What is Revival?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I agree with this. The Lord works how, when and where He pleases, in big ways and small. I believe revivals are the "times of refreshing" that is mentioned in the NT.

Amen! :)
They are not meant to grow up a flock spiritually,

Without a window into the kingdom realm we would never know the level of walk that Jesus walked in. When we abide in Him we walk as He walked...at His level. So then I don't diminish the calling of God.
but are meant to encourage, re-inspire, re-energize and display the glory of God. As well as to harvest some souls into the kingdom, and get some tasks done like healing and deliverance that maybe weren't occurring very much apart from the revival.

Yes...a deeper work of God to initialize and re-energize what may have fallen into disuse.

Maturing requires suffering and in a revival, even though life circumstances may be difficult for some individuals in the revival, a revival itself kind of takes away or ameliorates suffering, with everyone enJOYing God's presence so much. We don't tend to grow on the mountaintop experiences, but in the valleys.

Purity is not maturity. Being right hearted doesn't mean we are right headed.
I think that's one reason revivals don't last very long, it is God's wisdom.......the Lord takes the enemy by surprise in the beginning but soon the flesh eventually starts to take everything over and that quenches the Spirit......but I wonder if it is all in God's wisdom ultimately, because we aren't in heaven yet and shouldn't expect really to be living in a heaven on earth all the time.
God wants purity AND maturity. When we are too far away we are brought near through revival. And that will last as long as we mature...and have PROPHETS to minister truth in real time.

The gifts of the Spirit are the constant revival. One of the main purposes of revival is to empower the church to walk in holiness. That is sustained by both the spiritual gifts and the maturity of those who have received those gifts.

The second revival I experienced lasted for years (Maybe 2 1/2) UNTIL the enemy was able to infiltrate and take away the purity of the presence of God. With more maturity, that revival would still be going...

God is ever present and His keeping power is real and trustworthy. What is lacking is faith and the kind of maturity that has adapted itself to the ways of God.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with this. The Lord works how, when and where He pleases, in big ways and small. I believe revivals are the "times of refreshing" that is mentioned in the NT. They are not meant to grow up a flock spiritually, but are meant to encourage, re-inspire, re-energize and display the glory of God. As well as to harvest some souls into the kingdom, and get some tasks done like healing and deliverance that maybe weren't occurring very much apart from the revival. Maturing requires suffering and in a revival, even though life circumstances may be difficult for some individuals in the revival, a revival itself kind of takes away or ameliorates suffering, with everyone enJOYing God's presence so much. We don't tend to grow on the mountaintop experiences, but in the valleys. I think that's one reason revivals don't last very long, it is God's wisdom.......the Lord takes the enemy by surprise in the beginning but soon the flesh eventually starts to take everything over and that quenches the Spirit......but I wonder if it is all in God's wisdom ultimately, because we aren't in heaven yet and shouldn't expect really to be living in a heaven on earth all the time.
Amen,

We have the account of Jesus and all he did. But I think sometimes we get complacent. Or different areas in our life affect our walk. And we do not always practice what Jesus did (walk as him) and we can really get in a rut. Or churches get stagnant and become lifeless. And we need these times of refreshing to remind us of where we came from. As the bible says, to remember our first love. To take us back to the cross. and remember the sacrifice made on our behalf.. Which will refresh us and push us forward..

I have witnessed this many a times, Not only in my life. But in my home group and my churches.. God is a great God

• Love
Reactions: marks and Lizbeth

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Episkopos.....I was a single mother at the time I came to the Lord at Easter 1986 in a small Brethren church that my uncle and aunt attended. I remember hearing the name of Lonnie Frisbee somewhere back in those early days though don't remember anything specific that was said about him at all.

I wonder though, how a prophet would have dealt with someone's sinful lifestyle of drug use and homosexuality. When I think of Paul and how he dealt with sins in the Corinthian church, I think a prophet would have tried to confront Lonnie and ultimately not allowed sexual sins and drug use of anyone in the churches, especially not in a leadership role. And those with pastoring gifts would have been praying over him and for him, and counselling him.....casting out demons too I would guess. Not turning a blind eye but battling to try and help him get free.

And I wonder whether he was taking communion without examining himself. Thinking about what Paul wrote about those who were falling asleep for partaking of the Lord's supper without examining themselves and repenting of sins. And actually on the other side of the coin communion is a spiritual weapon when someone examines themselves in this way and judges themselves....it is a kind of refreshing of Christ's sacrifice to us.....there is power in it (not by transubstantiation as the Catholic church says, but it is by proxy - God has ordained it so He accepts the bread and wine as if it were the body and blood of Jesus).

