing between our own ways and our own thoughts (Beneath)which lead to death or His ways and His thoughts (above)which lead to Life.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The only uncorrupted English language Bible in current use is the KJV, since the underlying manuscripts are the traditional Hebrew Masoretic text and the Greek Received Text. The King James 2000 Bible addresses the issue of archaisms.

Keep telling yourself that, maybe you will believe it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie T

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Impressive - thank you!

In order to be "rightly divided", the word of truth must certainly be divisible by some means. In other words, there is something about it that can be divided, and should be.

There is indeed.

To be able to “rightly divided” the word implies the ability to distinguish between right and wrong, truth and error, this is a lifelong lesson and requires much study not only in the word of God itself, but in the practical application of it in one’s life.

However speaking specifically of the word itself one way to rightly divide the Bible is to take note of its time divisions (the “times and the seasons”) as they relate to the outworking of God's plan for the recovery of the human race from sin and death. Many fail to do this and as such are led into all manner of errors. Some things apply to the Jewish age some to the Gospel age and some to the next age, the Millennial age, mixing them up is a common problem.

Always study the context thoroughly, look for certain key words, which designate the specific time period being referred to, such as “Then it shall come to pass”, “At that time”, In those days”, “After these things” and etc.

Another way of rightly dividing is distinguishing between a symbolic statement and a literal statement. Taking a too literal approach to the study of the scriptures is another all too common error.

The ability to distinguish between those things pertaining to natural Israel and those pertaining to spiritual Israel is another way of rightly dividing the word.

There are probably others but these are a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA and Willie T

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In Genesis 13, in the last verse, God tells Abraham to walk the length and breath of His Earth, as it is God's intent that that entity, God will give to Abraham and his descendants. In Genesis 12, God tells Abraham to walk in His Earth, that He will show him. Later, in this chapter, God Promises that He will also give this same entity, His Earth, to Abraham's descendants, and else were in the scriptures we are told that we can chose to be grafted into the same vine as Abraham's descendants.

In 2 Tim 2:15 we are told to correctly expound God's truth on how we can journey from where we initially establish ourselves in man's world, to the place in God's earth, which He created, as His desired place for people to reside.

Providing accurate information on the starting and finishing locations is very un helpful unless the story of the journey from the starting point to the finishing point is also told or given by those who are Christ's.

Sadly in todays world, the starting and finishing points are GPS defined, but knowing these co-ordinated does not help us to walk through the maze of many pathways to finish up at the entity place in God's earth that is His desire for us.

People who practice the "art" of surveying today are only recording the outcomes of their field work with out recording the journey between their way points along the way. The accuracy for their "work" today is provided by their "DGPS" stations as a means of protecting their "Copy right" of the generated "maps/plan" of what they have recorded. The old methods of surveying the lay of the land meant that there was found to be vacant and overlapping land areas in their recorded journey between their respective way points on their "map/plan" when all the sources are compiled into one model compilation of the many surveying works undertaken by all the surveyors over time. Sometimes the way points were corner wooden fence posts, or blazed onto a tree, but these were not permanent way points and they can disappeared with the ravages of time. To overcome this issue, way points often had hidden secondary points around them which would allow the way point to be re-established if it was disturbed.

Surveyors also understood that there would be/are errors in their observations, so they built into their models, areas, where their errors could be absorbed for the tenure titles they were defining. Some of these internal areas were roads, paths and permanently flowing streams and the external surrounding area was the encompassing seas and oceans.

Of particular concern were land shear occurrences, where relative shifts of up to 10 metres or more could occur along the basic line of the land shear. If we know the story of how the way points on either side of where the land shear occurred are related, then the legal title along the shear line can be reasonably repaired within acceptable limits.

This same understanding can be applied to our understanding of scripture and the "rightly dividing the word of {God's} Truth."

Many surveyors believe that their efforts are beyond reproach, while others are happy to admit the limitations of their understanding of their journey along the way between their way points.

God is interested in the story of our journey towards going to the place that He is drawing us to. He is continually showing us where that place is.
Many people attempt to tell/rightly divide the word of God's truth, but as God complained in Ezekiel : -

Ezekiel 34:17-19: - 17 'And as for you, O My flock, thus says the Lord God: "Behold, I shall judge between sheep and sheep, between rams and goats. 18 Is it too little for you to have eaten up the good pasture, that you must tread down with your feet the residue of your pasture — and to have drunk of the clear waters, that you must foul the residue with your feet? 19 And as for My flock, they eat what you have trampled with your feet, and they drink what you have fouled with your feet."​

I wonder how may of us will be found guilty of trampling and fouling that which was God's word to His flock through us.

