What is Revival?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did some research. Hard to see if he repented or not.. Many preachers have hidden lives. I do not think we can take away from what they did. While their light is definately snuffed out as we see with him, and the church did what it should. I can say one of our elders is a former homosexual. who repented and came to Christ and now is happily married with three children..

God is great, he forgives even the worst sinners

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gods revival in Acts struck a couple to their death for lying to the Holy Spirit. That struck the fear of God in those in Acts. There was no fear of sinning in that movement imho.
Agreed. Without prophets there is no authority from God maintaining holiness in the revival.

Reactions: faithfulness

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His testimony is spotted. He's passed away. He'd repented, and later returned to it, and died from it. And as I understand it, repented later, nearer the end of his life.

These are deep and difficult issues, but being corrupted by sin, even horribly corrupted, doesn't mean God can't work His good, even so.

Much love!
let he who has no sin cast the first stone

Reactions: marks

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see the fruit still 50 years later. We can disagree, that's OK. And Pastor Chuck, who carried the ball down the field, did not teach "easy believism".

Much love!
I like pastor church and Greg Laurie

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does anybody on the forum have a personal experience or testimony to a revival?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did some research. Hard to see if he repented or not.. Many preachers have hidden lives. I do not think we can take away from what they did. While their light is definately snuffed out as we see with him, and the church did what it should. I can say one of our elders is a former homosexual. who repented and came to Christ and now is happily married with three children..

God is great, he forgives even the worst sinners
According to Pastor Chuck, he did repent, and they were reconciled to each other again.

Much love!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I witnessed one when a teacher had a sermon that really hit people where it counts. The outcome of that one teaching caused a great increase in outreach, evangelism, Discipleship. People wanting to be healed of sins. Our home churches grew. Many teachings after this only added to and empowered the first teaching even more.

it was a growth within the church..

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are no prophets or apostles today . John was the last one.

Hope this helps !!!
John who? Why limit God to there only being carnal religious people like you???

Without prophets there is no church of God. Only churches of men...controlled by men who have very little to no understand of eternal things....who stand against those who are spiritual in Christ.

Cessationism is based on unbelief and hanging out too long with other religious people.

What a combination... A cessationist AND a dispensationalist? It is like combining the body of a scholar with the mind of an athlete.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like pastor church and Greg Laurie
My previous pastor came up through the CC movement. I sat under him for 13 blessed years, the most loving man I've ever known. Someone to imitate.

I came into Calvary Chapel at the tail end of the "Jesus People" movement, 1975. I was 14. I wish I had stayed! There was still some of that fire burning, and I was very close to it, and I didn't really appreciate the beauty until so many years later. My life was out of control, ping ponging between my parents, and I wouldn't be reborn until 1980.

Though I wasn't a direct part, I've known very spiritual men and women who were a part of it, who have been wonderfully instrumental in my life.

Much love!

• Love
Reactions: Eternally Grateful

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 1:27-29 KJV
27) But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28) And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29) That no flesh should glory in his presence.

I'm thinking God used the man, even with his flaws.

Much love!
According to this , i guess i can go out and rob old ladies and banks , but so long as i can preach some truth all must be well .
On this you are wrong my friend . BY THEIR FRUITS YE SHALL KNOW THEM .
and a good tree dont produce SIN .
What is the fruit of the wicked . TO SIN
what is the fruit of the SPIRIT , its in all goodness , righteousness and truth
proving that which is ACCEPTABLE , TO GOD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 1:27-29 KJV
27) But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28) And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29) That no flesh should glory in his presence.

I'm thinking God used the man, even with his flaws.

Much love!
Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal? Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭2‬:‭21‬-‭22‬ ‭

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. Without prophets there is no authority from God maintaining holiness in the revival.
wrong the word of God, the Holy Spirit is sufficient for everything pertaining to holiness and a life of godliness. 2 Pet1:3-4 and God has called us to be holy for without holiness no one will see the Lord- Hebrews 12:14

hope this helps !!!

• Love
Reactions: Keturah

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to this , i guess i can go out and rob old ladies and banks , but so long as i can preach some truth all must be well .
That's not what I'm saying, I'd hope you know me better than that!

God uses some messed up dudes! That doesn't mean it's OK to sin.

Much love!

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No precious spiritual term has been watered down more than "revival." Revival expert J. Edwin Orr rightly claims that there were just 3 true revivals in the 20th century: the Welsh revival of 1904-06, the Azusa Street revival of 1908-11, and Hebrides revival of 1949-54.
Orr points out that in a REAL revival, the Holy Spirit falls PRIMARILY on unbelievers. Thus, in the Welsh revival there were 100,000 converts of the unchurched in just the first 4 months. In the Hebrides revival thousands of unchurched young people stormed churches in the first night, desperate to get right with God. All of this happened with no advertising or special preachers, but instead with endless hours of fervent prayer vigils. In these 2 revivals, churches were packed to suffocation nightly and people often stayed until 4 AM, feasting on God's presence in unstructured services led by the Spirit.

So now I pose the big question: Who are Christians who claim we need real revival so disinterested in the awesome documentaries that explain in detail the price paid by prayer warriors to trigger the Welsh, Azusa Street, and Hebrides revivals? I'm tired of reposting these videos online with no interest expressed.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Without prophets there is no church of God.
The prophets and apostles had already become the "pillars" of the Church when the Church began. There are no more genuine apostles and prophets, but the Church (the Body of Christ) has remained for over 2,000 years. Not a single church leader immediately after the apostles ever claimed to be either an apostle or a prophet! The New Apostolic Reformation (NAR) is a false movement claiming that they have apostles and prophets today, and that Christians must surrender to these imposters.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No precious spiritual term has been watered down more than "revival." Revival expert J. Edwin Orr rightly claims that there were just 3 true revivals in the 20th century: the Welsh revival of 1904-06, the Azusa Street revival of 1908-11, and Hebrides revival of 1949-54.
Orr points out that in a REAL revival, the Holy Spirit falls PRIMARILY on unbelievers. Thus, in the Welsh revival there were 100,000 converts of the unchurched in just the first 4 months. In the Hebrides revival thousands of unchurched young people stormed churches in the first night, desperate to get right with God. All of this happened with no advertising or special preachers, but instead with endless hours of fervent prayer vigils. In these 2 revivals, churches were packed to suffocation nightly and people often stayed until 4 AM, feasting on God's presence in unstructured services led by the Spirit.