Though it sounds like in this situation everyone was mostly young and untaught in the scriptures as of yet, so this is why it would have been a hodge podge. There is never a problem with God and what HE is doing, but there is always a problem with us flawed humans that He is trying to deal with. He pours out His Spirit on flawed people and we are the ones who make a mess of things, so it is only to His glory that anything gets accomplished at all really. Reminds me a bit of Elijah pouring not one but two good douses of water on the altar and still the fire of God came down and burned up the sacrifice.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Episkopos.....I was a single mother at the time I came to the Lord at Easter 1986 in a small Brethren church that my uncle and aunt attended. I remember hearing the name of Lonnie Frisbee somewhere back in those early days though don't remember anything specific that was said about him at all.

I wonder though, how a prophet would have dealt with someone's sinful lifestyle of drug use and homosexuality.

Actually Lonnie only fell into homosexuality after his divorce and after the churches had rejected his overbearing desire to see God move ALL the time. I take this as he not having any other facet of the Christian walk to fall back on. He despaired and he had been molested as a child by a neighbour who babysat him. So there was no hint of being a him being homosexual during his ministry days. He lived with a brother for years...and no hint at all.
When I think of Paul and how he dealt with sins in the Corinthian church, I think a prophet would have tried to confront Lonnie and ultimately not allowed sexual sins and drug use of anyone in the churches, especially not in a leadership role. And those with pastoring gifts would have been praying over him and for him, and counselling him.....casting out demons too I would guess. Not turning a blind eye but battling to try and help him get free.

The church desperately needs true prophets. Without prophets the churches are a mess....relying on carnal men who push their way into leadership positions. Men who are reprobate concerning the faith.
Though it sounds like in this situation everyone was mostly young and untaught in the scriptures as of yet, so this is why it would have been a hodge podge. There is never a problem with God and what HE is doing, but there is always a problem with us flawed humans that He is trying to deal with. He pours out His Spirit on flawed people and we are the ones who make a mess of things, so it is only to His glory that anything gets accomplished at all really. Reminds me a bit of Elijah pouring not one but two good douses of water on the altar and still the fire of God came down and burned up the sacrifice.
All heart no head exemplifies the church that can't progress beyond the times of revival. Like a car that won't start even as it is turned over and over. We are to be renewed in our minds AT THE LEVEL of revival. There are too many "mature" reprobates.

Reactions: faithfulness

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually Lonnie only fell into homosexuality after his divorce and after the churches had rejected his overbearing desire to see God move ALL the time. I take this as he not having any other facet of the Christian walk to fall back on. He despaired and he had been molested as a child by a neighbour who babysat him. So there was no hint of being a him being homosexual during his ministry days. He lived with a brother for years...and no hint at all.

The church desperately needs true prophets. Without prophets the churches are a mess....relying on carnal men who push their way into leadership positions. Men who are reprobate concerning the faith.

All heart no head exemplifies the church that can't progress beyond the times of revival. Like a car that won't start even as it is turned over and over. We are to be renewed in our minds AT THE LEVEL of revival. There are too many "mature" reprobates.
The problem is most who call themselves prophets usually have a hidden agenda. And when you actually sit and listen to them. What they say does not jive with what the word of God says.

God spent many centuries putting together his love letter to us. He said it was finished When someone comes saying God has given them a new vision or new words outside of scripture. We Should reject because the only thing we can use to prove they are speaking for God is the completed word he gave us

I know God has gifted people to see things in peoples lives, and these could be called prophets.. But they are not the heads of churches. And we should use their gift as one of many Gifts which are in the church

As paul said, Christ is the head. After him, each part must work in unison for the body to work.. Take one part away and the body is damaged, Hurt, Can not function completely as it should.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not what I'm saying, I'd hope you know me better than that!

God uses some messed up dudes! That doesn't mean it's OK to sin.