Shalom

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Willie T

You are probably one of the few who would understand my post with respect to our/everybody's' theological impasses.

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would point out this first of all.

Can we not assume, due to this verse, that it is possible to 1.) wrongly divide the word of truth? 2.) And that for that we should be ashamed? 3.) And for that we would not be approved of God?

Stranger
Indubitably!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe Paul wrote what he said here because the Holy Spirit led him to write it.

What I am saying is, in our desire to rightly divide the Word of God we should recognize we can wrongly divide the Word of God for which we would be disapproved and should be ashamed. Just as Paul gives example of in (2 Tim. 2:15-18).

So when we set ourselves to study the Bible, to learn the truth of what that verse, that chapter, that Book is saying, we should pursue it knowing that it is possible to wrongly divide the Word of God. You see it all the time. People can take a verse and make it say something that it was never meant to say. No Scripture is of private interpretation. (2 Peter 1:20) No Scripture stands alone. It is to be interpreted in light of all other Scripture.

That is all I am saying. Begin your Bible study knowing that it is possible to wrongly divide. And strive to not do it.

Stranger
Both an excellent and sound caution!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
2 Timothy 2:15
"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

I might just come right out and say what is meant, but perhaps we could hear what others say.

What say you?
Simply put, I would say that it means to properly discern, perceive and understand God's word.

Don't jump to conclusions, don't be frivolous, to be self-serving or have an ulterior motive. All should be discerned to the Glory of God.
Therefore, in order to do so, one must establish disciplined study practices, i.e. follow basic hermeneutical principles (loose examples below),
Read God's word principally in a literal manner, with the allowance of typical literary conventions and cultural idioms, as in every day speech (don't practice hyper-literalism).
Read in context, in the following order: to the Bible as a whole, the historical time period, the Author, the Book, the Chapter, the pericope.
Understand textual criticism, that there are certain corruptions in certain versions (many disputed texts), but that overall, all versions offer something useful. And that a very good practice is to use many versions (best is to learn Hebrew & Greek).
Let scripture interpret scripture. BUT, make sure that you correlate passages correctly. Preference, let the inspired authors do the alluding for you, for too many fall into much free-style approaches, by correlating disparate texts that have no relevance to each other.

And this is one of my biggest grievances, do not claim that you have the Holy Spirit guiding you, for that is to claim infallibility.
Yes, we all understand that Jesus promised it to his flock, but it only comes with much humility and faith, and not every body has an equal measure of faith and/or gifts (1 Corinthians 12:28-30).
Simply present your case as respectfully to God's Word as you are able, and let others discern from where your inspiration came.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With the popular use of the term (usually among Mid Acts and some other dispensationalists) means making the proper distinction of what Scriptures pertain to who, when, and where. Thus not all Scriptures are written 'to us' even though all scripture is written 'for us' and our edification.

Reactions: marks

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously the Word of Truth is the written Word of God, from Genesis to Revelation. But we need to go back to the King James Version to bring out its meaning.

King James Version ?? (it's only a 'version', based as follows)

Henry VIII broke with Rome and formed the new Church of England in order to divorce Catherine of Aragon and marry the then pregnant Anne Boleyn.
Archbishop Cranmer was consequently instructed to set up a constitution for the new Church of England, and did so on the basis of his 39 Articles of Faith.
King James later instructed a group of 47 selected scholars to re-translate the Bible, but to principally ensure that the new version would conform to the existing eschatology and episcopal structure of the then Church.
That is what I read of the somewhat ‘dodgy’ background on which the KJAV is based.

Reactions: mjrhealth

Mike Waters

Jan 8, 2020
Holt
slideshowart2.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"There are more questions than answers. The more I find out, the less I know"

1) What really is the 'Word of Truth'...@Enoch111 is it really "obviously the written Word of God"?
Maybe it is ... but written where?
On parchment or in the "fleshy tables of a believers heart"? (Jeremiah, Corinthians, and Hebrews...you look it up)

2) What really is 'Truth'?
Is truth only and always 'Universally Absolute', or is God's Holy Spirit to be allowed to speak 'Personally Relevant' stuff into a Believer's heart at a time of his special and unique need? (not to suggest that 'Personally Relevant Truth' should ever conflict with 'Universally Absolute Truth').