So now I pose the big question: Who are Christians who claim we need real revival so disinterested in the awesome documentaries that explain in detail the price paid by prayer warriors to trigger the Welsh, Azusa Street, and Hebrides revivals? I'm tired of reposting these videos online with no interest expressed.
While God indeed operates spiritual renewal through revivals, we can't make the criteria about numbers, rather we should look at the depth of a particular move of God. The world looks at quantity...God looks at quality. From that perspective, there have been countless revivals, some big, but many smaller ones. The point is that God does what He wants when He wants. I myself have experienced 2 revivals...easily passed over except the eternal fruit these created.

One would have to dig deeper into the histories of specific regions to uncover the many revivals that have come...with so many going unnoticed by the larger society, and the church itself.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have known 2 revivals (so far) in my life. If it wasn't for the first one, I wouldn't be a disciple of Christ today.

That revival took place in the late 70's, early 80's on a street called "Bertrand" in St. Boniface, Manitoba. Many people were blessed by the fellowship that arose from that revival.

I didn't meet any of the people from the "Bertrand fellowship" (as it was called) for at least a year AFTER my own conversion, and only when a young man moved into my apartment block (a small 4 apartment building) downstairs. He was placing stickers everywhere...Jesus stickers... and had them on his door. So I knocked and asked him if he was a believer. He told me that he moved there to be close to the fellowship. That was the first I heard that there was a house church nearby.

The apartment I lived in was actually a corner building with its address on "Traverse" street. Now, I find it interesting that this was the place where I "traversed" into eternal reality.

The revival had lasted for a few years by the time I was convicted of my sins, just by walking down the street. That was in June 1980, I was 21...nearing my 22nd birthday. I was so grieving of my sins that I went to a catholic church...the religion of my youth...and entered into confession there...something I hadn't done in many years. I poured out tears of anguish at my sins. The poor young priest didn't know what to do with me. No consolation there, I began to read every book in my apartment until only a "reach out" NT was left. I decided to read it but prayed that God would show me if He was real. A few days into reading...and fasting (had no money)..I came to a place where the Holy Spirit was mentioned....and asked God...what is the Holy Spirit? The Spirit fell on me at that moment and I was filled with light. There was a light emanating forward from around my eyes (the helmet of salvation) and a light shimmering down from over my right shoulder. I wore that armour of light for days...witnessing on the street, and speaking to whoever would listen to me...which was no one.

I wanted out of that spiritual condition after a few days since it was NOT going away. God granted my request. When I came back down to my normal self I was depressed again...and more than ever, realizing how foolish I had been to not appreciate the miraculous walk God had given to me. I cried bitter tears and cried out to God to be permitted back into His light. That's when He spoke to me for the first time. Jesus said "you know where I am, follow Me". Additionally, He said "and before you die, you will walk like this again."

It took 18 years (I was back east in Montreal) before I experienced a second revival...first personal and then a year later a fellowship was born. We experienced the miraculous presence of God and many signs daily. So many visitors that God was sending from all over the world. We had 20 or so people staying with us and we never ran out of hot water...even though we only had the smaller 40 gallon tank. We found that strange since...years later..we had ONE young man staying with us and we lacked hot water all the time. :)

In the second revival I learned much about the deeper walk, church life, ministry, and the ways of God. Too many things to relate. I was able to remain in the elevated spiritual walk for 2 1/2 years or so. During that time...even my dreams were prophetic...never a regular carnal dream. I was being kept by the keeping power of God...walking in His purity.

If you haven't listened to the OP video, I encourage you to do so...to get more of the insights I have received from these experiences. :)

Last edited:

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
While God indeed operates spiritual renewal through revivals, we can't make the criteria about numbers, rather we should look at the depth of a particular move of God. The world looks at quantity...God looks at quality. From that perspective, there have been countless revivals, some big, but many smaller ones. The point is that God does what He wants when He wants. I myself have experienced 2 revivals...easily passed over except the eternal fruit these created.

One would have to dig deeper into the histories of specific regions to uncover the many revivals that have come...with so many going unnoticed by the larger society, and the church itself.
I agree with this. The Lord works how, when and where He pleases, in big ways and small. I believe revivals are the "times of refreshing" that is mentioned in the NT. They are not meant to grow up a flock spiritually, but are meant to encourage, re-inspire, re-energize and display the glory of God. As well as to harvest some souls into the kingdom, and get some tasks done like healing and deliverance that maybe weren't occurring very much apart from the revival. Maturing requires suffering and in a revival, even though life circumstances may be difficult for some individuals in the revival, a revival itself kind of takes away or ameliorates suffering, with everyone enJOYing God's presence so much. We don't tend to grow on the mountaintop experiences, but in the valleys. I think that's one reason revivals don't last very long, it is God's wisdom.......the Lord takes the enemy by surprise in the beginning but soon the flesh eventually starts to take everything over and that quenches the Spirit......but I wonder if it is all in God's wisdom ultimately, because we aren't in heaven yet and shouldn't expect really to be living in a heaven on earth all the time.