Much love!
Look at paul . He went from persecutor of the Church
to one of the biggest evangelizers of the gospel .
Let us notice something . Paul did not hold on to his old ways and sin .
That is the difference .
Not only that but he continually reminded against sin
and the old man . And he even reminded the peoples , If you say one should not steal , DO YOU steal .
So he exposed hyprocrisy too . Not saying you do this , but many do .
THEY justify those who live double lives . They try and make it SEEM like someone who is living the homosexual lifestyle
IS still serving GOD . Paul was changed and so is every lamb .
No lamb would ever justify sinful behavoir . Yet just because certain ones
can pray , or volunteer at church or do good works , EVEN if they live in sin , these leaders try and act as though
they know and love God .
And more so they try and act as though muslims , buddists , atheists , hindus and whateverdos
LOVE GOD . THEY dont . SEE , if one truly Loved GOD , THEY would have LOVED CHRIST .
We cannot love GOD and then follow another religion , DENYING CHRIST .
IF even the jews who had torah and the prophets got called out for this , THEN SO TOO should every false religion
and path be called out as a lie .
And JESUS told the unbelieving jews , IF YE LOVED GOD YE WOULD have LOVE ME FOR I came FORTH FROM GOD .
And if people are like i once was , still loving my sin , then its also mouth only faith .
Just a friendly reminder to all .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It matters not why man falls into sin or back into sin .
The real reason is THE HEART .
You try and make excuses for him . Rather we ought to try and correct any evil behavoir .
Never make excuse for it . Correct it .
The problem with man is THE HEART . GOD can change that heart . POINT TO HIM and TO HIS CHRIST
and never make excuse for why one falls into SIN . Rather correct it .

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The problem is most who call themselves prophets usually have a hidden agenda. And when you actually sit and listen to them. What they say does not jive with what the word of God says.

The bible was written by prophets. Think about that.
God spent many centuries putting together his love letter to us. He said it was finished When someone comes saying God has given them a new vision or new words outside of scripture. We Should reject because the only thing we can use to prove they are speaking for God is the completed word he gave us

We are not talking about a religion and sacred writings...but a living breathing connection to God with miracles taking place all the time. The church of God...with prophets...is the pillar and ground of THE truth. A man-made church is the pillar and ground of A truth (usually misunderstood).
I know God has gifted people to see things in peoples lives, and these could be called prophets.. But they are not the heads of churches. And we should use their gift as one of many Gifts which are in the church

That's not what a prophet is. A prophet is one that lives in an eternal reality...connected with God. When something takes place the prophet is there to reflect the Lord's mind...judgment on that. When Peter told Ananias and Sapphira they had lied and they fell dead...Peter was acting as a prophet. Are people ready for the church of God? Are people ready for the New Covenant? I think most are waiting until after they die.
As paul said, Christ is the head. After him, each part must work in unison for the body to work.. Take one part away and the body is damaged, Hurt, Can not function completely as it should.
And God has placed prophets in a pivotal role so that where 2 or 3 are gathered there is Christ in presence and authority.

To me, a Christian is not such in truth unless he/she wants God's presence and authority to push out ALL the human ideas and infiltration.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes indeed . And every prophet or teacher , leader or even prophesy must be TESTED and always .
Even when folks prophesy , the others are to test it .
And if it does not agree with the bible , It gets rejected .
The TRUTH is GOD does speak through people . like a word of knowlege
or a revelation , a tongue , or etc . BUT It must always be tested against BIBLICAL TRUTH .
Test the spirits and do so always . For many decievers do abound and no man is infallible ,
all must be tested . Even peter and barnabas and others got caught up in a dissusmlation of an error .
Yet paul corrected it .
The problem with some is , they seem themselves or their so called prophets as the HEAD , as It can speak no and do no wrong .
AND THAT IS a major problem .
As you well know ./

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are not talking about a religion and sacred writings...but a living breathing connection to God with miracles taking place all the time. The church of God...with prophets...is the pillar and ground of THE truth. A man-made church is the pillar and ground of A truth (usually misunderstood).

That's not what a prophet is. A prophet is one that lives in an eternal reality...connected with God. When something takes place the prophet is there to reflect the Lord's mind...judgment on that. When Peter told Ananias and Sapphira they had lied and they fell dead...Peter was acting as a prophet. Are people ready for the church of God? Are people ready for the New Covenant? I think most are waiting until after they die.

And God has placed prophets in a pivotal role so that where 2 or 3 are gathered there is Christ in presence and authority.