IMO God also has to be allowed to speak into the hearts of those who die without ever getting to see a Bible or hear what we call 'The Gospel Message (Grunt only Amazon Forest dwellers for instance).
Or do you only believe in a 'God of the Mediterranean'; later to morph to other civilised regions?
And now I'm touching on the 'rightly divide' bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger
Thank you for the clarification. I wholeheartedly agree!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
2 Timothy 2:15
"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

I might just come right out and say what is meant, but perhaps we could hear what others say.

What say you?

Scott A,

The Greek, orthotomounta (from orthotomew), who "correctly handles" (found only here in NT), is a metaphor that means "holding a straight course" in the word of truth. Bauer, Arndt & Gingrich's Greek Lexicon refers us to the only other places where the word appears (the LXX of Prov. 3:6; 11:5) and is used to mean "cut a road across country (that is forested or otherwise difficult to pass through) in a straight direction."

So, "rightly dividing the word of truth" means to guide the Word of truth along a straight path – like a road that goes straight to its goal without being sidetracked by wordy debates and ungodly talk.

Paul's context (to 2 Tim. 2:15) suggests that he is warning against the sidetracks of deceiving interpretations in the teaching of Scripture.

"Thus Paul is not urging that Timothy correctly interpret Scripture but that he truly preach and teach the gospel, the word of truth, in contrast to the 'word battles' (v. 14) and 'godless chatter' (v. 16) of the others" (Fee 1988: 255).

Oz

Works consulted:

Bauer, W; Arndt, W F; & Gingrich, F W 1957. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and other early Christian literature. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press (limited edition licensed to Zondervan Publishing House).

Fee, G D 1988. 1 and 2 Timothy, Titus (New International Biblical Commentary). Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrikson Publishers.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply put, I would say that it means to properly discern, perceive and understand God's word.

Don't jump to conclusions, don't be frivolous, to be self-serving or have an ulterior motive. All should be discerned to the Glory of God.
Therefore, in order to do so, one must establish disciplined study practices, i.e. follow basic hermeneutical principles (loose examples below),
Read God's word principally in a literal manner, with the allowance of typical literary conventions and cultural idioms, as in every day speech (don't practice hyper-literalism).
Read in context, in the following order: to the Bible as a whole, the historical time period, the Author, the Book, the Chapter, the pericope.
Understand textual criticism, that there are certain corruptions in certain versions (many disputed texts), but that overall, all versions offer something useful. And that a very good practice is to use many versions (best is to learn Hebrew & Greek).
Let scripture interpret scripture. BUT, make sure that you correlate passages correctly. Preference, let the inspired authors do the alluding for you, for too many fall into much free-style approaches, by correlating disparate texts that have no relevance to each other.

And this is one of my biggest grievances, do not claim that you have the Holy Spirit guiding you, for that is to claim infallibility.
Yes, we all understand that Jesus promised it to his flock, but it only comes with much humility and faith, and not every body has an equal measure of faith and/or gifts (1 Corinthians 12:28-30).
Simply present your case as respectfully to God's Word as you are able, and let others discern from where your inspiration came.
Where I do concur with and appreciate most of your comment, perhaps this is a good place to address the biblical precedence of quoting scripture:

Unlike many of the would be scholastic manifestos that are presented to make the case of this or that interpretation of the scriptures, and those that go on and on with mounds of would be confirmations...none of that approach can be found in the bible.

On the contrary, even Jesus would be hard pressed to establish correct context for the brief snippets of scripture that He often quoted. As such, the actual precedence that the bible/scripture has to offer...is simply who quoted it, and what they declare it pertains to as confirmation of any kind. This of course is consistent with God's own declaration to confound the wise.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The basic meaning is of the word, "divide." It is not the mathematical term we all automatically think of. It was a "Surveying term" used to describe straight, clean, accuracy.
Paul was a tent maker, and this word means to make a straight cut.

He had to cut his fabric pieces into the right size and shape, cutting where he was supposed to cut, or his tents wouldn't be very straight.

Much love!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Paul was a tent maker, and this word means to make a straight cut.

He had to cut his fabric pieces into the right size and shape, cutting where he was supposed to cut, or his tents wouldn't be very straight.

Much love!

Both can be true, but a surveyor has no waste as he cannot add to or subtract from what is already there, he, to the best of his ability, faithfully records the story of what is there, whereas a tent maker ends up with "waste," after he has "divided" the fabric for the tent, which he discards as being useless for the purpose of his, i.e. the tent maker's, outcome.

cc:- @Willie T