To me, a Christian is not such in truth unless he/she wants God's presence and authority to push out ALL the human ideas and infiltration.
Yes it was inspired by GOD through the SPIRIT .
But when a prophet , a leader , or anyone comes along
and then twists that inspired truth into something contrary to IT . THEY Dont get heeded .
Too many men of today call themeselves this or that , only when they get tested
they fall far short of the mark . The Torah and prophets POINTED to CHRIST .
The apostles pointed to the dire need to believe on HIM .
YET today we got prophets that point rather to a social gospel and have omitted the dire need
to BELIEVE on HE whom GOD did send . Dont think for a second that prophet will be heeded . IT wont .
So many claim new revelation . Now as i said above GOD still speaks through people ,
But when the so called new revelation contradicts what I KNOW was TRUE REVELATION OF GOD
IT GETS DENIED . EPI , start over and learn thy bible well. Learn THAT CHRIST
Cause the new revelation i keep seeing sounds just like this new revelation of pope francis and the all inclusive social gospel .
WHICH I KNOW WONT SAVE ONE SOUL that buys into it . ITS CHRIST or its all vain no matter if it has good works
JESUS and no good works AINT CHRIST , but all the good works without faith in HIM , AINT HIM EITHER EPI .
Even cornelious a man on fire for the LORD had to still hear words whereby HE could be saved .
IF even HE had to hear and believe , ALL DO . Just like JESUS said .
Cornelious loved GOD , for when he heard that gospel from peter , HE BELIEVED .
But if a man hears and believes not , THEY DO NOT LOVE GOD .
FOR had they loved GOD they would have LOVED HIS CHRIST . FOR JESUS CAME FORTH FROM GOD .
Lets not give atheists and buddists and whateverists FALSE HOPE . PREACH CHRIST or its all vain .
Preach CHRIST and tell those who do BELIEVE , HAVE GOOD WORKS cause faith that is dead is dead .
But again PREACH THE DIRE NEED TO BELIEVE ON HIM , for so called good works without faith in Christ will not save them .
The early church knew CHRIST , they knew GOD . and they sure went around preaching BELIEVE ON HIM
and when folks rejected that , THEY shook the dust off and said things like YOUR BLOOD BE UPON YOUR OWN HEAD .
Do read acts again . Paul didnt go preaching a social works gospel to the people , He didnt . HE PREACHED BELIEVE YE IN
JESUS CHRIST . Exactly . Paul did not go around preaching hey lets all just find common ground ,
HE PREACHED BELIEVE YE IN JESUS CHRIST .
Paul did not go around in the streets hollering let us all just come together , it dont matter what religion ye serve
lets just find common ground in good works . HE PREACHED BELIEVE YE IN JESUS CHRIST .
I sure hope this SINKS in .

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes it was inspired by GOD through the SPIRIT .
But when a prophet , a leader , or anyone comes along
and then twists that inspired truth into something contrary to IT . THEY Dont get heeded .
Too many men of today call themeselves this or that , only when they get tested

That's the culture. Look at how many people here make all kinds of claims based on imagination. It's an American phenomenon. Maybe you need to travel a bit.
they fall far short of the mark . The Torah and prophets POINTED to CHRIST .
The apostles pointed to the dire need to believe on HIM .

You are not understanding what the church is supposed to be. You're stuck on a religious treadmill doing the same loops over and over again. each of your posts is basically just a re-run.
YET today we got prophets that point rather to a social gospel and have omitted the dire need
to BELIEVE on HE whom GOD did send . Dont think for a second that prophet will be heeded . IT wont .

Prophets don't operate on shallow levels of belief. maybe you don't appreciate that. You see very satisfied with religion.
So many claim new revelation . Now as i said above GOD still speaks through people ,

Revelation comes from God...a real connection. To religiously dead people God is the bible.
But when the so called new revelation contradicts what I KNOW was TRUE REVELATION OF GOD
IT GETS DENIED . EPI , start over and learn thy bible well. Learn THAT CHRIST
Cause the new revelation i keep seeing sounds just like this new revelation of pope francis and the all inclusive social gospel .
WHICH I KNOW WONT SAVE ONE SOUL that buys into it . ITS CHRIST or its all vain no matter if it has good works or not .
Religion only makes you THINK you are saved. Go to the cross...

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's the culture. Look at how many people here make all kinds of claims based on imagination. It's an American phenomenon. Maybe you need to travel a bit.

You are not understanding what the church is supposed to be. You're stuck on a religious treadmill doing the same loops over and over again. each of your posts is basically just a re-run.

Prophets don't operate on shallow levels of belief. maybe you don't appreciate that. You see very satisfied with religion.

Revelation comes from God...a real connection. To religiously dead people God is the bible.

Religion only makes you THINK you are saved. Go to the cross...
You preach RELIGION epi , you think your social gospel saves .
I preach JESUS CHRIST , AND I KNOW HE SAVES .

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I see the fruit still 50 years later. We can disagree, that's OK. And Pastor Chuck, who carried the ball down the field, did not teach "easy believism".

Much love!
Pastor Chuck? Smith?

Chuck Smith was a Christian fundamentalist pastor whose appeal to disillusioned hippies of the Haight Ashbury era fuelled the rise of the “Jesus movement” of the 1970s and inspired the introduction of religious worship into pop culture.

I'm not into Pentecostalism or the charismatic movements/revivals--

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible is completed. think about that
God does not need prophets to do this. I see a living breathing God work through people all the time. The church of God with Christ as the head and all the special gifts are the pillar and foundation of truth.

That's not what a prophet is. A prophet is one that lives in an eternal reality...connected with God.
lol. We should all be connected to God. We are not in OLD testament times where only certain people are connected.
When something takes place the prophet is there to reflect the Lord's mind...judgment on that. When Peter told Ananias and Sapphira they had lied and they fell dead...Peter was acting as a prophet. Are people ready for the church of God? Are people ready for the New Covenant? I think most are waiting until after they die.
Peter was an apostle. And he knew that they had lied. Any pastor, anyone who knew what they did could have told them the same thing
There is no mention if prophet there/ Jesus said were 2 or three of ANY of his children are there, he is there also.. Please do not add to the word
Thats why we have the word of God. To test all spirits to see if they are from God. and to Study to show ourselves approved, a workman who is not ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth.

That does not just go for me, that goes for you.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You preach RELIGION epi , you think your social gospel saves .
I preach JESUS CHRIST , AND I KNOW HE SAVES .
I preach a living God...not a man-made religious god. I preach a God of encounter, of empowerment. All you have is an idea of an afterlife... like all the pagan religions that have gone before. While you wait your Valhalla...there is a whole heaven to walk in right now. There is an abiding with Christ in a place prepared for those who love Him and wait for Him.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I preach a living God...not a man-made religious god. I preach a God of encounter, of empowerment. All you have is an idea of an afterlife... like all the pagan religions that have gone before. While you wait your Valhalla...there is a whole heaven to walk in right now. There is an abiding with Christ in a place prepared for those who love Him and wait for Him.
No, You teach religion. You speak of a living God. Your god has no power. Your followers do nto go to church, anbd one has admitted she has never walked in the spirit..

That's not power my friend..

God changes lives, Daily and hourly.. His people grow. they walk with him. they are not looking for a higher place. they are living in it..

Pagans tell us to look for a higher plain. or a higher place. God tells us to seek that place but live right here..

Reactions: ChristisGod

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, You teach religion. You speak of a living God. Your god has no power. Your followers do nto go to church, anbd one has admitted she has never walked in the spirit..

That's not power my friend..

God changes lives, Daily and hourly.. His people grow. they walk with him. they are not looking for a higher place. they are living in it..

Pagans tell us to look for a higher plain. or a higher place. God tells us to seek that place but live right here..
2 Tim. 3;7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Reactions: faithfulness

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No precious spiritual term has been watered down more than "revival." Revival expert J. Edwin Orr rightly claims that there were just 3 true revivals in the 20th century: the Welsh revival of 1904-06, the Azusa Street revival of 1908-11, and Hebrides revival of 1949-54.
Orr points out that in a REAL revival, the Holy Spirit falls PRIMARILY on unbelievers. Thus, in the Welsh revival there were 100,000 converts of the unchurched in just the first 4 months. In the Hebrides revival thousands of unchurched young people stormed churches in the first night, desperate to get right with God. All of this happened with no advertising or special preachers, but instead with endless hours of fervent prayer vigils. In these 2 revivals, churches were packed to suffocation nightly and people often stayed until 4 AM, feasting on God's presence in unstructured services led by the Spirit.

So now I pose the big question: Who are Christians who claim we need real revival so disinterested in the awesome documentaries that explain in detail the price paid by prayer warriors to trigger the Welsh, Azusa Street, and Hebrides revivals? I'm tired of reposting these videos online with no interest expressed.
Excellent point and Pentecost fell on the unbelieving Jews and 3000 were converted .

Reactions: marks

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bible is completed. think about that

God does not need prophets to do this. I see a living breathing God work through people all the time. The church of God with Christ as the head and all the special gifts are the pillar and foundation of truth.

lol. We should all be connected to God. We are not in OLD testament times where only certain people are connected.

Peter was an apostle. And he knew that they had lied. Any pastor, anyone who knew what they did could have told them the same thing

There is no mention if prophet there/ Jesus said were 2 or three of ANY of his children are there, he is there also.. Please do not add to the word

Thats why we have the word of God. To test all spirits to see if they are from God. and to Study to show ourselves approved, a workman who is not ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth.

That does not just go for me, that goes for you.
Notice none of the Apostles identify themselves as prophets . A coincidence ? Nope.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another post filled with falsehoods. So " IF " you are a prophet that makes you a false prophet.

As a teen he became involved in the drug culture as part of his spiritual quest, and at fifteen he entered Laguna Beach's gay underground scene with a friend.

hope this helps !!!